Big Daddy

I’m sorry, but I’ve always thought it was unrealistic & strange that Boss Hogg’s dad is #1: still alive, but #2: he basically looks to be barely a few years older than Boss. :blink:

Also, he doesn’t look like the kind of man who would have gotten with Boss’ momma, under any circumstances :-P—going by what we know she looked like, with her portrait Boss has (just sayin’). :wink:

There is nearly 17 years between the ages of Les Tremayne and Sorrell Booke, so on paper the relationship is just about possible, but I'll agree that the gap looks less. Memorably, Sean Connery played Harrison Ford's father in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' despite there being slightly less than 12 years between them, but somehow that relationship seemed more believable. I'm sure there are many more examples. Incidentally, I've just realized that Sorrell Booke and Sean Connery were both born in 1930, but I can't imagine them swapping roles!

Regarding Big Daddy and Boss' momma, as the show went on, I don't think much emphasis was placed on a sticking to a consistent backstory or canon. This obviously went completely out of the window in the 2007 movie when they find the car that would become the General Lee at the bottom of a lake, ignoring the storyline of 'Happy Birthday, General Lee'.

4 hours ago, HossC said:

There is nearly 17 years between the ages of Les Tremayne and Sorrell Booke, so on paper the relationship is just about possible, but I'll agree that the gap looks less. Memorably, Sean Connery played Harrison Ford's father in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' despite there being slightly less than 12 years between them, but somehow that relationship seemed more believable. I'm sure there are many more examples. Incidentally, I've just realized that Sorrell Booke and Sean Connery were both born in 1930, but I can't imagine them swapping roles!

Regarding Big Daddy and Boss' momma, as the show went on, I don't think much emphasis was placed on a sticking to a consistent backstory or canon. This obviously went completely out of the window in the 2007 movie when they find the car that would become the General Lee at the bottom of a lake, ignoring the storyline of 'Happy Birthday, General Lee'.

There are many examples of certain actors playing the parent of another, and in reality they’re not old enough. Barbara Bel Geddes played ‘Miss Ellie’, Larry Hagman’s (J.R.’s) mother on Dallas…but, in reality there was only 9 years difference in their ages. :o

It just seemed unrealistic (even for “Dukes”) to have Boss Hogg’s dad still alive & that ‘able’. The way they played it, he should have been some other half-brother or something, that was only 5-6 years older than Boss. :yeahthat:

I know not a lot of emphasis towards continuity was utilized, but they’d already shown Boss’ mother a few times in the portrait he had, and referred to her with the ashes in the trophy episode…and they never re-shown her in any way, looking like someone or something else. So, the idea of ‘Big Daddy’ getting with her was ridiculous.

It just seems to me that when Bo & Luke left, and ratings started going down hill, the writers started dropping the proverbial ball, and were not caring as much either. :unsure:

I don’t count the 2007 movie, or any so-called “Dukes” things outside the original show & cast. In my opinion any of those are just raunchy rip-offs or pathetic wannabes. :wink:

43 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

True but any actor could have played a greedy old man. I just didn't get why they didn't find someone who looked more like Boss. 

Agreed! Or, this guy could have been some half-brother, or a distant cousin, or an uncle, etc… But, to me he still came across closer to Boss’ age, rather than old enough to supposedly be Boss’ father.