Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

Frowns that Bo read his mind he'd have to be careful not to let so much show in his facial expressions......sighing as Bo insists he do all the things that would ordinarily be activities taken for granted,not knowing how he could even think of doing anything that would be normal routine with Bo so sick.

"Bo....I can't just leave ya here with nothin' ta do but lie here in bed while I'm out doin' the things you love to do. Tell ya what let's compromise. I'll take the girls ta work a day or two a week till ya get better.......as fer datin ya best get well fast or I'll take Mindy-Ann out jukin' she prolly perfers dark haired men to blonde little boys anyway. *grins teasingly although he'd never steal Bo's girl while he was so sick or not sick for that matter*."

*snaps his fingers*

"I got an idea how ya can be a part of me tunin' the General,while still restin' and gettin' better."

*starts to move the furniture without another word*

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bo rolled his eyes gently as he watched Luke. He didn't have a clue what he was doing but he wasn't about to ask. Luke usually went off on random idea tangents and usually he ended up including Bo in them anyway so there really was no point in questioning his actions.

"Luke, Mindy Ann needs a YOUNG man, not some old has been...."

He wiggled his eyebrows teasingly but then turned serious again.

"No Luke, here's a compromise. Whenever I'm sleepin' durin' the day, which will probably be a lot of the time, then you go out and have some fun for at least 2 hours....and you take the girls to work and spend some time at the Boar's Nest awake or not."

His tone had suddenly taken on an authoratitive air, one that he only ever used when he was being deadly serious.

After moving most of the other furniture around, Luke gently helps Bo to his own bed so he can move his own so that it's right in front of the window. Raising the window he helps Bo back to his bed

with a mock scowl playfully swatting Bo upside the head

"I'll make ya think old has been........"

"There now ya can get fresh air it ain't the weather makin' ya sick noway and I's can pull the General over here ta work and ya can still be my right hand man."

grins wondering why he hadn't thought of this before.

"I ain't promisin' I'll leave the farm fer those two hours but I'll help Uncle Jesse wherever he needs me. I'll take the girls ta work but I ain't stayin' if yer awake. If yer gonna sleep alot more then I wanna be here when you are awake and spend time with ya."

Jaw set stubbornly giving Bo a look that clearly said how dare Bo order him, he was the oldest he gave the orders not Bo.

Bo swallowed as he heard Luke's idea and wished to god that he could help...but he couldn't...

"Luke I....I ain't allowed ta put my hand in the engine or nothin'....'specially not with this..."

He held up his hand with the IV in, giving a slight gasp of horror as he saw the colour his skin had become but he made no further move to show it than that.

"And 'sides....I also ain't allowed cause of my immune system thing not bein' 'up to par' as Uncle Jesse says...god Luke I wish I could help out....but havin' the bed here is nice....fresh air and all..."

He wiped his hand over his cheeks, brushing away the sweat that was starting to pour down once more but also to wipe away the tears that just never seemed to relent.

"And you's will leave the farm if Uncle Jesse has anythin' to say 'bout it....I may not be able ta order you around but he sure can..."

Smiles tenderly brushing the hair away that was sticking to Bo's forehead.

"I know ya can't be gettin' in the engine but ya can be my extry set of ears to check the timin' and such. It may not be the same but it'll hafta do till ya well. I can put a few of the tools on the window sill and ya can hand those to me with yer other hand since it'll be closer ta the window anyway,still keep ya IV in place and clean."

nods with half grin

"Don't I know only too well how he can order me around."

Doc goes back to the boys room raising an eyebrow towards Luke at the rearrangement of the furniture getting a sheepish shrug and grin. Smiling back Doc checks Bo's vital signs thinking the fresh air will do Bo good,he'd always been figity when kept inside for any length of time.

Bo smiled slightly back up at his older cousin, he was thankful for Luke doing what he was, even though it totally defeated the idea of getting Luke to leave him alone for more than 30 seconds out the range of 2 metres that Luke had been keeping.

Truth be told, although he didn't tell Luke at all, he didn't actually want to help with the General....not that he didn't care anymore but because he couldn't do anything and that frustrated him to no end.

As the Doc came over and started to do his routine check up, Bo scowled slightly at him. Each time the Doc had seen him there had been drugs and needles involved. He said in a menacing tone, even if it was a bit weak.

"You give me anymore drugs or another needle I'll knock you 5 ways from sunday...."

Doc chuckles not the least bit worried by the threat holding his hands up defensively.

"I promise Bo nomore needles and nomore drugs except what's coming through your IV."

Luke however doesn't like Bo's tone the doc is only trying to help him scolds gently.

"You'll do no such thing.......ya'll take whatever Doc thinks ya need and like it got that."

Bo scowled now over at Luke, not really mad at the Doc at all but Luke had no call to talk to him like he was 5...even if he knew he was acting like he was again. His tone was snappy.

"When you's can lie here and have god knows how many drugs pumped through ya through god knows how many needles when your dang terrified of them then you can comment alright Luke, until then back off."

Luke sighs he didn't mean ta set Bo off.........sitting on the edge of the bed as Doc leaves the room he again pushes the hair that was sticking to Bo's sweaty forehead off placing a cool cloth there.

"I'm sorry Bo I didn't mean ta upset ya......I know how afraid ya are of needles they ain't my most favorite thing ta see either. But ya can't snap it Doc fer doin' his job ok if ya gonna snap at somebody snap at me not Uncle Jesse the girls or Doc."

sits on the other bed with a flop studying Bo and racking his brain for ideas he'd been so eager he hadn't thought of those things. Slowly a smile comes to his lips before Luke snaps his fingers.

"Simple I fill the tub and ya can hand yer hand outside that way it don't get wet. As for the clothes well I can cut 'em off with the scissors. But that still leaves the problem of gettin' more on ya and I don't think Daisy's gonna be happy if I go around cuttin all yer clothes."

Not wanting to embarass Bo by asking the Doc just how they could pull this off Luke sits on the bed still contemplating a solution as his eyes trace the IV line from Bo's hand to the medicine bag on the pole.

Luke bites back a retort about takin' it out knowing Bo was only joking. Nods as he calls

"Doc could ya come in here a minute."

Doc gets up going back to the boys room with a curious look at Jesse Luke sounded excited about something.

"What is it Luke"

Luke gives Doc a hopeful look.

"Can Bo have a bath with that thing in 'im"

Doc smiles

"Well I don't see why not the pole has wheels so he isn't confined to bed he can be in any room in the house as long as he feels like being up and around."

Luke raises questioning eyebrows as he asks

"Well how do we get it through the sleeve?"

Again Doc smiles then frowns looking at Bo and Luke

"Well it's simple the bag itself will go through a t-shirt sleeve but I'm afraid we're going to have to cut the sleeve of the one you've got on now Bo.....but then you can wear a t-shirt and it can be changed easily enough."

Luke smiles his eyes dancing happily like it was him instead of Bo that was being allowed to do something other than lie in the bed.

Bo grinned happily back, he knew that he could be in any room of the house but at the moment he didn't really feel like he had the energy to go anywhere else beside the bedroom....and besides it was comforting there and as boring as it was to stare at the same four walls, he could cope because all his things were in there that brought back so many memories for him.

He grinned and nodded at the Doc, happy to be able to have a bath and getting to wear a t-shirt. He missed his blue one...

"Be right back Bo lemme get the scissors."

Luke quickly goes in search of Daisy's sewing basket

"Hey Dai..........."

stops as he notices her asleep glad she was resting he'd started to notice the same tale tale signs of exhaustion in her face that was still in his own slightly. Whispers

"Hey Uncle Jesse ya know where Daisy's sewing basket is I need her scissors.......Bo wants ta take a bath but we gotta cut his shirt off his arm with the IV."

seeing the questioning look on Jesse's face Luke smiles

"Doc says it's ok"

Jesse looked up at Luke, the worry creases eased from his face a little as he hears the news. He nodded and pointed over to the far corner of the room, whispering gently.

"They's in the second half Luke....could ya come back soon and help me put Daisy inta bed...she's out like a light, I's gonna talk to J.D. and see if I cant talk him inta letting Daisy have some time off...."

"Yes sir I'll be right back"

rummages in the part of the basket Jesse told him coming up with the scissors. Taking them back and handing them to Doc

"If you'll get started on that Uncle Jesse wants me ta help get Daisy to bed."

Doc takes the scissors starting at the cuff of Bo's shirt sleeve.

"Alright Luke"

Returning to the livingroom Luke easily picks Daisy up in his arms following Uncle Jesse as he goes to her room opening the door. Laying Daisy on the bed carefully Luke moves B.L. from her crossways position to being in the bed right before shifting Daisy over a little more from the edge and covering them both,leaving the room.

"Ya need me to do anythin' else Uncle Jesse?"

Jesse sighed and put a firm hand on Luke's shoulder.

"There's always somethin' that needs doin' Luke....but right now the most important thing I need ya to be doin' is restin' up....it ain't gonna be too long 'afore we have to get this farm back up and runnin' and we's gonna have to work twice as hard with Bo as out of action as he is..."

He squeezed gently and spoke again before Luke could protest.

"And I know what you's gonna say, I can't sleep until Bo's better, or I ain't gonna sleep until Bo condition improves, but you listen here young man I am about this far...*He held his thumb and forefinger inches apart* from losing my wick with you and I ain't afraid to let Daisy have her way and bash ya round the head with her fryin' pan ta knock some sense inta ya..."

Luke cringed inwardly thinking here came another lecture as Jesse took a firm hold of his shoulder. Biting back a frustrated sigh he didn't want to be lectured and he was having a hard enough time with things as they were.

"I already promised Bo I's gonna do more around here than sit with him all the time. He tole me it's time I started livin' my life again but I jis' don't see how I can Uncle Jesse,I ain't left Bo's side fer more than a few minutes fer 2 and a half weeks now 'n I don't know if I can other than ta do chores and maybe take the girls to work but he wants me to race.....I...I don't know if I can do that but I guess I'm gonna hafta cos I promised him I would."

scrubs a hand over tired eyes he'd slept but it wasn't a worry free restful sleep,twisting from side to side Luke tried to work the kinks out of his back after being still for so long.

Jesse sighed and regarded his oldest for a minute, before softening.

"Luke...I know's you's is harbourin' a lot of guilt fer this...I didn't want ta bring it up with ya, was waitin' fer ya to admit it to me...but it ain't yer fault Bo got sick son....I know you's always want ta keep him under yer wing and make sure nothin' hurts him....heck I feel that everyday with you all...but if Bo didn't want ta let on nothin' was wrong then he wasn't goin' ta no way no how. You know Duke stubborness is often a Duke's worst enemy and in this case it was...."

He put both hands on Luke's shoulders and made him look at him.

"But Bo has to get better....and in order fer him to get better we have to listen to what he wants us to do. If he wants ya ta race then there is a dang good reason fer that....he may have already told ya I don't know....but ya got to remember that you arn't racin' fer yerself, yer not bein' selfish....yer racin' fer Bo, because Bo asked ya to....because its what he wants....and he is right, he wants us ta get back to normal....for once he's bein' the rational one outta the lot of us, and if ya ask Doc I'm sure he'll agree...."

He smiled softly.

"It's gonna be hard Luke,. but we'll get through it...you just have to let him go for a while. Allow him to do what he wants...."

looks at Jesse dejectedly

"All that's easier said than done.........my head knows it ain't my fault Bo's sick and I didn't catch on.....I'm gonna race and I'm gonna win it fer Bo....he's just got ta start gettin' better Uncle Jesse that medicine ain't even workin' and it's goin' straight into his veins."

before Jesse can lecture him anymore he turns back toward the bedroom

"I gotta help Doc so's Bo can have a bath"

Returns to the bedroom seeing Doc has the shirt removed and discarded on the foot of the bed,picking it up Luke holds it up with a lopsided girn.

"Daisy's gonna be real happy 'bout this when she wakes up.....c'mon Bo lets get that bath if ya'll push the IV pole Doc I'd me much obliged"

As Luke picks Bo up Amos maneuvers the IV pole the short distance down the hall to the bathroom. Turns on the water filling the tub before turning back to the boys speaking to Bo sitting on the commode lid where Luke had placed him helping him stay upright till the bath water was ready.

"Bo would you rather I get yer Uncle in here ta help Luke?"

not wanting to embarass Bo he'd had things rough enough without adding anything unnecessary to the mix.