aunt lavinia

Jamanda

We were wondering who aunt lavinia was. We always thought she was Uncle Jesse's wife who had passed away, but then we saw an episode where he tells Bo and Luke to go stay with her and they mention that he hadn't spoke to her in 20 years. Would she be a sister then? Doesn't Daisy wear her wedding dress when she almost marries Enos? We're so counfused.

• 4 weeks later...

In which early episode is that?

The same sort of thing happened on MASH, when Col. Blakes wife went from being named Mildred to Lorraine and Col. Potter's wife was named Mildred. Our mom (a huge MASH fanatic) thinks that they wanted to have Mildred for Col. Potter's wife, so they changed the name for Col. Blake's.

Ironically enough, Col. Potter's horse on MASH went from being a "he" to a mare named Sophie, kind of like Flash did when Rosco first got "her".

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

You're right Bo, that is from "Farewell Hazzard." It is the next to last episode in season 5. I suppose that it's possible that Jesse was married twice. One thing that I like about these controversies...each person can draw their own conclusion and nobody's officially wrong. My (fantasy) belief is that her name was Martha Lavinia Duke and Uncle Jesse occasionally called her by her middle name. I'm gone.

• 4 weeks later...

I found out who Martha Duke was! If you look at the episode Treasure of Hazzard, on September the 9th 1762 she gave birth to Joshua Duke - She was one of the first dukes to settle in Hazzard.

So from that, this is what I think....the writers have got themselves very very confused is the obvious point, but that is where a Martha Duke is first mentioned. I recon Martha overall was Jessie's sister and Lavinia is his wife because Lavinia has more poignent moments in the Duke family mentioned, like her death. I've always believed it was Lavinia.

Hmmm, now I need to go back to the episode "The Legacy" and listen a little closer. You may be on to something Bo. When Jesse said Martha died there, I don't think he said "my wife Martha" so maybe he meant his sister. I only have 5 more episodes left and will have watched the whole series (again) (I started in January). I'm going to then start working on my map and start rewatching from season one again. This time I am going to write down every relative of every character. I hope to have a database (redneck translation: lots of notebooks) that will rival MinDuke's.