A LITTLE HONESTY AND SOME OPINIONS

renoman

Ok guys, I have been reading a lot of posts about the new movie. People are upset about the cast and compare them to the TV show actors. First things first, I love the show as much as anyone but lets be truthful. Some of the actors were bad...very bad. John Scheinder and Catherine Bach are probably two of the worst actors ever. Bach looked good but, not that great. Even if Jessica Simpson can't act she can't be as bad as Bach. Lets face it, she looks way better than Bach did in the show. The same goes for Sean William Scott and Johnny Knoxville. A mean we are not talking about Macbeth here. I will have to say that Uncle Jesse, Roscoe and Boss Hogg were fantastic actors. Especially Boss Hogg. I think the biggest flaw in this movie would be Boss Hogg played by Burt Reynolds. This to me is the worst part about the movie. Boss Hogg is a charactor like the General Lee it can not be changed. Boss Hogg has to be a fat guy...hince the name Hogg. Hellooo????!!! Danny Devito would have been perfect. I can deal with Nelson, Scott, Simpson, Gainey, and Knoxville. Its ok that the update the movie to todays audience, if they didn't it wouldn't make money. The studio has to see dollar signs before they even begin to put it into production. Sad truth. But heres the thing, we argue about the actors, theme songs, cars or whatever but, they are making a Dukes movie!! We will all go to see it and we will all love to see the General Lee fly on the big screen. And the General is the star of this movie and the show. It will bring millions of new fans to the show. Maybe it will even start a new show!? Plus if the movie does good more seasons will be put on DVD. So lets enjoy it even with all of our disagreements on what they are doing. At least we can say we were Dukes fans before the movie came out. I say...THANK GOD THEY ARE MAKING IT even with the flaws!!

there are no flaws, if they put a fat guy in as boss hogg, people will complain and sue because they find it offensive to fat people. burt reynolds fits the character better than his tv counterpart.

everybody just shut the hell up about wishing things were like the tv, it's not, they director is not going for a direct rip of the tv show, no one wants to see old, wrinkled actors from the tv show.

get over it, if you pine over the old days, then why aren't you shooting this movie they way you want ti with your cast?

Ok guys, I have been reading a lot of posts about the new movie. People are upset about the cast and compare them to the TV show actors. First things first, I love the show as much as anyone but lets be truthful. Some of the actors were bad...very bad. John Scheinder and Catherine Bach are probably two of the worst actors ever. Bach looked good but, not that great. Even if Jessica Simpson can't act she can't be as bad as Bach. Lets face it, she looks way better than Bach did in the show. The same goes for Sean William Scott and Johnny Knoxville. A mean we are not talking about Macbeth here. I will have to say that Uncle Jesse, Roscoe and Boss Hogg were fantastic actors. Especially Boss Hogg. I think the biggest flaw in this movie would be Boss Hogg played by Burt Reynolds. This to me is the worst part about the movie. Boss Hogg is a charactor like the General Lee it can not be changed. Boss Hogg has to be a fat guy...hince the name Hogg. Hellooo????!!! Danny Devito would have been perfect. I can deal with Nelson, Scott, Simpson, Gainey, and Knoxville. Its ok that the update the movie to todays audience, if they didn't it wouldn't make money. The studio has to see dollar signs before they even begin to put it into production. Sad truth. But heres the thing, we argue about the actors, theme songs, cars or whatever but, they are making a Dukes movie!! We will all go to see it and we will all love to see the General Lee fly on the big screen. And the General is the star of this movie and the show. It will bring millions of new fans to the show. Maybe it will even start a new show!? Plus if the movie does good more seasons will be put on DVD. So lets enjoy it even with all of our disagreements on what they are doing. At least we can say we were Dukes fans before the movie came out. I say...THANK GOD THEY ARE MAKING IT even with the flaws!!

I agree, I have seen a lot of posts about putting the old actors in the movie. It is best to leave them out. I think you are some what right about Burt. But, if they are going to copy Boss's suit and his car, than his looks should be similar as well. If wasn't going to be fat then they should have changed his looks (outfit) all together. Plus I like Burt in Smokey and THe Bandit but, he is a has been. But, like I said it doesn't really matter. They are making a Dukes movie!! Hooray!!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I wouldn't have thought of Burt for the role of Boss Hogg. Jimmie and Burt are good friends and I'm sure Burt will want to do justice to the character. However, I do think that it just won't be the same. Boss Hogg, as a character, stands for greed and gluttony. And well, there aren't many gluttons that aren't a bit chubby. LOL. I, for one, think the character is a lot safer in Burt's hands than some of the other choices they could've made. I don't know if I can say that for the rest of the cast, but I'll reserve judgment til I see the movie.

Meadowmufn

HazzardNet Proprietor

Oh, I have another comment too.. Since the movie is supposedly set in 2005, are the characters supposed to be the same age as they were in the original series or has movie "magic" made 'em all 25 years younger than they should be? LOL.

The way I figure, Rosco'd be 73 by now (tho' Jimmie'll be 79 this year). I believe Rosco's age was mentioned in one episode and I was able to figure that the character was 6 years younger than Jimmie. Boss would be older than Rosco (even though Sorrell was actually 4 years younger than Jimmie).

Ok, I'm done bein' nitpicky.

Meadowmufn

What people have to realize is that the movie isn't a flat out recreation of the show. It's a fresh new take on the "concept" of the show. From what I've seen so far, it's gonna be a cross between The Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and the Bandit. For me that's my favorite show and my favorite movie all rolled into one. I'm very excited about it. But it's good that people are skeptical because if they weren't who know's what they might try and get away with. If they'd have done it like Starsky and Hutch I don't know if I'd even go see it. But just keep this in mind. It's been 20 years since the show ended. Times have changed and even though we all loved the original show, if someone else tried to do the movie like the original show it would suck. The thing that amazes me is that the Dukes have gone from just a kick ass tv show to an American legend, like Jesse James. 20 years from now if the movie is sucessful we'll probably see a whole new take on the story. Most of our American heros were far from what Hollywood has made them out to be. An considering that the Dukes is based on the life of Jerry Rushing, an actual person, I believe they will be considered as much of an American story as Davy Crockett. The original show was great, but it was only one way of telling a story. With the show Bo and Luke always did the right thing, the good guys always won and the bad guys always got it in the end. This movie I believe might be a more realistic take on a classic American story, which is what seems to sell these days. Not to say that Bo and Luke will be bad guys but they have flaws just like all of us and it's there ability to overcome them and do the right thing that makes them heros.

Traveller ......That is exactly what I have been tying to say for a while now. The new movie may not have been what fans have wanted to see on the big screen. Yes the choices fans wanted for who to play who were biased based on the original and more towards the later years if the show. I hhave said if they make this the way they made the first few episodes it would be great. The raciness and more of the down home feel. Whoever making this movie will interpret the way they see the Dukes, not the way we see them. Everyone has a little different idea on that. Maybe the movie will be good ,then again maybe not. I will wait til it comes out and see it for myself to pass judgment.

I loved the choice of Burt as Boss Hogg as I felt it will bring a more seriousness to the role. And MC Gainey as Sheriff Roscpe Coltrane, who would have thought that. You never know . But as I said before it has all to do with chemistry and they might all work well as Hazzardites..

I joked in an earlier thread about it being set in today and not the 70's/80's and the use of CB's , hoping they will NOT use NEXTELS to talk to each other. It was a thought about modern stuff and how it could be today...

a fresh take on the concept is exactly what this is...look at walking tall, it was a fresh take on the old '70's movie about sherriff buford pusser. but instead of being about going after moonshiners, they brought the concept to a new generation, revamped, changed buford pusser to chris vaughn and instead of moonshiners, the story was about corruption of a small town through drugs and gambling.

How would feel if they changed the DOH ? Have their last name Royal , you could call them Dukes (Royal=Dukes, it works) place them in Wyoming or somewhere like that and have them drive a monster truck called "Stonewall Jackson", since they will live near Jackson Hole, WY. Will it still be the Dukes Of Hazzard? That is exactly what they did to Walking Tall.

Walking Tall was a huge disappointment to me. I am a huge fan and collector of Sheriff Buford Pusser. I was very excited when I found outthey were remaking the movie, then got deflated when I found out "The Rock" was cast as the main character. The movie had actually nothing to do with Sheriff Buford Pusser, just the title , which in my opinion was the only way to bring in people to the movie. Saying it was inspired by his story is an overstatement.

I would loved to have a fresh take on Walking Tall , but I don't think it will come as close to the original. Don't forget Pusser was involved in the movie when it was made in the early 70's.

Walking Tall was a bad example of a "fresh take" when talking about redoing movies. Anyway remakes are alwasy done for movies and comparing TV shows , where people know the charaters longer and better is totally different . Characters that have been developed for years by actors are the ones that the public are used to. So a new movie will be looked at differently by those fans.

I am sure many of you know i am not really high on this movie but I will have to agree that the new concept may be a okay one. I wish the old cast would have got some sort of cameo for the movie but unfortunately they do not like it. At least a movie is being made and I am sure it will make money when it comes out. I believe they could have got better people to play some of the characters but there is nothing that can be done about it now so we all have to deal with it. If there was a new TV series to come out from this though, I hope they would cast it more carefully than the movie.

As for Walking Tall, I liked it but it was too short, seemed like the movie was rushed. That is my only complaint there on that one.

Thanks,

Hazzard Fanatic

everybody just shut the hell up about wishing things were like the tv, it's not, they director is not going for a direct rip of the tv show, no one wants to see old, wrinkled actors from the tv show.

Besides, the tv show sucked anyway, except for Daisy's rear exterior and the General. So why they're even bothering to put that 34-year-old car in the movie is beyond me...

MaryAnne

-----------

HazzardNet Administrator

Content Manager

HNet Forums Reichsprotektor

As far as the movie, yeah I think all we can do is wait and hope. As for a new T.V. show... I don't wish for that. You just can NOT capture lightning in a bottle. The Dukes was perfect. Do do another show would be like trying to bring back MASH with an all new cast. It would not work.

As for the last post ... tahanks for the opinion, but they are like >>>holes, and yours needs cleaned!

As far as the movie, yeah I think all we can do is wait and hope. As for a new T.V. show... I don't wish for that. You just can NOT capture lightning in a bottle. The Dukes was perfect. Do do another show would be like trying to bring back MASH with an all new cast. It would not work.

As for the last post ... tahanks for the opinion, but they are like >>>holes, and yours needs cleaned!

I was being sarcastic in regards to something bamamedia said in another post. I'll use the tags next time.

And...mine is clean, thank you very much.

MaryAnne

-----------

HazzardNet Administrator

Expert Cord Tripper

Awright, I'll admit I ain't the most technically advanced of the bunch. But when did we get sarcasm tags? I'm checking the post options here...

Lessee.."bold", "italicize", "supersize", "dialecticize", "chop, blend, stir"... Nope, no sarcasm.

My posts nevah have any sarcasm anyway. :wink:

Brian

HazzardNet Moderator

Content Editor

Floor Sweeper

To whoever started this thread: Cathy Bach and John Schneider were NOT terrible actors. Ugh!!!!

Yeah ok. And Keanu Reeves is the greatest actor of all time, right?

Listen, you don't have to be mean about it! I really don't like your sarcasm... I don't know why you want to get on a forum for DoH fans, then insult the show and the actors we all like so much! So... There's my 2 cents. See ya.

Here's the deal. The show is what started it all. That is what I loved. The show. Now a movie is being made. Now people keep asking the question of whether or not I'd like to see some of the old stars in the movie. OF COURSE I WOULD! I'd also like a movie that was similar to the television show enough to where we would get more than just Roscoe's dog Flash's endorsement of the movie. The original formula is what worked. Yeah I'll watch the movie anyway out of curiosity, but I really wish the script had been inclusive of the original cast members (possibly the duke boys being sons of Bo and Luke for example). Or at least a movie that did the original show justice. Judging from John Schneider's and Ben Jones' opinions about the script, it doesn't look like we're going to be getting that.

To whoever started this thread: Cathy Bach and John Schneider were NOT terrible actors. Ugh!!!!

Yeah ok. And Keanu Reeves is the greatest actor of all time, right?

Listen, you don't have to be mean about it! I really don't like your sarcasm... I don't know why you want to get on a forum for DoH fans, then insult the show and the actors we all like so much! So... There's my 2 cents. See ya.

Look, I am not putting down the show at all or being mean. I love it and always have. But, that doesn't mean it wasn't hokey and had bad acting. If you look back at a lot of the old shows....Knight Rider, The A-Team, etc... They were hokey and sometimes had bad actors but, we loved them any way. I watch some of those shows today and realize how silly they were. But, I grew up with them and still love it because of it. These guys aren't going to win any Oscars any time soon. But, that really doesn't mean anything either if EMINEM can win one!! :D