Change on opening credits

roy1elvis

Does anyone know why John's opening credit was changed from kissing a girl to him sneaking up on the side of a barn with what looks to be a shovel in his hands? From what I can tell; that is the only change in the opening credits throughout the run of the show (except for the addition/subtraction of Deputies Cletus and Enos). Thanks!!

Does anyone know why John's opening credit was changed from kissing a girl to him sneaking up on the side of a barn with what looks to be a shovel in his hands? From what I can tell; that is the only change in the opening credits throughout the run of the show (except for the addition/subtraction of Deputies Cletus and Enos). Thanks!!

Howdy! Here's my educated guess:

The kissing scene was from the first episode, One Armed Bandits. The girl in question was Bo's girlfriend for that show, but she never appeared in the series again. It's my guess that the producers cut that scene from the opening credits, so that they didn't have to pay any further residuals to that actress.

I know there was always a switcheroo on the credit scenes whenever the striking actor du jour walked off the set. (Jimmie, Ben, Tom and John, Flash... ok, Flash wasn't in the credits, but you get the idea.)

I'm basing these observations on the different versions of the credits that are on YouTube - I haven't verified that they are correctly credited to the right season as they don't all list the episode they're from (although some have end credits, so you can work it out). If someone wants to go through the DVDs, feel free :).

I'm sure Brian is probably correct about royalties being paid for Bo's girlfriend (Jill Rae Dodson played by Tisch Raye). All the other people who appear in the credits are cast regulars.

Ignoring the changes that had to be made during the Coy and Vance era, there were still quite a few minor changes to the credits throughout the run. Waylon's hands/guitar aren't used for the first few episodes, there's someone else playing. Season 1 starts with the jump from 'One Armed Bandits' (Elm Street, Covington), but this get replaced in season 2 with a later jump. The first two seasons have Bo and Luke shooting out the tires from 'Repo Men', but from season 3 they use the same arrow firing shot followed but the outhouse exploding. Also from season 3 onwards the Styx river jump appears before the arrow sequence. Bo's girlfriend seems to make it through to season 3, but has gone by season 4. There's also a couple of shots that only appear after the first episodes; one of Rosco putting up a poster, and one of Boss pulling away in his Caddy. Ben and Sonny didn't appear in the original opening credits, so I'm assuming these shots were lost to make room. Thankfully they kept the shot of Daisy in her red bikini for all seven seasons ;).

Here's the videos I looked at - maybe y'all can spot some more differences:

(One Armed Bandits)

(Days of Shine and Roses)

(-/Mrs. Daisy Hogg)

The Dukes of Hazzard - intro season 5

Does anyone know why John's opening credit was changed from kissing a girl to him sneaking up on the side of a barn with what looks to be a shovel in his hands?

I just wanna address that second part about Bo sneaking around the barn with something. With his body language, it's easy to guess it might be a shovel or pitchfork. But it's actually his compound bow, which he's holding in a ready-to-draw position.

399558964.jpg

The scene is from "Mary Kaye's Baby", and occurs when the Bad Guys are at the Duke farm, looking for their missing money.

• 12 years later...