Sports

RogerDuke

Hey Garrett, was that you who sent me the name of the old NASCAR thread? I think it was in one of the General Discussion catagories.

I think you should revive that so it has the NASCAR name on it or, better yet, start a new NASCAR thread here on the hobbies forum.

There might be more NASCAR fans out there who want to get in on it but aren't clicking on this one because it only says "Sports"

I'd like to get into it this year and seeing it on the forum screen would encourage me.

On second thought, I'll start it. Today's Cale's birthday.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Roger, I apologize. I totally didn't see the last few posts here so I missed it! Don't know how that happened. . .

Today is the opening day for baseball...the day I have been looking forward to and counting down to since the start of NASCAR (since it follows NASCAR's season opener). Anyone have any thoughts to share? I thought of you Roger, saw your Pirates won BIG time today. LUCKY them and LUCKY you.

As for me and my Chicago Cubs...what a sad and disappointing game it is. Their ace pitcher pitched his shortest game yet with pitching only 1 1/4 innings to give up eight runs. :( Another pitcher gamve up six runs in one inning. Now in the bottom of the eigtth, they are losing 15-5 to the Atlanta Braves. Guess Cooter would be happy to sit back and watch this game, bet he'd be celebrating it. Me on the other hand, think I'll go off and cry somewhere. I really hope this isn't any sign of what their season will bring them this year. The Cubs offense and defense seems to be OK...not a lot of runs or hits, but they seem to be pretty good on the field, though with a few errors. Mainly it's the pitching and the lack of control. They had a couple of relief pitchers that did awesome at keeping the Braves' bats silent, but for some odd reason, they pulled them out after a couple of innings!

Well they just lost 16-5. Ol' Cooter's headin' to the Boar's Nest to celebrate I'd imagine.

Well Roger, at least your team did their job to win BIG time. :) (GO CUBS!:))

Am now really looking forward to NASCAR's next race in Phoenix on Saturday night. :D

hahaha! Yeah I'm gonna watch it Sunday... I watched some of the practice runs today.. I don't have a favorite driver since I just started watching it today, lol, but it feels pointless if I'm watching the race and not cheering for somebody.. I'll just turn it off if I'm not cheering for somebody... And I know Garrett's gonna tell me to cheer for Gordon... But I also like a bit of competition! lol. So I'm gonna go with whatever car is my favorite number.. #11. Is there even an #11? I think I remember there being an #11 on today.. So I'm cheering for #11! lol!

Denny Hamlin is number eleven, GLG, but by now you already know that, don't ya? ;) Sorry didn't see these posts until today. You're right...I'd tell you to go for Gordon...so why didn't ya? Perhaps he'd have won last Monday instead of Hamlin...trust me, Gordon needs that win way more than Hamlin did. I need that win more than Hamlin did...*Shakes head* What have I ever done to you to make you go against me like that? HA HA HA. Oh well, GLG, you may have won this race, but wait til the end of November when they're handing out the championship trophy to JEFF GORDON...then you'll see who's the driver to go for. :D (Sorry I couldn't help myself. After my Cubs losing so badly, I had to give someone a hard time and since you went against Gordon, that made you the likely canadite for it. ;) )

Denny Hamlin is number eleven, GLG, but by now you already know that, don't ya? ;) Sorry didn't see these posts until today. You're right...I'd tell you to go for Gordon...so why didn't ya? Perhaps he'd have won last Monday instead of Hamlin...trust me, Gordon needs that win way more than Hamlin did. I need that win more than Hamlin did...*Shakes head* What have I ever done to you to make you go against me like that? HA HA HA. Oh well, GLG, you may have won this race, but wait til the end of November when they're handing out the championship trophy to JEFF GORDON...then you'll see who's the driver to go for. :D (Sorry I couldn't help myself. After my Cubs losing so badly, I had to give someone a hard time and since you went against Gordon, that made you the likely canadite for it. ;) )

Yeah, but Gordon didn't win, Hamlin did. haha. I don't know, maybe I'll cheer for Gordon next weekend... Or possibly some other random car number that comes to my head.. like maybe #48?? HAHA!

And it ain't nothin personal me not cheering for Gordon with ya... I like cheering for the opposite of who everyone is cheering for. Makes for some fun! haha

GLG - I know what you mean. I like to give people a hard time when they don't go for my teams or for Gordon. But if that is your stand point, perhaps I should point out that #48 (Jimmie Johnson) is my second favorite driver so you go for him we'd be going for the same guy. Though I would much rather see Gordon win it than him. Gordon needs it A LOT more than Johnson. Hmmm perhaps I'll go for number eleven Saturday then if you are going to root against me...perhaps then you'd root for Gordon. Nah...that'd be against everything I stand for. I can't go against Gordon. :)

I have a random number for you to pick for Saturday night's race...how about number 24? Sounds like a great number to me!:D

HA HA. Sorry GLG - hope you know I am giving you a hard time about it all. You are free to chose your own driver, but like I said, I tend to give people a hard time when they don't go for Gordon or the Cubs. HA HA.

Go Cubs!!

Go Jeff Gordon!!

(Life can get pretty rough around here if we don't keep Garrett happy) LOL

You trading on your Pirates for the Cubs, Roger? I'm surprised, but I'm definately not complaining...the Cubs can never have too much fans.;) Especially now when they just lost their one point lead to be down one point with one inning left to go...(GO CUBS GO!! LOL)

Hahaha.. Well I like the Cubs, they're my second favorite team after the Jays! That ought to count for something! ;) lol

As I watch more NASCAR and get more of a feel for it, then maybe I might start bending to your way of thinking Garrett. But for now, I'm just gonna cheer for random drivers! haha

Next race is this Sunday right?? I don't think I'll be able to watch it.. Got 4-H all day.

Hahaha.. Well I like the Cubs, they're my second favorite team after the Jays! That ought to count for something! ;) lol

As I watch more NASCAR and get more of a feel for it, then maybe I might start bending to your way of thinking Garrett. But for now, I'm just gonna cheer for random drivers! haha

Next race is this Sunday right?? I don't think I'll be able to watch it.. Got 4-H all day.

GLG - Well second place does count for something...though first is always better. LOL! Glad to know someone likes them and will root for them. (GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!) Hope your Jays are doing good so far...better than the Cubs - then again, you can't do any worse than them. They are now lost both games that they played. Hopefully they'll get their first win tonight.

It is probably a good idea to go for random drivers and get a feel for the sport that way when you do pick a "favorite" driver you know who you are going for. Know their attitude, their strengths, their weaknesses. You are a lot more thorough when you chose a favorite than I ever was. When I picked Gordon, I knew little about him other than he drove a Chevy and won two championships. I was lucky that he was/is a driver that is to my style. If that makes any sense, can't think of any other way to word it at the moment.

Pick who ever you want to pick...I'll try not to give you too hard of a time. LOL.

Lucky for you, GLG...it is on Saturday night. 7:30 ET on Fox. :D Racing in the desert...Phoenix. Racing under the lights...am excited for the first night race. Though am excited for any race. :D

Well Garrett, I'm still a Pirates fan but I'm also realistic. Since the Pirates hold the record for most losing seasons in all of sports, I don't think they'll win the World Series anytime soon. They're in the same division as the Cubs so I can't pick the Cubs as one of my favorite teams but I would like to see them win a World Series if they're not playing one of these 6 teams.

By the way, I have a favorite team in each division. Here are my favorites.

Pirates

Braves (I like anything from northern Georgia)

Dodgers

Blue Jays

Twins

Angels

Well Garrett, I'm still a Pirates fan but I'm also realistic. Since the Pirates hold the record for most losing seasons in all of sports, I don't think they'll win the World Series anytime soon. They're in the same division as the Cubs so I can't pick the Cubs as one of my favorite teams but I would like to see them win a World Series if they're not playing one of these 6 teams.

By the way, I have a favorite team in each division. Here are my favorites.

Pirates

Braves (I like anything from northern Georgia)

Dodgers

Blue Jays

Twins

Angels

Now isn't that a pestimistic way of looking at it? It only shows they have room for improvement, something they can work on. You can't give up on them a half week into the season, can you? The Cubs are now 0-2 for wins/losses and I'm still sayin' this is the year. Then again, I say that every year. If the Cubs can do it, your Pirates can do it.

I guess if I'd go for another team it would be for the Indians since the Cubs traded Kerry Wood to the Indians. Am still upset at their decision to get rid of Kerry Wood. Guess I can see why they did it because he has so much troubles with his arm and being on the DL due to his arm, but still, I really like Kerry and am sad to see him to another team. Guess it gives me another team to go for, though looks like Kerry is on the DL again due to his arm . . .

I'm not surprised that your second favorite team is in the American League and aren't a rival to your National League Cubs.

I get a little carried away with having a favorite team in every division but when you have a team like mine that has been so bad for so many years, you need to diversify a little bit or the season gets boring.

At this point, the only thing that Pirate fans shoot for is to not finish in last place in their division. It's a pretty humble goal but that's just reality.

Well I'd have a heck of a time if they were in the same division and they had to play each other on regular basis...though I guess I'd go for the Cubs no matter what. Last year the Cubs played the Indians in interleague games and was so torn especially at the last inning because the Indians had Kerry Wood close for them. The Cubs hit off him real good and I'd get excited about it (in fact my favorite current player, Derek Lee hit a home run off of him) until I realized it was Kerry Wood that they hit it off. Luckily I don't have to worry about that too much since they are in a different division and all.

Well Roger, I still think you need to be positive about your team, but that is good to have other teams to go for and to follow. I was just at the Cubs web site to see how their game was going (bottom of the nineth and they are ahead 2-0. Now if only they can finish without any damage...)and saw the central division standings. Your Pirates are in second place! :D That is something to celebrate and to be happy for. The Cubs on the other hand are fourth...the Astros are just below them in fifth. So far your Pirates are off to a better start than my Cubbies.

It's really nice of you helping me to try to be optimistic about the Pirates Garrett. It's working a little so thanks.

Pittsburgh has a couple teams that are successful, the Steelers and Penguins so I guess I shouldn't complain.

A lot of folks where I live (near the Ohio line in northwestern Pennsylvania) are Cleveland fans and they've never won anything in any sport but the Cavaliers have a good chance this year. I like the Timberwolves in the NBA but they're going to finish last this year.

I'll be rooting for the Cavs since I feel bad for Cleveland people...also, I like Shaq a lot. I've followed his career since he was in college in Louisiana.

Being a Cubs fan, Roger, I have to be optimistic. :) As I said, this is gonna be their year!

Haven't watched or followed basketball in a long time. Though did go for the Lakers a little bit a few years ago. Shaq's with a new team it looks...last I knew he was in Orlando. See how little I know. HA HA. Use to like him with the Lakers but then he had to go and leave.

It is baseball and NASCAR that I follow. Started to get into football a little at the end of this season, hopefully I'll learn more about it next season; as for now, it seems a bit complicated.

The Lakers and my Minnesota Timberwolves have a connection.

The Los Angeles Lakers used to be in Minnesota before they moved out to the west coast.

Since they used to be in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" they were named the Lakers. When they moved, they simply kept the name even though L.A. isn't exactly famous for its lakes.

Some teams keep their names and some don't. The (NBA) New Orleans Jazz moved to Utah and kept their name even though Utah isn't exactly famous for Jazz music like New Orleans.

Thank-you Roger for the information! I know very little about basketball or the history behind it. I use to watch or follow it, but it has been awhile. Though I think even when I did watch it, I didn't get into it as I do baseball and NASCAR. That was very interesting to know.

I'm learning all sorts of new things today. Watching the Cubs game earlier today, the Cubs announcers were talking about how long the Reds has been in Cinncinnati (Sp? LOL). Can't remember the year it was 18__ something and how they were the Cinncinnati Red Stockings and how they won their first game 43-9 or some big number like that against another Cinncinati team and how they won their first hundred games plus in a row that year. Maybe it is just me, but found that interesting as well.

• 2 months later...

Well, Roger you better watch out, sounds like your Pirates are up to play my Cubs in the near future sometime. I'll have to look it up. ;) If you're lucky, the Cubs' ace pitcher will still be serving his indefinite suspension he was given last night...by the Cubs themselves! Though don't know if they consider Carlos Zambrono as their ace anymore, he hasn't been as hot as he use to be. Didn't see the event when it had happened but have seen it online and heard a lot about it from TV sports shows and online...have to agree with the Cubs manager and GM that it was uncalled for. Very sad that he would take out his frustrations on his own teammates. Understand it is frustrating that they are losing and that he gave up four runs in the first inning, but by what the media is saying, it wasn't the players' fault that the runs were scored or allowed on base. Even if it was their fault, I'd still find it uncalled for. Think they are done or tired of his temper tantrums already, especially now that he isn't pitching as he use to. Think the Cubs made the right choice by giving him the suspension...guess he didn't punch anyone (this time) and the only thing that was physically hurt was the water cooler, but the last thing the team needs is for each other to take out their frustrations on one another. Not good for team morale at all either. It is sad when the team has to suspend their own players. . .(am hoping that Zambrano will get help for his anger/temper and that the Cubs will be able to move forward from this event...)

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry Roger...had to say that. I'll be a die hard Cubs fan til the day I die. Sorry to disappoint ya!)

I have been following the standings occasionally but haven't gotten too excited about them. Since the Pirates are in last place again I'd like to see the Braves do something. I like teams from Atlanta since that's in northern Georgia. I didn't used to pull for the Braves since I wasn't too crazy about Ted Turner's political views but since he doesn't own them anymore, I'd like to see them win.....unless, of course they're playing your Cubs or my Pirates!! LOL

Well just thought I'd say something because I thought of you while watching the Cubs game on Saturday when they said they were playing the Pirates on Monday...tonight. It does get discouraging to have your team always in last place. Being a Cubs fan, I can rightfully symphatise for you, Roger. Been there plenty of times. Haven't caught much games this year, but it seems like they are either really good or really bad. No in between. Guess they are lucky to be where they are at in standings right now, but if they are wanting to make it into the playoffs this year, they really need to pick it up. Guess placing their rotation from 25 man roster to 24 due to Zambrano's tantrum may hurt 'em a bit, though am glad to see them stepping up and facing up to Zambrano's tantrum to let him know it won't be allowed.

Well Roger, you must be into baseball as a sport in general. I mainly just follow the Cubs and see where they are going and as I said, I haven't seen that much games thus far this year. I don't have cable and I always forget to turn on the radio to listen into it, though find it easier to watch than to listen to. I am a visual person. Same with the races. Hope your Braves are doing well for you...and for my cousin, he likes the Braves too.