"The Beginning" ~ An Online Review

GADuke01

Hey everybody, check out this review I found for "The Beginning" at www.joblo.com. Be sure to post your opinions.

This movie taught me a profound lesson: always be grateful with what you get. In 2005, the TV-adapted movie DUKES OF HAZZARD came out, and despite a decent box office intake, a lot of people came to hate it. Personally, I thought it was a pretty horrible movie, but at least made for some dumb fun. And now in 2007, here comes the straight-to-DVD prequel, THE DUKES OF HAZZARD: THE BEGINNING. Oh, how I long for the mere awfulness of the first film in comparison to this.

Wandering around making idiotic comments and trying to score with hot chicks, the Duke boys never come across as particularly likable (or remotely bright). The leads seem better suited as Abercrombie & Fitch models than comedic actors. Daisy doesn't fare much better, with her story arc consisting of nothing more than the realization she can make guys eye-f**k her by dressing like a slut. Thing is though, she's not even remotely attractive. Her face is as fake-looking as her tits, and she's skinny to the point that I could no longer tell the difference between her and Skeletor. That's not beauty, that's just... gross.

Not even the sequences with the General Lee are any fun. They're lackluster and low-budget in exactly the way you'd expect from a straight-to-DVD production. The filmmakers seemed to want to make up for this by having a chase scene where, for no reason whatsoever, the boys drive a go-kart through a girl's locker room (with nudity abound). And of course, the girls don't just try to hide and cover themselves up - that'd be much too logical. Instead, they chase after those crazy Duke boys as they drive on through the school. Yeeha! Ain't them some hilarious hijinx?! Nothing quite like watching a mob of half-naked women as they moronically run through a hallway chasing after two guys in a go-kart. Such brilliance knows no bounds.

THE BEGINNING actually feels a lot more like another straight-to-DVD AMERICAN PIE sequel than a DUKES prequel, except more cartoonish and filled with an abundance of redneck humor. I've never seen the original TV show, so for all I know this movie captures its essence perfectly (although I really hope not). At any rate, it's definitely worse than the first film, and if that's doesn't scare you off I don't know what will. It's stupid, obnoxious, plot-less, laugh-less, and features more godawful acting by Willie Nelson. If that sounds like your idea of a good time, then venture away. Personally, I hope these good ol' boys crash the General Lee going 100+ MPH and never see the light of day again.

GADuke01

This movie taught me a profound lesson: always be grateful with what you get. In 2005, the TV-adapted movie DUKES OF HAZZARD came out, and despite a decent box office intake, a lot of people came to hate it. Personally, I thought it was a pretty horrible movie, but at least made for some dumb fun. And now in 2007, here comes the straight-to-DVD prequel, THE DUKES OF HAZZARD: THE BEGINNING. Oh, how I long for the mere awfulness of the first film in comparison to this.

While I disagree mostly with his take on the 2005 movie( it was just as much fun as Smokey & The Bandit to me , but we won't get into that again here since it is not the popular opinion), I agree 1000% with his take on this Direct to DVD one.

I had this feeling about this movie when they announced the "prequel" as a Direct-To-DVD movie. This one was just not good. Maybe if they do it as series it might do slighty better.

Funny thing is the people I "dsiagreed" with on 2005 movie I am in total agreement with them on this one. Go figure......

I'm gone

Darrell

I Liked The Begining Better Than The 2005 Movie But There Cast Members I Think Should Have Been Recast The Should Have Replaced Chris Mcdonald With Danny Devito As J.d. Hogg Sherlynn Finn Should Have Been Replaced With Camon Manhime Lulu Cotraine Hogg I Think April Scott Should Have Played Daisy Duke In Both Movies. And Rosco P. Cotraine Been Able To Say I Love It Ilove It, Dipstick And Cuff Em And Stuff Em. I Thought The Begining Was Better Than 2005 Movie I Would,ve Cast Danny Devito As Boss Hogg And April Scott As Daisy Duke In Both Movies. At Least In The Begining They Did Not Make Bo Seem Like He Was Crazy

Hey GADuke01.....great quote "Oh how I long for the mere awfullness of the first film in comparison with this" It's pretty clear that the writers of these new Dukes adventures (I hate to call it Dukes) are not fans of the real show. Well..maybe they're casual fans but they certainly don't understand what Uncle Jesse and his family stood for. They're clearly not fans to the extent that they want what is best for the reputation of Hazzard County and it's residents.....people like us who know that Hazzard is not a fantasy, it's a way of life. Possum on a gumbush, I'm gone sheriff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Because it's "the beginning"-story of the 2005 movie, not the series.

Didn't like it: Too much adult / bad language. Uncle Jesse in the movie urges the Boys to jump any girl that walks by. Come on, what is that?! The real uncle Jesse would never say that.

And too little General Lee action.

I COULD MAYBE have liked it if they would have made it "the beginning" of the original series. I mean: set in the late 60s / early 70s, with actors looking and - especially - behaving like younger versions of the 1978 real Dukes.

The original cast could then have been included as ancestors: like John as Bo's father, Tom as Luke's father, Jimmie as Rosco's fathers, Cathy as Daisy's mom, etc etc etc.

And in the true Dukes family value spirit.

Such a movie would be great. Hint for Jimmie & John as a new project?

Cheers,

Wekke

• 10 months later...
I Liked The Begining Better Than The 2005 Movie But There Cast Members I Think Should Have Been Recast The Should Have Replaced Chris Mcdonald With Danny Devito As J.d. Hogg Sherlynn Finn Should Have Been Replaced With Camon Manhime Lulu Cotraine Hogg I Think April Scott Should Have Played Daisy Duke In Both Movies. And Rosco P. Cotraine Been Able To Say I Love It Ilove It, Dipstick And Cuff Em And Stuff Em. I Thought The Begining Was Better Than 2005 Movie I Would,ve Cast Danny Devito As Boss Hogg And April Scott As Daisy Duke In Both Movies. At Least In The Begining They Did Not Make Bo Seem Like He Was Crazy

One question what is Puppy Meatloaf, Rosco says it in the second movie?

Hey Y'all!

I have never seen the "Beginning" movie, but I did watch the first Dukes movie that came out in 2005. That was when I just started getting into the Dukes, and if I would have seen that movie before I even watched the series, it would have scarred me off! But, anyway, back on track...

Like I said, I haven't seen the "Beginning" movie, but I have read the back of the box, and seen some pictures. From what I've seen I doubt that I will like it. Do these producers not understand that the Dukes is about the people, and has some moral value to it? I think it is safe to say that the true fans here watch the Dukes simply because it is a good time, the car chases are fun, and all of the characters have such great personalities and traits that we sometimes wish more people had, I don't think we watch it to see people parade around half naked and encourage morals even more horrible than I've seen in the world today, let alone without broadcasting it on national TV and tarnishing the Dukes legacy by associating that name with it. Do they really think that is what they call fun??

Not to be rude or demeaning to anyone here... but... are the producers/writers just so ignorant to the Dukes way that there is something they don't understand, or is it the money? We all know how Boss Hogg likes his fair share of money, but I don't think even he would stoop to such degrading behavior. Almost makes me think twice about telling people I'm a Dukes fan!! It is sad that you can say you are a Dukes fan to someone and they can get two totally different images! One can be of good ol' down to earth fun, great morals, respect, family values, etc... and the other is some foreign junk that I don't know how to explain! But it is GROSS! Maybe we'd all be happier if they named it something else, like the Kings of Grossville! Okay, I'm sorry y'all, I'll stop. I hope that I don't come off as rude, or blunt, or cutting any one down. I just get so annoyed when Hollywood keeps popping out more "Dukes junk" and expecting us to pay for (not to mention like) it. YUCK!

Please, GADuke01, don't think that the Beginning movie captures the Duke mindset! I haven't seen the movie (and from what it sounds like I don't think I want to) but from the review you gave, the Dukes is on the opposite side of the scale! The Dukes is just a family of high moral character, integrity, and a group of good ol' country folk who know how to have a good time.

Anyway, maybe in another couple years we'll be saying how much better this movie was than the next one... I hope not!!

Well, I hope that someone in Hollywood takes the initiative to watch the ENTIRE Dukes series and make the logical move either one of two ways: Leave it alone or make a film to give justice to the Dukes name, way of life, and mindset. Maybe someday someone somewhere will stumble on that brilliant discovery... I hope!

General Grant

• 8 months later...

Needless to say, neither one deserves to be in "The dukes of hazzard fan club award" by any means, but if I had to chose, I would chose the "beginning one over the 2005 one.

Last time I remember, Bo and Luke started in an old pick up and they had built an racing Engine but had no car for it.Uncle Jessie, swallowed his pride a little and went to Boss for a loan, so the boys could find a car to fit that motor.

Boss, being the way he was, intended to charge out outrageous loan rates, until Daisy stepped in and said she would work at the boars nest, only if boss agreed to Jessie's terms for a loan.

Then Bo and Luke, went hunting for the perfect car, which ended up being a black '69 charger, and that's when the General Lee came into being, thus, the Beginning of The Dukes of Hazzard.