Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

Jesse watched as the agitation rose in Bo's eyes and figured exactly what it was that was wrong. Bo couldn't answer because his whole body was paralyzed in a sense.

He walked over and gently took his right hand.

"Alright Bo....no need to get so agitated now...this wont be permanant, it was just to stop your hurting...now....if you want it in this hand then blink once for me, if not blink twice."

Bo breathed in deeply and slowly blinked twice. Jesse nodded

"There now ya see....he wants it in his left Amos...."

He then turned to Luke and gently whispered.

"You don't need ta hold him down this time...he can't move as it is....just...hold him alright?"

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amos smiles reassuringly at Bo taking Bo's left hand swabbing it with an alcohol pad.

"Your Uncle Jesse's right the muscle relaxer will be wearing off in another couple of hours at the longes it was just a small dose.....Left it is then"

Luke nods holding Bo close with a gulp,closing his own eyes unable to watch as Doc inserts the needle into the back of Bo's hand before connecting it to the tubing that leads to the bag of medication hanging from the IV pole.

Doc pats Bo's arm kindly before clearing away the items from the nightstand

"All done now you should start to get better before long"

Luke looks upto the bag hanging from the pole following the tubing down to Bo's hand before glancing over at the doctor asking.

"What are you giving him?"

"Quinidine gluconate, it will kill the parasites that caused the malaria within a week and it's one of the most effective antimalarial medications."

Bo whimpered slightly as he felt the needle nestle once more into the back of his hand, and squeezed his eyes firmly shut to stop himself crying once more, letting his head roll into Luke's chest as Luke pulled him closer.

Jesse watched heart brokenly as Bo squeezed his eyes shut and found it disturbing how Bo couldn't even out up much of a fight. It was like seeing him be put through all that had been done to him in the cabin all over again and he couldn't help but wonder if that was how Bo was feeling too.

He looked over gratefully at Amos and gestured outside the room, gently closing the door and turning to him

"Doc...I want ya to be honest with me....now I know that Malaria can kill....what are my boy's chances...."

Luke smooths Bo's hair back from his face tenderly as the doctor and Uncle Jesse leaves the room.

Doc Appleby folds his arms across his chest his face turning up in a slight frown.

"I really don't know for sure Jesse he's so weak already. Ordinarily I'd say he had a purty good chance being as he's normally a healthy vibrant young man. The best I can tell ya is the medicine he's on right now with the IV should at least destroy some of the malaria parasites,the thing is he can only be on this particular medication for a week but if all goes well I can then put him on an oral antimalarial medicine to finish clearing it up.....A good deal depends on Bo's attitude whether he has a positive one that he will get well or whether he just gives up if we can keep him positive and fighting we'll have a better chance of pulling him through."

Jesse nodded gently, with Bo's attitude being like it was at the moment....he wasn't exactly sure which way to swing. He just hoped the medicine would work...he didn't want to have to put one of his children into an early grave...if he did...he wasn't entirly sure the other wouldn't follow....

Amos gives Jesse time to take all he said in,knowing that it would be hard if something happened to Bo but it would most likely kill Luke as well.

"I'm going to do all I can Jesse but that's all I can promise at this point. I just don't know how it's going to turn out just do alot of prayin',and supportin Bo'. If anything the love and support of his family is going to help him almost as much as the medicine will."

B.L. having worked behind the bar for the first few hours eventually ventured out,taking orders and serving customers. Not having any trouble like what she'd had with the red haired guy. Things had been kind of slow and nothing more than a little flirting had gone on which she willingly flirted back with the men.

Jesse smiled thankfully and nodded.

"We's been doing that a lot already....let's just hope Bo responds to it as well as the medicine....are you staying from now or are ya heading back inta town?"

Daisy smiled as she saw B.L start to serve a couple of table. She was gradually getting more confident, she couldn't wait to see how she would react to Bo and Luke's encouragment booster when Bo was more up to it...

"Hey B.L, we need to go get some of those ice things ya were talking about for Bo later...."

Doc pats Jesse's shoulder reassuringly

"I'm staying......didn't have any afternoon appointments so I closed the clinic early and left a sign that in an emergency this is where I'd be"

Luke yawns,rubbing his eyes as he fights sleep the emotional strain of all this is just as tiring on him as the malaria is physically tiring to Bo.

B.L. looks up at Daisy while picking up the tray of empty beer mugs and heading for the bar.

"Yeah......hey how much longer till we get off? Uncle Jesse ain't called or nothin' and I was sure he'd call with an update on Bo by now.....been so busy I haven't been keeping track of the time."

Daisy looked up at the clock as she walked back to the bar

"Uh...I got 10 minutes left which means you probably do too....I'm a bit worried about that too...."

Bo noticed Luke's yawn and wanted to tell him to go to sleep, that he would be alright but frustratingly still couldn't. So instead, he closed his eyes and pretended to start falling asleep, in the hopes that Luke would soon follow.

Jesse smiled gratefully back and started heading towards the kitchen.

"Well....if you's going to be staying....why don't you have a coffee...."

B.L. steps behind the bar and begins to wipe down the bar and wipes a few glasses as they wait for the 10 minutes to be up. Smiling trying to relieve both their worries

"There's probably nothing to report is why he hasn't called and we're just worryin' unneccesarily it's just hard not to do it though."

Luke notices Bo close his own eyes as if he too were going to sleep but knew better. He hadn't had enough medication to make him sleepy so was probably just trying to lessen his (Luke's) worries in order to sleep. Stubbornly though Luke continues to scrub at his drooping eyelids,he couldn't seem to help it as they drooped further. It'd been a long day they'd been awake since about 3 he figured,loosing the battle Luke drifts into sleep.

Following Jesse into the kitchen sitting at the table

"Coffee sounds real good........*takes the coffee*.....thanks"

Bo felt his older cousin drift into sleep with his arms still wrapped protectivly around him, something he at the moment was thankful for. He opened his eyes and smiled inwardly at the sight of Luke sleeping, he looked so calm and peaceful. it was nice.

Jesse shook his head as he handed Amos the cup.

"no thanks needed...s'least I can do...."

Doc reguards Jesse for a few moments his old friend looks 10 years older than he did 2 weeks ago. He's afraid this is going to be too much strain on the entire family before it's over.

"I know that Luke's emotionally drained and can't keep goin much longer before his body rebels against him and demands sleep whether he wants to sleep or not. Daisy's lookin' tired but she's a strong girl.....but how are you holdin' up Jesse?"

Jesse drank slowly from the cup he was holding and sighed after he swallowed. He felt so much older than he was, wearier.

"I'm lastin'...how much longer I can last with Luke bein' as he is and Bo bein' as ill as he is a mystery....but I ain't about to give up on them easy like...they['s my family, practically the only family I's got left...I's just got to learn as Luke and Daisy and B.L is ghoin' ta have ta, to balance the time I spend lookin' after myself and the time with Bo...."

Bo softly closed his eyes again as Luke's gentle breathing provided the soothing comfort he needed to relax.

Amos finishes his coffee,helping himself to another cup it was bound to be another long night at the Duke farm and he was going to need the coffee to stay alert. He sighs inwardly as he listens to Jesse knowing that if things kept going the way they were he was going to end up with 4 more patients besides Bo. Sitting his cup down doc steeples his fingers before propping his chin on them.

"Luke's just overly worried and overly tired Jesse and scared despite his best efforts to hide it in there I saw unmistakable fear in the unkown of Bo's future health he's afraid he's going to lose Bo but I'm going to do my dangdest to see that doesn't happen! You and Daisy should take it easier especially if she's going to not take anytime off from the Boar's Nest...... *holds up a hand knowing Jesse will tell him Boss won't let her off*....now I know how J.D. Hogg is but if I have to I'll go see him myself and tell him he's got to ease up on that girl till Bo's better and she can rest properly...... *chuckles*....as for B.L. that girl has the boundless energy of a jackrabbit.......but she's going to have to slow it down too or it won't last for long. Try not to worry so much about the others Jesse just concentrate on Bo and keeping yourself well I'll resort to drastic measures with the girls like I did Luke if they refuse to rest."

Jesse nodded and finished his coffee, like Amos taking another cup.

"I know them girls, they got sensible heads on them and I know Daisy'll rest...B.L. may need a little more persuading than the rest of them but she won't need to have what Luke got I don't rekon..."

He trailed off when he started to think about Luke, it was scary to him to see Luke like this because usually it was him keeping his head and keeping the family together in a time of crisis...but now he seemed almost as helpless as Bo.

"I have been thinkin' of admittin' Luke to hospital himself if Bo weren't so danged sick and got worse every time he's taken away...I don't know what ta do about him Amos....this ain't like him at all and I know he's scared of loosin' Bo....but that don't make it any eaisier to bear him bein' as he is...."

"I don't think we'll have any trouble out of B.L. either like you said they're both sensible girls but she's not anymore stubborn than Daisy" *chuckles*

Doc nods thoughtfully sipping his coffee he'd never seen Luke this way either and it was rather disturbing to see the usually calm and in control young man looking so lost and terrified but the worst was his volitile reactions when trying to get him to do what was best for his own health like sleep.

"Luke'll come around when Bo starts improvin I'm sure,he's just not thinkin straight right now. All he can think about it losin Bo if he doesn't keep an eye on him literally."

B.L. grabs her purse coming out from behind the bar heading for the door but stops waiting for Daisy

"Well let's go get them popsicles......and check on Bo"

Luke eyes snap open suddenly his heart beginning to race when it registers he'd fallen asleep and Bo was extremely still too still Luke thinks. Calms though as he realizes Bo is just resting and indeed still breathing it's just a more relaxed breathing like when he's sleeping and hardly noticible.

Jesse nodded and sighed, hoping that the doctor was right on both counts, that Luke would start to calm down now and also that Bo was indeed going to get better. He still had his doubts...

Daisy smiled and waved goodbye to a few of the customers and hoped into Dixie, letting B.L drive for once as she didn't feel up to it after the long day.

"Let's go..."

Bo shifted slightly in his sleep, frowning as the feeling in his muscles started to return and he gently reached up with his right hand to wipe it down his face before settling down again and giving a small gentle snore as he fell back into deep sleep.

Doc pats Jesse's arm consolingly still seeing worry in his friend's eyes wishing he could do more to relieve it.

B.L. frowns unnoticed by Daisy and shakes her head as she gets in the driver's seat of Dixie heading for the grocery store. Stopping at the store the two girls go in the store getting an assortment of soft foods Bo could eat easily.

"Ok let's get back to the farm....see if Uncle Jesse's heard anything from Doc"

Luke gently rubs the frown creases on Bo's forehead glad to see his muscles are working again. Lays still not wanting to disturb Bo as he seems to be resting better for the moment.

Jesse nodded gently at the Doc and put his cup in the sink, not really wanting to go back in with Bo knowing he'd never tear himself away again if he did.

Daisy leant her head back against the head rest and nodded gently.

"Yeah...Bo's probably up and about again by now. You know he hates being in bed."

The frown was gently erased from his features as Luke softly rubbed them, swallowing before coughing a little in sleep and rolling on his side to ease it, wincing slightly as the Iv pinched the back os his hand.

Amos puts his own cup in the sink sitting back down it seemed the boys were both resting there was no need to hurry back if Bo needed him Luke would certainly call he was certain and truth be told Jesse could use the break from the sick room.

B.L. grins as she drives toward the Duke farm

"If he ain't up he's sure as heck tryin despite everything Uncle Jesse and Luke are probably doing to keep him in bed."

Luke manages to ease himself into a sitting position without causing Bo to do more than shift a little at the disturbance. Taking Bo's hand in his own he notices a yellow color starting to show in the younger man's skin. Fearing what it could mean Luke swallows several times to rid his throat of the rising bile. Calling out

"D.....Doc can ya come here a minute"

Doc looks at Jesse when Luke calls

"Just sit tight Jesse I'll go see what's up"

Rising to his feet Doc makes his way to the boys room,Luke lifting Bo's hand asking

"What's makin his skin look this way?"

Stepping closer to the bed Doc examines Bo's hand carefully lifting one eye lid slightly to confirm his suspicion upon seeing the white of Bo's eye becoming yellow as well.

"Relax Luke it's just a little jaundice.....alot of babies have it as newborns but it's nothing to get worked up about."

Luke eyes him skeptically before finally nodding.

Bo groaned as Luke yelled and sleepily reached over with his hand that wasn't in Luke's grasp and swatted him, mumbling.

"Shut up Luke and go back to sleep...."

Daisy laughed and nodded.

"Yeah...I bet....never been able to keep Bo still fer more than 2 seconds at any time, sick or no...."

Jesse waited anxiously in the kitchen, trembling slightly as he heard the panic in Luke's voice.

Luke's eyes cross watching as Bo's unguided hand comes within inches of his nose.

"Sorry Bo......."

Doc returns to the kitchen after seeing that both boys was settled again. Seeing Jesse's panicked look he pats his shoulder before taking a seat once again.

"Relax Jesse Bo's not any worse than he was before he's actually sleeping peacefully. He's becoming jaundiced though which isn't a life threatening concern but would still do to watch."

Pulling Dixie into the yard B.L. bites her lip upon seeing the Doc's car she thought he'd still be open in town.

"Ain't Doc a little early?"

Bo mumbled sleepily again, something about Luke doing what he was told although it wasn't totally coherent because he was still asleep.

Jesse nodded, remembering how Bo had had that when he was a baby....

"Does the fact that he had that when he was a kid have anythin' ta do with it?"

Now he thought about it, Bo was in and out the hospital more times than Jesse cared to count when he was just a youngster, mainly for his asthma which led to other complications but it had faded when he had grown older.

Daisy swallowed and nodded..

"He...He wasn't due back until later this evening..."

Luke grinned as he caught some of what Bo said about doing what he was told. If either one of them could do that it would be a miracle in itself.

Folding his hands atop the table Doc shakes his head no

"No Jesse it's two different kinds of jaundice that occurs in a baby and an adult. In an adult it's usually caused by medication or a disease even liver failure.....*seeing the stricken look on Jesse's face at the mention of liver failure Doc reassures* Bo isn't suffering liver failure this is from the malaria itself most likely."

B.L. nods climbing from the jeep almost before she'd turned the engine off grabbing one of the bags from the store,quickly walking to the back door.

"That's what I thought.....c'mon"