My heroes

RogerDuke

• 1 year later...

Hey, Roger, I caught some commentary from an English soccer match on my car radio earlier today. I don't follow soccer (other than checking the scores), so I was surprised to hear that Charlie Daniels was playing. Seeing as it was on the radio, my mind just imagined the veteran country singer chasing the ball around the pitch. I've now googled him, and it turns out he's a 32-year-old defender who plays for AFC Bournemouth. Still, it was a fun image while it lasted.

It just occurred to me that if he ever got red carded (sent
off), the newspapers could use the headline "Charlie Daniels Banned" ;) .

I used to watch the old cartoon Camp Candy with my daughter when she was little. I think I still have an episode or 2 on VHS. If you're a John Candy fan I bet you know it. The best known song from the Charlie Daniels Band (or Banned if he gets kicked out) is The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Although that would barely make my top ten from the CDB. What this World Needs is a Few more Rednecks AND Simple Man are my two favorites. Hoss, I still have that picture that you made for me hanging in my office at work of Charlie and Uncle Jesse together. (thanks to your creative editing)

9 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

No, I've never heard of that. But since I'm in the Netherlands, a lot of Cartoons from from the USA from that era never made it to over here. I've seen a load of movies with him in it, but I have never seen some of his most famous work.

I bet you could find it on the internet if you want to see what he looks like as a cartoon character. I'm pretty sure they used his real voice too....just like they used the real Dukes voices in their cartoon. 

I didn't look for full episodes, but there are plenty of clips of Camp Candy on YouTube. Here's part of the first episode:

John's daughter, Jennifer, also voiced a character in some episodes. I'm guessing that it was a child as she'd only have been around 10-12 at the time.

BTW. I've never heard of the show either. I'm not sure if it was ever shown in the UK.