Online Bait and Switch Scams

Friends... Beware when buying anything online! My Bluenox Skipper's hat in my Facebook profile picture, ordered from eBay seller Bluenox out of Sialkot Pakistan October 3 2020, shipped October 20 2020 and delivered October 26 2020, did not come with Gilligan's Island Alan Hale Jr.(Skipper) Twisted Knotted Intertwined Mouse Braid on it like advertised! The guy pulled the old bait and switch act on me, by showing me one thing, and delivering another completely different thing! The grand total of $78.29 and it still isn't what I wanted! Btw(by the way)this seller is a dead link now. His page no longer exists. I have learned my lesson. Can't believe everything I see! The moral of the story and the lesson learned is shop with extreme caution when buying items online, that you can't see and inspect in person first! Mom did at the time of purchase tell my brother her other son Donny a joke about it "They're gonna get my money and give Bobby something from out of a Comic Book!" Oh man, was she close! It's not something out of a Comic Book, but we did get scammed on the braid. The braid is a fictional product a style we did not pay for. We paid for the Twisted Knotted Intertwined Mouse Braid and he gave me Gorget style just a regular cap cord with a knot at each end. Like mom says "The Internet is a lie!" While not all of the whole entire Internet is a lie, some things and some people on it unfortunately are. On a happy note, at least the Skipper's hat came. I did receive the item. Albeit the wrong braid though. But it could've been a lot worse. Could've got our money, and sent nothing or sent a brick in a box. That actually happened. I heard a story about a man who bought something from eBay and received a brick in the box. I know a guy name Gary Scott Fine on Facebook who has had a similar experience with a seller by the name of World Wing. Gary requested Black buttons, but received Gold Brass buttons. When he confronted the seller World Wing, World Wing said "I forgot to put the Black buttons on, you can paint them!" And this was after he even confirmed Gary's order details back to Gary to ensure Gary was getting exactly what he wanted! There are many scams out there unfortunately. It can even happen here in the USA, but it's much more likely apt to happen dealing with overseas sellers. On a happy note, at least both Gary and I received our items, even if there was 1 wrong detail with them.

I know why his eBay page probably no longer exists. He probably did the same trick to many other buyers. One probably launched a complaint against him for false advertising/item misrepresentation/fraud etc etc. Probably got him shut down. Karma came back and got him for how he done me. Bluenox was a scammer. He got what he deserved. October 3, 2024 will be 4 years since the order. The 20 4 years it shipped. The 26 4 years since delivery. eBay only allows a window of 30 days for returns. It's unfortunately to late for me to do anything about it now. I know why they(the folks who are bait and switchers)do it. Because they know everyone wants the Gilligan's Island braid. If they show the straight regular plain Gorget style Cap Cord instead of the braided one, they know they risk to lose sales, especially among the folks like me series fans and of his Skipper character. They show the Skipper's braid as a sales tactic/marketing strategy to move the product. If they show the braid they intentionally plan on using, nobody who are (Gilligan's Island/Skipper) fans will not want to buy their product because it isn't quite screen accurate without that correct braided rope.

Posted (edited)

I'm done and thru with trying to get a perfect Skipper hat from companies because of my Bluenox experience. It seems now days, that everybody is out there to screw somebody over.  And I don't wanna gamble again take chances and go thru that again! People tell me in the Gilligan's Island groups on Facebook tell me about my Facebook post "You had me at Pakistan! That should've been your first clue."

Edited by Skipper Duke

Me and my Facebook friend Mary Lou Tringali about Bluenox.

Mary Lou Tringali:"Ok you should get what you bought."

Me:"Yeah with Benford Yacht Hat out of Inverness Florida is the same rope Bluenox used. But at least BYH doesn't advertise a rope style they aren't actually using. It's advertised as Gorget with a knot at either end and that is what a BYH customer receives. There's no unexpected surprises with BYH. But even if I could've afforded BYH, there's still the matter I'd have to change the braid myself either way."

Yep! It's time for me to just move on, and stop dwelling on the past, and just enjoy the Bluenox Skipper hat/Cap for what it is, a semi screen accurate replica not a full blown screen accurate replica. It's a different interpretation that's all. :)

At least he(Bluenox)got 2 features right on the Skipper's hat replica I ordered from him. The Mo-Hair Panel Rib lined frame and the Gold buttons are 2 of the key features. Alan Hale Jr.(Skipper's)features:

1. Mo-Hair Panel Rib lined frame

2. Gold buttons 

3. Cane Open Web Weave frame

4. Black buttons

5. Mouse Braid

Both frames and button colors were worn thru out the Gilligan's Island series.

There's been silver lining in the Bluenox experience after all? Even if he did bait and switch scam me on braid. All was not lost in the end. :) Mom is a skilled craftswoman in crochet, and with her help, I can turn it from the current 99.9% into a 100% screen accurate Skipper's hat replica, after she makes and installs the Mouse Braid on it. :)

When life gives you a regular Cap Cord Gorget Braid style Skipper's hat, turn it into a Mouse Braid Skipper's hat with a lil DIY. ;)

I don't know how to internet shop but my wife takes care of ordering it if I do get anything on there. Rosco's Mama had something to say about internet shopping when she was surprised that Rosco got his girlfriend out of a computer....actually, wasn't really the internet back then but it was a funny line. 

11 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

I don't know how to internet shop but my wife takes care of ordering it if I do get anything on there. Rosco's Mama had something to say about internet shopping when she was surprised that Rosco got his girlfriend out of a computer....actually, wasn't really the internet back then but it was a funny line. 

Roger Duke... "You mean got a girl out of a machine? Lordy, what won't they think of next?" Lol.

*Disappointing Experience with Bluenox - Bait and Switch*

I ordered the Alan Hale Jr. Mouse Braid Gilligan's Island Skipper's hat from Bluenox on eBay on October 3, 2020, but what I received was not what was advertised. Instead of the Mouse Braid, the hat came with a Gorget Braid, which is a completely different style.

The Gorget Braid is simply a cap cord with double ropes over each other and a single knot on each end, whereas the Mouse Braid is a twisted, knotted, and intertwined braid. I was really looking forward to receiving the correct hat, but Bluenox's bait and switch has left me feeling disappointed and frustrated.

Buyers beware! Make sure to double-check your orders before making a purchase from Bluenox.

I rate my experience 3/5 stars.

"Friends, beware of misunderstandings when buying online!

I ordered a Skipper's hat from eBay seller Bluenox in Sialkot, Pakistan on October 3, 2020. While the hat arrived, it didn't have the exact braid style I expected. Initially, I thought it was a bait-and-switch, but now I realize that the product image might have been used as an example, and the actual product had a variation.

I want to caution everyone to be careful when shopping online and to understand that mistakes can happen. It's important to communicate with sellers and consider multiple perspectives before jumping to conclusions.

On a happy note, I did receive the hat, and it's a great item! I've learned a valuable lesson and will be more mindful in the future.

Thanks for reading, and remember to shop online with caution and an open mind!"

It's fixed now y'all! After almost 4 years(It would be 4 this coming October), Mom has made yesterday and installed my correct Mouse Braid and provided me with my 100% screen accuracy of the original Gilligan's Island series 3 seasons 98 episodes 1964-1967, and the last 2 Reunion movies The Castaways On Gilligan's Island(1979) and The Harlem Globetrotters On Gilligan's Island(1981). :)

Hey y'all... Remember what happened to me? My seller did the bait and switch. I received Gorget Braiding instead of the Mouse Braiding that was advertised Well, I've been thinking, all the Gorget Braiding hats I see on eBay, could the exact opposite happen to someone else? They order expecting to get Gorget Braid, and their seller could put Mouse Braid on instead?

I decided to word this a little better.

"I've learned from experience that people often make false claims when selling things, but in this case, it didn't matter because my mom stepped in and fixed the issue! The seller made a mistake, but mom turned it into a positive outcome and I finally got the braided Skipper's hat I wanted" and to add more to it.

Other sellers who advertise the Mouse Braid, their customers receive it. So that's clear evidence that my seller Bluenox pulled bait and switch on me.