I'm a Danged Fool

That night, Beth lay in bed, waiting for Bo. She knew Uncle Jesse was giving him quite the talking to. She wished Bo hadn't fought with Tommy, but with some of those girls in her classes, she knew exactly what Bo was feeling.

She lay there quietly, one hand over her stomach, speaking softly to the baby. "Honey, I don't know what we're gonna do with that Daddy of yours."

~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, downstairs, Bo was indeed getting the talking to of his life. "Beauregard Jackson Duke," Jesse said, shaking his head. "I thought you'd learned enough from Luke's mistakes to stay out of trouble by now."

Bo shook his head. "I'm sorry, Uncle Jesse. But Tommy had no right to say what he said about Luke."

Jesse groaned. "You know, Bo... Your main concern right now is to take care of Beth and that little one you got on the way."

Bo nodded. "I know, Uncle Jesse. I know... But it's family..."

Jesse knew that Bo was strong willed. Just like Luke. Just like Jesse himself, for that matter. "Bo, I know that Luke's family, and that what Tommy said wasn't called for. But if you end up in jail, what's Beth and that little one gonna do?"

Bo hung his head. "Yessir, Uncle Jesse. I know... I'll try my best not to let it happen again."

"You'd best do that," the old man replied, shaking his head. "Now... Off to bed. I gotta feelin' you got somebody else to explain things to."

~ ~ ~

Once at the door of the bedroom, Bo was immediately on the defensive. "Now, honey," he said as he walked into the room. "I'm sorry, but you gotta understand..."

"I do," Beth said softly, looking down at the hand she was resting on her plump stomach. "I understand completely. You're not the only one who has people talking about you and your family behind your back, believe it or not... Or right to your face for that matter."

Bo glanced at her. "Sunshine, who's been talkin' about you and the family?"

"You can't go beat 'em up for me, honey... They're all girls, and Uncle Jesse would tan your hide," Beth said.

"Well, in that case..." he said, pulling his T-shirt over his head. "I guess I can't."

He kicked off his jeans and climbed in bed beside Beth. "Oh, Bo," she said softly. "I'm sorry that I tried to tell you what to do today... I don't want to be 'Bo Duke's naggin' wife' or anything, it's just that..."

Bo smiled. "Sunshine, I know..."

Beth shook her head. "Let's go to sleep now."

And they did.

~ ~ ~

The next morning, at the Duke farm...

Cue Dixie

The next morning, at the Duke farm found everyone but Bo getting ready for school as usual but Bo knew Jesse had other plans for him since he would be out of school all week.

Jeb reached for the keys to his car and asked, "Are y'all about ready?" Jeb was anious to get to school for once as he'd be driving today.

Bo glared at him for a moment, "It better be a much slower ride than the last time you drove my wife anywhere."

"Scout's honor. It will be." Jeb didn't need to be on Bo's bad side again.

After the others had left for school, Jesse rinsed his coffee cup and said, "We'd best get at it." He picked up the keys to the pickup and tossed them to Bo. In the truck Jesse said, "I think we'll head up to number 3. It hasn't been worked in a spell."

Bo headed the truck off to still sight number three. For most two wheel drive trucks it was a challenge to get there but with a Duke behind the wheel the old Ford would have no problems making the trip up what wasn't more than a goat path. When they got the truck as far as they could get it, Bo parked it behind a clump of bushes. Being no stranger to hard work, Bo put the bag of sugar and two bags of corn on his shoulders and headed further up the mountain.

Jesse grabbed the yeast and the shotgun and followed behind his nephew. He watched as Bo slowed down about hundred yards from the still looking for the 'trip' wire that was connected to tin cans to warn the Dukes of unwanted company. Luke and Jesse had run this particular wire and with the still not being used in awhile the weeds were grown up to conceal it.

Bo knew he was close to the trip wire but couldn't see it.

Jesse said quietly, "About five feet in front of you. I can't see it either."

Once the mash was cooking Jesse said, "You know I've been cookin' up a lot of shine. I figure to have a load at about every still we've got by the time Luke gets home. Then we'll start delivering it. The only thing is that once Luke is home the law will be figurin' that we'll have to start delivering what I've made while he's been in jail so I figure they will be layin' for us."

Bo knew that Jesse had upped production on account of the baby and the extra expenses that were the result of Bo's carelessness. He assured his uncle, "We'll get it through. Don't ya worry, Uncle Jesse, Luke and me won't let ya down."

"I know you won't," Jesse replied as he stirred the mash again, using the big wooden spoon specially made by his great-great-great grandaddy and passed down through the Duke family for years.

Bo wiped the sweat from his brow and said, "Uncle Jesse... I'm worried..."

"'Bout what?" the older man asked, hoping he could help Bo with his worries, whatever they may be.

"Well," Bo said softly. "Uncle Jesse, it's just that I don't know nothin' about bein' a father... I don't know what to do with a baby... Only babies I ever had any dealin's with was baby goats and... and foals and stuff like that."

Jesse smiled softly as he began to speak to his troubled nephew...............

~ ~ ~

On the way to school, Jeb..............

Cue Dixie

Jesse smiled softly as he began to speak to his troubled nephew, "Bo, first ya just start out enjoying that little bundle of joy, be its Daddy, love it and enjoy it and the rest will come naturally. That little one will tell you exactly what it needs. Look at y'all, I didn't have no experience with babies before y'all and I have to admit, none of you have turned out too bad yet. Though, sometimes Luke does worry me just a bit with his wildness, but other times he acts so responsible it ain't funny."

On the way to school, Jeb at Daisy's request stopped at the Davenport's to pick up Dixie. She was in a pink top, blue jeans and boots. Jeb had to sneak just one more long glance at her, though she had never let him think they would ever be more than friends. He managed to get them all to school on time and without entering into any races. Though he did spot a few trouble makers as he walked Daisy, Dixie and Beth into the school. Jeb wished that Cooter and Luke hadn't graduated and Bo weren't susupended, he felt that it was going to be a long rest of the week.......

As for the oldest Duke boy, he had been up far too long with basically nothing to do but look out the small window at Hazzard pass him by, think, or twidle his thumbs. The ten days he was sentenced to was passing far to slowly. Luke had never liked to 'have' to stay inside, especially with the nice weather Hazzard was having let alone being locked inside. The thougths of the girls of Hazzard, the idle time, boredom, heat (as the Hazzard jail offered no air conditioning -- just an open window and a fan across the room at the officers desk) and 'alone' time was also leading to another problem for the young red blooded male, though he'd have been hard pressed to he admitted that to anyone except maybe Bo. An 'agitated' Luke stood near the window hoping to find somethng interesting to watch in Hazzard Square to get himself calmed down. All he managed to see was ................"

All he managed to see was cars going by. He noticed the wrecker, with Dixie in the passenger's seat. He waved, but knew she hadn't seen him. This was the slowest ten days he'd ever experienced. He hoped that no one else in his family would ever have to sit like this for this long, but knowing his family, it was only a matter of time.

~ ~ ~

At school, of course, everyone wanted to know where Bo was, and some of the ones who already knew, pretended they didn't, just so Beth and Daisy would have to say it again. It was a big game to some of them.

Beth wished Luke was there. He always knew how to handle people like this.

But he wasn't. And nothing anyone could say could change it.

But Beth looked on the bright side. Time was flying and summer was coming soon. And with summer would come the baby. She hoped that the baby would be safe and healthy. Lord knew she'd heard too many horror stories about babies. She hoped that hers was safe and sound.

She patted her now very large belly. This baby was going to be here soon enough.

~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, at home, poor Bo was about to go nuts with all the others gone.................

Cue Dixie

Meanwhile, at home, poor Bo was about to go nuts with all the others gone. He was not only doing his and Luke's regular chores but all the other odd jobs Jesse needed done in an effort to keep his out of trouble and busy. He would sure be glad when Luke got home. Actually, he would have never thought it possible but he'd even be glad to get back to school.

The week pasted a bit slower than normal for everyone involved. Even things were calmer that weekend at the Boar's Nest without Bo and Luke there. The only Dukes in the place were Daisy and Jeb. Bo being still grounded wasn't allowed to leave the farm unless Jesse sent him somewhere until he returned to school on Wednesday.

At the Duke farm, Monday morning finally came. Bo looked at Jesse with the sadest puppy dog eyes since he was three, "Uncle Jesse?"

Beth held her breath. She had a pretty good idea what Bo wanted. He had been pouting all week with Luke gone.

Jesse Duke knew his nephew pretty well himself and could have bet what he wanted. He wasn't disappointed. "Yes, Bo."

"You know we've gotten a lot of work done here and with Luke coming home today, he's gonna need a ride home." Bo hinted, "I'd like to be the one to go get him."

Jesse had been watching Bo all week. He had done a lot of work. He had also been waiting all week for Bo to ask to go get Luke. He thought a long while before answering. "Now, Bo you are still grounded and Luke is going to be on probation for six months. Do you think it's wise to let you go get him?"

Bo replied, "Uncle Jesse, I'll go get him and we'll be right back."

Jesse began sternly, "No ya won't." then he softened his tone a bit, "You'll go get him a change of clothes, take them with you, pickup Luke and check in with Luther at the garage. I understand he may have some work for Luke to help keep him out of trouble, then you can pick the others up from school and come home afterwards."

Bo's eyes were wide with surprise, "Yes, Sir! I'll go get the chores done so I'll be there when they release him." Bo knew the Luke would be released at noon.

Peggy began getting Luke's things together just before noon. At noon she opened the cell door and clocked him 'out' and said, "Luke to make this official I've got to read you the terms of your probation that Judge Hardcastle has set." she said with a sigh. She had read them and Luke wasn't gonna like them.

Luke didn't even like the sound of her tone, "Ok. I'm listening."

She explained, "The terms are pretty broad but I wouldn't break them if I were you. 'Lucas K. Duke, you are to remain peaceful, lawabidding and sober at all times during the probationary period. You will will notify myself, Judge Hardcastle before you leave the Tri County area.' I need you to sign here."

Luke looked at her in utter amazement. He felt he was being set up to fail this.

Judge Hardcastle had seen it as giving him enough rope to hang himself.

"Should I just make reservations now?" Luke said with a bit of temper which he didn't mean to direct at Peggy. "Hey, I'm sorry. You've been great. You didn't deserve that."

Peggy gave him a slight smile, "Thanks. I could always tell Judge Hardcastle you'd rather complete the thirty days."

Luke laughed, "Thanks. But, no thanks." He was going to have to talk to Jesse about this. He knew Rosco would be watching him like a hawk. He folded his copy of the paper with the conditions on it and walked outside, a free man. But to Luke it sure didn't feel that way. He saw Bo waiting at the General Lee. "Bo?" Before Luke could finish Bo was at his side.

"Luke!" Bo said full of excitement.

"I thought you'd still be grounded?" Luke asked.

Bo replied, "I am but Uncle Jesse let me come get you after of course giving me specific orders."

Luke figured, "Which involved 'come straight home', that's good by me!"

Bo shook his head no, "Actually it involves going to the garage until time to pick the others up from school which is about two hours away!"

At the garage, Luther Davenport was on a wrecker call. It seemed Agent Roche had been put into the pond by a white pick up. They would find out later that he had gotten a little too close to Jesse as he was going to the still site.

Cooter slapped Luke on the back, "Buddy am I ever glad you are back! We're so backed up its not funny!" He opened the refrigerator, grabbed three beers and handed them to Bo and Luke.

Luke took the beer. It really sounded good, but said, "Ya, know Cooter, as good as this would taste, I bet no one has had time to go get any parts. How about I trade this for a Pepsi and a shower?" Luke didn't think they needed to know that he and Dixie had exchanged a couple of letters.

Cooter replied, "You are on!"

Bo said taking a drink of his beer, "Luke you've got a change of clothes in the car."

"Thanks Cuz." He said heading to get his clothes and a shower.

When school let out Dixie was very glad to hear Luke talking to Cooter as she entered the garage, as promised she had saved the part run for him and hoped he'd take her up on getting something good to eat while they were gone. Now she just needed to work that in with her Dad's plans. They did need parts and she knew it. She heard Luther pulling in even before she could say anything to Luke, she formed her plan.......

• 1 year later...

Bo, Luke, and Cooter didn't think too much about Dixie's saving the parts run for Luke. But Luke did notice that Dixie, while dressed in jeans and a tank top, had her hair looking real nice, and was wearing a little make-up.

As Bo talked to Cooter, Dixie saw her father coming into the room. She walked over to him and said, "........

---

Cue Dixie

As Bo talked to Cooter, Dixie saw her father coming into the room. She walked over to him and said, "Well, well, if it isn't the long lost Duke." She lightly teased. She knew Luke pretty well and didn't want to make him mad or embaress him. Luke could be a very prideful person and she knew he'd likely been ribbed pretty hard by Bo and Cooter already. She turned to her father, "Ya know those parts should be ready by now."

Luther nodded with a sigh, "Yeah, Honey I know, but Cooter and me haven't had the chance to go get them."

Luke spoke up, "I'll grab the truck and run over and get them before they close, if you need me to."

Cooter played right into his hand, "That would be a big help. I can have this torn down and be ready to put the new parts in by the time ya get back." He looked at his father.

Luther shook his head and tossed Luke the keys to the six wheeled part truck. "Do you think ya can stay clear of the hooscal *** long enough to get back here with the parts?"

Luke just looked at Mr. Davenport.

Dixie saw her chance and said with a laugh, "I could go along to keep him out of trouble."

Luther didn't stop long enough to even think about his reply, "Yeah, you go and do just THAT."

Luke called as he and Dixie were getting in the truck, "It does still have full coverage (insurance) on it, right?"

"Yeah, and I'll keep it on there as long as you are driving it!" Luther Davenport replied seriously as he watched his truck back out of the lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke winked at Dixie, "Well, done! Where would you like to eat at? The Hazzard Diner has had chipped beef as a special too long."

Dixie laughed and replied, ".................

*** hooscal -- Though I may not have spelled it right, it's a word my grandfather used to use when he referred to jail.

Dixie laughed and replied, "Anywhere that DOESN'T have chipped beef as the special."

Luke grinned. Was it just him, or had she grown up in the short time he was in the pin? It was almost strange.

Dixie settled into the seat and smiled at the handsome driver. "So, tell me, Luke... Where do YOU wanna eat?"

Luke shrugged. He had no idea. But he sure wanted something that wasn't Hazzard County jail food.

---

Bo headed off to the school to pick up the others, knowing he was late. He knew that they wouldn't say anything, but still wanted to make sure to get home at a decent time so that Jesse wouldn't ask questions. Saying a quick goodbye to Cooter, he headed out the door.

Climbing into the General's passenger's seat, Bo tore out for school, not wasting any time.

~ Cue Dixie ~

As Bo and the others returned to the Duke farm, Uncle Jesse stepped out on the porch to get a look at his 'stray lamb'. To his surprise, he saw no sigh of Luke. He thought he had made it clear to Bo what he had expected when he let him pick Luke up. They were supposed to go to the garage and check with Mr. Davenport about Luke doing some work for him and then return home after picking the others up, Jesse thought.

Before Jesse could say anything, Bo read his expression, "Uncle Jesse, Mr. Davenport sent Luke on a part run. He'll likely bring the wrecker home or Cooter will bring him home."

Relief showed in Jesse's face. "Ok, Good. I'll have supper ready directly."

~~~~~~~

Luke thought of a reasonable place to get a good meal. "Hey, I know a little place right outside of Hotlanta. It's not really too big or fancy but they have good food."

Dixie replied with honesty, "Well, we're going there for the food, right? So who cares about all that fancy stuff that my Mother likes. Ya know, sometimes I wonder how her and Dad every got together. They are so different."

Luke replied, "Well, maybe you should ask them or even Uncle Jesse sometime. But, I always heard opposites attrack. Just look at how different Robin and I were."

"Were?" Dixie questioned, "So, .... does that mean you all are really 'over' and you're over her?"

Luke thought a brief moment before answering, "Yeah, were. And, yes we have been over since the last time we broke it off. I realized I was over her for good awhile back after I'd showed myself for far too long."

"Well, I hate things didn't work out for ya," she lied, "but, if it was over, I'm glad you're OK with it."

Luke replied, "Thanks, now how about some food?" He said as they pulled up to a small building with a hand painted sign that read, 'Ryan's'. *****

Dixie noticed the place was pretty croweded for such a small place. It was set up as an 'All You Can Eat' buffet which contained a salad section as well as several different hot dishes and a grill where they were cooking steak.

Luke said as they were seated, "I hope you aren't one of those girls who go out to eat and only eat two bites."

Dixie motioned her hands down herself and said in disbelief, "Do I really look like I'm one of those girls?" She knew she was a bit larger than most her friends.

Luke looked at her and said seriously, "Well, you could be one of them. You can't think you're fat or anything? You're about Daisy's size. I know you two have traded clothes before."

"Yeah, me and Daisy are about the same size. And, no I'm not going to just eat two bits of salad. As a matter of fact, I think I saw ice cream over there."

"Yeah, there is. Sounds like you're my kind of dinner date." Luke joked lightly with Cooter's kid sister. But, it did seem like she was growing up nicely.

Back at the house, Daisy and Beth seemed very interested in this parts run that Luke was making. When Bo mentioned that Dixie went along, Beth gave Daisy a knowing smile. "Hm..." she said, to her clueless husband. "That's interestin'."

Bo shrugged. "I reckon..." But he really didn't. He couldn't imagine why a parts run was interesting.

BALLADEER: Now, sometimes, ol' Bo wouldn't know interestin' if ya dropped it on his head.

~

Luke and Dixie enjoyed their dinner immensely, as Luke asked Dixie what had been going on in school lately.

There was so much gossip to catch up on, even in the short time Luke had been in jail. "So..." Luke said, grinning at her. "You find yourself a fella yet?" He winked. Dixie was a pretty girl, and getting prettier every day, so it would only make sense that she had a boyfriend now.

With a small smile, Dixie replied, "....."

~Cue Dixie~

Dixie replied a bit discouraged, "No. Everyone still thinks of me as 'Cooter's little sister'. Do you have any idea how aggravating that is?"

Luke replied, "Maybe more than you think I do. Lord knows I heard Daisy, Bo and Jeb complain about it for years. It's nothing Cooter or I can help. We are the oldest. Everyone knows us." He changed ideas, "Where can someone find Doc's office?"

Dixie looked at him with a strange look, "You know he lives in the white house right behind old man Moore's blue house."

Luke replied, "Even though old man Moore died about 5 years ago?"

Dixie looked at him like he was from Mars.

Luke smiled, "Yeah, everyone in Hazzard will tell you the same directions, but what I'm getting at is that the blue house was old man Moore's and no matter who lives there it will still be referred to as 'old man Moore's house, because everyone had him as a teacher, knew him or knew or him. Hell, I think he taught Jesse in grade school!"

Dixie saw where Luke was coming from. "I know all that, but it seems everyone treats me like I'm three! The last time I was at the Boar's Nest, even for teen night, was when we all went."

"Honey, ya ain't three!" Luke said with a smile, then, ......

"Honey, ya ain't three!" Luke said with a smile, then, trying to be discreet, he looked her over and said again, "You sure ain't three..."

Dixie wondered what he'd meant by that, but, in the midst of eating dinner and talking, she'd missed his look. "Well, maybe I'm not, but that doesn't mean people don't treat me like I am."

Luke grinned. "I understand that," he said.

She smiled back, trying to quiet the butterflies that went crazy everytime the blue eyed man grinned at her.

It was a strange thing, this feeling she had. But she sure believed it was real. And she wasn't complaining about it.

Luke paid the tab, then said, "Well, I reckon we better get a move on, don't you?"

To which, Dixie replied, "........

~Cue Dixie~

"Ah, yeah, Dad and Cooter will be needing those parts. Agent Roche is sure in a hurry to get his car back according to what Dad said." Dixie said.

Luke replied unthinking, "Yeah, he usually is in a hurry to get back on the job. They said he was all up in the air about being ran off the road by a white pickup truck!" He laughed knowingly.

Dixie looked at him a bit confussed, "You've dealt with him before?"

Luke replied thinking she meant at the garage, "Yeah, I've pulled him out several times. He's always in a hurry to get back in the 'game'."

"Game?" Dixie replied.

Though Luke offered no personal information, he talked with a knowledge that made Dixie wonder. "Yeah. Though the moonshiners here are doing their all to get their products delivered, the agents as well as your local law are doing all they can to stop them. But, at any large gathering, event or holiday you see people from opposite 'sides' enjoying passing the time of day with each other."

"You do?" Dixie asked. She was very neive to the 'goings on' of Hazzard.

Luke replied, "Why sure ya do. I've even seen an agent or two take a nip of good shine to toast a special occassion."

Dixie looked shocked, "You have? Wow! I sure do wonder who could have ran Agant Roche off the road. He said it was a white pick up. The only white pick up I know is your Uncle Jesse's and I don't know why he'd run a law man off the road."

Luke just looked at the innocent girl beside him. He now fully realized that she did not know that his family and himself made and ran moonshine. He thought surely as much as she had been around that she would know or at least have a clue, but he couldn't tell her. He'd risk the whole Duke family, yet the Duke and the Davenports had few secrets! Still in shock he relied, "The only one I know in these parts is Jesse's. So, ah, ... I wouldn't know. Maybe he was wrong about the color?" Luke punted to buy some time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile back in Hazzard........

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile back in Hazzard, Jesse stood up from the supper table and said, "Jeb, Bo we've got some work to do later. I'm hoping Luke gets back here directly." He said taking his coffee to the porch.

Everone knew wen he said this that he had a order of shine ready to be delivered tonight somewhere.

They heard the wrecker approaching the farm......

• 2 weeks later...

Though Luke was very glad to be back at home, he knew that he'd be having a conversation with Jesse about him fighting and being in jail. This was not a conversation that he looked forward to at all. As Luke parked the wrecker, he saw Jesse already on the porch with his after supper coffee. He took a deep breath, held it for a bit, then slowly released it. He was mentallyl preparing himself to not spout off and say something that he'd regret should he disrespect Jesse. That was the one thing that would not be tolerated in Jesse's house, no matter how old you were or what you thought you knew. Luke knew this, so he put his mouth in check before ever getting out of the truck. He walked to the porch with his head hung just a bit.

Jesse knew the look. He was sure he'd been there a time or two with his own father at about the same age as Luke was now. He too had once thought he knew it all. He sipped his coffee and said, "Well, well, well, so you managed to get home from jail without getting into another fight."

Luke looked Jesse in the eye and replied respectfully, "Yes, Sir."

"Good. Good. Why don't you grab a cup of coffee and I think Daisy made a pie. Then, we all have some work to do." Jesse said.

Luke knew what Jesse was referring to. He also knew the terms of the six month probation the judge had given him, but he figured he'd relax a few minutes before facing Jesse's lecture and discussing the probation and the shine run with him.

Inside Luke good naturedly put up with the others 'welcome home' remarks about being a jail bird and other such remarks.

Beth seemed a bit uncomfortable by the others teasing Luke. She knew it would have pissed her off if it had been Bo and instead of being glad he was home they teased him.

Luke ate a peice of Daisy's peach pie standing at the sink, then took his coffee outside for 'the' conversation. He figured he might as well start it, "Uncle Jesse, I know we have a run tonight but something came to my attention when I went on the part run for Mr. Davenport that I need to talk to you about."

Jesse knew that whatever Luke wanted to talk about had to be important or he would have waited. Jesse knew that Luke knew they would be having a serious talk tonight. "Alright, Luke. What is it?"

"Well, you know that with me working out of the garage there are times that Cooter's sister goes with me on calls or for parts like she did today." Luke waited for Jesse to nod 'yes', then continued, "Well, we were talking about Agant Roche's car and him being in a hurry for it. I off handedly said that he was always in a hurry to get back in the game."

Jesse replied, "Yep, that's Andy!"

Luke nodded, "I didn't think anything about hte comment." he paused, "But, Dixie got curious about how I'd know this. Jesse, I don't think she has a clue about us running shine."

Jesse sipped his coffee and replied, "It's likely she doesn't know. She's been gone awhile."

Luke continued, "Yeah, I know, but with her riding with me and the likelyhood of being shook down with her with me. I just wondered if maybe she should know to expect that we might get pulled at any given time, at least so she can decided if she still wants to go with me. I know that I'd never let her or anybody ride with me if I was loaded, but who knows when they may think I'm loaded and pull me? I think she'd be real upset if she didn't have a clue as to what was going on."

Jesse took another long drink of his coffee to consider what Luke was asking. The family business had always been just that. The only other ones that knew were other moonshiners, buyers, and, ...... Jesse thought the Davenports who knew because of the work that was done to the runners. The only other time Luke had ever mentioned something like this was when he had dated Robin. He had asked pretty much the same thing and had been able to let her know what to expect shoudl they get pulled over without telling her that he actually ran shine, but Jesse figured that her father had also given her some information. According to Luke, Cooter and Luther had kept his secret just that where Dixie was concerned. He finally replied with doubt, "Luke I just don't know. I mean she is a Davenport but you of all people know ow young girls can be when they get mad or something."

Luke knew Jesse had a point, "I do know and I know that keeping the secret a secret is largely why we've been in buisness so long. I have only asked you this once before and through out all mine and Robin's problems she never gave it away. I think Dixie, especially being a Davenport, would be loyal to us or I wouldn't have mentioned it."

Jesse wasn't sure he liked the idea but agreed to let Luke us his judgement even though he was about to question that judgement on another matter, "Luke. I'll leave it up to you. I suggest using discreation."

Luke nodded. "I will and it may not come up again, but I needed to talk to you in case it should."

Jesse finished his coffee and set the cup down, "Now, let's talk about your temper....."

Luke nodded, 'OK' as Jesse began, "...................

• 1 year later...

Luke nodded, 'OK' as Jesse began, "Luke, you know that we Dukes fight for what we believe in, and I'm proud of ya for that. But we don't fight out of a steamed temper, and we sure don't fight at the wrong time or place. I know you were justified in being mad... even justified in fighting, but we got bigger things to worry about right now."

Nodding slowly, Luke could only agree with his uncle. "I know, Uncle Jesse. And I didn't mean to cause trouble."

Jesse knew that, and Luke knew that he knew.

"Luke, just be careful," he replied, a small smile on his face. "Now, finish your coffee... You and Bo's got that load to run, and time's a-wastin'."

Luke nodded, downed the coffee, and went looking for Bo, who was comforting a hormonal, tearful Beth.

Luke knew as well as Bo and Beth did that under ordinary circumstance, Beth would have been understanding of the "family business," but that in her current state, she would cry at the drop of a hat, and the worry of Bo going to jail was too much for her.

Beth looked up at Bo, face red. "Dang it, Bo, I'm sorry," she said, shaking her head.

Bo sighed. "Honey, it's all right," he said, stroking her hair.

Luke walked in, and, being the good cousin he was, sat in the chair by their bed. "Bo, mind if I talk to her for a minute?"

"Nah," Bo replied. "I gotta finish gettin' ready."

This particular run was going through Sheriff Big Ed Little's territory, so the boys always took extra precautions, including wearing camo in case they needed to hide in the woods. Bo grabbed his camoflouged clothes and stepped into the bathroom, letting Luke's words of wisdom comfort his worried wife.

Luke looked at Beth, giving her a reassuring smile before he said, ".........

Cue Dixie

• 2 weeks later...

as he sat on the edge of hers and Bo's twin bed, "Beth, I hope you know that I've always done what I could to keep Bo out of trouble, any trouble...... This isn't just playing hide and go seek with the Sheriff, ....... we know that. Jeb, Bo and even me and Jesse may not act like it, but each time we walk out of here to do business it is just that. Oh, sure, after the work is done, the chase is chased and all is well we laugh and joke about it and have a good time. It may seem that we are making light of a real serious situation, but sometimes if you don't laugh, joke, cut up, blow off some steam and have a good time then you find you take matters far too serious. Jesse has always told us, you never get over confident or you are sure to get caught. But, there is the fip side of that, you never get too worried or you are too scared to roll with the situation and the chances of getting caught are much greater." He paused to let her think about what he'd said before continuing, "I know you are new to this, and with the baby and all you worry more than you would normally, but you could be the cause of Bo getting not just him, but Jeb, me and even Jesse caught." Luke heard Bo coming out of the bathroom and figured to let them talk a minute. He still had something to talk to Jesse about.

Luke stepped back out on the porch and saw Jesse's raised eyebrows when Luke returned without Bo. He said, "He'll be here in a few minutes."

Before Jesse could start a conversation about Beth, Luke let out a deep breath, then handed the paperwork with the terms of his probation on them to Jesse, and said, "We have other problems too."

Jesse turned to let the light from inside the house light up the paperwork then read, "You are to remain peaceful, lawabidding and sober at all times during the probationary period. You will will notify myself, Judge Hardcastle before you leave the Tri County area. ..... Just how do you plan to run this load and not break probation?"

Luke said matterof factly, "I figure on not getting caught."

"Figure again." Jesse said, "If the law all know this and are looking for you to make sure you are minding your p's and q's and see you where you ain't supposed to be, they will see them!"

Luke's eye got wide he hoped Jesse wasn't saying what it sounded like, "You don't mean to let those two go by theirselves do you?"

"Luke it could cost you, what sixty days for breaking probation or cost us all a couple years getting caught with a load of shine." Jesse stated.

He knew he should have just made the run and not told Jesse the terms of the probation! He asked, "So if I don't go, who's gonna run the shine? I'm telling you Beth has gotten Bo real worried. Jeb's never ran the load. Uncle Jesse I can't just set here and not even go with them. We're a team."

Jesse ................

Jesse looked at his nephew. Sometimes Luke was so blamed stubborn. But then again, so was Jesse, and any other Duke that was worth his or her salt. "OK, then," Jesse said. "You go, but be extra careful. More than you've ever been before."

Luke nodded. "Yes'sir Uncle Jesse... You know I will."

~**~**~**~

Beth, in the meantime was trying to hold it together, thinking about Luke's words. Brave as a soldier's wife, she stood up, squared her shoulders back, and walked over to Bo, who was dressed and ready. "You be careful, Bo Duke," she said, kissing him on the cheek. "And don't think about me, or anything else. Just get that run made, and be safe."

Bo nodded. How on earth could he not think about her? She was his everything. But she was right. He needed to concentrate on nothing but the run. "I'll do all I can," he promised, wrapping his arms around her and kissing the top of her head. "I love you, Sunshine," he whispered.

"I love you, too," she said, giving him a squeeze. "Now, go... Luke and Jeb are waitin' for ya."

Bo nodded, then.....................

~Cue Dixie~

said as he walked out the bedroom door, "Don't wait up. This is a long run." Once outside he was relieved to be on his way and not have to see anymore of Beth's tears of worry, yet he still had a large weight on his shoulders to make sure that he did indeed come home. As he walked into the living room the phone rang. Bo answered, "Duke farm."

On the other end was Luther Davenport who asked, "Bo is Luke around?"

Boreplied, "Yes, Sir, hang on a minute." then went to where Jesse and Luke were obviously having a very serious talk, "Sorry to interupt, but Luther is on the phone for Luke."

Luke shrugged his shoulders indicating he had no idea why Luther was calling for him as he went to the phone, "This is Luke."

"Luke, I know you've been cooped up for a few days and have already went on that parts run for me, but I've got a couple of jobs that me and Cooter are behind on and I just got a wrecker call. Seems the ATF is in Chickasaw County tonight and even not being chased one has managed to get stuck up. I got to go pull him out and Cooter sure could use a hand while I'm gone." Luther explained.

Luke shook his head, "I see. Let me talk to Jesse a minute. Hang on." Luke put the phone down and went back to the porch, "That's Luther."

Jesse gave him a look that said, 'I've already heard that part.'

"It seems the ATF is in Chickasaw County tonight and stuck up. He asked if I could go help Cooter." Luke said and finished explaining the rest of the conversation. He just knew Jesse would tell him to tell Luther he couldn't go that night because he was needed at home.

Jesse thought for a long minute. It seemed to him that for some reason Luke wasn't supposed to go on this run tonight, between this turn of events and the terms of the probation. Had this all came together a few months ago Jesse may have scrubbed the entire run for the night, but with the baby and the extra bills he couldn't afford to not deliver when the buyers wanted. So he said, "Luke, you go tell Luther you'll be there. Take the General Lee. I'll drive Tilley." he turned to Bo and Jeb, and added, "Ya'll go slap a set of tags on 'Blackie'." He saw the arguements about to flow from all three boys, "It's not up for discussion, we've got to go. Luke if you turn Luther down he'll know we have a run tonight."

Luke said, "But, ...."

Jesse replied, "No ' but's ' go tell him you'll be there to help Cooter."

"Yes, Sir." Luke said.

NARRARTOR: See Jesse was always obeyed by the boys. Mostly out of love, but always obeyed, even if they didn't agree with him and right now ol' Luke ain't agreeing too much.

Luke had told Luther he'd be there shortly and as he watched Jesse, Bo and Jeb pull out to make this run he couldn't have felt more helpless.

-------------

Luke arrived at the garage feeling pretty low.

Cooter seen something was wrong and asked, "Luke is there something wrong?"

Luke seen Dixie not too far away and said with a sigh, "Nah, nothing that can be helped."

Cooter shrugged off the remark and said, "Grab ya a beer and lets get this fender off here so we can get the other one on."

Luke nodded, went to the refrigerator, looked at the beer for nearly a full minute before reaching for a Pepsi as he thought 'I might just as well be back in jail as to try to not break the terms of the probation'. When Luke turned around he saw a strange look on Cooter's face when Cooter saw the Pepsi in his hand. It looked like he was either gonna have to tell some tall tales, explain the truth about the probation, or convience everyone that he'd suddenly changed and learned a whole lot from that ten days in jail...............

Luke didn't speak immediately, and was relieved when Cooter, wanting to get the work done and get to a "hot" date, shrugged and turned back to the fender.

~**~

Meanwhile, Bo was feeling a little nervous. It wasn't that he thought for one minute that Jesse wasn't 100% capable at a moonshine run... It was just like doing anything different. He and Jeb and Luke had aways done things together, and the runs were no exception. They had a system worked out, and though Jesse knew how to make moonruns better than any of them, most likely, it just didn't feel right at all.

Not to mention that he was trying harder than anything to convince himself not to worry about Beth, which only made it harder.

Clearing his throat nervously, he shifted in his seat. He'd sure be glad when it was over and he was safe in his bed again.

~Cue Dixie~

With the work at the garage done just in time for Cooter to be late picking up Beverly for their date. Luther still hadn't returned from the tow job in Chickasaw County. Cooter looked at the clock, "I'm a dead duck and I still have to take Dixie home." He said to Luke.

It was just after 9 o'clock and Luke knew it would be hours before the others returned home. He had pretty much ruled out going to the Boar's Nest because he knew Rosco as well as the other deputies by now knew he was suppose to remain sober which likely meant if he smelled a watered down beer that Rosco would say he wasn't sober. He looked at Cooter, "You go on, I'll run Dixie home. You are already late."

Cooter said, "Yeah, I am, but ain't you going out on the town tonight?" He moved closer so that Dixie couldn't hear him, "I mean first night home and all, ...... I figured that, ..... surely you'd have a sure thing lined up for tonight."

Seeing the guys talking guy talk Dixie decided to go freshen up and hope that Cooter was in too big a hurry to wait on her.

Luke smiled at Cooter and said, "Well, no I don't have anything planned for tonight so if it'll keep Beverly from being on your case I'll drop Dixie off at the house on my way home."

"I appreciate that Luke. I'll see ya tomorrow. How about locking up?" Cooter asked moving toawrds the truck.

"You got it." Luke shut and locked the garage doors as Cooter backed out.

Dixie heard Cooter back out and waited another minute or two before opening the bathroom door. When she went back into the main garage bay she saw Luke thlumbing threw one of the many car magazines on the counter, "Where did Cooter go?"

Luke replied without even looking up, "He was late picking up Beverly so I said I'd run ya home."

Dixie replied, "Good. There is no school tomorrow so we don't even have to hurry and Cooter would have gone straight home at the speed of light."

Luke opened the side door to go outside and truned off the inside lights. They both headed to the General Lee. Luke started the car and put it in gear and said, "So if you don't want to go straight home where do you want to go?"

Dixie said a bit shily, "I don't know. I figured that maybe Jeb and the band would be playing at the Boar's Nest tonight since there is no school tomorrow."

Luke answered a bit too quickly, "No, Jeb ain't at the Boar's Nest."

"So where is everyone?" Dixie asked as normal conversation.

Luke knew he'd been far too certain that Jeb wasn't at the Boar's Nest to not know where he was really at. He was glad that he'd talked to Jesse about Dixie, because it looked like he had some explaining to do. He changed the subject and hoped to avoid the rest of the conversation until he got where he was going. "How about we circle up to the lake and see if anyone is racing tonight?"

Dixie's eyes went wide, "After getting into it with Ralph Green up there?"

Luke said, "Don't worry about that with it being a week day it's likely only Brodie and Dobro will be up there." Luke knew it was even more possible that no one would be at the lake at all but he needed to talk to Dixie about the moonrunning as well as just needing someone to talk to.

Dixie replied, "You're the driver."

Luke drove to the lake and as he had expected there was no one else around. He pulled in the the wide clearing that looked over the lake and cut off the General Lee. Luke took a deep breath and let it out slowly before he turned to Dixie and began his explaination, "Dix do you remember when you were telling me about Andy Roach getting run off the road by a white pick up truck and him being in a hurry for his car?"

Dixie said, "Yeah, Agent Roach it seems is one of Dad's best customers."

"Well, I said something about him always being in a hurry to get back in the game which was a statement I thought nothing of until I saw look on your face. Before I go any further I need to ask you if you can keep a secret?"

Dixie frowned, "Yeah."

Luke went on, "I mean can you keep a secret even if you were mad at me, or Jeb or even Daisy?"

"Luke what are you talking about? I can keep a secret as good as anybody." Dixie said a bit defensively.

"Look, what I plan to tell you has been mainly a family secret for hundreds of years. Only us Dukes and a few very special friends know what I'm about to tell you and I have to ask you that even should you be mad at one of us or grow to hate one of us that you keep this secret to yourself." Luke asked.

"I can do that but what does Agent Roach have to do with a secret about you?" Dixie asked innocently.

Luke smiled. He couldn't help but love her innocence. "One of the reasons I want to tell you this secret is because like today and tonight you ride with me and I figure it only far to let you make a decision to either continue to do so or decide not to."

"Luke I like riding with you." Dixie said.

Luke nodded and continued, "Other than Dukes, Cooter and your father know what I'm about to tell you because Jesse needed your father's help before us boys and Cooter got old enough to help out much. Then, there was one other girl I've had this conversation with and believe me if there was ever a girl who likely would have liked to have ratted me out I'd say she would have liked to but, ....."

"she didn't?" Dixie asked, then added, "It was Robin wasn't it?"

"No, she didn't and 'yes' it was Robin." Luke said. "I thought it was only fair for her to know and you to know this so you can decide whether or not you want to continue to ride with me, because I could get pulled over at anytime and I figure it would be a real suprise if you were as clueless about what was going on as I've seen you be the past few days."

"Clueless? About what?" Dixie asked.

Luke said, "Remember, I'm asking you to keep this a secret."

"You have my word as a Davenport." Dixie said.

"Being as neither your father or brother has told you anything about it then that's good enough for me. You mentioned that the pickup that ran Andy Roach off the road was white and you could only think of Jesse's truck being white, and the fact that Bo, Jeb and Jesse are no where to be seen tonight. Does any of that seem strange to you?" Luke was trying to put the pieces together for Dixie.

Dixie replied, "No, not really. Should it?"

Luke answered, "No, not unless you know the rest of the story I guess. See it was likely the pickup that ran Andy Roach off the road was Jesse's......." He let that sink in before stopping the question he saw forming in her mind, "It seems Andy got just a bit to close to a hiding place of Jesse's and he had to loose him. As for the others, they aren't anywhere in Hazzard right now, ..... they are on a trip." Luke seen that even with this much information Dixie was still confussed, "Dix, we make and deliver moonshine in order to make ends meet a little better. Our family has done so for far over two hundred years. Rosco, his deputies, ATF, the revenurers, state police all prettymuch know we have a family business and know that lately Jesse ain't making the runs. It's been Bo, Jeb and me."

Dixie asked, "So why are you here tonight?"

"Largely because of the terms of my probabtion that Judge Hardacstle set, ....... I feel like I might have just as well stayed in that jail cell." Luke said with a note of anger in his voice.

On the shine run, Bo was gettin' mighty antsy. He tried to pretend it was just another run, and nothing was different, but it was, and that was just all there was to it.

Jeb knew, not as much as Bo did, but he did know, that this felt different. He wasn't sure why. But he knew that everyone was just a bit more on edge. And that made him nervous, too.

~**~**~**~

Beth, in the meanwhile, was busying herself, trying not to think about her husband out in who knew where, trying not to get himself arrested. Daisy tried to help by distracting her, but it didn't do much good.

~Cue Dixie~

"Sugar, Uncle Jesse knows what he's doing. The boys will be fine." Daisy said hoping to make Beth feel better.

"I know that, deep down, but sometimes I just can't 'feel' rational when I know I should." Beth replied as she unconsciously put here hand on her stomach.

~**~**~**~

"Luke?" Dixie replied with concern. She heard and saw the anger in him. It was just a bit frightening to see him that angry. "Surely it can't be that bad."

Luke frowned, "Well, do you think I can really be 'peaceful, lawabidding and sober at all times' to Rosco's 'standards' for SIX MONTHS?"

"Oh, jeese!" Dixie replied. She knew how hard it was for anyone to stay out of trouble in Hazzard County. "So, you really didn't answer me before, why are you out here with me tonight?"

Luke thought about his answer a long while before he replied. He knew he didn't go on the shone run because Jesse basically didn't let him and he knew he'd came up here to warn Dixie about the possibility of getting pulled over while with him, but why was he out here parked at the lake with Cooter's 'little' sister, whom he reminded himself, was not by any means three anymore. "You mean instead of being on the run tonight?"

Dixie hadn't realized that there was a run tonight anymore than she was sure that was what she was asking him but replied, "Yeah."

"Well, basically when Jesse found out about the Judge's order, he didn't want me to go, so he went." Luke realized he'd said a lot more than what he had intended to when he left the garage.

Dixie saw the strange look that came over Luke's face, "What's the matter?"

Luke shook his head and thougth long before answering, "Sometimes it's so easy to talk to you that I say more than I intended to." Luke's thoughts of all the girls he'd been thinking about while in jail. Most of them he'd never felt really comfortable talking to about to much of anything which is why he usually moved more to action than talk, but Dixie was different. What was he thinking, this was Cooter's sister for Pete's sake, "Come on I'd better get ya home before you turn into a pumkin."

"Well, I've got two feet that just might fit if you happen to have a glass slipper with you somewhere." Dixie replied.

Luke frowned, "Fresh out, broke the last one." He said as he started toward the General Lee to help her through the window.

Dixie didn't have an answer for what he said, so she kept quiet for the time being.

Luke took notice of her sudden silence, but said nothing, not quite sure what to say.

~**~**~**~

Bo was mentally ticking off the miles to the county line. He found himself being torn between nervousness at doing things differently, and being thankful that Luke wasn't here to get caught leaving the county. He definitely hated not having the General's power behind him. Granted, the moonrunners were always fast, but the General was like an old friend. He, Luke, and the machine were a team. It didn't work well to separate them.

Jeb managed to keep composed for the time, much to Bo's relief.

And the county line was getting closer.

~Cue Dixie~