Hazzard Square

Hoss,are you going to do a similar thread on the ranches now that you've finished the Hazzard Square thread?

I don't want to be greedy - I'd be quite happy if you did that one, CD.

I couldn't finish this thread without including the TV movies. The Reunion movie starts out on W Potrero Road. Apart from Thornton Ranch Road having a better road surface, it still look roughly the same today. Check it out here on Google Street View.

SignReunion.jpg

We soon find ourselves back in the square. At first glance it doesn't look much different, but look a little deeper and nearly all the businesses have changed. I'm not sure if this was to differentiate the movies from the TV show, or just that all the original signage had gone. Here's a scene setting shot that I've included for Roger - I thought he'd like the tractor!.

BannerReunion.jpg

The drug store in Hazzard (building #7) survived all seven seasons, but has now been replaced by the Hazzard Bakery. I'll post an interior picture later.

BakeryReunion.jpg

Next door, the Hazzard Picture Palace has made way for Kelley's Coffee Shop.

KelleysReunion.jpg

This is the garage of Red Perkins (Hazzard's second best mechanic until Cooter went to Congress, then he became number one). Regular readers of this thread will recognize it as building #25.

GarageReunion.jpg

Opposite the garage, French Street still looks much the same as it did at the end of season 7. It's clear that some of the stores at the other end of the street have signage, but they're too far away and too blurry to see what they are. I was hoping to get a look down the street to see what had happened to Cooter's garage, but we never get to see. I'm guessing it had been torn down by now because we don't get to see it at any time in the movie.

FrenchStReunion.jpg

During the seven seasons of the TV show the Boar's Nest moved locations a few times, but always looked pretty much the same (I'm only talking about the California episodes). In Reunion the Boar's Nest is a completely different building.

BoarsNestReunion.jpg

These are the buildings seen to the left of the Boar's Nest as Cooter drives in with the General in tow. Take a look at the background buildings as I'll be returning to them in a few posts' time.

BoarsNest2Reunion.jpg

I'm sorry these aren't in order, but I've got loads of pictures and I'm trying to identify the locations and group them into sets of four.

It's not only the Boar's Nest that turns up in a completely different building. This is the new Duke farm. The trees disguise the location pretty well, and it took a bit of tracking down ...

FarmReunion.jpg

Luckily, pictures of houses from Gilmore Girls have helped me out once again. Apparently this is Lorelai's house, which turns out to be the back of what we know as Boss Hogg's house. If you look at the picture above you can still see some of what's left of the building that served as the 'Capitol City Distributing Co.' in 'Cooter's Confession'. This picture also shows that some of the left side of the house has also been remodeled since the Reunion movie.

Farm2Reunion.jpg

For most of the TV series the barber shop occupied building #4. For the movie the barber shop is in building #5. Building #6 looks like it has been occupied recently (see marks on window), but is now 'For Lease'.

BarberReunion.jpg

The original barber shop now just has the word 'Curios' across the windows. Sorry about the blurry nature of this photo - we only get to see it briefly during Daisy's abduction.

CuriosReunion.jpg

If Cooter's was torn down, then Rhuebottom's must have been torn down too (it's definitely gone now). That left an opening for a general store in Hazzard. The new Hazzard General Store is in building #1.

GeneralStoreReunion.jpg

One thing I noticed about Reunion Hazzard is the number of independent businesses. I know Boss Hogg had passed away, but Rosco was meant to have taken over, yet neither of their names seem to appear on any stores. Building #3, which always served as Boss's bank, is now Mama Max's Development Corporation (this is the best shot I could get of the sign).

OldBank1Reunion.jpg

The interior scenes were actually filmed inside building #3, as can be seen in this shot of Rosco leaving. The church is clearly visible in the background.

OldBank2Reunion.jpg

We never get a good look at the outside, but the window signage says Real Estate.

OldBank3Reunion.jpg

I've decided to dedicate this post to one building, because sadly it's no longer standing. In Reunion it was used as the Hazzard Cotton Mill where Daisy is held after she's kidnapped.

Cotton1Reunion.jpg

If you thought the windows in the last picture looked familiar it's because it's the same building that was seen next to the Boar's Nest above (I told y'all to remember it!). If you look really closely at the right of the building you can just see the black and white pillars at the front. This is the scene where Luke fires the rope across from the tree.

Cotton2Reunion.jpg

The building was the Courthouse in the old Laramie Street set that we've seen a couple of times before (Mufn mentioned its use a while back). A small view of Laramie Street can be seen in the background of this shot while the guards are shooting a bird. I found this site with a load of great pictures of Laramie Street just before it was torn down (the courthouse is the first one on the linked page - click the images to enlarge them).

Cotton4Reunion.jpg

This shot is of the boys outside the cotton mill, unloading their trunk after rescuing Daisy. The small building in the background is the same one seen in the second Boar's Nest picture a few posts back (the night shot with Cooter's tow truck).

Cotton3Reunion.jpg

Back to the stores in the square now. Building #9 spent over six seasons as the 'Hazzard Telephone Co.' (or similarly named businesses). Maybe everything's automated by Reunion, because Hazzard gets the 'Town Square Beauty Parlor' in its place. Is it just me who thinks the woman at the back looks like Shelley Long when she was in 'Cheers'?.

BeautyReunion.jpg

Building #10's fascia has been completely remodeled for Reunion. In the past it's been businesses like 'Seth M. Berley & Co.', but now it has a stone frontage with lamps either side of the entrance. The overall design and sign over the door makes me think it's probably a firm of lawyers, but it plays no part in the movie. This is the clearest shot of the sign that I could get - it's called something like 'Titcher Titcher & Wilson'. I checked to see if it was named after anyone in the crew, but nothing looked similar - if you have a better guess, please post it.

TTWReunion.jpg

Neither Miz Tisdale or the post office appear in Reunion. Nedra Volz's last acting credit was the year before (she seemed to be getting typecast; three of her last roles were credited as 'Old Lady', 'Old Lady' and 'Very Old Woman'). Reunion was Denver Pyle's last acting credit - it would have been nice if Nedra Volz had joined him for a last romance.

The post Office got briefly replaced (by a coffee shop) in the season 7. Now it seems to be an antiques shop. The long shots show a gold and green sign above the window (see right side of picture above), but it's never shown close enough to read.

AntiquesReunion.jpg

The last store on this block is building #12. For the last few seasons it was 'Joe's Hardware' and more recently 'Hazzard Hardware and Sporting Goods'. Now it's 'Hazzard Dry Goods' which claims to have been in business since 1906. I wonder where it was located during seven seasons of the TV show (those of you who've followed this thread since the start will remember that a dry goods store did make a single appearance in this location for the episode 'Route 7-11'). Keen-eyed readers will notice that since the end of season 7 the entrance door has been pushed out to be flush with the windows.

DryGoodsReunion.jpg

This is the last of the pictures from Reunion, so there's no particular theme to them.

Following on from the last post, the building across the alleyway from the dry goods store used to be the hotel. In Reunion there's no indication that it's even occupied. The sign for St. Jacobs German Remedy has also disappeared from the building next door.

HotelReunion.jpg

Although virtually all the businesses in Hazzard Square have changed since the end of season 7, most of the buildings are as we remember them. At the end of square, however, the old building #16 has been replaced with a much larger one. The new building (mainly hidden by the tree) is three storeys high and considerably wider than the original (there's still no depth to it, as can be seen from the aerial views).

Building16Reunion.jpg

This is the street where Boss's house used to be. Rosco is meant to have taken over, but I don't know if that includes his house. We don't get to see much of this street, but I didn't spot any major changes.

StreetReunion.jpg

Finally, because I promised it a few posts back, here's the interior of the bakery. I've inset the window sign that claims they've been making "Speciality Cakes Since 1956". The last time the square had a bakery it was the 'Hazzard Square Bakery' back in season 4, and then it was in buildng #12. It seems odd that so many of the businesses were changed for Reunion, yet the bakery and the dry goods store both claim to have been in existence for decades.

Bakery2_Reunion.jpg

Sorry the last part of this thread has taken a while, but I haven't forgotten 'Hazzard in Hollywood'. I've been busy sorting through all the pictures and tracking down locations. I'm going to go slightly off-topic with some of the posts and look at some of the other parts of LA that were used for filming.

I'll start with a recognizable scene from Hazzard Square. The 6th Annual Hazzard Hoe-Down (featuring Toby Keith) takes place roughly between buildings 19 and 21. The house on the left is the one next to Boss's old house. In fact, this picture is very similar to the view of the arrival 'Double Zero' two pictures back. As for the rest of the square, it's obvious that the businesses have changed again, but the only one I could make out was a cafe, and I couldn't get a clear shot of that.

Hoe-DownHiH.jpg

When the Dukes, Cooter, Rosco and Cletus arrive in LA they start off with a bit of sightseeing. I've included four of the locations below. They were only filmed eleven years ago, and haven't changed that much.

The first is the General and Rosco's RV turning onto Sunset Boulevard from North La Brea Avenue. El Pollo Loco has changed it's signage, but is still there - see Google Street View here. The second picture is Pacific's Cinerama Theatre on Sunset Boulevard. You can see that here. The third picture shows the 'Oldest Restaurant in Hollywood' - Musso & Frank Grill on Hollywood Boulevard. The trees have grown too much to show the sign from the same side, but the other side can be seen here. We're back on Sunset Boulevard for the last picture. The Directors Guild of America is here.

LATourHiH.jpg

I thought this one deserved to be full size. At last we see the famous Hollywood sign as the General heads up North Gower Street and is just about to cross Franklin Avenue. It's amazing what a difference a lens can make. The sign is clearly visible here, but on Street View the hills look much further away.

FranklinAvHiH.jpg

The last four pictures are all in the same location, the corner of Riverside Drive and Whitsett Avenue (big clue in the second picture!). You can see all the views by spinning around the Street View. It looks like the store was a real liquor store that's still there today.

WhitsettHiH.jpg

When Rosco's RV is stolen, the chase is on. Bo and Luke spot it going through this tunnel and give chase. The tunnel is on Mount Hollywood Drive in Griffith Park - check it out here.

Griffith1HiH.jpg

Rosco and Cletus pick a different direction. This is the same intersection as above, but facing the other way. Some of the other shots, including the view of the Griffith Observatory, were filmed on the unpaved roads nearby.

Griffith2HiH.jpg

Rosco and Cletus's search leads them to this street. The stores may be new, but it's the same old New York Street set underneath. The street also seems to include every racial/social stereotype that the writers could think of (or get away with).

AntiquesHiH.jpg

Meanwhile, Bo and Luke's pursuit ends when they stop to 'even the odds' in a fight. The fight, the meeting with Cypriano and friends, and the General Lee jump all take place at the end of Silver Lake Boulevard - you can see it here. If you've clicked on the Street View link, you'll also see the house on the corner of Glenhurst Avenue where the block party takes place. The house where Bo picks up Gabriela is three houses down. It looks like the present owners aren't so keen on gardening.

SilverLakeHiH.jpg

When Rosco's RV is stolen, the chase is on. Bo and Luke spot it going through this tunnel and give chase. The tunnel is on Mount Hollywood Drive in Griffith Park - check it out here.

Griffith1HiH.jpg

This spot looks familiar too, that it was used in other tv shows. I almost think it was used previously in the Dukes too during the original run. I think I know what episode but I gotta check the DVD to be sure. But I remember a scene involving some bad guys having to get out of the tunnel driving backwards and Waylon saying, "Glad that's not my transmission." LOL.

After looking at the Google image, from the other side of the tunnel, I also think this was used in the 1972 James Garner movie "They Only Kill Their Masters." But again, I might be wrong on that too, it's been years since I've seen the movie and I don't have that on DVD to check.

This spot looks familiar too, that it was used in other tv shows. I almost think it was used previously in the Dukes too during the original run. I think I know what episode but I gotta check the DVD to be sure. But I remember a scene involving some bad guys having to get out of the tunnel driving backwards and Waylon saying, "Glad that's not my transmission." LOL.

I don't know about the James Garner movie, but the tunnel from the original run of Dukes was in 'Witness for the Persecution' in season 2.

Tunnel0209.jpg

Here's the line you remembered:

Tunnel2_0209.jpg

This tunnel is on Soledad Canyon Road, a few miles east of Santa Clarita. It was also the tunnel that was used in Steven Spielberg's movie 'Duel'. You can check it out on Street View here.

This is B.B. leaving his house. I don't have any other reference pictures to go by, but I think this house is the one that replaced Cooter's garage in Hazzard Square (and the house next to it replaced Rhuebottom's).

HouseHiH.jpg

This is the scene where the Russians are chasing Bo and Luke from the campsite. I nearly left this picture out because I wasn't able to identify the location. Most of the other LA locations have either a recognizable landmark, street name or business. However, it turns out that there's more than one McDonalds in LA (who'd have thought it!). It did eventually work out that it's Fletcher Drive, just around the corner from Silver Lake Boulevard (see above). The camera lens really shortens the road here. The tire shop appears to be miles away from the Chevron gas station when you look in Street View. The blue, white and yellow sign (patrly hidden by the tree on the left) is 'M & W Liquor' (still there), while the blue and red sign is for 'York Sheet Metal'. Their sign has changed, but their phone number is still the same. The other liquor store and the tire shop with 'Drive Service' on the wall that appear just after this are slightly further down the same street (do a 180 in the Street View link).

FletcherDriveHiH.jpg

It apppears that the General skids around the corner by the second tire shop and pulls into a car wash. In real life, the car wash is 10 minutes away, across Silver Lake Reservoir, on the corner of Prospect Avenue and Vermont Avenue. 'Orange Bee Jay' is now 'Machos Tacos', but the car wash is still there - they do a wash and wax for $9.99 (or $8.99 if you believe their other sign). Sadly, it's under new management, and staff are now fully clothed. Check it out on Street View, the empty concrete building seen in the background in the movie is now US Bank and Starbucks Coffee.

Bo: You know, Luke, I think this would go over real big in Hazzard.

Luke: I love this town.

OrangeBeeJayHiH.jpg

As Mufn pointed out back on post #77, the ATM that Rosco uses/destroys is on the New York Street set. It's the same building that played the Bank of Capitol City a couple of times.

ATM2HiH.jpg

I don't know about the James Garner movie, but the tunnel from the original run of Dukes was in 'Witness for the Persecution' in season 2.

Tunnel0209.jpg

Here's the line you remembered:

Tunnel2_0209.jpg

This tunnel is on Soledad Canyon Road, a few miles east of Santa Clarita. It was also the tunnel that was used in Steven Spielberg's movie 'Duel'. You can check it out on Street View here.

Hoss, you are GOOD! That's the episode I was thinkin' of. ;)

I remember it now from "Duel" as well.

Obviously not the same tunnel but y'all can see why I thought it was the same. LOL

This is B.B. leaving his house. I don't have any other reference pictures to go by, but I think this house is the one that replaced Cooter's garage in Hazzard Square (and the house next to it replaced Rhuebottom's).

HouseHiH.jpg

I think you're right as it looks like the courthouse reflection on the car.

I think you're right as it looks like the courthouse reflection on the car.

Not the first time a reflection has helped us out!.

Since you've started it I've been wondering how difficult and time consuming it is to organize all this.

More difficult and time consuming than I first thought it would be!.

This is Patch on the phone just before he's confronted by Deacon and her boys. The stores are purely background, and play no part in the story. As far as I can tell this is the other arm of New York Street. If you go back to the map, it's about five stores to the left of the 'B'. The store with the circular top floor that's visible on the map seems to have been added later.

StoresHiH.jpg

'Hazzard in Hollywood' has two black and white sequences, and I'll deal with the second in a couple of posts' time. The first is when Luke reminisces about saying goodbye to Anita Blackwood. The store on the left looks like it's building #26 on French Street. A very small part of the house that replaced Rhuebottom's is visible in the background.

Flashback1HiH.jpg

Apart from knowing that this scene wasn't filmed in French Street, it initially had me stumped. Then I recognized the former hotel in Hazzard Square (building #13) on the left. That would mean that the store on the right with 'Clothing' on is part of the new building #16.

Flashback2HiH.jpg

While trying to sell her motorcycle, Daisy stumbles onto a movie set. This street is another part of the unnamed set that's near New York Street (as used in 'Big Brothers, Duke' etc.). Daisy enters the set from near the Warner Boulevard entrance. This set also appears in another scene later on, but that's for another post.

DaisySetHiH.jpg

This is the view as the General drives away from the Bloody Bucket club. The buildings in front are part of French Street. The ones at the side are new, which means that Red Perkins' garage (building #25) from Reunion has finally been replaced by the buildings that are shown on the map. Enos is shown running down French Street a little later on.

FrenchSt2HiH.jpg

The music pirating business is being run from the back of the old Hazzard Square drug store (building #7). The front of the store looks quite derelict. I considered posting picture of Bo and Luke's arrival at this location because it shows a wider view, but it takes place at night, and the other buildings aren't visible. Building #6 has a very different look to how it appeared in the series. Building #5 now seems to offer shoe repairs.

DrugStore2HiH.jpg

For some reason this shot of Gabby driving the General away to get help has been mirrored. It's probably to be consistant with the wide shot that shows the car traveling right to left. I guess they never thought anyone would notice. They were a couple of scenes in the series where they did the same thing. The store in the background is Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits on North Hollywood Way - check it out here.

PopeyesHiH.jpg

As they try to escape, Bo and Luke get cornered in this alley. It's the alley between buildings 12 and 13. Luckily, Daisy rescues them with the help of the prop gun she "borrowed" from the movie set.

AlleyHiH.jpg

After Daisy rescues Bo and Luke they all escape in the General with Gabby. The following chase leads them all around Warner Bros' back lot, although not in a particularly logical order. The first car full of bad guys gets taken out by Cypriano And Deacon somewhere behind one of the main sets. Next the General appears in the unnamed set not far from where Daisy did her stunt work earlier. They go down the same street twice (filmed from different angles) before crashing through a fake wall onto the set of the first of many movie shoots.

Chase1HiH.jpg

The next movie set they drive through is over near the Forest Lawn Drive entrance. If you look at the map that MeadowMufn posted here, it's the building in the center at the bottom. The ambulance then joins the chase.

Chase2HiH.jpg

The chase then plows straight through Laramie Street (despite the fact that they were heading in the opposite direction in the last scene).

Laramie1HiH.jpg

Another movie ruined as the actors have to get out of the way. This must have been one of the last movies filmed in Laramie Street as it was only used for nine days of filming in the five years before it was torn down (according to this article).

Laramie2HiH.jpg

I said there was another black and white sequence, and here it is. Towards the end of the chase they drive through the set of a war movie. You may recognize this building from near the cotton mill in Reunion. Just like the scene with Gabby driving the General (see above), when this building is seen a second time the picture has been mirrored (the writing is obviously backwards). Also the General briefly appears with an uncharacteristic '10' on the door. Maybe that's what Daisy saw when she says "Did you notice anything weird back there?".

WarScene1HiH.jpg

Another picture from the war scene. I think this is a beautiful atmospheric shot with the light breaking through the clouds, highlighting the curves of the General. Blink and you'll miss it - it's only on screen for less than a second. The building in the background was the cotton mill in Reunion aka. Laramie Street's courthouse.

WarScene2HiH.jpg

Finally, everybody returns to Hazzard for the groundbreaking ("And I do mean everybody."). This is how French Street looks in daylight. The new building #25 is the one with blue awnings - the scene when they leave the Bloody Bucket was filmed here (see above). The building in the background with the green roof is a front that's been added to one of the sound stages so that it doesn't look like a sound stage!.

FrenchStHiH.jpg

I thought it appropriate that the final picture was an overview of the square (taken from somewhere near building #1). The crowds are gathering for the concert of Toby Keith and Anita Blackwood, and as is well in Hazzard once again.

SquareHiH.jpg

I forgot to post a link to a blogspot I found whilst writing this thread. Check out dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com for a load of pictures of Hollywood filming locations. The link above highlights some Warner Bros films, and includes some great hi-resolution pictures of how Hazzard Square looks today (click on the pictures to enlarge them). It also shows how the backlots we're familiar with have been used in many other shows and movies over the years.

• 4 weeks later...

Back on page 3 of this thread I tried to identify the black car with the white roof from 'Southern Comfurts':

Opposite Boss's house is this house. I don't remember it being used for anything, but if you know differently, let me know. I've also been trying to identify the car with the white roof on the far left. It looks like something from the late 50s.

BackgroundHouse0223.jpg

I forgot about it until the other day when I was getting some screengrabs from 'Enos's Last Chance' and spotted the car again:

Lincoln.jpg

These were the best pictures I could get, but they were enough to identify it as a 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V (so I was at least one year out ;)). The back of the roofline looks like it dips slightly in the picture on the left, so it may be a convertible. There's one for sale on ebay at the moment for $35k. Here's what they look like from the front:

800px-1960_Lincoln_Continental.jpg

Lincoln.jpg

These were the best pictures I could get, but they were enough to identify it as a 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V (so I was at least one year out ;)). The back of the roofline looks like it dips slightly in the picture on the left, so it may be a convertible. There's one for sale on ebay at the moment for $35k. Here's what they look like from the front:

800px-1960_Lincoln_Continental.jpg

I wonder who owned that car. Did any of the cast members own it? Or was it one of Warner Brothers background cars. Whatever the case I'd love to know what happened to it :)

Griffith1HiH.jpg

If I'm not mistaken it was used briefly in Diamonds in the Rough. I cant remember exactly when,but i think it was just after Bo and Luke got the Bugs Bunny doll.