To Keep On Keepin' On

DaisyMaeDuke

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sara shook her head softly.

"No...its all a part of coming back t'someplace an adjustin Luke...most people take one step through the front door of the house and wanna come back to the hospital again. Its a different atmosphere here...you have to start fending for yourself...and its a big shock...big thing to get used to again...I knew you'd call, I was plannin on it...but if I'd told you that, you never woulda tried t'come home..."

Sara shook her head gently.

"Luke...believe me....through my career i've heard so many tales...so many problems and I can probably guarentee that i've heard something similar to your story before. Nam weren't just suffered by you...hundreds of troops made it back suffering the same kinda psychological problems you are now..."

Luke whimpered the rest all unfolding in his mind, the tortures, the beatings, the fear: fear that he would not be alive the next day, but more often than not the fear that he would be... he didn't know how to voice all this, so he only sat tears streaming down his cheeks in shame rocking himself back and forth in vain attempt to give himself the comfort he so deperately needed.

"I can't make it stop hurting Luke, only you can make it stop hurting by stopping it controlling your life...you need to let this go, you need to tell me about everything that you need to...I can help you, but like I said when we started, I need to know everything...everything...."

She said firmly but softly, like she would speak to a child who didn't want a shot or who didn't want to stay in hospital.