Box office results

If any thing you should blame the director. I think the actors did a good job portraying the charactors the way director wanted them to.

I still would have liked to see Danny Devito as Hogg. I think Tom Welling and Paul Walker would have portrayed Bo and Luke more like the origanls. I know Gretchen Willson was a much more popular choice than Jessica simpson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, most critics wrote that the acting was bad. And it was. Even Yahoo critics(everyday people) thought so. Oh well. You liked the acting I hated it. Such is the way of life.

The word of mouth could kill this movie quicker than you ever did see. Yeah there are people who liked it...but how many of those are there? Professional critics hate it, those on yahoo dont like it and the rotten tomatoes ranking is really really bad.

Does anyone know what is coming out next weekend? Anything big?

Who really cares what the "professional" critics thought? I sure as hell don't. ....

It seems most Dukes fans enjoyed the movie except the ones who wanted to be like the original series. There are other Dukes sites and forums that show that most loved the movie. I never wanted it to be a carbon copy of the show. I loved that it was "rough" and "colorful" and "fun". The new take on the Dukes was pure enjoyment .

Even Ben Jones (Cooter) was wrong about it.

As as Jessica Simpson , she was way better than I would have thought. She wasn't my first or anywhere near my choices.

But that is just my opinion....

Well, most critics wrote that the acting was bad. And it was. Even Yahoo critics(everyday people) thought so. Oh well. You liked the acting I hated it. Such is the way of life.

The word of mouth could kill this movie quicker than you ever did see. Yeah there are people who liked it...but how many of those are there? Professional critics hate it, those on yahoo dont like it and the rotten tomatoes ranking is really really bad.

Does anyone know what is coming out next weekend? Anything big?

Who really cares what the "professional" critics thought? I sure as hell don't. ....

It seems most Dukes fans enjoyed the movie except the ones who wanted to be like the original series. There are other Dukes sites and forums that show that most loved the movie. I never wanted it to be a carbon copy of the show. I loved that it was "rough" and "colorful" and "fun". The new take on the Dukes was pure enjoyment .

Even Ben Jones (Cooter) was wrong about it.

As as Jessica Simpson , she was way better than I would have thought. She wasn't my first or anywhere near my choices.

But that is just my opinion....

Ok all this talk about box office results is driving me nut. Ok so what they did 35 million in a couple of days, that nothing now a days, and to top it off nothing came out this past weekend it give it any competition. If you are a movie buff then you have already seen everything else that is playing so that only leaves the Dukes to see. So if you really think about it, only bring in 35 million is low seeing as they had nothing to go up against.

Ok all this talk about box office results is driving me nut. Ok so what they did 35 million in a couple of days, that nothing now a days, and to top it off nothing came out this past weekend it give it any competition. If you are a movie buff then you have already seen everything else that is playing so that only leaves the Dukes to see. So if you really think about it, only bring in 35 million is low seeing as they had nothing to go up against.

Ok for one thing 35 million is pretty damn good for a 3 day weekend total and considering that Warner Bros. execs were expecting somewhere around 20 to 25 million I'd say it was a dang good weekend. Not to mention the market has been depressed all year so 35 million this summer probably would've been 40 million or more next year. The biggest thing the Dukes has going for it is that the show has a huge overseas following and will surly do very well in other countries. All that plus it only cost 50 million to make boad very well for the possibility of a sequel.

Ok for one thing 35 million is pretty damn good for a 3 day weekend total and considering that Warner Bros. execs were expecting somewhere around 20 to 25 million I'd say it was a dang good weekend. Not to mention the market has been depressed all year so 35 million this summer probably would've been 40 million or more next year. The biggest thing the Dukes has going for it is that the show has a huge overseas following and will surly do very well in other countries. All that plus it only cost 50 million to make boad very well for the possibility of a sequel.

The boxoffice total is very good, you see this is not mid summer so you don't have blockbuster openings anyway for most films, in fact dukes is the 11th best opening weekend for this month all time, not bad at all in a slump year.

Also a lot of people are ruined by huge openings like spider-man and such, they expect to break records every week, I mean take the whoel year, this could turn out to be in the top 5 maybe top 3 highest grossing years ever, but because it didn't break the record set last year they panic, well proforming solidly is good enough.

The budget for dukes is $50 million and they have pretty much assured that will be hit, and i have heard some say $85-$100 million is not out of the question, that's just domestic, and then you have overseas and of course dvd sales, i see this movie being a big dvd movie, i know i'll be buying it.

also it's legs have started to form, the drop sunday was by most experts was a lot bigger, everyone said the movie would not make $30 for the weekend and the studio was overestimating to make it look better..yet they were wrong and the drop they expected never happen, then on monday we had another very good drop.

I see for the moment nothing but good news for the Dukes and their fans..oh and the critics? well they never liked the original either, it was not a critics darling in it's time, heck Ebert in his review said he never saw the original show and as time goes by is happy about it.

The boxoffice total is very good, you see this is not mid summer so you don't have blockbuster openings anyway for most films, in fact dukes is the 11th best opening weekend for this month all time, not bad at all in a slump year.

Also a lot of people are ruined by huge openings like spider-man and such, they expect to break records every week, I mean take the whoel year, this could turn out to be in the top 5 maybe top 3 highest grossing years ever, but because it didn't break the record set last year they panic, well proforming solidly is good enough.

The budget for dukes is $50 million and they have pretty much assured that will be hit, and i have heard some say $85-$100 million is not out of the question, that's just domestic, and then you have overseas and of course dvd sales, i see this movie being a big dvd movie, i know i'll be buying it.

also it's legs have started to form, the drop sunday was by most experts was a lot bigger, everyone said the movie would not make $30 for the weekend and the studio was overestimating to make it look better..yet they were wrong and the drop they expected never happen, then on monday we had another very good drop.

I see for the moment nothing but good news for the Dukes and their fans..oh and the critics? well they never liked the original either, it was not a critics darling in it's time, heck Ebert in his review said he never saw the original show and as time goes by is happy about it.

Oh and remember a movies budget vs it's gross is the key to a flop or hit not just total gross, Take the penguin documentary that's out and see how crazy hollywood is going over it, the movie most likely had a budget of less then $200,000 but look at that return on their investment.

So if Dukes makes around double it's budget everything together (and it stands with dvds, overseas and of course merch liek cds, shirts and ect to make more than that), i think any studio would be happy to have $50 million more in their pocket than they started.

And this can be the start of a logn series, you figure why not make another and get a nice return again, you got the fanbase from the first, plus movies tend topick up peopel on dvd, look at Austin Powers, Worldwide the first made $67,683,989 but created such a fanbase that it's sequel did Worldwide $310,940,086.

Now i'm not saying Dukes can do that, it's not real common for that kind of jump, but it shows what is possible, and why Dukes future could be bright indeed, We just need to look at hwo things unfold over time now, but there is no need for the doom and gloom.

Oh and remember a movies budget vs it's gross is the key to a flop or hit not just total gross, Take the penguin documentary that's out and see how crazy hollywood is going over it, the movie most likely had a budget of less then $200,000 but look at that return on their investment.

So if Dukes makes around double it's budget everything together (and it stands with dvds, overseas and of course merch liek cds, shirts and ect to make more than that), i think any studio would be happy to have $50 million more in their pocket than they started.

And this can be the start of a logn series, you figure why not make another and get a nice return again, you got the fanbase from the first, plus movies tend topick up peopel on dvd, look at Austin Powers, Worldwide the first made $67,683,989 but created such a fanbase that it's sequel did Worldwide $310,940,086.

Now i'm not saying Dukes can do that, it's not real common for that kind of jump, but it shows what is possible, and why Dukes future could be bright indeed, We just need to look at hwo things unfold over time now, but there is no need for the doom and gloom.

We know how much it cost but is advertisting factored into that? Cause that may change things a tad.

I wonder if the movie will drop quickly now and if so to which spot.

And I dont care about professional critics, but they and everyday people are giving it crappy ratings. It has a C- Raiting by professionals from across the contury acording to Yahoo. and a C+ by everyday people.

I think it will make decent sales on DVD, so you'll prob see it come out around X-mas or so. But myquestion is I wonder how it will do this weekend? Will it fall to 4th, 5th, or lower? And what is coming out this weekend?

We know how much it cost but is advertisting factored into that? Cause that may change things a tad.

I wonder if the movie will drop quickly now and if so to which spot.

And I dont care about professional critics, but they and everyday people are giving it crappy ratings. It has a C- Raiting by professionals from across the contury acording to Yahoo. and a C+ by everyday people.

I think it will make decent sales on DVD, so you'll prob see it come out around X-mas or so. But myquestion is I wonder how it will do this weekend? Will it fall to 4th, 5th, or lower? And what is coming out this weekend?

Marketing is not factored into that number but I have not seen it reported how much that number is, I'm guessing around $25 at most, most big budgets have around $50 and a few like batman have $100 (where all that money went I have no idea, i have seen better marketing from small budget films).

My prediction for the upcoming weekend is

1. The Dukes Of Hazzard- 15.3 mil.

2. Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo - 14.8 mil. <--New

3. Four Brothers- 14.6 mil. <--New

4. Skeleton Key- 14.5 mil. <--new

5. Wedding Crashers- 11.9 mil

6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- 7.7 mil.

7. Sky High- 6.2 mil.

8. March Of the Penguins- 5.9 mil.

9. The Great Raid- 5.6 mil.

10. Must Love Dogs- 4.6 mil.

As you can see we have 3 new films but none that are very strong, Deuce might be one to take the top spot, but it depends on just how good a fanbase he has, and honstly I don't know if I have seen a single ad for any of those movies, i know there are, but it does not seem any any have the marketing behind them Dukes has, so that should help Dukes.

Marketing is not factored into that number but I have not seen it reported how much that number is, I'm guessing around $25 at most, most big budgets have around $50 and a few like batman have $100 (where all that money went I have no idea, i have seen better marketing from small budget films).

My prediction for the upcoming weekend is

1. The Dukes Of Hazzard- 15.3 mil.

2. Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo - 14.8 mil. <--New

3. Four Brothers- 14.6 mil. <--New

4. Skeleton Key- 14.5 mil. <--new

5. Wedding Crashers- 11.9 mil

6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- 7.7 mil.

7. Sky High- 6.2 mil.

8. March Of the Penguins- 5.9 mil.

9. The Great Raid- 5.6 mil.

10. Must Love Dogs- 4.6 mil.

As you can see we have 3 new films but none that are very strong, Deuce might be one to take the top spot, but it depends on just how good a fanbase he has, and honstly I don't know if I have seen a single ad for any of those movies, i know there are, but it does not seem any any have the marketing behind them Dukes has, so that should help Dukes.

I don't get how some of these web sites are saying that movie goers thought it was just ok. Everyone I know that's seen it loved it and they're not die hard Dukes fans either. I'm talking about quite a few people too. I think it just a bunch of tofu farting, big city urbanites who haven't even seen the movie trying to mess with people's reactions. Atleast that's what I think about Yahoo's reviews anyways.

I don't get how some of these web sites are saying that movie goers thought it was just ok. Everyone I know that's seen it loved it and they're not die hard Dukes fans either. I'm talking about quite a few people too. I think it just a bunch of tofu farting, big city urbanites who haven't even seen the movie trying to mess with people's reactions. Atleast that's what I think about Yahoo's reviews anyways.

I think Skeleton key will do better than most new movies.

What is 4 brothers about? Isnt it an action film...or something.

Not mine, but this is the funniest review I have read to date! :lol::lol:

Executive #1: We need to find something to get us back on top.

Executive #2: But no one can come up with ideas that will appeal to teenage boys. All of our scripts are highfalutin' things, like the one Clint is directing. What's it called? Million Dollar Man? Wasn't that a Universal TV series?

Executive #1: No, Clint's movie is Million Dollar Baby, and has nothing to do with the TV series. More's the pity. Clint's made a lot of money for us, so we had to let him do it, even though it will sink like a rock. Have you read the script? What a downer. No one's going to see it. But I think you've got something there. Let's do another re-make.

Executive #2: How about a French film? We can change the ending to make it happy.

Executive #1: Nah. Even with the better ending, too arty. Remember: we want teenage boys. We need car crashes, chases, girls in bikinis, that sort of stuff…

Executive #2: What about a '70s TV show? Then we can get some of the dads too, since there will be the nostalgia thing.

Executive #1: Right, right. Make it cheap and it's sure to bring in the bucks. What shows haven't been remade? I think most of them have already been done.

Executive #2: CHiPs. Emergency! Marcus Welby M.D. The Dukes of Hazzard.

Executive #1: CHiPs is perfect, but it's not ours. Neither is Emergency! And how the hell are you going to get car crashes into Marcus Welby? The Dukes of Hazzard is a piece of s***, but that means box office appeal. People love bad TV shows turned into movies.

Executive #2: I have an idea - how about making a movie so excruciatingly unbearable that it will make the TV series look good. That way, when we come out with the Dukes DVDs, people will be clamoring for them.

Executive #1: Brilliant! But we still need to pack enough people into the movie for it to make back its cost on opening weekend, before word gets out. By the Monday after its release, it will smell worse than three-day old fish.

Executive #2: We can hire a screenwriter, although we don't really need a script. Just have him throw something together about a car race and the bad guy, Boss Hogg, buying up land so he can strip-mine it. The Dukes are in the way, so he puts together a nefarious plot to get them out of the way. Then throw in all The Dukes of Hazzard elements. Avoid top-notch talent behind the camera. Hire a virtually unknown director and don't worry about competent editing. No one's going to care if there are continuity problems in the car chases or if nothing makes sense. In fact, why bother? Cut corners everywhere.

Executive #1: Speaking of talent, who do we get to star? The originals are alive, but they're too old. Maybe they could make cameos…

Executive #2: Foggedaboutit. No one will know who they are. Get two B-list guys whose salaries won't break the bank. Johnny Knoxville as Luke Duke (the one with black hair) and Seann William Scott as Bo (the blonde). Ray Ray and Stifler. Neither can act, so they won't upstage the car. And, let's face it - the General Lee makes the movie. Without the car, you don't have anything. During the TV series, half the fan mail was for that car.

Executive #1: What about the girl? The one in the hot pants.

Executive #2: Britney Spears?

Executive #1: No, she's passé. She couldn't open a movie if it came with a zipper. Maybe if we had made this a couple of years ago. When this movie hits theaters, she'll probably be barefoot and pregnant. How about the "Chicken of the Sea" girl? What's her name?

Executive #2: Jessica Simpson.

Executive #1: No, not the chick from the cartoon. The one from the reality show.

Executive #2: Yeah, Jessica Simpson. She can't act. She looks like a life-size Barbie, with an expression to match. Plastic. Like one of those expensive blow-up dolls.

Executive #1: Put her in a bikini and no male under 17 will care whether she can act. Who cares if it doesn't make sense why she's in a bikini. Just get her to undress in every scene. What about the rest of the cast? How about Willie Nelson as the whacked out uncle Jesse. Nelson's long hair and stoned look will be a perfect fit. Just as long as he doesn't sing "On the Road Again."

Executive #2: And Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg? A throwback to the Smokey and the Bandit days?

Executive #1: Reynolds? Isn't he dead?

Executive #2: Not officially, although his recent films have included a co-starring role opposite a bear and a re-make with Adam Sandler. He probably needs money, so we might be able to get him cheap. If not, we can always try Danny DeVito. He's the right shape.

Executive #1: Reynolds looks better in a white tux. Besides, we've already seen DeVito in a penguin suit!

(Mutual fake laughter.)

Executive #1: Who was the guy who did the title song and the voiceovers? Some old time singer. Engelbert Humperdinck?

Executive #2: Waylon Jennings.

Executive #1: Yeah, that's right. See if he's available. Get him if he's not dead. And if he is dead, get someone who sounds like him. I want that voiceover to be authentic. That's what we're aiming for - authenticity! Realism! Car chases with jumps that make the bus acrobatics in Speed look believable!

Executive #2: When do we release it?

Executive #1: August, of course. We don't want it going against anything that could be construed as a quality film. Jettison it amidst all the other garbage, and people will see it because they recognize the name. The only other choice is February, but action films don't do well at that time of the year. Too many people in the north freezing their asses off. Stupid idiots should all move to L.A.

Executive #2: I think we've got a winner. A dumb script. A director with few credits. A B-list cast. A cheap editor. A really bad movie with enough action scenes to make a trailer that will get kids to the theater during its first weekend, then sell DVDs of the series.

Executive #1: That's the ticket! With luck, this will garner tons of nominations!

Executive #2: Oscars?

Executive #1: No, you moron! Razzies!

© 2005 James Berardinelli

I think Skeleton key will do better than most new movies.

What is 4 brothers about? Isnt it an action film...or something.

Not mine, but this is the funniest review I have read to date! :lol::lol:

Executive #1: We need to find something to get us back on top.

Executive #2: But no one can come up with ideas that will appeal to teenage boys. All of our scripts are highfalutin' things, like the one Clint is directing. What's it called? Million Dollar Man? Wasn't that a Universal TV series?

Executive #1: No, Clint's movie is Million Dollar Baby, and has nothing to do with the TV series. More's the pity. Clint's made a lot of money for us, so we had to let him do it, even though it will sink like a rock. Have you read the script? What a downer. No one's going to see it. But I think you've got something there. Let's do another re-make.

Executive #2: How about a French film? We can change the ending to make it happy.

Executive #1: Nah. Even with the better ending, too arty. Remember: we want teenage boys. We need car crashes, chases, girls in bikinis, that sort of stuff…

Executive #2: What about a '70s TV show? Then we can get some of the dads too, since there will be the nostalgia thing.

Executive #1: Right, right. Make it cheap and it's sure to bring in the bucks. What shows haven't been remade? I think most of them have already been done.

Executive #2: CHiPs. Emergency! Marcus Welby M.D. The Dukes of Hazzard.

Executive #1: CHiPs is perfect, but it's not ours. Neither is Emergency! And how the hell are you going to get car crashes into Marcus Welby? The Dukes of Hazzard is a piece of s***, but that means box office appeal. People love bad TV shows turned into movies.

Executive #2: I have an idea - how about making a movie so excruciatingly unbearable that it will make the TV series look good. That way, when we come out with the Dukes DVDs, people will be clamoring for them.

Executive #1: Brilliant! But we still need to pack enough people into the movie for it to make back its cost on opening weekend, before word gets out. By the Monday after its release, it will smell worse than three-day old fish.

Executive #2: We can hire a screenwriter, although we don't really need a script. Just have him throw something together about a car race and the bad guy, Boss Hogg, buying up land so he can strip-mine it. The Dukes are in the way, so he puts together a nefarious plot to get them out of the way. Then throw in all The Dukes of Hazzard elements. Avoid top-notch talent behind the camera. Hire a virtually unknown director and don't worry about competent editing. No one's going to care if there are continuity problems in the car chases or if nothing makes sense. In fact, why bother? Cut corners everywhere.

Executive #1: Speaking of talent, who do we get to star? The originals are alive, but they're too old. Maybe they could make cameos…

Executive #2: Foggedaboutit. No one will know who they are. Get two B-list guys whose salaries won't break the bank. Johnny Knoxville as Luke Duke (the one with black hair) and Seann William Scott as Bo (the blonde). Ray Ray and Stifler. Neither can act, so they won't upstage the car. And, let's face it - the General Lee makes the movie. Without the car, you don't have anything. During the TV series, half the fan mail was for that car.

Executive #1: What about the girl? The one in the hot pants.

Executive #2: Britney Spears?

Executive #1: No, she's passé. She couldn't open a movie if it came with a zipper. Maybe if we had made this a couple of years ago. When this movie hits theaters, she'll probably be barefoot and pregnant. How about the "Chicken of the Sea" girl? What's her name?

Executive #2: Jessica Simpson.

Executive #1: No, not the chick from the cartoon. The one from the reality show.

Executive #2: Yeah, Jessica Simpson. She can't act. She looks like a life-size Barbie, with an expression to match. Plastic. Like one of those expensive blow-up dolls.

Executive #1: Put her in a bikini and no male under 17 will care whether she can act. Who cares if it doesn't make sense why she's in a bikini. Just get her to undress in every scene. What about the rest of the cast? How about Willie Nelson as the whacked out uncle Jesse. Nelson's long hair and stoned look will be a perfect fit. Just as long as he doesn't sing "On the Road Again."

Executive #2: And Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg? A throwback to the Smokey and the Bandit days?

Executive #1: Reynolds? Isn't he dead?

Executive #2: Not officially, although his recent films have included a co-starring role opposite a bear and a re-make with Adam Sandler. He probably needs money, so we might be able to get him cheap. If not, we can always try Danny DeVito. He's the right shape.

Executive #1: Reynolds looks better in a white tux. Besides, we've already seen DeVito in a penguin suit!

(Mutual fake laughter.)

Executive #1: Who was the guy who did the title song and the voiceovers? Some old time singer. Engelbert Humperdinck?

Executive #2: Waylon Jennings.

Executive #1: Yeah, that's right. See if he's available. Get him if he's not dead. And if he is dead, get someone who sounds like him. I want that voiceover to be authentic. That's what we're aiming for - authenticity! Realism! Car chases with jumps that make the bus acrobatics in Speed look believable!

Executive #2: When do we release it?

Executive #1: August, of course. We don't want it going against anything that could be construed as a quality film. Jettison it amidst all the other garbage, and people will see it because they recognize the name. The only other choice is February, but action films don't do well at that time of the year. Too many people in the north freezing their asses off. Stupid idiots should all move to L.A.

Executive #2: I think we've got a winner. A dumb script. A director with few credits. A B-list cast. A cheap editor. A really bad movie with enough action scenes to make a trailer that will get kids to the theater during its first weekend, then sell DVDs of the series.

Executive #1: That's the ticket! With luck, this will garner tons of nominations!

Executive #2: Oscars?

Executive #1: No, you moron! Razzies!

© 2005 James Berardinelli

I second that big time, travelerF150

All you have to do is go some other Dukes sites and boards and the overwhelming majority loved it. The public must not care that much about the so-called negative reviews either as it is making A LOT OF MONEY.

Are you going by what the critics say or what YOU think about it? Why are you so hung up on the Yahoo and critics reviews? Look at most of the reviews on HERE , the best DOH site on the 'net. Most people liked it.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dukesofhazzard.htm

Tues - 8/9 - $3,659,262

Total - $38,502,975

I second that big time, travelerF150

All you have to do is go some other Dukes sites and boards and the overwhelming majority loved it. The public must not care that much about the so-called negative reviews either as it is making A LOT OF MONEY.

Are you going by what the critics say or what YOU think about it? Why are you so hung up on the Yahoo and critics reviews? Look at most of the reviews on HERE , the best DOH site on the 'net. Most people liked it.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dukesofhazzard.htm

Tues - 8/9 - $3,659,262

Total - $38,502,975

I never trust places like IMDB.com or yahoo, i know how the internet can be, i mean the movie boards i go find a new "worst movie of all time" every single week, no middle ground, it either sucks or is amazing it seems.

Also i noticed something about reviews I have seen on many message boards(Not this one BTW, very nice board and users you have here and after reading for a while i had to sign up!) that people don't even know why they hate it, on the movie boards I go to a lot like gamefaqs.com movie board, the topics are "it's suck" and that's it, when I ask whats wrong i get nothing, they ignroe me, no one wants to debate it..well one guy did say he hates rednecks so he hates the movie by default, and in a "rate this movie topic" I have seen many people say "I have not seen the movie yet but 1/10 is my score", it's insane.

So stuff like that makes me wonder what the internet does to many people, I mean movies like star wars episode 1 is hated by the internet, nothing but jokes about it, hate all over..yet it made a ton of cash so...

I never trust places like IMDB.com or yahoo, i know how the internet can be, i mean the movie boards i go find a new "worst movie of all time" every single week, no middle ground, it either sucks or is amazing it seems.

Also i noticed something about reviews I have seen on many message boards(Not this one BTW, very nice board and users you have here and after reading for a while i had to sign up!) that people don't even know why they hate it, on the movie boards I go to a lot like gamefaqs.com movie board, the topics are "it's suck" and that's it, when I ask whats wrong i get nothing, they ignroe me, no one wants to debate it..well one guy did say he hates rednecks so he hates the movie by default, and in a "rate this movie topic" I have seen many people say "I have not seen the movie yet but 1/10 is my score", it's insane.

So stuff like that makes me wonder what the internet does to many people, I mean movies like star wars episode 1 is hated by the internet, nothing but jokes about it, hate all over..yet it made a ton of cash so...