Uncle Jesse's episode reviews

Since Uncle Jesse celebrates his 100th birthday this year (Denver Pyle born May 11, 1920) and since I am now the same age he was when Dukes debuted and since I'm retired now and have more time I'm doing an episode review. I will watch the shows in order, make a few comment and anybody who wants can add their thoughts on that episode. We should wrap this up before the year ends. 

One Armed Bandits

-- I love the 5 Georgia episodes. The scenery is so realistic....umm, that's because they were filmed in northern Georgia.

-- Boss eating raw liver for breakfast! It really was raw liver too. 

-- The Georgia episodes were a little edgier. An example of that is when Bo said that Luke might have fathered at least 2 of the kids in the orphanage and Luke responded "Bo's always bragging on me." 

-- The Boar's Nest was loud, dark and rough back then. The first guy Daisy punched was Dennis Haskins, later to become Mr Belding from Saved By the Bell. She later knocked out a female deputy in the jail. 

-- 15 minutes into the very first episode Cooter and Bo have their arms around an African American named Brodie. Anyone who thinks this show was racist has never seen it. 

-- Enos and the boys grew up together yet in reality Sonny is old enough to be John's father. To this day it's amazing how young he looks.

--Bloopers...another General Lee is seen parked in town when the boys are driving the General. Rosco was spelled Roscoe on banner at end

--Bo sure had an ego and he said "Thanks, I've been working on it for years"

--What a great ep....it's where the fun all started. 

Daisy's Song 

--It was funny when Waylon said that Jessi Colter was good but he is partial to June Carter, especially since Waylon and Jessi were married in real life. In case you didn't know, June Carter was Johnny Cash's wife. Jessi is 76 years old and lives in Arizona today. 

--I loved it before the boys went to Atlanta and Jesse said not to take advantage of city folks since it ain't their fault they don't know no better. 

--3 great Waylon quotes.... "You know there's a distinct advantage in never growing up"...talking about Bo and Luke.

"It'd have been a lot easier to just give Daisy her 50 bucks back" 

"Another good thing about Hazzard County. We tend to have happy endings"

--This is my least favorite of the Georgia episodes but is still amazing! 

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

-- Enos and the boys grew up together yet in reality Sonny is old enough to be John's father. To this day it's amazing how young he looks.

This is amazing if you think about it. John will turn 60 in 9 days and Sonny is 84. They portrayed them growing up together even though at the time John was a teenager (19) and Sonny  was 43. 

I loved the Georgia episodes too but I liked them all about the same. Although they all seemed to have an "Overcast" feeling/look about them, like it was about to rain. The later ones were always sunny, which I liked, but it doesn't explain how farmers like Jesse could grow anything if you have no rain! :) 

3 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I loved the Georgia episodes too but I liked them all about the same. Although they all seemed to have an "Overcast" feeling/look about them, like it was about to rain. The later ones were always sunny, which I liked, but it doesn't explain how farmers like Jesse could grow anything if you have no rain! :) 

I get into the fantasy so much I often forget that they were filmed in southern California but sometimes the landscape is so barren that even being into the fantasy doesn't help much. The cool thing about the Georgia episodes is that everything looks so much like where I live even though it's pretty far from Hazzard Pond to Lake Erie. 

On 3/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, RogerDuke said:

Daisy's Song 

--It was funny when Waylon said that Jessi Colter was good but he is partial to June Carter, especially since Waylon and Jessi were married in real life. In case you didn't know, June Carter was Johnny Cash's wife. Jessi is 76 years old and lives in Arizona today. 

--I loved it before the boys went to Atlanta and Jesse said not to take advantage of city folks since it ain't their fault they don't know no better. 

--3 great Waylon quotes.... "You know there's a distinct advantage in never growing up"...talking about Bo and Luke.

"It'd have been a lot easier to just give Daisy her 50 bucks back" 

"Another good thing about Hazzard County. We tend to have happy endings"

--This is my least favorite of the Georgia episodes but is still amazing! 

In my initial reading I found myself surprised by your last statement that Daisy's song was your least favorite Georgia episode because I really like this episode and most people would choose Mary Kaye's Baby as their least favorite (I love Mary Kaye's Baby....the moonshine flying out the windows, the boy's running around with the bows and arrows, the small general store) anyway the more I thought about it Daisy's song is probably my least favorite of the GA episodes myself.

HOWEVER that being said there were a lot of other good things I liked about this episode that you didn't mention:
1-The HOOD SLIDE 
2-You see Boss's Caddy with the top up !
3-We get a glimpse of Cooter not being totally crazy- "So why don't you all tail the FBI? Then you will find Daisy."

Personally I like the chase through the junkyard.
And I love the scene where Bo lights the dynamite stick and hands it to Rosco.

I'm excited that you added comments Flint! I hope to see more from others too even if they only add one comment.  "Least favorite" probably wasn't the best way to word it. Imagine if someone offered you a choice of a million dollars or a million dollars and one cent. A million dollars would be your least favorite of the options but you'd still be pretty happy if you got stuck with your "least favorite". I'll probably get to Mary Kaye's Baby tonight. I've been working on firewood all day (next year's supply) 

Mary Kaye's Baby

-- I always love a funny quote. When the boys were being chased and Bo was driving Luke said "If you don't step on it, he's going to give you a ticket for illegal parking"

-- This is the only episide with no General Lee in it. I never even noticed that until I saw it on HazzardNet years ago. 

-- I laughed when Bo stepped out of the car to get gas and told the guy "Give me about 2 dollars worth would ya Hoss" 

-- It was also funny when Bo and Luke couldn't open a jar but Mary Kaye had no trouble. 

--If you look across the road when McQuaid got to the farm, and later when Rosco shot his henchman in the toe, it looks like the green mobile home recording studio in the background from Daisy's song. 

-- One thing I really love about this ep is all the time they spend at the farmhouse. Great story. The Dukes will risk their lives to help folks. 

Repo Men

-- Those Duke boys will do anything to get that Richard Petty engine. I had forgotten that Petty was filming a tire commercial when the wreck happened. 

-- It was exciting to watch this episode since Andrew is working on his model. I just hope it looks better than the Rolls Royce did at the end.

-- I loved seeing the cars in Ace's lot. I remember the days when you could get a good used car for $600. Well, it didn't always end up good. 

-- I love it when Luke explained Murphy's law and Bo asked him if Murphy was a race driver.

--This ep is the first appearance of Lulu. She loved the Duke boys. She said that she wanted Boss to make her brother sheriff because it was a safe job. 

-- When Rosco used the word redneck it might be the only time it was ever used in the series. For some reason they avoided that and went with hick, rube, plowboy, hayseed, etc but not redneck. 

-- I love the scenes from the Georgia episodes that lasted all 7 years in the opening song.

-- When Rosco said you need a registration to have a vehicle (the wrecked Petty car) on a public road I wonder why the boys didn't say that it's not on the road, it's on a trailer? 

-- It was funny when Jesse said the boys wouldn't do well in a jury trial because there would be too many parents on the jury of the girls they've been chasing since they were 13. 

-- I liked Luke's response when Cooter said "What do ya think old Burt Reynolds would do at a time like this?" Luke said. "I'm not sure but I know he'd be doing it with someone a whole lot prettier than you." Luke was driving slow so right after that Cooter said he wanted out so he could run ahead. 

-- Great episode. I have to admit the first time I saw it I would have never guessed the fate of the Rolls. 

High Octane 

-- We learn that Luke's middle initial is K and Jesse's is L. I like to imagine that Jesse's middle name is Lee like mine and like the General Lee car. 

-- I remember the gasoline shortage days. Thankfully I wasn't putting too many miles on my Mustang so it didn't affect me. 

-- mouth to mouth recreation...LOL 

-  When Agent Huntley first heard Daisy's name she thought they were talking about a dog. That made me miss our dog Daisy. 

-- I loved Rosco and Boss in the woods with cammo, shotguns and binoculars. I really love all the woods scenes especially around the still. I wonder if that still was real. I bet it was. Hobie? 

-- That was the only time in 7 years I can remember Enos wanting a date with someone besides Daisy. 

-- There was a lot of clever stuff in this episode, like Bo throwing the match on the floor, hiding the shine in the gas tank and Bo drinking water when Roxanne thought it was shine. 

-- Even though I don't drink this is my all-time favorite episode.....and no, you won't hear me repeat that in any future review. It really is. 

-- now it's off to California *sobs* Oh well, I'll be used to it by the time Swamp Molly is half over. I sure will miss those Georgia trees though.

Edited by RogerDuke

It was funny when Jesse said the boys wouldn't do well in a jury trial because there would be too many parents on the jury of the girls they've been chasing since they were 13.       They'd hang you before lunch! LOL! ...One of my fav. lines!

I wonder if that still was real. I bet it was. Hobie?    Probably was ...but ya can't ever tell how good a still it is until you sample the shine! ( In real life, I've only had Moonshine twice!)….though my uncle used to make it and run it!   His son today is Tennessee State Highway Patrol! Ironic huh?

16 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

We should watch an episode together again  sometime Hobie. Any suggestions for episode or time? 

Well yea! I have no clue which episode or when...?? Any suggestions? I have found that I do have def. favorites and a few I don't like, not just 2-3. Some were on the B sides of the DVD's I have. I've only seen those a few times! 

Swamp Molly

-- Welcome to California. Even though I like the Georgia episodes better it is nice to see some of these familiar places. 

-- Jesse has a different white Ford truck. Speaking of trucks I love Molly's. I think it was used in other eps, Farmer Perkins? Didn't you post something about that truck awhile back Hoss? 

-- This is the ep where Bo accidently had a live stick of dynamite on the arrow and blew up the outhouse and 5 years worth of Luke's car magazines. Later, Luke did just the opposite. He put a dud on when they needed a live stick. 

-- Several years ago I learned from Ray Kohn of Northeast Ohio Dukes that Cousin Alice (Mary Jo Catlett) is the voice of Mrs Puff on SpongeBob. "Wanna rastle?" LOL

-- I dont know why Boss said that Swamp Molly is ugly as sin. She looks good for her age.

-- The first time I saw this episode I was as surprised as Luke to see weapons when the door was opened. 

Oh well, it might be California but this was a great episode. At the end Jesse hinted that we would see Molly again. Sadly we didn't 

1 minute ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Well yea! I have no clue which episode or when...?? Any suggestions? I have found that I do have def. favorites and a few I don't like, not just 2-3. Some were on the B sides of the DVD's I have. I've only seen those a few times! 

You suggest a time and I'll suggest an episode.