NASCAR Trivia

Garrett Duke

Well I had started a thread like this at my NASCAR Club or what not on here, but figured it might be fun to do it here...especially since we 52 more days until Daytona 500 in February.

The last trivia thread I had, I posted the trivia question first and then who ever answered the trivia question could come up with their own question...or could pass.

I'll start...

What does NASCAR stand for?

NASCAR was founded in 1947/48 by William France Sr. (The grandfather of Brian France who is the CEO of NASCAR today...as of 2009)

Well MaryAnne, you just had to go burst my bubble, didn't you? Thought I knew a lot about the sport, but obviously, I don't know everything. LOL. Sadly, I had to go look that up...hope that isn't against the rules. Good question though!

Sticking with MaryAnne's question...

Who won the first NASCAR race?

I won't be answering any of these since my knowledge of NASCAR is pretty bad, but for what it's worth, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to learn more about NASCAR.

Well Roger, I am sorry that you won't be participating, though do understand. Feel free to ask questions as we go along. Am glad to hear that you will be keeping an eye on the thread...:)

Sticking with MaryAnne's question...

Who won the first NASCAR race?

Well that was kind of a unfair question because even I had to look it up when I looked up the other question. So I will go ahead and answer it...

Christian "Jim" Roper won the first NASCAR race - winning $2,000 for his win. Don't know what they earn for a win these days...though I could look it up...but am pretty sure that it is more than that.

Next question...

Who has won the most NASCAR races?

Figured Richard Petty was an obvious answer and question, but figured after my last question, it seemed only fair to give an easier question. As for the wins...

Richard Petty has two hundred wins to his NASCAR career...something that will never be met or done again. Believe they had more than one race a week and perhaps raced year round. Could be wrong about that...it's been awhile since I heard that. But do know that it is nearly impossible for anyone to get to 200 wins now.

Question: Which two drivers have the most championships (tied)?

Question: Which two drivers have the most championships (tied)?

Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Question: Jimmie Johnson holds the record for most consecutive championships (currently at five). Before Jimmie tho' there was another driver who had several consecutive championships. Who was it?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a NASCAR-Dukes trivia question for you Garrett (or anybody else who knows the answer)

On the "special features" on season 1 of the Dukes DVD set (disc 3) they did a "high octane salute" to the Dukes that featured some NASCAR drivers.

Here is the list of drivers on that special feature:

Larry Foyt

Robby Gordon

Jason Leffler

Matt Kenseth

Greg Biffle

What big name NASCAR legend is missing from this list?

Rust...Rusty Wallace?

Dang Roger...I haven't gotten the chance to watch all the extras on the DVDs and if I have, it's been awhile...wish I could buy more time to watch the Dukes. Anyway...if Rusty Wallace isn't the answer, I am sadly stumped by your question. I should know what happens in the winter since we have a lot of snow outside my window right now...then again, you said NASCAR legend. (I'd say Richard Petty, but don't see how that would have any connection to what he has to do with old cars and salty roads...)

Rust...Rusty Wallace?

. (I'd say Richard Petty, but don't see how that would have any connection to what he has to do with old cars and salty roads...)

Well, if you drive your car a lot in the salt and it rusts out you'll only get Petty cash out of it when you sell it. (That reminds me of Boss's quote from season 1 when he says none of his cash is petty)

Just kidding Garrett. It's Rusty Wallace. If you have season one and haven't seen the "high octane salute" lately I highly recommend it for a huge NASCAR fan like you.

LOL Roger. I had thought of Boss Hogg saying that while I read the first part of your post there. Rusty Wallace, huh? If you were to ask me what NASCAR legend you are missing from that list...I would have to say Jeff Gordon since you didn't list him. ;) But it was your trivia question, so I guess we'll go with your answer . . .this time.:-o

February 18th will signify what event in NASCAR's history?

Very good Lizzy. I never was a Dale Earnhardt fan, but do remember that day. At that time, I was a fan, but knew very little about NASCAR and the rules and all of that. Actually, that year, that Daytona 500 race was the only race I saw. It was so surreal that he would pass like that for if I remember correctly, his accident was a lot alike most accidents you see every race. I have seen worse accidents in the years following and the drivers walk out like nothing happened...in fact if I remember right, that same race there was a multicar pile up (Gordon was one of them and one of the few that was able to return to the track) where a car rolled over other cars and they all walked away from it. Yet Dale...I remember watching it and my sister calling to talk to my dad and my dad telling me she said Dale died in it. Though at the time HANS (Head and Neck Support) was optional to wear and Dale didn't wear it. Now the HANS is not an option but a rule.

May Dale rest in peace...he died doing what he was great at and what he loved doing.

Who won that race?

• 6 months later...
Very good Lizzy. I never was a Dale Earnhardt fan, but do remember that day. At that time, I was a fan, but knew very little about NASCAR and the rules and all of that. Actually, that year, that Daytona 500 race was the only race I saw. It was so surreal that he would pass like that for if I remember correctly, his accident was a lot alike most accidents you see every race. I have seen worse accidents in the years following and the drivers walk out like nothing happened...in fact if I remember right, that same race there was a multicar pile up (Gordon was one of them and one of the few that was able to return to the track) where a car rolled over other cars and they all walked away from it. Yet Dale...I remember watching it and my sister calling to talk to my dad and my dad telling me she said Dale died in it. Though at the time HANS (Head and Neck Support) was optional to wear and Dale didn't wear it. Now the HANS is not an option but a rule.

May Dale rest in peace...he died doing what he was great at and what he loved doing.

Who won that race?

Michael Waltrip (Darrell Waltrip's younger brother.) went on to win the race.

As of now, (August 29, 2011) who has the most wins of the 2011 season?

• 3 months later...

Well I don't know for sure...but I am willing to guess that Tony Stewart won the most races in 2011 with five. Ironically, all in the chase. I'll have to look it up to be sure.

Well I thought with the off season sadly upon us and 80 more days until Daytona 500, we should start this up again. Or try to...

So here's the next question...

The 2012 will have some sort of a mile marker for Jeff Gordon. It will mark that Jeff Gordon has been in the elite series (Sprint Cup...back then it was Winston Cup) for ________ years. (How many?)