When we were little...

BoJamesDuke

Jesse put his arm around his wife. "He sure seems quite taken with the youngin'. Ain't seen him so interested in somethin since he came here," observed Jesse watching Luke with the baby.

Luke was completely uaware that he was being watched. All he saw was the baby in his lap. Carefully he shifted his arm so he could better cradle Bo and stroked his little hand with his thumb. "S'ok...I'm gonna take good care of ya...I promise."

Bo shifted a little as he was moved and his hand softly uncurled as he felt Luke's thumb stroking it. He stilled again a little, as if even that movement was an effort, before closing his hand again around Luke's thumb.

Lavinia smiled softly as she watched the pair, wrapping her arms around Jesse's waist. nodding genly.

"They're gonna be quite a pair when they're older.."

"That they are," answered Jesse. He didn't say if Bo lived to be older, but he thought it.

Luke bit his lip as he felt the small hand close around his thumb, an urge to protect this little boy swelling inside of him.

It was then that his heart, still closed up from the tragic loss of his folks, opened just enough, to make room for Bo.

Luke looked at him, disbelief and a hint of sadness on his tan face. "Well, now you know..."

He didn't mean it as gruffly as it sounded. It had always been hard for Luke to express his emotions well, to anyone but Bo, and even then he still sometimes fell into the habit of hiding them, especially when something affected him. Like now. As he looked in Bo's deep blue eyes though, he found himself talking, making him more transparent with his cousin than he had been in a long time.

"You've always been important...if...if it wasn't for you...heck, I wouldn't even be alive today...don't you ever think you don't matter Bo Duke..." he added seriously, his blue eyes flashing with intensity. "You changed my life.."

To say Bo was stunned by the sudden outburst was an understatement...he was downright speechless. He knew the relationship between him and his cousin was special, they were closer than brothers...but he had never really explored why Luke kept Bo close when he pushed so many others away before. Luke wasn't even this open with Jesse at the best of times.

When he managed to find his voice again, he said softly.

"I...I never thought that I didn't matter Luke..but...its hard to hear you changed someone's life...when the person you hear it from is your own hero..."