To Frame a Duke...

Susan

This might be better off over in the fan-fic section, but I figured that it might be less likely to cause a ruckus over here. :) (If I'm wrong, please let me know!)

But basically, if I wanted to frame someone in Hazzard for growing marijuana, where would I have gotten the plants from?

I'm not American, and I was far too young back when this aired to know about things like that, so... can anyone help? Please?

Thankyou,

Susan.

It all depends on what form and quantity of marijuana you're talking about. As Roth mentioned, the Dukes were caught carrying packets of marijuana in a water heater box in 'Mason Dixon's Girls'. From watching shows like 'World's Wildest Police Videos', there are drug dealers who transport packets of marijuana in their trunks, but usually in plastic rather than paper parcels. One arrest sticks in my mind where a car was pulled over for speeding, the driver and passenger gave different stories, and the police officer asked if he could search the car. They could've said "no", but the driver gave his permission and the film captures their reaction from the back of the cruiser as the officer opens the trunk and finds about 20 large bags of marijuana!

You'd probably have to go to a pretty large-scale dealer to get enough dried marijuana to fill a water heater box. I don't recall seeing too many drugs busts on TV where live plants were being transported, I guess because they're bulky and fragile. Another option would be to get hold of seeds (easy enough to get mail order nowadays, probably no harder in the '80s). Then you have the choice of growing the plants yourself before hiding them on your victim's property, or sowing the seeds in a something like a greenhouse belonging to the person you're framing, and letting them grow the plants without realizing.

I don't know what era your story is set in, but marijuana sale and possession is now legal for both medical and non-medical use in Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington, and decriminalized to some extent in several other states. There is still total prohibition in Georgia.

Seeing as you don't have the DVDs (shame, shame, everybody knows your name ;)), here are three pictures from 'Mason Dixon's Girls' to inspire you. First, the water heater in (and out of) the General's trunk.

Marijuana1_0221.jpg

Rosco opens the "packing material".

Marijuana2_0221.jpg

The evidence back at the police station.

Marijuana3_0221.jpg

Just to add a little to what I said above, the drug boss, Dempsey, says of the missing marijuana: "The street value of that weed was worth almost $1 million." I have no idea if that's an accurate price, but that's what the show says. That's for a water heater sized box, so maybe you can work out the money needed for your framing scheme from that. At those rates, a couple of packages like Rosco confiscated would still be worth a few thousand dollars.

Thankyou so much to everyone!! :)

I think I know where I'm going, now. The story is set during the series (Maybe near the end) and something that Hoss said has tied in with a suggestion that someone at this end made.

Boss has seen some confiscated pot plants in an evidence locker of a neighbouring county sheriff, and has come up with another of his brilliant (?) ideas to make trouble for the Dukes - possibly even getting his hands on the farm.

He either steals or buys the plants and has Rosco plant them on the Duke's property late at night. He can then have them 'discovered' the next day, and... Bingo! Lol!

Especially since the boys are on parole. I'm not familiar with the US justice system, but I would imagine getting caught with illegal drugs would breach said parole...

Any suggestions as to which Sheriff he gets them from, welcome, though! (I know there were at least two other county Sheriffs mentioned. Were any of them crooked, too? It's been a while.)

Again, Thankyou Everyone! :)

Hmmm... Thankyou, Hoss.

I was thinking just two or three plants, maximum - not exactly huge commercial quantities - and we all know what a hypocrite Boss can be when he wants to be, but that's definitely something I'll need to consider.

Thankyou.

Might have to see if I can get hold of that ep. somehow.

[susan wanders off looking very thoughtful.]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Hobie! Somehow I managed to miss this last time around.

No, I'm not familiar with this song, but I might look it up. Thankyou. The one on this topic (Well sort of) that I'm most familiar with, is Steve Earl's classic 'Copperhead Road'.

I take the seed from Colombia and Mexico

I plant it up the holler down Copperhead Road

Cheers!

The song "Passage To Bangkok" is by Rush.....you shouldn't have any trouble finding it! I know Copperhead Road! Great song! Reminds me of where I grew up! I also took Tae Kwon Do with Zip Gibson, Steve Earle's guitarist! He was a nice guy! Hey, here's the words to the song by Rush....you've heard of Rush haven't you? ( But just remember what boss said, ...He wouldn't deal in drugs for any amount of money!)

"A Passage To Bangkok"

Our first stop is in Bogota

To check Colombian fields

The natives smile and pass along

A sample of their yield

Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams

Golden Acapulco nights

Then Morocco, and the East

Fly by morning light

[Chorus:]

We're on the train to Bangkok

Aboard the Thailand Express

We'll hit the stops along the way

We only stop for the best

Wreathed in smoke in Lebanon

We burn the midnight oil

The fragrance of Afghanistan

Rewards a long day's toil

Pulling into Katmandu

Smoke rings fill the air

Perfumed by a Nepal night

The Express gets you there

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, Hobie!! I haven't been over here for a bit. I've heard of Rush, but I'm not really familiar with them. (Yes, I'm a musical phillistine! Lol!) I'll definitely look it up.

Hmmm... Everybody seems to agree that Boss would absolutely not have a hand in this - and we all know Rosco wouldn't have the brains to do it on his own! - so... Hmmmm... I wonder if those two nasty pieces of work that drove the 'Mean Green Machine' (I think that's what it was called) are out of jail, yet?

It was the Dukes that made sure they got there, after all, IIRC.

Hmmm... I think I'm going to have to do some homework, here. (If you can call Dukes research 'work'... Lol!)

Cheers,

Susan.

The song "Passage To Bangkok" is by Rush.....you shouldn't have any trouble finding it! I know Copperhead Road! Great song! Reminds me of where I grew up! I also took Tae Kwon Do with Zip Gibson, Steve Earle's guitarist! He was a nice guy! Hey, here's the words to the song by Rush....you've heard of Rush haven't you? ( But just remember what boss said, ...He wouldn't deal in drugs for any amount of money!)