6. Tony Stewart

7. Carl Edwards

8. Greg Biffle

9. Kurt Busch

10. Jeff Burton

11. Matt Kenseth

12. Clint Bowyer

13. Jamie McMurray

14. Ryan Newman (-75 behind McMurray for 13th spot.)

Kevin Harvick is 77 points behind Johnson while Gordon with his poor race Saturday night is now 156 points behind his team mate JJ. We have five races remaining of the season :(. With that said, I think that the fight for the championship is going to be between Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin, and Kevin Harvick. They haven't came out and said that anyone is mathematically elliminated as of yet, but they are the closest together. Gordon, Kyle, and Stewart could possibly get it if they start winning the next few races and have solid finishes with Jimmie getting some bad luck. :( Am not giving up hope yet, but reality is slowly beginning to sink in after Saturday night...would wish Gordon get his fifth championship before JJ got his, but doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Thanks for the update Garrett. I went to the Steelers-Browns game today so didn't watch any TV. I saw something in the Pittsburgh newspaper that you might want to comment on.

Some folks are claiming that JJ's winning ways are hurting NASCAR because his constant success makes it boring....they blame part of that on the fact that his personality isn't very exciting. What do you think?

I believe you said at one time that your expert believes that NASCAR is fixed...which I have heard other places as well. I have wondered that before, but am satisified now to think that it isn't fixed. Reason why I think that NASCAR isn't fixed is the fact that Jimmie Johnson keeps on winning. I don't know for sure that he is to blame for the decrease of NASCAR viewers, but I do think him winning all the time is partly to blame. Then again, I think NASCAR did it to themselves with the chase. This chase caters to JJ's driving style and ability. I heard if they were under the old point system, he'd only have two championships, not four. If it was under the old point system, Gordon would have six right now. Under the old point system the drivers had to work to earn each position to to get maximum points, under the chase system, it's all about the wins.

As for JJ's personality...I wouldn't say he's boring. Not at all...but that is my opinion. But I do know people think of him as boring as they call him vanilla. People think his personality is boring because he doesn't get mad and upset, doesn't start fights, he doesn't get in trouble, doesn't loose his temper as some of those drivers do. If there is a problem, JJ talks about it calmly, doesn't go off and throw his helmet around or run other drivers off the track.

JJ has over fifty wins and has won four secutive championships that he won by hard work. Which I think says a lot more for him than those drivers who run other drivers off the track in order to win the race. Have to admit, seeing Kyle Busch throw his HANS device at a driver's car or to see Robbie Gordon (NOT Jeff Gordon ;) ) throw his helmet at Michael Waltrip's car during a caution does make it interesting and does add excitement to the race, but I would much rather JJ be like he is than to resort to that level in order to not be tagged as having a boring personality. Being a Jimmie Johnson fan (after Gordon, of course) I don't see him as being boring, but then again, I am biased in that opinion. ;)

I believe if NASCAR wants to attract more views back to the sport, they need to do some drastic changes to the chase in order to help the rest of the field gain some advantage over Jimmie Johnson who has the chase pegged pretty good if you ask me. Either change it or get rid of it all together. Would love for them to get rid of the chase and go back to the old point system...but don't think that would happen. Have heard NASCAR talking of changing the chase, but haven't heard of anything that is set in place for next year. Have heard a couple of rumors as to what may or could be done, but nothing official as of yet.

Of course all of that is of my opinion. . .;)

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Denny Hamlin (-6) JJ better get his gear next weekend to seperate himself from the elven team!

3. Kevin Harvick

4. Kyle Busch

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Carl Edwards

7. Tony Stewart

8. Jeff Burton

9. Kurt Busch

10. Matt Kenseth

11. Greg Biffle

12. Clint Bowyer

13. Jamie McMurray

Well, y'all, I wouldn't get too comfy with the points as they are now. I have a feeling after Talledega Sunday, that things may look a little different than they do now. Though...am hoping that JJ will still be listed as number one after Talledega (Sorry GLG...know you like Hamlin.) Hopefully Gordon and the rest our favorite drivers will avoid the big one that Talledega is known for. :D

That's good advice about not getting too comfy.

Hmmm, I don't recall my friend ever saying things were fixed in NASCAR. I suspect you misinterpreted something I posted. He did say that Jimmie's crew plays a big part in his wins and that they have secrets that they don't want to give up. I guess I can't blame them.

The bottom line is that NASCAR will probably do something to stop his success if they think he's hurting the sport by being too good.

If they do, their actions will cause controversy that will hurt the sport but they'll probably view it as the better of the two evils. I can't imagine NASCAR tolerating 10 years in a row of JJ winning the Chase.

That's good advice about not getting too comfy.

Hmmm, I don't recall my friend ever saying things were fixed in NASCAR. I suspect you misinterpreted something I posted. He did say that Jimmie's crew plays a big part in his wins and that they have secrets that they don't want to give up. I guess I can't blame them.

The bottom line is that NASCAR will probably do something to stop his success if they think he's hurting the sport by being too good.

If they do, their actions will cause controversy that will hurt the sport but they'll probably view it as the better of the two evils. I can't imagine NASCAR tolerating 10 years in a row of JJ winning the Chase.

I apologize if I got it wrong...it is known to happen from time to time with me. ;) But seriously, I'm sorry. I thought you said that, but maybe I just interpretted it. Who knows with me. But I'm sorry.

Chad Knaus and the entire 48 team has a lot to do with his success. He may have wins and a couple of championships without them, but he wouldn't have as much success as he has now without those guys backing him up. And perhaps they have their secrets, I am not one to argue with you or anyone about something I know nothing of. But I do know that Rick Hendrick is big on the whole organization sharing notes and information with one another as well as car set ups and all that. Not to say that JJ could be holding stuff back from his own team and if that is the case...shame on him. LOL. He has his pitcrew to thank for his talent, but I do believe he owes Gordon a few thanks as well. After all, it was Gordon who recognized his talent when he was still in the Busch Series...now the Nationwide Series.

You must think very highly if you think JJ is going to win ten championships in a row...HA HA. He may win it this year...hopefully...but next year is all Gordon. HA HA. I hope that is true, but am joking. If NASCAR wants to stop JJ from going ahead with this streak of his, they need to throw the chase out the window or do some MAJOR changes to it. The chase and the way they have it now fits JJ's style perfectly. But NASCAR does something to ruin Johnson's chances to win it, then to me, that is just wrong. As I said, the only way NASCAR can honestly stop Johnson is to get rid of the chase or fix it so that it doesn't fit his style as it does now.

(Talking of his crew, I have often thought that it would be great to see JJ and Jr switch crew cheifs and see what would happen with both drivers. What y'all think? ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

With the finish of Homestead...the 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup series comes to an end. Am I the only one sad to see it end? Or perhaps y'all are excited with the thought of it ending also shutting me and my rantings up? Well I may be the only one, but my count down will now start until Daytona... 91 days left to go! :lol:

As they...the media...have said, this is the closest and tightest that the points has been since they did the chase. Which I guess did make it more exciting, but did make it hard for me to watch. LOL. ESPN showed the points near the driver position marquee today and it was fun and nerve wracking to watch as the points went back and forth all day with the troubles each driver had had sent them back and forth. It also shows how each position is important to gain.

JIMMIE JOHNSON HAS WON THE 2010 NASCAR SPINT CUP SERIES CHAMPION...TO WIN IT FIVE TIMES A ROW! CONGRATULATIONS JIMMIE AND TEAM 48!!!!!!!!!

Here is the unnofficial top thirteen in points for the 2010 season:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Denny Hamlin (-39)

3. Kevin Harvick (-41)

4. Carl Edwards

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Greg Biffle

7. Tony Stewart

8. Kyle Busch

9. Jeff Gordon

10. Clint Bowyer

11. Kurt Busch

12. Jeff Burton

13. Mark Martin

Am very excited for Johnson and team 48 to come back to win the championship after the on and off season that they have. Winning four back to back is awesome, but to prevail as they had this year through their mistakes and all that to win it, shows what they are made of. As JJ had said himself. It was great seeing all of his spin outs he had done, though felt bad for Carl Edwards who had won the race as all the attention was on JJ. Was great to see Tony Stewart coming to congratulate Jimmie...and wearing a NASCAR 48 hat! :D

Though being the huge Jeff Gordon fan that I am...am very disappointed with a nineth place point finish. :( I was hoping for a top five finish...at least he is within the top ten...that way he can go to Las Vegas for the award ceremony. Only the top ten drivers in points are able to attend the awards...I will let y'all know when that is when it gets closer.

(Make sure you catch my Homestead race summary on the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race happenings. :D)

Congratulations Jimmie!!

I suppose the conspiracy theory that JJ was just taking it easy before the Chase just to make things interesting is going to get even bigger now. Personally I don't believe in that theory but I can see how it got started.

I felt bad for your man Jeff Gordon. It seemed weird to see him being interviewed before the race was over. Oh well, at least it was because of a blown engine and not a crash.

I know what you mean about those numbers Garrett. I think I was more focused on the updated numbers than the cars.

Did you hear Carl saying that he hurt his ankle on the flip? Good thing he has some time off. His injury gave him the opportunity to put a free advertisement up there for his insurance company.

The 5 consecutive championship list that ESPN posted was pretty impressive. Anytime you get compared to the Celtics and Yankees you know you've accomplished something!

Thanks again for all your thoughts, posts and analysis Garrett. You sure know your NASCAR!

91 more days!

Well Roger...JJ really cut it close if he did all them mistakes and got passed by Hamlin in points on purprose. Don't think I buy that either...if Hamlin had saved gas as JJ did last week in Phoenix, Hamlin would most likely be the winner this year instead of Johnson. My opinion is is that Johnson wouldn't do all that on purpose, there is a big risk on doing that.

Five straight wins in a row is amazing and something that probably won't be seen again. I am very excited for Jimmie and his team...even if it isn't Gordon. LOL. Four straight wins was great, but like JJ said, I think this year they proved just how good they are by coming back from their mistakes and all that as they did to win it.

It was just wrong to see Gordon out of the car and being interviewed before the end of the race. Even more wrong to see him finish the season nineth in points and without a win to his year. Oh well...I guess you're right...at least it wasn't from an accident. Still frustrating...

You are very welcome Roger...I have enjoyed writing the race recaps and points and hope I am awarded the same privledge come Daytona in February. :) I will keep you updated with any news I hear during the offseason so keep an eye open...there is rumor going around of talk of changing the chase, so hopefully something will come out sometime soon now that the season is over.

Thanks Roger...I would like to think I know NASCAR. Though I am sure there are things out there that I don't know about.

I did hear Carl say he hurt his foot...in fact I think I did write that down once but had to delete and rewrite that paragraph and left that out. Sure Aflac liked hearing that. LOL. Hope he didn't hurt it too bad...perhaps his Aflac will be able to help Kahne's rear left tire changer who got hit by Harvick in the pits...LOL

91 more days...way too long to go.