Age and curiosity

Yesterday I saw "Happy birthday General Lee" and my mind and curiosity start running: they say Bo and Luke bought the General 8 years before, little after Bo finished his high-school, so I suppose he was 18 at that time. So:

Question 1) can we suppose that Bo is the same age of John in that episode? 18+8=26, in 1985 when it was filmed, John was 25.

2) we now the series are not always developed temporarily as the reality (I mean, 2 years of reality can mean 1 or 3 in a film): but, following the right of question one, is possible that Bo was really 19 during the 1st serie?

Actually, in an episode of the 6th season, when Daisy went to live with a friend 'cause her cousins don't let her lives her life, she says it is 4 years that she works at the Boars Nest and we know she started to when the guys bought the General.

3) (and last) don't you think that John looks younger than the beginning in this episode? I mean: in the 1st serie he seems older than his 19. But here, 25 years old, that plays a part when he was 19, he looks very very young.

Ok, stop here! And now you will ask? But this woman hasn't anything better to do, ah ah ah???

Okay....here's my take on it...

Bo has to be at least 21 years old in the first season in order to drink beer in the Boar's Nest, as that is the legal drinking age in America as I understand it. Now, Luke says he just got out the Marine Corps and Bo just finished high school. That could be anywhere from 18-20 years old. If you say you just finished something it does not neccisarily mean straight away. The boys are also known as being on probation when they made General Lee, and I doubt Uncle Jesse would have let Bo run shine while he was at school.

All I can think of is that the time periods between each season does not represent a year in 'real-time'. For all we know, season 7 could be a few months after season 6 or maybe a year after season one. It was never really specified and I dont think the writers really thought about ages when they made the show, one flaw that I find kinda irritating sometimes.

Okay....here's my take on it...

Bo has to be at least 21 years old in the first season in order to drink beer in the Boar's Nest, as that is the legal drinking age in America as I understand it. Now, Luke says he just got out the Marine Corps and Bo just finished high school. That could be anywhere from 18-20 years old. If you say you just finished something it does not neccisarily mean straight away. The boys are also known as being on probation when they made General Lee, and I doubt Uncle Jesse would have let Bo run shine while he was at school.

All I can think of is that the time periods between each season does not represent a year in 'real-time'. For all we know, season 7 could be a few months after season 6 or maybe a year after season one. It was never really specified and I dont think the writers really thought about ages when they made the show, one flaw that I find kinda irritating sometimes.

Actually the legal drinking age when this was filmed was 18. It changed to 21 in 1984 by a US Federal Law "The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984".

So therefore Bo would have been at least 18. And getting out of the Marine Corps. , to me means anywhere from a 2 - 4 year service.

But looking at it , it is Hazzard. The time frames doesn't really fit a lot of times. The way I look at it , it is stories that were passed along, you know the kind where something gets different along the lines.

I'm gone

Darrell

Actually, I believe it was something of a difference between Georgia vs California legal drinking ages, as those used to actually differ state to state. Rather like legal driving ages. In Georgia, where the first eps were and the series was set, the legal age was 18 at the time. In CA, as far as I know it's been 21 for a long time.

Although I don't know anything about alcohol censoring on TV, it's a possibility but I doubt it because others drank real beer on the show. And also around the same time as Dukes started, there's a humorous true-tale about the cast of Starsky & Hutch getting thoroughly drunk on champagne during a party in the final ep that had so many takes that they all were eventually laughing themselves silly in RL as well as the show! LOL!

Another question come in my mind: I read (don't know if it's true) that they discovered only after the 3rd episode that John was younger of what he said.

So, how can they give him "special beer"?

I wondered that two. they say something about John having "special beer" in the comentary for the 1st episode with John, Tom, and Cathy. I have also heard him say in interviews that they didn't find out he was only 18 untill the 3rd or 4th episode. good question=)

Pretty sure you are not allowed to drink actual beer or liquor on TV. Some sort of thing that doesn't get past the censors.

I'm gone

Darrell

George Wendt on the TV show Cheers which was set in a bar said that 95% of the time they were drinking fake beer. Only at the end of the night would they have real beer.

In my opinion it is probably to avoid the actors getting drunk after multiple takes. JMHO

Can you imagine having to do many takes at the Boar's Nest and then having having a fight scene or Bo jumping in the General and speed off? Not so good a combination. Mind you scenes are sometimes shot out of sequence but still.

• 2 months later...

maybe the special beer that they are talking about could be Ice or Hot tea?? it does look alike. And the moonshine on there was probably water, or flavored water?? now im not saying anyone is wrong im just giving my opinion, i read somewheres on a site, i cant remember now, that there is an acohol censoring at least as of right now i think, it might not have been durig the filming of the series.