Commercials

Garrett Duke

Here's a commercial that premiered in the UK in 2007, but they're showing it again at the moment (which is what reminded me to post it here). It's for a car called the Fabia made by a company called Skoda (pronounced to rhyme with soda), which doesn't appear to be available in the US. Skoda is owned by Volkswagen, and their cars share many parts, especially engine, chassis etc. The 60 second commercial shows a full sized replica of the car being made from cake, accompanied by a Julie Andrews song!

Wikipedia article about the commercial

I now realise that the reason Skoda are re-showing the commercial above is that they have a new one for the performance model called the Fabia vRS. While the previous commercial was meant to show all the nice things that go into their cars, this commercial, called Mean Green, suggests a few wilder ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...

I never know whether commercials for global brands are seen around the world, or just certain areas. Either way, here's a few more memorable commercials from a few years ago:

First a commercial for Miller Genuine Draft filmed in San Francisco. Simple idea, but very effective:

Miller - Downhill

Another commercial filmed in San Francisco was for Sony BRAVIA. This is not CGI - 250,000 real balls were released down the streets:

This was parodied by soft drinks company Tango - this time filmed on the streets of Swansea, South Wales:

Sony also filmed a BRAVIA commercial in Glasgow, Scotland. This one involved loads of paint exploding over various buildings. All the paint was environmentally friendly and, if I recall correctly, the buildings were due to be demolished:

YouTube also has 'making of' videos for both of the Sony commercials if anyone's interested.

• 1 month later...

I know this commercial has been around for about 18 months, but they're showing it again over here (presumably while everyone is on their post-Christmas health kick :)). I'm posting it because the song (Dan the Automator's cover of the Sugarhill Gang's 'Rapper's Delight') has been in my head all day.

• 1 month later...

This commercial has just started airing on TV over here. It's for price comparison website moneysupermaket.com and stars David Soul and the Gran Torino. The other guy (who is a regular on their commercials) is Iranian stand-up comedian Omid Djalili, who has also been in movies like 'Gladiator' and 'The Mummy'.

• 3 months later...

Well I just saw the best commericial ever...on the computer. LOL. Go figure, huh? LOL. Anyway, my new favorite commercial! Then again my opinion is biased here ...

As I said, I may be biased in my opinion on this commericial, but Gordon or no Gordon, the commericial is hysterical and had me laughing through the whole thing. Hope they play it Sunday during the race...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing commercials and forgetting to post them. Here's a couple:

The first is another one for opticians SpecSavers. It was shown a lot around the time of the final Shuttle mission:

The second is for a mixed fruit drink called Vimto. I loved this stuff in th UK, but it doesn't seem to be available in Ireland :(. The lowrider reminded me of Cypriano's 'dancing' car from 'Hazzard in Hollywood'. The car is real; just the berries are CGIed:

Hello pretty ladies ...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This commercial is ten years old, but I've been listening to the music again recently. It's a UK commercial for Coca-Cola:

When it came out I liked the tune, found out that it was Pierre Henry's 'Psyche Rock', and bought it on a compilation CD a few months later. Because it was a Fatboy Slim remix I never questioned its age, and only recently found out that the original dates back to 1967. If it sounds familiar it may be because Christopher Tyng was heavily inspired by the tune when he wrote the Futurama theme.

Christopher Tyng must have liked late '60s music because the Futurama theme also samples The Winstons' 'Amen, Brother' from 1969. The six second drum break, known as the 'Amen Break', that appears at 1:27 has been used on hundreds (literally) of hip-hop, rave, ragga, jungle and acid house tracks.

• 4 weeks later...

Well y'all know how much I love NASCAR so it won't be surprised that I love NASCAR commercials. Especially the NAPA / Michael Waltrip commercials. Love the new ones this year with Waltrip and Mark Martin.

Especially this one...

Love the part with Martin cleaning the car's headlights and Waltrip reminding him that they aren't real...:popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...
I laughed when I saw the disclaimer "Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt." appear at the bottom of the screen. Then it made me sad that it was necessary.

It is sad that they have to post something that should be common sense to all in order for someone not to attempt what is done during a commercial like that. Love how Dale Jr seems to be snarling at the guy in the store when he grabs the last dew...that and the taxi waiting on him to drink the Dew.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a commercial for car accessory/cycle store Halfords. It draws heavily on (British) nostalgia for things like the old bikes, Polaroid cameras, rainy camping holidays etc. I know CDoherty is interested in bikes, so I can tell you that the blue one is a Raleigh Grifter. I had one in red. They looked like BMXs but weighed about three times as much and were about ten times less strong!

The music for the Halfords commercial is the 1979 single 'Into the Valley' by The Skids. Every time I hear it I'm reminded of another commercial from over 20 years ago for Maxell cassette tapes (for younger members who may be unfamiliar with cassette tapes, you can read about them here). The idea of the commercial was that lyrics were easily misheard if you weren't listening to Maxell tapes.

The use of the lyrics on cards is very like Bob Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues'. Maxell did a second commercial in the same style, this time with Desmond Dekker's 'The Israelites'.

I still find myself singing along to these songs with lyrics that appeared on these cards :).

• 3 months later...