Days of Shine and Romance!

DixieDavenport

Uncle Jesse greeted her at Midnight, "Loren Duke! Do you mind telling me just where you have been?"

Lori looked around and saw that even BL was staying with Daisy tonight, just her luck! She said, "Ah, ....."

Uncle Jesse cautioned, "And, don't you dare lie to me or I'll take you to the woodshed now instead of hearing where you were FIRST!"

Lori winced, sighed and said, "Chickasaw."

Jesse face was getting red.

Lori saw where Luke got his temper.

Jesse may not loose his temper often but it wasn't pretty when he did and now was one of those times when he was about to. "WHY, pray tale was ya in Chickasaw in the middle of the night?"

Lori gulped big and studdered,"I uh....uh....I...visiting Mindy Bell?"

Jesse Duke's red face went to purple, "Mindy BELL my hind LEG!!! Woodshed!"

Lori had grown up in this mans house and knew she had pushed it too far! She hadn't been to Jesse woodshed since she was nine and her and Luke had gotten caught playing show and tell. Lori went to the woodshed with Jesse right behind her. She already knew the 'drill' she grabbed her ankles and waited.

Jesse took the leather strap that hung on a hook for this purpose and gave her one nice smack right across her bottom, mainly to prove to her that he WOULD still whip her just like the others, but because she lied to him. "Now why were you in Chickasaw tonight."

"Visiting Mindy Bell." Lori said with her behind a bit warm from the leather acrost her jeaned bottom.

Jesse let her have another two swats a bit harder. "Loren DUKE why were you in Chickasaw?"

Lori caught her breath and said very slowly, "Visiting Mindy Bell."

Jesse Duke said, "Loren, we can do this all night. You have lived here too long to lie to me!" He gave her three swats across her now sore behind.

Lori knew better than to flinch though her bottom was on FIRE.

Jesse asked her, "WERE YOU RUNNING MOONSHINE?"

Lori screamed through her tears,"OK OK OK I WAS RUNNING!!"

Jesse was a bit relieved that she answered him truthfully. He hated whipping 'his' kids. "Do I have to TELL you how much danger you are putting THIS entire family in by running SHINE NOW??"

Lori was shaking, she hadnt had a whipping like that since she was a nine,"No, Sir I already know Sir... I'm sorry Sir."

Jesse said, "Get up and set down. YOUR husband, two of his cousin and myelf are ENOUGH DUKES going to PRISON!!! Cooter thinks he has a consussion! Daisy and BL almost killed themselves gettingher to tell me.

Vance, Coy and I thought the place was on FIRE the way they came in here!"

Lori was shaking her head and gritting her teeth,"Uncle Jesse I dont think you'd understand it if I told you!"

Jesse looked at her, "You better start talking and HOPE I understand or grab them ankles again!"

Lori bursted,"ITS BOSS HOGG UNCLE JESSE!!!"

Jesse walked to her and put his arms around her, "Lori you have always been family and we is family! Don't carry burdens alone when you got family. I'll handle JD in the morning. Now off to bed with you."

Lori let out a shaky breath,"With all do respect sir I dont believe Ill be able to lay down.."

Jesse hugged her shoulders, "I'm sorry I had to do that, but I will not be lied to and YOU KNOW THAT."

Lori did know that she started walking toward the house very stif legged. She was gonna be really sore in the morning! She saw BL and the look on her face said.....................

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori looked to B.L. and said through gritted teeth,"You speak one word and I swear I'll knock you out!"

B.L. wanted to say something but didn't. Lori walked stiffly into the house and went to bed, seeing how red her bottom was. She layid on her side and whimpered, it hurt like heck to her. She sighed and fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~`

That next morning as everyone at the farm and jailhouse woke up.....

Jesse went to the jail to tell the boys to expect four explosions and with them he hoped they could plan to be that much closer to coming home.

Jesse walked in and saw the line, "Do I even want to know?"

Luke waved him off, "Lori? I heard her name on the radio last night. Then, I heard her go by. What is going on?"

Jesse said, "Other than a speeding ticket and a sore bottom for lying to me she's fine."

Luke asked with a wide grin, "Sore bottom?"

"What would you have gotten for lying to me son?" Jesse asked, then added, "repeatidly?"

Luke nodded and replied, "Shhhhheeeewwwww! How long did she stick to the lie?"

Jesse said, "Well, I got six good licks fore she quit telling me she was visiting Mindy Bell."

Luke had to laugh a little. But then he remembered the last time he had six licks from Jesse Duke after a father called wanting to know were his daughter was a 3 am! He couldn't set dwon for a week! "Mindy Bell again!" Luke shook his head. "Where did she get that name?"

Jesse got serious, "What I came to tell you is I met with Agent Roach. I gave him the location of THE FOUR still sites."

Jeb said, "But, there's ...."

Jesse said, "FOUR. I expect as they find them we'll here an explosion. Hopefully, with each you all can count on being home that much sooner. The deal should be signed next Monday when ya'll trial is set for. Then, they will sentence, ....... us. And, we'll be that much closer to getting you all home where you belong."

Luke asked, "Are you sure you wan to do THAT?"

Jesse replied, "It's done."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile Lori was ..............

As Jesse was leaving Lori was waking up at the farm house, all bright eyed and bushy tailed. She couldnt feel her behind, she slowly got up and got dressed, walking outside climbing in Midnight Rider.

She missed class that day, she pulled up to the jail house, having passed Jesse on the road.

She sighed and walked down seeing him and Bo, and Jeb gabbing about something. She knocked on the door Rosco getting up to let her in. Luke...

Luke was up and at the bars, "Lori are you OK? You scared ten yers off my life last night." As she walked towards him he saw the painful way she was walking and continued, "Da--! YOU know not to lie to Jesse! Da--IT!"He added, "Especially about something important!"

"Weeeell baby doll be prepared to be have another 10 years shaven off yer life, cause you'll never guess what I gotta do to get myself outta this mess..."

Luke looked at her confused, "What? AND don't even tell me ANOTHER ......." He was getting loud and he knew better with Rosco there. He lowered his voice and said, "one?"

Lori was suuure glad she was awa yfrom those bars some she spoke lowly to were Luke could hear her,"I have to sneak into Boss's office, get the contract I signed, Burn it, get the heck outta there AND if he catches me Im hopin all the authority thats runnin around now will be here.. sos I can blackmail him, cause once I burn that contract he has no evidence."

Luke looked at her and said very calmly, "When Cooter came told me about ya'll little talk yesterday, they ALMOST send us to ATLANTA right then, cause I raised so much he---! Would you like a repeat version?"

Lori looked to Luke and sighed,"No...but its the only way I'll get outta this deal I made with the devil... less you'd like me to run more 'stuff' and get caught and end up pregnant with your child in jail??"

Luke swore and said, "I"ve got good mind to have Rosco lock you up right now and get it over with!"

Lori glared at him,"IF THAT'LL HELP YOU SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT THEN DO IT!"

"What has THAT got to do with sleeping better? DA-- IT this is serious Lori! It is for keeps!"

Lori rolled her eyes,"HEY MORON! ITS A FIGURE OF SPEECH!! AND ONE YOU AINT GONNA STOP ME FROM DOING WHAT I GOTTA DO TO GET OUTTA THIS TIGTH SPOT AND TWO STOP YELLING AT ME!!!"

Luke smiled and said in a voice so low and so cold it chilled Lori, "I ain't begun to yell. I ain't yelled-- that's seems to be what you are doing. You want out of the spot you hang on a second!" He looked behind her and said, "Rosco DID you tell Boss I wanted to see him last night?"

Lori's heart dropped 10 feet in her stomach,"Ohhhhh sh**!, Luke you don't know what yer doing shut up!! you'll get me into deeper sh** than what I already am!!"

"Lori I ain't about to shut up! They might haul us all out of here to Atlanta but I ain't shutting up til I see HOGG!"

Rosco replied, "Nope I didn't tell him."

Luke yelled, "WELL CALL HIM NOW!,I WANT HIM HERE NOW!!!"

Lori screamed,"LUKE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Rosco giggled and replied, "He's out of town."

Lori sighed a sigh of relief looking to Luke and smirking,"And here's my perfect chance to go and get it too."

Bo and Jeb were on the other side yelling at Luke to shut his trap for he got them all sent to Atlanta!

He glared at her, "Da-- IT Lori! For God's sake would you just wait! Trial is Monday! Hopefully I'll be home soon and handle it!"

Lori looked to Luke and was trying to bite her tongue,"I dont think I WANT you to handle it..."

Luke dropped his head and replied, "Ok."

Lori looked to him and sighed,"Luke...I can't risk having you thrown rigth back in jail for murder, I just as soon take care of this myself.. im sorry."

He couldn't help himself her reply had took him totally off guard, Luke actually laughed, "Murder huh?"

"Is that what you think?"

Lori gulped looking seriously to him,"Y...yes."

Luke shook his head, "Murder is too good for what he's doing to you." Luke's response was scary.

Lori's eyes were wide and she looked to him,"OKKKKK.....Rosco, I think i'll uhhh....leave now, you might wanna consider gettin doc in here to examine him cause hes lost it."

"Lori don't push my buttons!"

"honey I aint, Im being dead serious.."

"I may have to have Rosco take you onto protective custody to protect you from YOURSELF!" Rosco looked from one to the other. Luke was sure glad Rosco never coud put informatin together.

"Ohh you know what just for that remark I think I hear Vance calling me... bye sweetheart!"

"DA-- IT, LORI" Luke yelled. From the top of the steps Lori then heard a *SMACK* followed by excited voices from Bo and Jeb.

Lori ran back down the steps and sweetly replied,"What?"

Luke's back was turned to her but even she could see the blood on the wall where he'd punched it.

Lori's eyes turned to a cold shade of brown as she begged Rosco to let her in, she crossed the yellow line not caring looking to Luke through the bars,"Rosco...go get some peroxide and bandages and a wet rag."

Rosco shook his head 'no', "That needs Doc. I think he just broke something."

Lori shrieked,"WHATEVER JUST DO SOMETHING G** DA** IT!"

Rosco was on the phone calling for Doc Luke set down on the bunk and never even looked up.

Lori started banging her head on the bars,"DA** it Luke!!! what do you want me to do!! I try to fix something and im told NO WAIT ILL HANDLE IT!! When I try to leave you fly off the handle and break yer hand how am I spose to win?

"You were leaving to take matters in to your own hands or worse to... to VANCE."

Lori let out a loud sigh,"MY GOD COULD YOU LEAVE HIM OUT OF IT FER A CHANGE!!! YOU SOUND WORSER THAN I DO OVER DIXIE!!!! and come to think of it what is my last name???"

Luke was watching his hand drip blood on the floor and finally said, "You are the one who brought VANCE into our conversation and RAN OFF to GO BE WITH HIM Do you REALLY want to talk about this RIGHT NOW?"

Lori stood their her eyes enragingly orange,"HE** YES I DO! LUKE IF I GOD DANG IT WANTED TO BE WITH HIM WOULD I BE HERE WITH YOU????? WITH MY HUSBAND??????"

Then why the 'Ohh you know what just for that remark I think I hear Vance ' REMARK?"

Bo didn't know whos eyes were oranger at the moment.

Lori stuck her tongue out,"Cause...I know it gets to you."

"I asked you NOT to push my buttons!"

Lori giggled and said,"And I did anyways..."

"Yeah.." Doc could be heard coming down the steps.

Lori leaned up against the wall as the Doc ran his hand over and confirmed it was broke, He bandaged it up and doctored it up and left.

Luke refused to say anything as Doc worked he was in pain a Da-- lot of pain but he wasnt' gonna give Lori the satisfaction of showing it!

Lori sighed as the Doc left looking to Luke,"You gonna stop actin childish long enough to listen to me?"

Luke still had his jaw set and his teeth clenched in pain but said, "Sure unless you plan on mentioning my cousin again. I don't think the wall can take another hit like that."

Lori sighed and said,"NOW who's bringing him up?? Luke!!I'm fightin a losin battle with you and everyone else!! If I say I DO NOT GET ALONG WITH VANCE IN THAT WAY ANYMORE I USUALLY FU***** MEAN IT!"

Luke said, "Alright, but you did start it Ok. Now talk to me."

Lori looked to him and opened her mouth to say something but let out a loud sigh of frustration instead,"Im gonna wait for Boss to get back, and I'll talk to him...see If I can't do something else for him instead of THAT!"

It wasn't what Luke wanted to hear but it bought him sometime to hopefully get to see Boss himself or get home. He'd take what he could get right now though. Like Rosoc kept telling him he was in no posistion to demand anything from anybody. Luke let out a breath he'd been holding and said, "Thank you."

Lori smiled and looked to him,"Ya know I WAS raised with ya'll I think I couldve handled sneakin in there though.. fer christs sakes look!! im married to you!! yer the brains of the operation!"

"And I'm telling it won't WORK. Doesn't that tell you anything? Sides if I'm so fu---ing smart how come my arm is in a cast?"

Lori had to laugh, she couldn't help it she had to,"Because yer buttons were pushed!!!!"

Luke repeatidly shook his head up and down, "Yes, ....... they ,........ were!"

"Like someone is pushing YOUR buttons to do something stupid!"

Lori sighed and said,"Hey its my own fault!"

He looked at his casted arm and said, "Just like this is my own fault."

Lori reached through and held his chin up,"No, that was my fault for being stupid."

He reached through the bars to put his good arm around Lori's waist the best he could and for the millionth time cursed them, "Da-- bars! ............. Honey I love you, but I think I was the stupid one."

Bo said, "I think your BOTH STUPID!"

Lori reached through with both of hers,"I love you too... I dont see how you was the stupid one...I was the one that caused you to fly off."

Lori felt Luke's hand touch her sore behind she jumped and whimpered,"OUCH!!! FU**!!! DONT TOUCH ME THERE!!! IT HURTS!!"

Lori snorted,"Ahh shut up Bo who asked you?!"

Luke said, "Shut up Bo!" "What was it you were telling me about my temper?" "SORRY Honey I forgot!" He snickered.

Lori smirked and smacked his behind,"ONE of the MANY things that gets you into trouble?? is that the temper yer talking bout??"

"How come I know that AFTERWARDS?"

Lori giggled and shook her head,"Cause by the time we tell you about it, its too late the damage has been done!

Luke laughed and said truthfully, "I wouldn't listen if you told ME!"

Lori looked to him and smacked him again,"I TRY!"

"Somethimes."

"Luke, yer really asking for it again..."

"Asking for what?"

"do you really wanna know that?"

"I know what I'd like since you are across that da-- line."

Lori looked to Rosco then to Luke biting her lip,"Well I want it just as bad but it'll have to wait hotstuff."

Luke nodded and sighed. He didn't like it but she was right.he didn't want to risk them stopping her from visiting at all.

Lori looked to the clock and kissed him through the bars heading home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Lori's way home, at one time she heard four loud explosions go off and a clouds of smoke go up in the air. Sh epulled in at the farm as Uncle Jesse stood there watching his sites go up in smoke, literally.

Uncle Jesse.........

Uncle Jesse said Lori, Vance, Coy and Daisy who were all standing around him. "Well, kids that's four. They found them. They know I kept my word. Hopefully, that is a small price to pay to get the boys home with us. "

Lori figured now was as good a time as any to tell them about Luke, "Uncle Jesse the reason I was so late getting here is Rosco let me stay awhile longer with Luke." Lori sighed, "We were talking, well arguing, I said something really stupid and ran up the steps. Then, Luke did something really stupid. He punched the cedar block wall of the cell. I heard Bo and Jeb get excited and went back down. Rosco called Doc. He'll be fine but Doc said he broke all four fingers and the wrist. He's gonna be hurting for awhile, though he won't admit that and all Doc can give him for pain is Tylenol. But, stubborn had said he was OK before I left."

Daisy asked, "Lori what could you have said to make him THAT mad?"

Lori looked at them all before answering but held her gaze on Vance for just a split second too long, "That's not important. We made up as much as we could through those bars."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie opened BL's door, and found her sound asleep. She didn't care. She sat down on the bed making it bounce, "BL wake up BL."

BL sat up and groaned, "What?"

Dixie began, "B Jesse's stills just blew. Everyday I want the guys home more and more but I'm afraid I've stated something with Jeb that has given him the idea that when he comes home that I'm willing to do IT. BL I like him and I'd go so far and I KNOW he was frustrated the other day and each day I visit. I've even felt bad and put on loose clothes before I go see him. BL I don't want a reputation as a tease and I don't want a reputation or a whore AND I da-- well don't want to get pregnant. How can I be his girlfriend and NOT go all the way with him now?"

BL looked at her and asked, "How do you know he was frustrated and what did you do to make hism THINK you'd go all the way with him?"

Dixie blushed past red to purple, "Lori and I were at the jail. She was mad cause I was there saying that I was there to see Luke NOT Jeb so I sorta had to SHOW here I was his girlfriend. BL I was touching him places and he LIKED IT."

BL replied, .................

B.L replied as she sat up leaning against the headboard.

"Dixie don't do anything you don't wanna do with a guy EVER if he can't respect that then he's not what he should be. Jeb is a Duke and he's been raised right he won't force you into doing anything you don't want to do."

Dixie listened and nodded she knew B.L was right Uncle Jesse had raised all his 'kids' proper. Including the four Davenports who hung around the Duke farm almost as much as they had their own home over the years. But Dixie felt better hearing B.L say what she already knew. Dixie said

"thanks B I guess I just needed to hear what I already knew."

B.L smiled and said "No problem Dix, anytime you wanna talk I'm here ta listen."

Dixie nodded and got off the bed heading for the door looking back over her shoulder smirking she said "you can go back to sleep now."

BL threw a pillow at Dixie everybody knew once they woke her up she couldn't go back to sleep. So climbing out of bed...

BL threw a pillow at Dixie everybody knew once they woke her up she couldn't go back to sleep. So climbing out of bed she went outside and sat on the porch looking down the road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori went in the house after the small gathering outside, Daisy followed her and asked,"Seriously, why did Luke hit the wall?"

Lori took her in the hallway,"I was being stupid and I aggravated him too much and his temper got the best of him and he punched it, all because I pushed him too far by saying I hear Vance calling me, so now he thinks that Vance is gonna take his place and he wont stop sayin it either!! makes the second time I've had to tell that jacka** that Vance will NEVER take his place."

Daisy only sighed and laughed,"I take it ya'll made up.."

Lori smirked,"As far as we could if ya know what I mean.."

Daisy nodded and went to the kitchen.

Lori went to their bedroom and changed clothes heading outside to set on the porch were Uncle Jesse was setting.

"Ya know Uncle Jesse, its gonna be tough around here without ya..."

Jesse nodded and smiled,"It'll be ok, ya'll are tough cookies, got that Duke blood coursing through yer veins.. and Davenport."

Lori laughed and looked to the wise old man and hugged him crying,"I love you....dad, you've been more of a daddy to me than anything."

Uncle Jesse hugged Lori back and replied, "I know girl. Now hush those tears. I don't like them anymore than your husband."

Lori smiled and wiped her tears away looking to Uncle Jesse walking in the house to help Daisy cook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday morning rolled around and everyone was on their toes. Lori, Daisy, Coy, and Vance all dreaded today, it was court day.....

Monday morning rolled around and everyone was on their toes. Lori, Daisy, Coy, and Vance all dreaded today, it was court day. All the Dukes, Cooter, BL and Dixie filed in to the courtroom. It was extrememly crowded. Boss Hogg and Rosco were happy as clams. Judge Hardcastle looked at Agent Roach and asked, "I believe we have a plea in these cases?"

Roach replied, "Yes, Sir we do."

Judge Hardcastle said, "Bailiff I want the courtroom clear except for immediate parties."

Boss Hogg was not happy to be told to leave. Only the Dukes and Davenports were present with the Agents and Judge.

Hardcastle only then insructed the Agents, "You can now get the defendants."

Luke, Bo and Jeb were shackled and handcuffed and escorted to the courtroom. They had even managed to handcuff Luke with his casted arm which at the moment happen to still be hurting like he--. The Agent that was sent after them just happened to be the one that had heard Luke threatent to escape to go see Boss Hogg.

Jesse got a cold chill seeing them that way and thinking he'd likely leave the room the same way.

Luke's eyes met Jesse's. Luke prayed he'd not see his Uncle in chains.

Judge Hardcastle looked at the Agents, "So we do have an agreement?"

Agent Roach said, "Yes, Sir."

The Hardcastle looked to Luke, Bo and Jeb, "Gentlemen, This agreement has been explained to you?"

Luke being the oldest was the spokesperson, "Yes, Sir.."

Hardcastle looked to Jesse, "Mr. Duke I understand that you have provided the Agency with information and according to Agent Roach it checked out. Therefore, it is my understanding that in order to get your nephews charges dropped to a lower charge you are going to plea guilty to a charge of making illegal alcohol (moonshine). In return for this plea it is my understanding that they will plea to Transporting Illegal alcohol (moonshine) but will be sentenced in the lower bracket which will not exceed one year in prison. Is that your understanding?"

Jesse replied, "Yes, Sir it is."

Hardcastle explained, "In order to do that you will have to be placed in custody of the Agents until sentencing. You are aware of this?"

Jesse replied strongly, "Yes, Sir."

Luke swore to himself. He could hear Daisy and the others behind him queitly sobbing and sniffing. He wished they would hush. If he heard it he knew Jesse did. This would be harder for Jesse than it would be for any of them, Luke figured.

Hardcastle said, "Though an agreement has been made the sentencing is up to me. I'd like a bit of time to review the information in this case so I'll set the sentencing for day after tomorrow on Wed. I'll need your signatures on these agreements. You are aware that you all are agreeing not to ever make, sale or transport moonshine again?"

Jesse said, "Yes, Sir. Getting my boys home is the important thing to my family, Judge."

Hardcastle nodded and said, "I understand Mr. Duke. Agent you can return the prisoners to the cells and book Mr. Duke into custody."

Luke stood and turned to go back downstairs as directed he couldn't chance eye contact with anyone right now for fear of breaking down right here and it was his 'job' to be strong. He knew it would take awhile to do all the paper work on Jesse and he, Bo and Jeb had to get their acts together before hand. he could hear Daisy and knew Coy and Vance had their hands full.

Daisy was going into fits she hated to see her Uncle go.

Lori still couldn't walk without hurting, she still winced as she walked, but it broke her heart to know the next time she saw Luke in jail that Jesse would be with him.

Coy and Vance both looked to Uncle Jesse as he sighed the papers. They each had knots in their throats and each reached to the girls beside them. Coy and Vance was comforting Daisy and BL as Cooter put his arm around Lori and Dixie. He had one on both sides of him.

Cooter began herding the others outside. "Come on ya'll. Let's go to the garage awhile. Ya'll can get yourselves together before you go see them."

Lori followed Cooter outside and was crying same as the others,"Cooter I can't go see em..... its too hard, I just cant!!"

Cooter replied gently, "You can and WILL. They are counting on us to be strong for them. We'll all go over stay a few minutes. Then me and the others will come over to the farm tonight. OK?"

Lori sighed,"Im too tired to fight with ya Cooter...whatever you wanna see me break down then I'll go.."

Cooter put his arm around her, "It's not going be any easier on any of us, but it's gonna be a sight worse if they are worried about US."

Lori sighed, she couldn't win, she never could, she nodded and headed over to the garage with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Meanwhile in Luke's cell, Uncle Jesse took a seat beside him........

Meanwhile in Luke's cell, Uncle Jesse took a seat beside him and said as the officer took his seat behind the desk, "Well, least we's together."

Luke gave his uncle a slight smile and said as he hugged him, "Yeah, we are."

Jesse replied trying to be more up beat than he should be for the boys, "So, tell me your version of you hitting the wall."

Luke replied with a laugh, "Only if you tell me your version of whipping Lori."

Jesse replied, "You got a deal."

Luke looked to Jesse and said,"Since my temper got the best of me, Lori was pokin fun at me by saying that Vance was calling her name, cause I told her not to push my buttons, and she ran up the stairs and big stupid me hit the wall."

"Ok. Luke what have I tried for years to tell you about your temper?" Jesse asked.

"I know and I remember those warnings at times like these. You know after the fact. It's just that I ain't quite got the before down yet." Luke said honestly.

Jesse patted his back, "Keep working on it son."

Luke was trying to keep Jesse talking about anything right now to keep him, well them both, from thinking, "So tell me about Lori." He said with a smile. "I think I was there the last time you had to whip her."

Jesse gave him a stern look, "Yes, you were. If I remember correctly, you volunteered to take your licks first."

Luke nodded, "Yeah, I did since it was me who convienced her to play show and tell."

Jesse said, "Cooter had already called me and told me about ya'll conversation. Then the talk they had, finally about hearing her get pulled over by Sheriff Little. Well, I knew if Little pulled her over it was somewhere in Chickasaw. She tried to tell me she went visiting a friend THAT late at night. So I sent her to the woodshed. She was already waiting so I gave her one lick to let her know that I would and to get her attention. I asked her again where she had been. Same story so I gave her two more licks that were just I might harder. And, I asked her the third time. By this time I think she was tinking about telling me the truth but stuck to her story. So I gave her three more. Luke, I didn't want to whip her to begin with and I didn't want to give her four licks on top of what I had already given her so I asked her point blank if she had been hauling. She couldn't wait to tell me yes and who was responsible. I went to try to talk to HIM but he was out of town."

Luke replied, "She took six licks? I think that's about what you gave me that time Mr. Thompson called at three AM wondering where his daughter was."

Jesse replied, "Glad you remembered that."

At this point they were all laughing which was about the time Cooter and the rest chose to come down the steps, hearing the laughter below made things a bit easier for them.

The others came down the stairs it was obvious the girls had all been crying. Coy and Vance and Cooter looked like three whipped pups though they tried to smile a little for the sakes of the incarcerated. They all pulled up chairs ignoring Rosco's little painted line. Everyone began to talk quietly at first about wednesday but as the visit continued talk turned to more lighthearted banter and teasing until the jail was filled with laughter and sounded like a bunch of mocking birds was there.....

Rosco had enough of the giddiness and ran them out, Lori kissed Luke Dixie kissed Jeb, Jeb getting frustrated as was Luke.

Lori and B.L. was climbing the steps as B.L. was cussing and nagging at Lori for the outfit she wore. Lori rolled her eyes and went outside to climb in Midnight Rider.

They all pulled into the farm driveway, all filing out one by one. Dixie sighed and really wasn't ready to go in the same house as Lori knowing they would more than likely fight.

Lori went in and said as everyone come piling in the doorway,"Ill make dinner since none of us has eaten yet."

She began to cook with the help of Dixie and Daisy and B.L......

THe boys....

The boys were actually having a harder time dealing with seeing Jesse setting in that cell. Not to mention Luke and Jeb were trying to hide the fact that the girls had gotten 'under their skin'. Bo knew and was about to crack up which was irratating them more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the Duke farm the mood was more that of a wake and a family get together. Cooter was not far away from the kitchen. Dixie hadn't wanted to go because of Lori being there but Cooter had convienced her she was Jeb's girlfriend and as much a friend to any of the rest as he and BL. He told her she needed to be there for them just like they would be for her, so she had reluctantly went and was now in the kitchen with Lori, BL and Daisy starting supper for the group. Cooter looked at Vance and asked, "What has to be done this evening other than the normal chores?" Cooter had seen the way he and Coy had took up roost on the couch.

Vance replied, "Just the normal is more than I want to do today."

Cooter replied, "Yeah, I know, but if the three of us get at them we'll be doen by supper and can play some cards."

Coy said, "Uncle Jesse doesn't approve of cards in the house."

Cooter stated the obvious for the youngest Duke, "That's why we can play in the house tonight, Coy. Come on ya'll."

The guys had no more cleared the front door to go do the chores when Lori looked to Dixie and 'accidently tossed flour on her' "Oops sooo sorry dear cousin, I guess I didn't see you."

Dixie brushed the floor off her shirt. It was a bit nicer shirt than normal because she was still dressed in teh same clothes she had worn to court.

She replied, "That's about normal YOU never see ME. Daisy you got something comfy I can wear?"

Daisy nodded wiping her hands on a dishtowel "Sure Sugar c'mon"

Dixie and Daisy went to Daisy's room to get Dixie something to wear.

B.L glared at Lori and said "Don't start anything!"

Lori smiled sweetly and said "I wouldn't dare cousin"

Daisy asked Dixie what sorta clothes she wanted. "Just house clothes. I just want to be comfy. I aint' trying ot impress anyone."

Daisy grinned, "That's a first for you in this house huh?"

Dixie smiled, "Well, a first in a while."

Daisy handed Dixie a pair of old soft jeans and an old jersey with a # 55 on it.

Dixie changed into the clothes and said, "Thanks Daisy this is just what I needed, You know I didn't want to come over tonight which is why I didn't bring a change with me. Cooter convienced me to."

Daisy asked, "Because of Lori?"

Dixie nodded 'yes', "Mostly."

"Sugar ya'll are family and BOTH a part of this family. Ya'll got to get past it. Just like Luke and Vance do." Daisy said. "Come on let's get back in there."

They walked back into the kitchen and Daisy asked, "Ok what else do you need Lori?"

Lori turned around to say something and saw Dixie standing there. Her gaze turned orange,"LOVE LUKE'S JERSEY YER WEARIN THERE DIX.... so tell me, teasin one guy and tryin to take awaay a womans's husband inch by inch?

Dixie hadn't had time to even answer before Daisy had but she hadn't paid the number any mind.

Daisy's eyes got wide as she looked from one cousin to the other, "I dug that old thing OUT OF MY draw. I can't keep up with who wore what numbers. Lori that WAS a Jr. High jersey!"

Lori crinkled her nose in a -haha in your face hes mine not yours look- "You can keep the jersey as a reminder of ole Lukas cousin...I dont mind."

Dixie let her have if, "NOT if it QUESTIONS the SANTITY of your MARRIAGE!!!"

Lori shurgged,"Ehhh... dont care if ya change or not, just a shirt... i got the real thing"

"No I'll change to KEEP PEACE!" Dixie said.

Daisy said, "Go get whatever ya want out of my drawers, Honey."

B.L watched with wide eyes this couldn't be good. She hoped they didn't get into a knock down drag out fight, with Jesse in jail now too they needed to all stick together and get along not fight like cats and dogs.

Dixie came back with a large plain blue T-shirt on, "IS THIS BETTER?"

Lori had a sarcastic look on,"OHH MUCH BETTER SWEETHEART!!"

"Glad you fu------ing APPROVE!" Dixie said even more sarcastically. "Thought it may have been a farite color of Luke's or something!"

Lori had about all she could stand of her and threw the biggest fork she could at her HOPING to put her eye out. "ACTUALLY IT IS!"

Dixie was standing at the table. She picked up the small paring knife by the blade, where she had been peeling potatoes, and sent it flying right by Lori's nose managing to stick it in the wall right behind her. "DON'T TAKE A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT, OR A FORK TO A KNIFE FIGHT COUSIN!!!"

B.L quickly grabbed hold of Lori knowing she'd regret it "LORI YOU TRYIN' TO PUT HER EYE OUT! YA DANGED IDGIT GROW UP AND STOP BEING SO POSSESSIVE AND INSECURE OVER LUKE"

Lori thought that was the most stupidest thing she'd ever heard and causally walked up to Dixie laughing, turning serious quick and dropping her to the ground by knocking her across the face, stepping back fists up ready to fight.

Cooter was rounding the outside of the house and heard the yelling. He yelled as he broke into a run, "FIGHT! HOUSE!!"

Dixie had fought with the guys too long. She jumped up and didn't bother to hit Lori, she tackled her right into teh middle of the living room floor.

Lori rolled Dixie over holding to her throat,"I swear I'll kill you just for the he** of it!!" she started beating Dixie.

Dixie managed to get her legs around Lori and had flippied her back over. Dixie may have been young but had a few pounds to her advantage.

Cooter opened the front door. Vance and Coy came in the back door to see Dixie on top of Lori with her hands of her throat. Daisy and BL were trying to break up the fight.

Before any of the boys could help Daisy and B.L break up the fight B.L got caught in the cross fire and was hit in the chin so hard it made her teeth rattle by Dixie. Well that was all it took she waded up her fist and knocked the living daylights out of Dixie.

"That was ME you hit cousin."

The boys kept looking at each other then back at the three girls rolling around on the floor throwing punches. One minute Lori was on top of Dixie then the next Dixie was on top of Lori or B.L. Then B.L'd be on top of one of them it was a fight that could just about rival any barroom brawl at the Boars Nest.....

Lori was thankful at times that B.L. was in the fight she'd hit Dixie giving Lori the chance to hit her as well.

Cooter reached through and could feel his arms getting beaten up in the crossfires, he pulled B.L. up and "tossed" her to the side pulling Lori off top of Dixie.

"I SWEAR YA'LL UNCLE JESSE AINT BEEN IN JAIL AN HOUR AND YA'LL ALREADY WANNA KILL EACH OTHER!!"

Dixie got up slowly, breathing hard saying through grinded teeth,"She started it."

"Ohh being childish are we Dix?"

Dixie was about to open her mouth when.......

Dixie was about to open her mouth when Cooter put his hand over her mouth and said, "Come on outside with us, OK?"

Dixie was still hot, but knew Cooter was right, "Ok, I'd rather be cleaning a barn that in here with her!"

Cooter gave Dixie a bit of a nudge and glared at Lori daring her to say anything, "Go already!"

Dixie looked at her older brother and replied, "I'm going. I'm going already!"

In the barn Coy asked, "What set THAT off?"

Dixie was trying to get the knots out of her hair, "Daisy gave me an old jersey to wear. I put it on. It just happened to be one Lori claims was Luke's IN JR.HIGH." She let a clump of loose hair fall to the barn floor.

Cooter shamed, "You know we are supposed to be here to HELP."

Dixie replied, "Told you it would start. She put flour on me so I asked Daisy for a change and then she goes OFF!"

Cooter replied, "Just hang out with us and it will be OK. Are you alright?"

Dixie nodded 'yes', "Other than missing a little hair, a couple scratches, and my hand hurts. I think I punched BL by accident."

Cooter said, "Let me see."

Dixie held out her right hand and worked it for Cooter.

He could see it starting to swell, "Sh-! Can one of you go get some ice?"

Vance replied, "Yeah, I'll go. If I'm not back in five minutes come after me! It's dangerous in there!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori went to the mirror to comb her hair and noticed srcatches on her neck, "Look, just look at these scratches!" Then, while trying to get her hair straightened out when she pulled a large clump of now unattacked hair out. "I'm going to kill her!"

BL said, "Those scratches ain't bad!"

Lori turned to BL and said, "Well, I'd talk with that bruise on your chin."

BL exclaimed, "WHAT?"

Vance eased in the kitchen door trying to make sure it was safe to enter, "Daisy I need a bag of ice."

Daisy shook her head and opened the freezer.

Vance looked at Lori concerned, "Are you OK, Lori?" It was likelly the first direct thing he'd said to her since getting Luke's letter.

Lori...........

Lori glared at him pulling her hair back,"IM JUST PEACHY!!! YOU WAIT TIL I GET MY HANDS ON THAT NO GOOD DOUBLE CROSSIN COUSIN OF MINE AND ILL SHOW HER!!"

Vance gulped and slowly went back outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, when everyone was asleep, all except Lori, she eased up pulling out spray on hair dye, washable of course, and a pair of scissors, Lori made her way to Daisy's room were Dixie lay sleeping, Lori smirked and walked over quietly snipping a clump of hair out on the top of her head. She then laid a towel in under the pillow sos not to get the spray on it, it was pink..Dixie hated pink... Lori sprayed her head of hair a very hot pink!

Lori tried to keep from laughing as she bit her tongue walking out and closing the door, going to her room. B.L. hadn't been asleep but she didn't notice Lori sneaking either.

Cooter and the boys lay soundly sleeping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That next morning, it was like the shot heard round the world as Dixie woke up. Lori was out on the porch ready to run.......

Dixie screamed, "YOU HAD BETTER HOPE IT WASHES OUT!!!"

Cooter set straight up in the floor where he'd slept. He, Coy and Vance had slept in the living room. Other than the twin beds in their room the only extra bed would have been Uncle Jesse's and none of them was going to 'take his spot' even for a night. Cooter said, "Ah, sh--! It's too da-- early for this!!!!"

Dixie instead of chasing Lori went to the shower and washed her hair repeatidly to get all the pink dye out. When she combed her hair out she saw where Lori had cut the clump off short. It was up front which had needed trimmed anyway. She would have Daisy cut the front and feather the sides.

Everyone else was in the kitchen now rudely awaken and grumpy. Cooter looked at Dixie and then to Lori and said, "I've had enough and I will separate you at the table like when you were two if I have to!"

Dixie smiled, "Hey, I'm good it washed out!"

Lori wasn't happy. She didn't get the reaction from Dixie she had wanted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the jail it was a toss up as to who slept less each worrying about each other. Jesse wondered out loud, "Wonder if they got the chores done yet?"

It was Luke who try to sound more sure than he was, "Vance and Coy have taken up or slack before."

Jesse only nodded. Yes they had but not unsupervised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daisy had managed to give Dixie a nice hair cut and feathered in the short piece to where it didn't show at all. They did all manage to get the chores done and remain half civil to each other through the day. They had one more night to go before they knew their loved ones fait.

BL looked at Cooter and Daisy, "Ya'll we better hid all the scissors and anything that can change hair color. Dixie handle that far too well!"

Daisy said, "With court tomorrow, they wouldn't."

BL and Cooter said, "OH YES THEY WOULD!"

Daisy sighed and tried to think of short hair styles just in case she needed them.

The entire bunch actuallyy worked to make sure the house and farm had no sighes of the earlier fight just in case thing swent as each deep down prayed they would but they were all trying to be prepared for the worst.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night Dixie went to bed early but she wasn't asleep. She figured Lori would lock her door, so she had made sure the window was unlocked. She waited until almost daylight and slipped out Daisy's window with her mixture in hand. She watched Lori from the window. She was asleep. Dixie ease up the window and took the mixture and streaked the frost kit through Lori's brown hair. Then, she quietly slipped out the window, went to her Thunderbird and went home to get ready for court.

Lori woke up and looked in the mirror, seeing the blonde streaks she liked it.. it suited her.

Dixie was gone, Lori dug around in one of her boxes and had surprisingly found some pink and Blonde hair dye, she use to be into styling hair when she was little but decided to put ti away. She ran to the bathroom, with Daisy's help and was completely blonde now. That was great, now she'd have to hide from Bo.

Lori got the pink dye and went to the Davenport farm, she could hear from the house Dixie singing in the shower, good. Lori snuck upstairs and into the bathroom and exchanged the shampoo bottle with the pink hair dye.

Lori left in a hurry and saild through Midnight Rider going back to the farm.

Dixie stepped out and saw her hair...trying to re-wash it she couldn't get it out. she found the bottle and read it was permanent. She saw red and swore,"I WILL KILL YOU LOREN DAVENPORT I WILL RIP YOUR HAIR OUT PIECE BY PIECE!!"

Lori flew to the farm, finsihing getting ready.

~~~~~~~~~`

At the jail when she walked in Luke, Bo, and Jeb, and Uncle Jesse was all setting up front waiting for the judge they brung them up early. Everyone of the men saw Lori Luke looked at her with the strangest expression. He hadn't been married long but he knew if she wanted her hair that color he'd better like it, but he wondered WHY. And better yet WHY NOW???

Jeb looked to her and almost let it slip. He liked the new and imroved Lori. Uncle Jesse saw it and already knew the house was falling apart without him.

Bo looked at Lori wide eyed, then back to Luke to see his reaction, then back to Cooter who happen to just shrug his shoulders and shake his head. In explanation, Bo LIKED it!! AS did Vance, Luke knew he'd have to keep her away from TWO cousins instead of one!

BUT the one that got the most attention is when the one and only pink haired extrodinare Dixie Davenport walked through the doors, head hung low.

Uncle Jesse saw Dixie and was shootin bullets at Lori who was snickering he KNEW the house really was falling apart.

Luke's eyes got wide and his mouth dropped, he looked to Lori as did Bo and Jeb, shaking their heads. They looked to the front and Luke was staring a hole through Vance who just so happened to be right in behind Lori staring at her.

The Judge...........

The Judge entered just as Luke decided to warn Jeb. He whispered to Jeb and stepped on his toe, "You BETTER tell her you LIKE it if you want to live."

Cooter could only give a very appoligetic look to Jesse and the boys as he took another look at the sight of his sister and cousins. He wasn't sure how to explain how HE had managed to LET them end up with pink and blonde hair.

BL came in behind Cooter as they were all about to take their seats as the Judge entered.

Uncle Jesse, Luke, Bo, and Jeb all saw B.L.'s bruised chin, they all shook their heads and sighed. They just KNEW that house was really tearing down... and felt it was a complete and total mess.

The Bailiff called the court to order as the Judge scanned the Dukes family standing behind them. He could see one girl with a bruise on her chin and a couple scratches, another who had changed her hair color from two days ago who had scratches and what looked like hand prints on her neck, the third also had a few scratches and had not only cut her hair but it was dyed pink.

Judge Hardcastle then looked at the men with the group. They all looked just a bit frazzled. Then, he studied each of the defendants standing before him. Judge Hardcastle had been a Judge a long time and was very perceptive. He saw worry in each of their faces for their family who had only spent two nights with out the leader of the family there to hold the family together. He knew all families had their differences but he knew this was a very close family and that Jesse Duke was the center of that family unit. Taking a look at this group he knew he had made the right sentenencing choice.

The Judge said, "Be seated. I have reviewed this case over and over. I had come to a sentencing decision before I walked in here today. But, as I looked at each of you all and your families. My decision was confirmed. Mr. Duke I know you are the center of your family and they need you and your guidence. Therefore, I will make this short. I am sentencing to 10 years PROBATION with credit for all jail time. The terms of the probation will be explained to you by the probation officer after court is adjourned. Should the terms of this agreement and / or probation be violated the ten year sentence will be completed in prison. Bailiff uncuff them and you are all free to go see the probation officer. Court adjourned."

After court was ajourned the remaining Dukes and the Davenports crowded around Uncle Jesse and the boys giving hugs and all. When B.L got to Jesse he asked "OK what happened? Dixie's got pink hair and it's been cut and Lori's got blonde hair. Ya all got scratches and Lori's got handprints on her neck!"

B.L looked straight at Jesse she hadn't done anything wrong so didn't have a reason to be afraid of getting in trouble.

"They been fightin' the last two days I got caught in the cross fire tryin' to stop 'em!"

Jesse shook his head and gave the other two girls a withering look while B.L smirked at them just out of his sight. They both gave her murderous looks for being a tattle tale. They knew Jesse would have something to say about them all coming to court looking like this.

After they all saw the probation officer and the terms of the probation had been explained they went back to the Duke farm to celebrate. Jesse walked in and the frist thing he saw was a knife in the wall he stopped and removed it turning around and showing it to the 'kids' and asked.

"HOW did THIS get in the wall?!"

Lori and B.L pointed at Dixie simultaneously as the culprit. Dixie gave them an 'i'll get you look' which both ignored. Daisy, B.L, Lori and Dixie fixed some dinner and they all sat down and ate catching up and then the girls did the dishes and they all went to the livingroom. Jesse looked at Lori, and Dixie asking calmly. "WHAT in the name of heaven have ya'll been doing?"

Dixie looked at Lori and pointed saying like a 5 year old "SHE started it!"

Jesse held up a hand and said "I didn't ask WHO started it I asked what ya'll had been doing. One of you better start explaining!"

Daisy not usually one to tattle could see Jesse was getting riled and this was supposed to be a happy homecoming so she explained. "I gave Dixie a shirt to change into and it was Luke's old football jersey from Jr. Highschool. Lori got mad and they started fightin'. Me and B.L tried to break it up but B.L got hit."

Jesse...

Jesse said, "Well, I'm HOME now and things are back to NORMAL. Dixie did you throw that knife at your cousin?"

Dixie was setting on the arm of Jeb's chair with her arm around him. She looked down at him for a split second and then back to Jesse, "Yes, Sir, I did."

At this precise moment Luke felt Lori tugging on his arm. Trying deseparately to get Luke to come into their room. He turned to her and whispered, "WHAT is wrong with YOU?"

Lori motioned seductlively for him come with her.

Now, Luke had totally forgotten about the conversation dealing with the hair dye war and he didn't need MUCH excuse at all to want to have some 'alone time' with his wife. He stood up and they started out of the living room.

Jesse saw the two newylweds slipping off. Any other time he wouldn't have thought anything about it, but he was pretty sure Dixie's hair hadn't gotten pink by her choosing. "Luke, Lori."

Luke stopped and replied, "Yes, Sir."

Jesse replied, "I'd like you two to come back in here a minute."

Luke started back into the living room but had to nearly drag Lori.

Jesse asked Dixie, "Dixie why would you throw a knife at Lori?"

"She threw a fork at me and it almost hit me in the eye. I had thrown the knife before I though." She said. Dixie knew it wasn't going to get her out of trouble but may ease it a bit.

"Loren is that true?" Jesse asked.

Luke had to hide the grin that threatened to show on his face wondering if she'd lie again. Lori looked at Luke, who said, "Honey, I ain't in this."

Lori sighed and thought of her still sore bottom, "Yes, I did."

Jesse stood up, "Let's go ladies."

Jeb and Luke impart felt for the two girls, but would have to agree that if they didnt' change they would hurt each other. The other part thought it ws just a bit funny. They were glad someone else was in trouble instead of them.

Dixie grave Jeb a weak smile and got up to follow Uncle Jesse.

Lori wasn't happy but followed behind them.

In the wood shed Jesse asked, "So I can take it that a fight broke out and the hair color change is a result of pay back?"

Dixie figured the truth was bad enough and replied, "Yes, Sir that's the a good short version."

Lori figured she she may as well admit her part when Jesse looked at her, "Yes, Sir it is."

Jesse picked up the strap and asked, "Who's first?"

Both girls bent over and grabbed their ankles together. Jesse said, "Well, if you all did more things together maybe we wouldn't be here now." He started with one then the other a lick at a time. "That is for throwing something at your cousin. That is for fighting, family don't fight FAMILY. That was for the hair coloring. And finally, that is for not putting your feelings aside when your family needed you to pull together. Now, you two get up. Straighten up and go welcome your husband and your boyfriend, with in reason, home."

Lori and Dixie stiffly walked in to the house and said,"Welcome home....ya'll.....glad to have ya...back."

Luke felt sorry for them as did the others, B.L. was snickering and all at them. Lori took Luke's good arm and led him to their bedroom. Luke smiled to her and looked around smelling her perfume all over the bedroom, were she'd slept alone. He smiled and held Lori close, not touching her behind. She weakily smiled and kissed him Luke, gently going down on the bed first. Lori was whimpering and trying to make it as easy as possible on Luke..

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie and Jeb.....