Musical Chairs

Redneck girl 01

For the second time the word "Mountain" lets me post a classical track:

The piece is known as 'Night On Bare Mountain' over here. I think I first heard it in the early '80s when it was used in

Nancy (With The Laughing Face) - Frank Sinatra

I had to do a double-take when I saw "Lyrics by Phil Silvers" at the start of the video. Apparently it's true - the lyrics were written by 'Bilko' star Phil Silvers back in 1942.

I'm being lazy. Working off of "the"...

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked - Cage the Elephant

:censored: VEVO wouldn't let me watch that video in my country, but I found another version.

Probably just as well you were lazy - I'm sure I wouldn't have been allowed to post the Monty Python song with "face" in the title that came to mind ;).

Am I the only one who thinks of playing Tiger Woods' PGA Tour 2005 on the PS2 when I hear this?

Sorry about the one word...but have to use this song ...

What do people have against the One Word Song Titles thread recently (mentioning no site owners or moderators in particular, but not Brian ;))?

It's All Over Now - The Rolling Stones

I'm embarrassed to say that until I looked up a link for The Rolling Stones' version just now, I'd never heard the original by The Valentinos. I'll include it as a tribute to Valentinos member Cecil Womack who passed away just over three weeks ago on February 1st. I found this funny story about the song on Wikipedia:

After hearing "It's All Over Now" by the Womacks (aka the Valentinos) on the WINS show, the [Rolling Stones] recorded their version nine days later at Chess Studios in Chicago. Years later, Bobby Womack said in an interview that he had told his manager he did not want the Rolling Stones to record their version of the song, and that he had told Mick Jagger to get his own song. His manager convinced him to let the Rolling Stones record the song. Six months later on receiving the royalty check for the song he told his manager that Mick Jagger could have any song he wanted.

If there was ever a singer who really put out a lot of energy when she performed, it was Janis...

Very true, but the drugs had left her looking way older than 27 in the Dick Cavett video. So sad that she'd be dead just over three months later.

I had a choice of "dog" songs, but eventually decided on this one from 1978:

The song is about the work of British artist L.S. Lowry who was known for his paintings of industrial scenes and characteristic figures. You can see examples of his work throughout the video.

In case anyone's wondering, "sparking clogs" were wooden clogs with metal bits in their soles to make them last longer. If you kicked them on the ground they'd make sparks. Girls in the mills had to work barefoot to prevent the risk of a fire or explosion.

The painting below is 'Going to the Match' from 1953.

LS-Lowrys-125th-birthday--001.jpg

I'm going back in time here. This song was originally written and performed in 1931, but the version in the video is from 1955.

For those of you not familiar with Noël Coward as a playwright, composer, director and singer, maybe you'll remember him as Mr. Bridger in the original of 'The Italian Job'.

• 2 weeks later...

I am ashamed of myself...I should have thought of this song LONG time ago instead of thinking of dog songs the past few days. I use to be one of the biggest Billy Ray Cyrus fans. Saw him seven times in concert...even got shoved on stage with him to get his autograph...Yep I should have thought of this song. This is a great dog song if there ever was one!

Walking the Dog - Rufus Thomas

I know Garrett's heart aint ready for the Rolling Stones (sorry, private joke), so I won't post their version, but I will include a cover by Jimmie Best's cousins. :)

Nope my heart's never ready for the Rolling Stones...but you can play Alan Jackson any day. ;)

Sorry to leave the Dog themed songs behind...love dogs and all, but I can't pass this song up. One of my favorite TK's songs. LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll have to keep my other "dog" songs in the kennel for now :).

I'm still stuck in the mid-60s this weekend:

Non, Ce N'est Pas Un Rêve - Françoise Hardy

For those of you who speak even less French than me, the title translates as "This Is Not A Dream" (that's my excuse for including it here - work from this for the next song). I found a couple of her albums among my father's records when I was young, and always liked this track. Only fairly recently did I discover that it's a cover of song by Samantha Jones called

which was released a year earlier. The tunes are the same, but the lyrics are not a direct translation.

This song was the subject of a back-to-back comparison on the radio this week. They pitted

against a vocal version by Side Effects. While both are good, I found myself craving the vocals of Jocelyn Brown on the version I've known for longest:

I have a sneakin' suspicion I've posted this one already but...

Roger posted it nearly four years ago, so you're OK ;).