Daddy Duke (continuation of Why is it)

Bo, for the first time in his life when Luke had wanted to confide something in him, found himself walking away. He had always known that to a degree Luke and Daisy could remember their parents and when he was little, sometimes he heard them talking when they thought he was asleep about them.

He didn't know his, had no memory of them. All he had was Uncle Jesse and Aunt Lavinia and while they had been the perfect substitutes...that's all they were....substitutes...he would never have the memories that Daisy and Luke had...would never remember getting a hug or a kiss goodnight from his mom and dad...and that was why he didn't like to hear Luke talk about how much he missed it.

He wanted to desperatly to just turn around and tell Luke how pathetic he was being about it, how at least he had that to remember them by, at least he could remember experiencing that...Bo only had proof his parents had loved, kissed him..actually existed as his parents through photgraphs - old ones at that.

But he couldn't say that to Luke...partly because he didn't have the guts to reveal his feelings about that...but also because he didn't want to hurt Luke's feelings like that.

Jesse sighed as he watched Bo slink indoors and head to his room, seeing that for once Bo didn't want to be with anyone...he wanted to be left alone. Shaking his head, he went outside and saw Luke walking away.

Without a word, he walked up to Luke, gripped his shoulders and turned him around, keeping the grip on his shoulders as he marched Luke to the barn.

Jesse led him all the way to the barn, stopping him when they were safely inside and turning him round. He didn't however start up the lectures or sit Luke down and demand to know what was running through his head, he instead just pulled Luke into his arms and hugged him softly, running a hand through his dark curls and rubbing his back softly.

Jesse sighed softly and continued the motions, starting to rock Luke in his arms gently.

"I know...what you want right now Luke...what you're wishing for...and i'm sorry that I can't and haven't ever been able to give that to ya...but all I can try and do is support ya and love ya with all my heart...you'll always have that from me Luke...always..."

Jesse nodded softly, hearing the emotion and practically feeling the tears that were filling Luke's blue eyes.

"I know Luke...and its probably because when ya have a child to look after...you look to your father to give you guidence on how to be a good one...there's a bond there that ain't broken by anythin an' its almost a tradition of the human nature to want to do it...I don't blame ya for wantin' that Luke and I wish that I could give it to ya..."

Jesse shook his head, rubbing Luke's back some more with a soft smile.

"Now don't you worry about it Luke....while it hurt to hear ya say it...the fact of the matter is its true...I am just a guy who adopted ya inta mine and yer aun't family...but the point is no matter what, i'll still protect ya like you were my own and I love ya like you were my own...and I also know that you never meant a word of it back then....you just had a mighty mean temper that could have riveled the one Bo has nowadays...you said things without thinkin' about em...especially when I pushed ya an' challeneged ya..."

Jesse sighed

"Luke you was only 12 years old at the time...you'd had a bad day an' I said some things that sparked off yer temper...you came apologisin right afterwards...and that night you was tucked up in your bed with me readin' ya a story like always...I know you never meant to hurt me...and truth is, i'm glad ya said it..."

Jesse placed a hand gently on his shoulder and looked Luke in the eyes.

"Because it showed me that no matter how much influence I had over ya...you would never forget I'm just your Uncle...that you would always remember you had a father who loved ya, who wanted nothin' more than to raise ya an' see ya grow....I can't ever get that from Bo...he doesn't remember a thing about his parents...your Aunt and I are all of a parental figure he does remember....and it saddens me that Bo cannot even grieve over them because of it..."