Double Sting

Watching the Season 1 finale again...Double Sting. It’s an okay episode, but not necessarily my favorite of the season. However, this time around I noticed something that for whatever reason I’ve not given much thought to before. 

When Uncle Jesse comes to the jail to bail Bo & Luke out, he gripes them out for making him have to use the farm mortgage payment. Okay...supposedly the Duke family had been farming there for almost 200 years (along with making moonshine). Whatever little land they had left  around the Duke farm (as earlier in another episode Jesse talks about the depression ruining a lot of land), wouldn’t they already own it (and had for decades)? They may be poor “dirt” farmers, but what “mortgage” would they have to pay? :rolleyes:

I’m sure I’m reading way more into this than ever was intended, lol, but for some reason this time it made me stop and think. Just curious...;) 

Edited by MonacoMan

Good question but I bet it had something to do with Boss scamming them somehow. Having to make the mortgage payment on time was always a good foundation to write an episode. Or maybe a bunch of things just came up all at once and they had to borrow from Boss....well run dry and had to drill a new one, tractor broke down, had to buy seed corn for planting season, roof sprung a leak. When it rains it pours.

22 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Good question but I bet it had something to do with Boss scamming them somehow. Having to make the mortgage payment on time was always a good foundation to write an episode. Or maybe a bunch of things just came up all at once and they had to borrow from Boss....well run dry and had to drill a new one, tractor broke down, had to buy seed corn for planting season, roof sprung a leak. When it rains it pours.

Probably true...it supposedly could have been a number of things. I just found it interesting that there was a mortgage on the farm (in some way), that the Dukes had had in the family for generations. :wink:

• 3 months later...