This Is How You Do It

Bo shut the picture album carefully and returned it to the shelf just as carefully. There were very few things that the Dukes owned, but the photo albums were the most prized out of all of them. He'd give up everything if he could keep the photo albums that held the pictures of their life, people they had lost and memories he had forgotten that others could tell him about.

Chuckling a little he turned back to look at his cousins, shaking his head.

"Course.....when it came t'school there weren't hardly anyone I listened to..."

Luke smirked. "Well maybe if it wasn't so boring I would have gone more...but I dunno that I woulda been any wiser," he added.

Truth was Luke was smart already. He knew it, Jesse had known it, and the teachers...well, they never wanted to admit it. They never took kindly when Luke argued them out of a point they were trying to make. They always called it insuboordination, or disrespect, but Luke knew better...his many times to the principal's office had given him time to think if nothing else. It was plain old denial: denial that Luke knew some things they didn't. He had taken to skipping school mainly to avoid the principal's office, and the teachers hadn't said anything to Jesse. They just were glad to not have to deal with him, he supposed.

Bo shook his head a little, smiling to himself. Too many times had he skipped school with Luke, and while Luke didn't really get into trouble for it Bo was always the one who got the phone call home. He wasn't exactly stupid, he just wasn't academic. He didn't want to sit in a boring old classroom and learn different ways to do things with numbers he would never again use in his life. He didn't want to be forced to sit and read boring books, he didn't want to be forced to figure out the equation for time, distance and space. All he had ever cared about was racing, cars and girls. Once or twice he had even been bold enough to tell Jesse and Lavinia that....hadn't ended well of course but he had been bold enough to tell them.

"Oh come on...you two were better than me at any rate. All I ever heard from my teachers was Why can't you be more academic like your cousins. You might have skipped school Luke but yer grades were high enough to be compared to."

Daisy laughed nodding in agreement with Luke. "I heard that too Bo from the teachers that I didn't do well in their classes because I just didn't like them they were so boring. I got tired of askin to go to the bathroom and just coming up missing so I just started skippin' the whole day." She chuckled thinking about those long ago days of truancy "remember the time we skipped and I told 'em I had missed cos I had to stay home and take care of Aunt Lavinia and Uncle Jesse that they'd been real sick and couldn't even get out of bed."

Bo grinned as he swallowed down some sandwich, winking a little.

"Well it takes a lot of practise...."

He commented with a chuckle, heading back into the lounge to sit next to Luke, passing him one of the sandwiches as well.

"Course, it took a lot more to raise Luke's...although there was one time I really managed it that I can remember. You rarely gave up on me Luke but there was this one time...."

Bo was laying on his bed on his back, his head flopped over the end so he was looking at Luke upside down as well as the math book Luke was trying to show him. He really didn't care whether you had to do to the numbers to get the answer, but trying to get Luke to give up on him was always a challenge, and it was rare Bo Duke ever backed away from a challenge....less it was a homework one, that didn't count.

"Doesn't make any sense, why can't you do it the other way around?"

Daisy listened to her cousins through the thin walls of the farmhouse as she worked on her own homework. Or punishment was more like it she'd gotten caught chewing gum in class today and Ms. Sturgis was making her write 1000 times "I will not chew gum in class". Laying her pen down she rubbed her cramping hand a couple of minutes and then resumed her writing.

"Just because its not the answer they're lookin for, don't mean its the wrong answer. If you do it that way you still get a right answer for that way of doin the sum....dont make it wrong..."

Bo countered back in a sing song voice, twiddling his thumbs, his blonde curls bouncing even though his head was upside down.

"Because the way they're supposed to be done is as useless as they way they're not supposed to be done. I am never gonna randomly one day just sit down an go, I think these numbers need to be mucked around with to make a new number...just for the heck of it!"

Bo countered back, rolling back onto his front but having to close his eyes with a small giggle as it gave him a head rush.