The Adventures of Hazzard County

Well several years ago in high school when I took a writing class, they had us do these writing exercises...one that I liked was where someone started the story with a sentence or a paragraph before passing it on to someone else to add onto it with their own paragraph or a sentence. So there is no theme or plot to plan ahead or to really think about, but just to write. So where one person takes it one way the other person can take the story/exercise to a different direction...if that makes sense? I had thought about starting this a long time ago, but chickened out not knowing how well it would go online, but with how quiet it has been around this forum, I thought I would try it out.

I will get it started with the opening paragraph and if anyone wants to add on, feel free. But please keep it clean and fun...keep it G or PG rated...Thanks. :)

***********************************************************************************************************

Staring down at the black and white photo that takes up most of the front page of the newspaper a wave of excitement hits Bo Duke as he reads and re-reads the big bold letters that read: HAZZARD COUNTY ANNUAL RACE! WINNER TAKE ALL! Not that he didn't know that the race was coming up as the race was held on the first weekend of every June, but seeing it in the paper makes it a reality. The race was coming up. Not only that he already knew who he would take to the big dance that is held afterwards. Looking up from the paper and out through the open window at the bright sunny day a smile spreads broadly across his face with the strong conviction that life was good and all was as it should be. For now at least.

A few hours later Jesse walked in the farmhouse after returning from cutting firewood on the back 40. He noticed the Hazzard Gazzette laying on the dining room table and grabbed an ice tea and sat down.

"Hmm" he muttered quietly to himself, "the big race is coming up. That means the boys will be arguing over engine tuning, tire pressure, carbeurator adjustments and oil additives."

He then smiled. "Yep, it's an annual tradition around here."

Jesse stood up several minutes later, "Now I wonder where those boys are."

After several minutes of impatiently looking for Luke, Bo finally finds him in the barn. "Hey there ya are, Luke," Bo states with a casual grin and Luke slowly turns around to face his younger cousin, "you see today's paper?"

Luke slowly nods. "Of course I did," Luke states, "and before you go and throw your sales pitch at me, may I remind you who drove last year? Or remind you what you promised last year?"

Bo's look of enthusiasm is quick to drain from him and he slowly looks away from Luke while nodding. "I guess I did," Bo slowly states as he forces himself to look up, "but you also said you'd rather be the mechanic. Not the driver."

Luke gives Bo a small smile. "Look we still have some time to worry about that. First off we got to worry on whether or not we got the money to pay the entry fee," Luke responds as he gives Bo a pat on the shoulder. "Look we should start to work on that fence before Jesse comes out here and accuses us of slacking."

After drinking his iced tea Jesse moved into the living room. He sat in his recliner and starting reading the farm report in the middle of the local/regional section of the newspaper. Before he knew it he was sleeping. Five hours of cutting firewood had finally gotten to his old muscles and bones. Moments later he was dreaming of running from revenuers in his old Ford that he had named Black Tillie.