British English Spellings

HossC

As y'all know, I'm not from the US, but I'm aware that a lot of you are. Since I've been on HNet I've made a conscious effort to try to spell words the American way (when I remember there's a difference) - I just thought it would make things easier.

George Bernard Shaw said "England and America are two countries separated by a common language.". We have trousers and pavements, y'all have pants and sidewalks (although trousers are called pants here in Ireland), but sometimes we even spell common words differently. I found the following spelling test on quiz site Sporcle earlier. It gives the US spelling of 44 words and you have to enter the British spelling. It was probably easier for me being British, but I got 40/44 before the time ran out. Have a go and post your results:

American vs British English Spelling Test

If that's too easy for you, try the A-Z of these hard-to-spell words:

A-Z Spelling Bee

You'll be pleased to know that all is jolly well over here because that's just how we talk (not) :). Family Guy is good at mocking the English as this scene shows (I think the image is mirrored to avoid copyright).

My father and I actually waited outside Downing Street to see Jimmy Carter when he came to visit British PM Jim Callaghan - it must have been in the late '70s. Security wasn't as tight then - I bet you wouldn't get anywhere near them now.

Glad you guys are giving these a go. On the A-Z quiz I got 17/26 the first time, although it was more like 17/24 because I didn't know the president or the 'infamous' country (note to self: revise US presidents and geography). Thought I had it licked, but still only got 24 the second time around. Third time lucky - a couple of days on and I finally got 26/26. I guess lost_sheep was right - practise (practice) makes perfect :).

Glad you guys are giving these a go. On the A-Z quiz I got 17/26 the first time, although it was more like 17/24 because I didn't know the president or the 'infamous' country (not to self: revise US presidents and geography). Thought I had it licked, but still only got 24 the second time around. Third time lucky - a couple of days on and I finally got 26/26. I guess lost_sheep was right - practise (practice) makes perfect :).

The infamous country I got right, but didn't realize there was an extra "z" in there. Or as the British say... zed. ;)

• 1 month later...