The Marines

LoriDavenport

Now I've always been partail to this one branch of the services for awhile now. I've done my research and Im thinking about joining the marines after I get out of highschool. Now I was wondering if we got any vets on here from the marines or any branch of the service really. Id like to get some info on the marines in particular though!:D

Hi Lori, I was in the Marine Reserves from 1978-1984. A big part of your Marine Corps experience will depend on what kind of military job you select and what the Middle East situation is like in the future. The best advice I can give you is to talk to people who are in now or have currently gotten out because I'm sure things have changed since I've been in. Those are the people who can give you the best advice so I'd talk to as many of them as you can. Don't make any hasty decisions. Learn as much as you can before you sign any papers because this is serious stuff.

Really Roger? I didn't knwo you was in the marines....the closest base to me I think is at Camp LeJune...or however you spell it...in North Carolina I believe. I know it is very serious and I tend to take it serious...I've given it alot of thought since I was in my freshman year of highschool...Im not going full force and saying I am going to join it cause I still have two years of highschool left, but...im considering it...and I think that I will as of now, but not sure if it'll stay the same in the future...cause to be honest I haven't the slightest clue what I want to be when Im and adult.

I spent 3 months at Lejeune and 3 months at Parris Island South Carolina. If you want to see what Marine Corps boot camp was like back in those days watch the first half of the movie "Full Metal Jacket". Before I saw it, if somebody told me they could make a realistic movie about boot camp, I wouldn't have believed them. I would guess things have changed a lot since that was made though.

• 1 year later...

Well, to update this a little...

I'm not going into the Marines...

I go to the Army Recruiter's office tomorrow so he can help me fill out my package. Im so nervous. I had to retake my ASVAB test since my junior year. I scored a 28-29 on it. My recruiter told me that where the score for the Army was a 31 I was too da**ed close not to try again, so...I did and, as my recruiter says, at this point, unofficially, I received a 36! So, my future is definitely in the Army.

Awesome, well I'm happy for you..don't know what advice I could give..although in my family history most of the men were in the Marines, Army, etc. it when from my Great-Grandpa who was in the Marines, to my Grandpa who fought in Vietnam and my dad couldn't go because when he was considering it, he got hurt..but now if I were to join, I would become one of the few women in my family to be in the Armed Forces...but I'm not considering it.

• 2 months later...

Oh wow! That's so great Lori!

I was planning to take my post secondary schooling with the Canadian Armed Forces. They have a program where you can take your post secondary schooling with them almost for free and then pay back with years of service. As it turned out, to go for and engineer, it would take me 5 years of school, and then I would have to pay back with 10 years of service after that (I'm pretty sure lol).

My parents and family wouldn't let me go to Ottawa and look into it tho. They said that the Army was no place for me. I strongly disagree with them, but with no support it's pretty hard to do anything...

So I'm proud of you Lori!

Thanks you guys! :D Im gonna need all the prayin' I can get LOL.

Another update, I did in fact pass my ASVAB test the official score was the same as my unofficial one so, I was really excited about that. Alls that's left is the pre-Army training. I have until 2011 of September to fully enlist into the Army and believe me, I'll be ready to go by then!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest SleepysRose

Congratulations Lorrie. I wish you the best girl. But I am a "Squid's" daughter, and a "Squid's" Grand daugher and a "Jar Head's" niece. So I wish you the best girl and God Bless you as well!