Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

eyes smoldering he knows his uncle is right but Luke just can't see how sticking another tube down Bo's throat is going to help him other than to get the food he needs in him but it wasn't going to help emotionally.

"I didn't say it'd be easier or nicer ta force him but it's still better than stickin' some dang tube down his throat. Doc's been great about everythin'....... lettin Bo stay at home instead of goin back to the hospital but another tube will crush 'im Uncle Jesse he got so frustrated the last time I just don't want him ta go through that again."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He nodded gently and spoke as soothingly as he could.

"I know Luke...but if we's don't get somethin' inta him soon then we's gonna have no choice or we're gonna lose him....and I know that you's gonna say puttin' the tube in his throat might make us lose him too....but if ya think like that then we're in a lose-lose situation anyhow....we's just gotta hope that Bo ain't gonna be so stubborn...."

Luke nods defeatedly he doesn't even have the heart to make a smart aleck remark about Bo being stubborn. Wanting what's best for Bo but still not sure about the tube and Bo's chances with it facts was facts if something drastic didnt change they were going to lose Bo but Luke's own stubbornesse refused to let him accept that.

Jesse in the meantime had long resided himself to the fact that it was now a very real possibility that he was going to lose his youngest. It had hurt him when he had realised it, even gone off privatly to weep a little knowing how imminent that fact was. He placed a hand on Luke's shoulder consoloingly, walking past him but whispering gently as he did.

"You have to let go sometimes Luke....sometimes its just better for everyone if ya let them go..."

He carried on walking, straight back into the house without looking back at Luke.

Jesse heard the sob and the thud and briefly entertained the idea of running back to Luke....but thought that maybe now that everythin had been said, Luke just needed some time alone to think things over and start to get his head around what was really happening. He knew that Luke had kinda blinded himself to how ill Bo really was....

He stepped back into the farmhouse without a word, leaning against the counter.

Picking up a bucket Luke hurls it across the barn hitting the wall causing Maudine to kick in her stall but so wrapped up in his temper tantrum he doesn't notice.

"Dammit it ain't fair......"

sits down sobbing letting everything that had been pent up for so long go.

Doc comes into the kitchen seeing Jesse leaning against the counter looking ill himself.

"Ya ok Jesse?"

Doc nods almost as upset as the family he'd watched these kids grow up and it was hard on him as a family friend and a doctor to lose a patient Bo's age.

"Luke'll be ok Jesse although from those sounds coming from the barn you may not have one left when his temper cools......I really do think the feeding tube is Bo's best chance. He's sleeping right now so I'll wait a while I want to explain things to him before I do anything."

B.L. stirs the nap having revived her,padding in her sock feet into the kitchen she looks at the Doc and Jesse downcast faces as another crash comes from the barn setting Maudine to braying and kicking again.

"wh.....what's going on?"

almost afraid to find out

Jesse sighed and looked up at B.L as she entered the room and smiled as much as he could which really wasn't very much.

"Just Luke havin' a realisation.....B.L....you need ta sit down to hear this...."

He waited a moment for B.L. to sit down, as she looked between him and the Doc worriedly.

"B.L....I'm tellin' ya this because out of You and Daisy you's the one that's gonna be able to accept this the best....we're.....we're losin' Bo....the outcome of this don't look good B.L....we can all see it he just ain't gettin' no better....and Luke's only just realised that...."

Cooter pulled up into the yard, getting out the wrecker cheerily to see his buddy's and B.L who he hadn't seen since Bo had come out the hospital. But, as soon as he heard the commotion in the barn he headed that way to find Luke flinging buckets and sobbing hysterically. He ducked one that came his way and called out softly.

"Hey buddy roe, I know I ain't the best lookin' person in the world but ya don't have ta go to such dramatic measures ta get me lookin' better...."

Doc pats B.L.'s shoulder as she gasps in horror shaking her head not wanting to accept the news anymore than the others. Taking a few deep breaths she looks Doc straight in the eye asking.

"How much longer do we get ta keep him?"

Sighing Doc shakes his head sadly

"I don't know dear,he's lost entirely too much weight so I'd like to put in a feeding tube try and get some nourishment in him then we might have a few more weeks even months maybe."

Nods letting out the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding still having trouble getting her head around the fact that it was only a matter of time before Bo was gone it just didn't seem possible since it'd only been less than a month ago that Bo'd been perfectly healthy. Wishing she could throw a few things herself like Luke was doing but knowing for now she had to be strong for the family there would be time for her to deal with the news later but she had to be the one to take care of the Dukes for now. Getting up from where she sat to stand behind Jesse's chair wrapping her arms around him from behind.

Luke drops the horse bucket that was to be his next missle at his feet wiping away his tears embarrassed.

"Sorry Cooter.....Jesse jus' tole me we was gonna lose Bo no matter what we do and I didn't take it so good."

sweeps around at the mess the barn was in after his fit of temper.

Jesse drew a deep breath as B.L wrapped her arms around his shoulders and closed his eyes as the Doc gave his verdict on how long he believed Bo had left. He didn't like the idea of a feeding tube anymore than Luke did....but if it gave Bo just that little bit more time with them....then he was willing to try anything.

Cooter stood in silence for a moment as he let Luke's words sink in before asking warily, Luke was looking a tad unpredictable at the moment and that was a Luke he didn't want to get on the wrong side of.

"Lose....lose Bo? What d'ya mean....lose Bo?"

B.L. looks out the kitchen window from her place behind Jesse before resting her chin lightly on top of his head.

"Cooter's here,must be talkin' ta Luke....guess he thought I'd dropped off the earth and came ta check on me."

Luke rounds on Cooter eyes filled with a mixture of pain,fear and anger.....choking on the first two words

"He's dyin' Cooter......and I can't do a damn thing about it nobody can not even Doc......'ceptin ta put another dang tube down his throat ta get him ta eat more."

leans against the support post he'd hit before,shoulders slumped in defeat and exhaustion from lack of sleep and his recent exertion of the pent of feelings running through him.

Jesse nodded.

"S'good....maybe Cooter can talk ta him a little bit....maybe talk some sense inta him a little...."

Cooter was once again stunned into silence, left gaping at what he had just heard..

"He can't be! i saw him just a few days ago! I mean how can he go from bein' so much better ta dyin' in a couple o'days?!"

B.L. just tightens her arms around Jesse's shoulders hoping Cooter could do some good cos Luke sure hadn't been listening to anybody else.

"I wish I knew Cooter......Lord how I wished I knew what was goin on,it's strange one minute Bo's jokin' and playin' the next he's to weak ta even twitch a finger it seems. I jis' don't understand it! He'd given up hope of even gettin' better jus' so tired of bein' sick then he seemed ta get his spirit renewed and was fightin' again now he's right back ta thinkin' he's morbid thoughts an' I ain't ashamed ta admit it scares the hell outta me to see him like this. He's not eatin much in I can't remember when and ya can literally count his ribs Cooter,his skin's kinda yella but Doc says that's nothin' ta worry about. Not sure if ya heard but he's got malaria and the Doc's got him on an IV for it but it don't seem ta be helpin'."

Looks over to Cooter with haunted eyes

"what happens ta the rest of us if Bo dies?.....Uncle Jesse'll keep on keepin on like he always has but I ain't so sure Daisy'll fare as well."

Doesn't say it but he's unsure of how he himself will survive without Bo.

Jesse nodded and looked up at the Doc.

"How are ya goin' ta....insert the tube and all....and when?"

Cooter sighed and closed his eyes for a moment, He didn't know what to feel, do or say....what do you say when you just learnt that one of your best friends who was more like family to you is dying?

He stepped more into the barn and softly put a hand on Luke's arm.

"I wish I could tell ya Luke....but....I wouldn't be more concerned about Daisy....i think everyone's gonna be more concerned about you...."

"I'd like to get it done today as soon as he wakes up, I'll explain things to him......the sooner it's done the better,it's just the sooner we'll be able to get nourishment in him...There's two ways I can do it one is to put the tube in his nose running it down to his stomach and I'm pretty sure he's not going to like the idea of something in his nose. The second is minor surgery to insert it directly into his stomach,it won't even be noticible through is clothes it's upto you which way we go because I don't think Bo is thinking rationally enough to make that decision on his own right now he's given up hope and that's not good."

B.L. tries to hide a sniff as the Doc describes the procedures then preceeds to tell them Bo isn't thinking rationally enough to make his own medical decisions because he'd given up all hope of living.

Luke looks up slightly caught off guard tries to cover it with confusion.

"Why would they be more concerned 'bout me than Daisy....she's only slightly better than Bo at acceptin' these kinda things and not goin' ta pieces over them. I'll be alright."

Luke mentally laughed at his own last statement sure he'd be alright that was a laugh he'd just almost singly handedly destroyed the interior of the barn.

Jesse shuddered and bowed his head, running his hand down his face before looking back up at the Doc.

"Which do you think is best Doc? I just don't know if Bo's up ta surgery....minor or no...."

Cooter shook his head.

"Luke....if this is what you's like now....d'ya really expect me ta believe ya gonna be better if it does happen?"

Jesse nodded again, getting up from the chair and heading to his room.

"I's goin' ta lie down a while...wake me up if anythin' happens."

Without waiting for a reply he closed his door and sank onto his bed, laying down and saying silent prayers to the lord above.

Cooter wrapped an arm round his friends shoulder but made no move to do anything other than that. He didn't know what to do....

Cooter looked up and smiled slightly at B.L

"Well there's the disappearin' act! Been wonderin' where ya been....can see why ya been here though...."

Bo shifted slightly in his sleep, feeling a little better now that he was clean again. He opened his eyes a little to find that Luke had in fact torn himself away from Bo for a while. He smiled slightly to himself and settles back down into sleep.

Jokes half heartedly

"it's a full time job keepin' Luke here straight"

Luke tries to smile at the jibe but fails it being more of a grimace

puts her arm around Luke's waist as he sits down numbly beside her on the haybale

"Ya gonna be alright darlin "

Luke shrugs his shoulders

"What choice do I have but ta be ok.....*sniffs* we're gonna lose him B.L."

squeezes Luke's waist kissing his cheek

"maybe not darlin' Doc is hopin' the feedin tube gettin' nourishment in Bo will give him tha strength he needs ta fight."

Cooter nodded and sat the other side of Luke, hating the uncomfortable silence that had fallen....it was too eeriee.

"So I's guessin' you's ain't gonna be racin' on Saturday then?"

The main reason he had come out here was to see if they were and to help them tune the General for a bit...but now he wasn't sure...