Arrest Chet Duke!

MaryAnne

*grits teeth as Diablo's heavy-coil suspension makes the big Chevy bounce and rock up the hill * ...fallin' apart....ah know the feelin'...

*hanging on to the roof column with right hand, the injuries irritated by the rough ride.*

*Glances in the mirrors at Garrett again* If you know of this place, ah'm willin' to bet Chet knows of it....

*glances at Garrett, getting no reply.. a moment later the road curves around again, a small cabin coming into view* Well theres Hotel Hideout, doesnt look too bad, might even hold up in a high wind... *pulls up to it and shuts the engine down* I think Chet probably does know of this place so it might be a good idea to keep Garrett nice and secure...

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*glances at Garrett, getting no reply.. a moment later the road curves around again, a small cabin coming into view* Well theres Hotel Hideout, doesnt look too bad, might even hold up in a high wind... *pulls up to it and shuts the engine down* I think Chet probably does know of this place so it might be a good idea to keep Garrett nice and secure...

*looks the place over, getting out of Diablo rather stiffly, thanks to the bandages around ribcage....holding the passenger door open for Garrett to get out*

Eh, Chet's nice n' secure himself at the moment. And so long as Garrett behaves and conducts himself with some measure of honor, ah'll let him keep his dignity.

*walks behind Garrett towards the cabin, one arm pressed to own side* But if he blows it and does somethin' stupid, then you can tie him to a tree. For now, he's a guest.

*looks the place over, getting out of Diablo rather stiffly, thanks to the bandages around ribcage....holding the passenger door open for Garrett to get out*

Eh, Chet's nice n' secure himself at the moment. And so long as Garrett behaves and conducts himself with some measure of honor, ah'll let him keep his dignity.

*walks behind Garrett towards the cabin, one arm pressed to own side* But if he blows it and does somethin' stupid, then you can tie him to a tree. For now, he's a guest.

I'd assume Chet would know about it *finally answers before coming to a halt, for a brief moment, in surprise and relief at Brian's response.*

You got it. *not being easy on the gas pedal as I drop the car into gear again and squeal the tires as we head out of town. Not being sure how well Daney knows the area, I take a convoluted route over fields, over a stream or two and along twisty-turny roads that are more cowpath than anything.*

*After many miles of some unfamiliar scenery, I stop thinking about what Luke's ulterior motive is for certain behavior. There is an old rusted late model Chevelle parked in a field. A medium size gray bird perched on its rooftop.* Bo...

*Leaving Chet still locked up in his wrecked jail cell and in a subdued state from the tranquilizer, MaryAnne left the courthouse and walked across the square toward Chance’s clinic*

*She slowed as she approached. Diablo was gone. And the place seemed exceptionally quiet*

*MaryAnne ascended the stairs and went into the clinic. She stood at the doorway to the exam room and found the two tables were empty. Brian, Garrett, Alex…the Duke boys. Everybody was gone*

*She walked into the empty room and approached the table where Brian had been. She touched the cut piece of handcuff that was still locked to the bedrail and frowned. That damn fool…. She let go of the cuff with a clatter and turned, walking out of the room and exiting the clinic*

So now that we've escaped town, what are the plans? *As they get to the cabin door, stops a moment looking at the somewhat battered door, then looks the rest of the cabin over...opens the door and takes a few cautious steps in, leaning on one foot to make sure floor can support his weight, waits a moment holding still to see if floor will crash in or not...* Well so far so good... *turns to Brian and Garrett and waves them inside*

So now that we've escaped town, what are the plans? *As they get to the cabin door, stops a moment looking at the somewhat battered door, then looks the rest of the cabin over...opens the door and takes a few cautious steps in, leaning on one foot to make sure floor can support his weight, waits a moment holding still to see if floor will go crash in or not...* Well so far so good... *turns to Brian and Garrett and waves them inside*

*walks inside behind Alex and Garrett* Plans... *goes to take a deep breath, but at the stabbing pain of the bad ribs, hitches the air short and exhales slow* ....yeah, plans. Well. I got a plan but nobody is gonna like it. I figure Chet's got a good mad goin' by now, if anybody's told 'em about his horse. Hell, he don't even know we have Garrett yet.

*looks at Alex directly, expression neutral* I figured I'd send Daniel to bail Chet out. Git him outta the jail before he endangers MaryAnne with the tempermental fits he's famous for.

*pauses, then adds* ....and then I'll meet up with him. Alone.

*walks inside behind Alex and Garrett* Plans... *goes to take a deep breath, but at the stabbing pain of the bad ribs, hitches the air short and exhales slow* ....yeah, plans. Well. I got a plan but nobody is gonna like it. I figure Chet's got a good mad goin' by now, if anybody's told 'em about his horse. Hell, he don't even know we have Garrett yet.

*looks at Alex directly, expression neutral* I figured I'd send Daniel to bail Chet out. Git him outta the jail before the endangers MaryAnne with the tempermental fits he's famous for.

*pauses, then adds* ....and then I'll meet up with him. Alone.

*cocks an eyebrow at the plans* Youre right I dont like it! Brian...*sighs* You can't even stand up straight! Youre going to meet up with Chet? Who is unfortunately way too healthy right now! He knows exactly what he did to you and is going to use that!

*Taking a cautious step away from Brian and Alex before stopping to eye Brian and listen in to his plans he has for Chet. When he finishes, opens mouth to speak before closing it and remaining silent. Figuring Brian would already be aware of the obvious; Brian being hurt compared to a strong and healthy Chet.*

*back at the courthouse, MaryAnne returned to the booking room. She went up to the booking desk and picked up the tranquilizer gun to put it aside. She stopped, however, and looked at it.*

*Brian was out there somewhere, planning God knew what and probably risking further injury to himself in the process. She was sure, as long as Chet was in jail, she would meet up with her cousin again at some point.*

*She thought of an idea.*

*She took the gun and left the booking room, going down the hall to the Game Warden's office. It only took a few minutes for MaryAnne to prepare a couple of more tranquilizer darts. She loaded one into the gun and tucked the other one into a special casing, then slipping it into the front pocket of her uniform shirt.*

*Chet's wrath had been brutal and if bars had not seperated him from her, MaryAnne was sure she would've been seriously injured.*

*Brian's wrath could be brutal too, if it got to that point. But MaryAnne wasn't worried about her cousin's wrath hurting her. She was more worried about him hurting himself further*

*MaryAnne slipped the tranquilizer gun inside her gunbelt, opposite the hip where her .38 was holstered.*

*It was times like these when she really hated wearing a badge...*

*Taking a cautious step away from Brian and Alex before stopping to eye Brian and listen in to his plans he has for Chet. When he finishes, opens mouth to speak before closing it and remaining silent. Figuring Brian would already be aware of the obvious; Brian being hurt compared to a strong and healthy Chet.*

*having expected Alex's objection, finds self rather surprised to catch the misgiving in Garrett's eyes. Looks at the captive Duke, curious*

You think Chet would take advantage of mah current condition?

*having expected Alex's objection, finds self rather surprised to catch the misgiving in Garrett's eyes. Looks at the captive Duke, curious*

You think Chet would take advantage of mah current condition?

*Raises eye brow at Brian before nodding slightly. After a moment of hesitation, finds self speaking up despite my own arguments.* You stole his horse, Brian. The one thing he loves most in life. *Sighs heavily before coughing slightly in pain. Searches pockets for cigarette to come up empty.* He'll do whatever it takes to get to the person responsible for his horse disappearing. Namely, you.

*Raises eye brow at Brian before nodding slightly. After a moment of hesitation, finds self speaking up despite my own arguments.* You stole his horse, Brian. The one thing he loves most in life. *Sighs heavily before coughing slightly in pain. Searches pockets for cigarette to come up empty.* He'll do whatever it takes to get to the person responsible for his horse disappearing. Namely, you.

Reckon he would. *gestures for Garrett to have a seat by the old rickety table and chairs that are inside of the cabin. Reaches into inner jacket pocket and takes out a packet of Winstons. Taps out a cigarette and hands it to Garrett. Taps another out for Alex and for own self, then sits down at the table and flicks the lighter up. After the three smokes are lit, exhales a shallow breath of smoke and considers Garrett again*

What, or who, does Chet love second most in life? *asks casually*

Reckon he would. *gestures for Garrett to have a seat by the old rickety table and chairs that are inside of the cabin. Reaches into inner jacket pocket and takes out a packet of Winstons. Taps out a cigarette and hands it to Garrett. Taps another out for Alex and for own self, then sits down at the table and flicks the lighter up. After the three smokes are lit, exhales a shallow breath of smoke and considers Garrett again*

What, or who, does Chet love second most in life? *asks casually*

*Lets out a breath of air in relief while taking a seat before taking the offered cigarette. After getting it lit, nods in appreciation towards Brian while pondering his question with curiosity.* Honestly, after his horse, don't know what else or who else Chet would love next.

*Lets out a breath of air in relief while taking a seat before taking the offered cigarette. After getting it lit, nods in appreciation towards Brian while pondering his question with curiosity.* Honestly, after his horse, don't know what else or who else Chet would love next.

Not his brother? *quietly spoken*

*Inhales deeply on cigarette before breathing out over shoulder. Before nodding slightly to make brief eye contact with Brian.* I doubt it. *Goes silent in thought.*

(Well gotta get to bed, catch up with y'all tomorrow night.)

*raises an eyebrow at this answer, not sure of the accuracy*

Tell that to mah ribs and innards. The way Chet reacted when I drew a gun on ya, tells me that you're worth more than you think.

*glances over at Alex* And we know Daney means somethin' to Garrett. But I don't know if her and Chet evah seen eye to eye.

*raises an eyebrow at this answer, not sure of the accuracy*

Tell that to mah ribs and innards. The way Chet reacted when I drew a gun on ya, tells me that you're worth more than you think.

*glances over at Alex* And we know Daney means somethin' to Garrett. But I don't know if her and Chet evah seen eye to eye.

*has a drag on the smoke and turns head to blow it out giving a nod* I think if you really want to get Chet's attention, we have the two biggest things he cares about in our possession, the horse and Garrett... *tapes ash a moment* I dont know if Daney would get his attention as much...

*has a drag on the smoke and turns head to blow it out giving a nod* I think if you really want to get Chet's attention, we have the two biggest things he cares about in our possession, the horse and Garrett... *tapes ash a moment* I dont know if Daney would get his attention as much...

Daney ain't gonna score as high with him, no. But it's enuff for me that she's valuable to Garrett, and that he is, to her. Everybody's got a stake in this thang somehow.

*doesn't mention what own personal stakes might be. After a moment of silent thought, makes a decision*

Alex, see if you can git that ol' fireplace goin' over there. Make just enuff smoke for Daniel to track us down.

Daney ain't gonna score as high with him, no. But it's enuff for me that she's valuable to Garrett, and that he is, to her. Everybody's got a stake in this thang somehow.

*doesn't mention what own personal stakes might be. After a moment of silent thought, makes a decision*

Alex, see if you can git that ol' fireplace goin' over there. Make just enuff smoke for Daniel to track us down.

*Gives a nod and stands up.. tucks smoke between lips and goes over to the fireplace... theres a rusty metal bucket filled with tattered papers and he crouches down andbegins to wad them up and put them in the grate* Wont be a problem with this stuff, looks ancient! *theres some equally dusty and spider web covered logs and picks up a couple and puts them among the paper...finally takes lighter out and flicks it to flame and touches it to the paper...after a moment they catch...*

Guest DanielPHorse
*Gives a nod and stands up.. tucks smoke between lips and goes over to the fireplace... theres a rusty metal bucket filled with tattered papers and he crouches down andbegins to wad them up and put them in the grate* Wont be a problem with this stuff, looks ancient! *theres some equally dusty and spider web covered logs and picks up a couple and puts them among the paper...finally takes lighter out and flicks it to flame and touches it to the paper...after a moment they catch...*

*A short while later, from the north pasture of his farm on Loeb Creek, Daniel sits on his buckskin mustang, Swift, and watches the sky as a small plume of smoke starts just north of town and then starts to grow a bt bigger. It's not like smoke from a grass or forest fire, it's more controlled somehow, very deliberate. Leaving Chet's horse tucked away safely in a secret location around his property, Daniel kicks Swift into a trot and heads toward the fire*

Out this far we won't get any radio signals - and we gotta keep listenin' for the CB, in case Brian or MaryAnne calls for us. Besides, it won't be much longer. *still driving, looking around for a few choice turnoffs.*

Ok, Bo*replies and glances down at the CB mic and box again. Thinking about how one item can mean so much. Move just a little to sit more comfortable. My head makes accidental contact with Luke's arm still draped across the top of the seat. I say quickly.* Sorry, Luke.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.