Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

Bo refused to look at anyone, only ducked his head knowing that whatever he said wouldn't make any difference anyway, they would do what they thought they had to....

Daisy sighed and looked up at Luke and then the Doc, wondering what was going to happen....she would help whatever they needed to do, determined to help Luke as much as Bo to cope....

Cooter smiled as B.L fell asleep and settled back to get some rest himself.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke looked at the Doc pleadingly for him to tell them what to do. He'd help Bo anyway he could.

Doc patted Daisy on the shoulder and gave both cousins as reassuring a smile as he could. Silently he draws something into a syringe inserting it into the IV line not having the heart to stick Bo again.

Holding Bo, Luke closed his eyes he didnt want to see this happen but he'd keep his promise to Bo and stay close.

The drug started to take effect almost immidiatly, Bo's eyes practically falling closed within a minute. He went limper and limper in Luke's arms until eventually he was completly resting against him.

Daisy helped Luke to ease Bo into lying and then waited for more instructions from the Doc, gently squeezing Luke's shoulder,

Doc gets the supplies from his bag looking at Luke and Daisy.

"Alright you two out......ya seen enough of this kinda stuff going on lately I can handle it from here."

Luke shakes his head stubbornly he'd promised Bo he'd stay and he was going to do just that, crossing over to the other bed taking Daisy with him one arm wrapped protectively around her shoulders. Sitting down he turned his back on what the Doc was doing to Bo unable to watch.

Doc gently started feeding the tube into Bo's nose not having given Bo much of the drug he wouldn't sleep for hours after the procedure like before when given a sedative. Finishing the task in about 15 minutes he sighed softly turning to the others on the opposite bed.

"Alright it's done,he shouldnt sleep too long I only gave him a small dose."

Luke nods crossing back over to sit beside Bo willing himself not to be sick at the sight of the tubing.

Bo shifted only a little as the Doc started but made no other move than that, keeping deadly still.

Daisy too went with Luke until the proceedure was done and very nearly burst into tears herself at the sight of the tubing now in Bo's nose....she felt so sorry for him and a part of her was whispering that it would be so much eaisier on him just for him to die....

Luke pulled Daisy onto his lap holding her close as they waited for Bo to regain conscienceness. It was as much for his own comfort as hers. Gulping once again seeing the tubing he looks at the ceiling willing the tears away and trying to not look at the tube now in Bo's nose it really made it hit home that Bo was dying and now the only thing keeping him alive would be that feeding tube. It all seemed so cruel but yet Luke couldn't stand the thought of losing Bo some part of him deep down still believed Bo would get better.

Daisy sat in Luke's lap, gently resting her head against his chest, the tears that Luke could hold back slipping down her own cheeks. She knew as well as the rest of the family did that Bo wasn't getting any better....that everyday was just prolonging the agony for him....and yet Bo kept on living each day...she looked up gently at Luke...

"Luke....ya don't think...the only reason Bo's fighting is because....he's waiting fer you to tell him its ok to go....do ya?"

Luke gasps the tears he'd been fighting so hard to hold back slipping silently from his eyes as he looks at her.....tries to swallow past the lump in his throat to answer finally manages to say in a hoarse voice that doesn't even sound like his to his own ears.

"Lord I hope not Daisy.....ain't sure I can ever say those words....."

Ducks his head as his shoulders begin to shake with silent sobs he'd been thinking about these same things before Cooter found him in the barn part of him wanted to just tell Bo it was ok so it would all end and he wouldn't hurt or be so weak but the part of him that was scared to lose Bo wouldn't let go.

"I can't help it Daisy......... I don't wanna lose him........ even if there's the smallest .......chance he'd get better. I know it's sounds selfish ta wanna keep him when......... he's hurtin' so bad and so sick but I jus' can't give up on him."

Daisy wrapped her arms round Luke's middle and snuggled into him a bit more, crying herself for her youngest cousin.

"I know....and Uncle Jesse knows, everyone knows this is gonna be so hard on ya Luke...o'course it'll hit us all hard but....Luke he ain't gettin' no better....the medicine ain't killin' the bug it's just holdin' it steady it appears....Oh luke please just find a way to let him go....I can't stand seeing him like this anymore, this isn't how I wanna remember him...."

Luke cries broken heartedly for the first time he knew Daisy was right he had to find a way to let Bo go and come to terms with it. It would be the hardest thing he'd ever done but he had to for Bo's sake.

"I'll try Daisy"

In the background the song [iHow can I help you to say goodbye] plays softly.

[/iThrough the back window of a '59 wagon

I watched my best friend Jamie slippin' further away

I kept on waving 'till I couldn't see her

And through my tears, I asked again why we couldn't stay

Mama whispered softly, Time will ease your pain

Life's about changing, nothing ever stays the same

And she said, How can I help you to say goodbye?

It's OK to hurt, and it's OK to cry

Come, let me hold you and I will try

How can I help you to say goodbye?

I sat on our bed, he packed his suitcase

I held a picture of our wedding day

His hands were trembling, we both were crying

He kissed me gently and then he quickly walked away

I called up Mama, she said, Time will ease your pain

Sitting with Mama alone in her bedroom

She opened her eyes, and then squeezed my hand

She said, I have to go now, my time here is over

And with her final word, she tried to help me understand

Mama whispered softly, Time will ease your pain

How can I help you to say goodbye?]

the end of the song making Luke cry that much harder a song had never done that to him and it was unnerving but this time it was as if it were being played to help him make the decision to let Bo go.

Daisy watched Luke as they both listened to the song. She took Bo's hand gently in hers and squeezed it softly feeling so utterly helpless. she couldn't help Bo and she couldn't help Luke....there was no one she could help, all she could do was sit and wait it out with the family.

She rested her head against Luke's chest again, whispering softly but still crying.

"he'll never leave us Luke....not really he won't....s#long as ya keep him alive in yer heart and yer memories....it wont ever be the same but.....s'the best we can do fer him now...."

Luke placed his hand around both Daisy's and Bo's making it a three way hold,as they listened to the song. Stroking Daisy's hair as she cried into his chest.

"I know Dais......we'll make it somehow and always keep Bo with us."

Sniffs thinking about what Uncle Jesse had always told them that the Lord Almighty didn't put more on a person than they could bear but this ordeal was sure testing all their limits.

Eventually Bo started to come round, groaning softly and swallowing gently, trying to get used to the horrible intrusion in the very back of his throat and his nose. It wasn't as bad as the breathing tube, but it was still horrible...

Daisy looked down at Bo as he stirred and smiled softly, wiping away her tears.

"Shhhh s'alright Bo....we're both here still....shhhhh"

Turns Bo's head back to face them knowing he wasn't liking the feeding tube already,seeing the fear in his eyes also knew he was afraid this tube would be like the breathing tube and hurt his throat. Smiles again.

"ya don't gotta try to talk Bo s'ok."

Looks up at Daisy

"Why doncha go tell Doc that Bo's back with the land of the living"

Bites his tounge thinking what a stupid thing that was to say considering the circumstances...mumbles

"sorry....stupid thing ta say"

Daisy's heart stopped a little at Luke's words but she smiled at them anyway, shrugging and whispering

"S'alright."

She stepped out the room and down the hall, calling,

"Doc....Doc Bo's awake again..."

Bo just lay there passivly, not having the energy to cry nor to make any kind of gesture to Luke.

Doc goes to the boys room smiling to see Bo awake and looking alert.

"well hello there young man.........lets see how your doing"

checks all Bo's vital signs pleased that nothing had changed for the worse.

"Everything appears to be fine"

Luke sighs relieved to at least know nothing had gotten worse from the proceedure.

"Hey Doc is this thing gonna hamper Bo's speech and all like the breathing tube did maybe make his throat sore?"

Doc shakes his head

"No it shouldnt"

Bo sighed deeply and remained focused on the ceiling, not knowing what else to do. He wanted to ask what exacttly the tube was doing but he was still too afraid to ask despite the doctors reassurances.

daisy had settled herself in the lounge, attempting to take her mind off things by reading a book.

Luke continues to hold Bo comfortingly reassuring him it was going to be ok. Looking back to Doc asks

"Jis how's this tube s'posed to help Bo?"

Doc clears his throat putting things away in the bag

"Well Luke, instead of having to swallow the food it'll be a high nutrition and calorie liquid died that will be put into the end of the tube here *indicates the part in question* and it will go straight to Bo's stomach bypassing the need to swallow and the pain from his sore throat"

Luke grimaces it didn't sound pretty but that didn't matter all that mattered was helping Bo anyway they could.