I'm a Danged Fool

Beth was lying in bed wide awake. With tears streaming down her face she began to pray. "Lord, please... please keep my Bo safe. Don't take him away from me now, Lord. Please... I love him so much... God... I don't know what else to do, so I'm puttin' him in your hands."

Daisy knocked on the door softly.

Beth wiped away tears madly. "Come in," she said, softly so that Daisy couldn't hear the huskiness in her voice.

Daisy stepped into the room quietly. "You OK, honey?"

Beth nodded. "At least I think so..."

"Don't worry about Bo. He and Luke know every place anywhere near Hazzard County that's big enough to get a car through."

Beth smiled. She knew that was the truth. She just hoped that would be

enough.

Cue Dixie

BALLADEER: True the boys did know every place in Hazzard to get a car through the trouble is they are going out of the County and even State on this run!

Parked in behind the Chickasaw County sign and several bushes in a green and white patrol car is none other than Sheriff 'Big' Ed Little.

Bo is fast approaching in the General Lee. He flies by Sheriff Little without seeing him. Sheriff Little who had been out on routine patrol had decided to run radar while hoping to catch sight of a moonshine runner. His favorite sport was chasing and then catching a moonrunner. Since he started for the Sheriffs department before becoming Sheriff his biggest ambition was to catch Jesse Duke haulin' shine. It was nothing personal, he liked the man, but Sheriff Little had heard his family had made moonshine for over 200 years. Well, Jesse Duke wasn't running much these days from what Sheriff Little had heard. No, now he had his nephews running for him. Sheriff Little didn't even see the color of the car that had whizzed by him. He started the car, hit his lights and siren and pulled his very powerful patrol car onto the road just in time to see Bo's tail lights. Sheriff Little jumped on the gas and began to close in on Bo's bumper.

Bo saw the flash of the blue lights before he heard the siren, looking up to see the cruiser pull out behind him he reached for the CB mic as his heart raced, "Lost Sheep 2 to Lost Sheep 1. I have a lot of company up here!"

Luke let up off the gas as soon as he heard Bo's CB transmission. He saw Jeb reach for the mic. He said, "Let me see that I have an idea." Taking the mic Luke hurried to reply knowing Bo was not running as fast as the General could. "Lost Sheep 2 Take the left fork of the road just ahead of you. Find a wide spot and pull over. Make sure Little sees you pull over!" Tonight Luke had put Bo out front to run just far enough ahead of him that if the law was out he hoped they would jump on Bo's tail for speeding in stead on his and Jeb's.

It was sometimes like NOW that Bo had a hard time listening to Luke. He was sure Luke had a plan but had no idea what it was. The fork in the road was approaching. He took the left fork and replied, "I'm on the left fork, Little is right behind me. I could loose him."

Luke said urgently, "Just pull over in a bit. It will probably be a ticket but just do it!"

Bo sighed, "Ok. Pulling over. Be back with you in a bit."

Luke had now slowed down to under the speed limit. He took the right fork in the road and eased his way right past Sheriff Little and Bo on the other side of the hill. He was carefully kept the noise of the motor as quiet as he could, knowing that the roads weren't separated by too much. In about five miles the roads came back together.

Jeb asked, "What are you doing?"

Luke replied, "I figure that Little will be the only one out tonight in this County. If Bo has him occupied, then we go right by real easy. Bo should catch up before we hit Osage County."

~~~~~~~~~~

Sheriff Little still hadn't gotten a good look of the car in front of him as it pulled over into a wide spot. He pulled in behind the car, leaving his bluelights flash he exited the car and stood up -- all the way up!

BALLADEER: They don't call him 'BIG' Ed for nothng you know!

Bo knew Sheriff Little by reputation but had never seen him, until right now, out of his car. As he watched the mountain of a man approach, Bo asked out loud to himself, 'Luke what have you gotten me into?'

As Sheriff Little came up to the side of the car, an ORANGE car at that, he saw the '01' on the door. Keeping his eyes on Bo he saw no more of the General's markings. "What in heaven's name are you driving here? AND Why are you in such a big hurry?"

Bo quickly saw Sheriff Little had no idea who he'd just stopped. He hoped a quick shuck and jive might get him out of a ticket. The best way to shuck and jive is to put enough truth in it to make it believable. He'd have a lot of explaining to Beth when he got home if this worked but more to her and Jesse if he got a ticket. "I'm sorry about that Sheriff. See, I kinda had to get married real sudden like if you get my drift." Bo paused to let that sink in. "I have, well had, kind of another girl over in Osage County. Tonight is the first time I've had to get out and try to explain to the other girl that I got married and WHY. I figured she at least deseves a few answers face to face from me. I'm sorry to have driven so quickly I was just trying to get back before I'm missed at home." Bo layed it on thick.

Little liked the idea that the boy wanted to tell the other girl about the situation himself. He still wanted to know about the car. "So what is this thing you are driving?"

"Well, it was the only car at home. Everyone one else was gone so I had to bring the 'General Lee'."

Little questioned, "The what?"

Bo slowly pointed to the words painted above his head, "The 'General Lee'."

Confussed, Little asked, "Where are you from? And, who are you?"

Bo sighed, "I'm from Hazzard County and I'm Bo Duke."

The name Duke gave Little a lot of information. "I'm going to need you to step out here and pop your trunk." Said Sheriff Little as he now shined his flashlight into the backseat. All that was there was the backseat and a rollcage!

Bo climbed out of the car through the window and turned to go open the trunk.

Little asked, "Why climb out the window?"

Bo replied with a long sigh, "The doors don't open." He opened the trunk and saw a shocked look on Little's face.

Sheriff Little tried to cover his surprise at NOT seeing the moonshine he'd expected when he found out it was a Duke driving. Maybe the kid was telling him the truth. "You need to get those doors fixed."

"Sheriff we normally use the General Lee here for races so the doors have been welded shut." Bo explained.

Sheriff Little said, "You can't be driving a race car on the roads!"

Bo hoped his explination worked here, "Sir, it's registered and tagged, we even have insurance on it."

"What about an inspection sticker?" Little asked as he made his way around the car to check the windshield for a sticker.

"Being registered in Hazzard it's not required to have a sticker." Bo said hopefully.

Sheriff Little asked amazed, "The Hazzard Sheriff let's you run this on the roads?"

"Well, he really don't like it none but he just hasn't been able to catch us yet." said Bo.

Little caught the information that he had caught the car and the Hazzard Sheriff hadn't. Seeing the car was tagged, registered, insured and empty of moonshine, Sheriff Little feeling superior to Sheriff, ah, what is his name?..... Yeah, Coltrane. He decided to let the young man go with only a ticket for speeding. "Well, I'm going to let you be on your way just as soon as I write you this speeding ticket. Just don't drive this thing through my County again and keep it under the limit when you come back." Little warned.

Bo sighed, "Yes, Sir."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke was approaching the Osage County line when Bo radioed them. "Lost Sheep 2 to Lost Sheep 1."

Jeb answered, "You've got us."

"Have you made the line yet?" Bo asked carefully. CB's were new and they weren't sure who had them.

"Almost." Jeb answered.

"Be there in about two minutes." said Bo.

Now, Luke had the mic, "Everything OK?"

Bo replied into the CB, "Long story. But, yeah. We'll talk later." then to himself, 'Until I get home, that is!'

Luke said, "Ok. Just get up here and look alive! I hate this place." he said as he crossed the Osage County line where Colonel Cassius Clayborne ruled the County and the 'chain gang' prisons if he caught you even spitting on the sidewallks. Luke said to Jeb, "I sure hope Sheriff R.P. "Droopy" Cathcarte is at home nice and asleep! It feels like the night's temperature just dropped ten degrees!"

Cue Beth

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile, back at the Duke farm, Beth was sleeping fitfully. She was up and down all night with night sickness, and worrying about Bo. She ran her hand over her stomach. she still wasn't showing much, but she did it out of habit. She had the weirdest dreams, and it was driving her insane.

Uncle Jesse came to their room to check on her. "Are ya OK, honey?" he asked in a fatherly fashion.

"Yessir, Uncle Jesse. Just worried about Bo."

"Don't you worry 'bout him none. Bo knows what he's doing. He's smart."

"But last I heard, so was the sheriff of Osage County."

Jesse smiled. He loved this girl just like she was another neice... which meant more like a daughter to him.

"Now, trust me on this... Bo and Luke have been runnin' for me for quite a while. And they know what they're doin'. And, for one thing, Bo don't have any shine in his car. Luke had him run blocker... Now, you know why he had him run blocker?"

"So he could... Oh, Uncle Jesse, Bo wouldn't leave Luke and Jeb to get in trouble. He's got more loyalty than that."

"I know that... But Luke was just giving him the option."

Beth smiled. When Luke Duke got back, she was going to give him a big hug and thank him for at least trying to keep Bo out of trouble.

"You gonna be able to sleep now, honey?" he asked.

"Probably not, but I'll try. Baby's givin' me a fit tonight."

"Well, I'm gonna let you try. Call me if you need me."

"Thanks, Uncle Jesse."

~**~**~**~**~

Meanwhile, in Osage County...

Cue Dixie

Meanwhile, back at the Duke farm, Beth was sleeping fitfully. She was up and down all night with night sickness, and worrying about Bo. She ran her hand over her stomach. she still wasn't showing much, but she did it out of habit. She had the weirdest dreams, and it was driving her insane.

Uncle Jesse came to their room to check on her. "Are ya OK, honey?" he asked in a fatherly fashion.

"Yessir, Uncle Jesse. Just worried about Bo."

"Don't you worry 'bout him none. Bo knows what he's doing. He's smart."

"But last I heard, so was the sheriff of Osage County."

Jesse smiled. He loved this girl just like she was another neice... which meant more like a daughter to him.

"Now, trust me on this... Bo and Luke have been runnin' for me for quite a while. And they know what they're doin'. And, for one thing, Bo don't have any shine in his car. Luke had him run blocker... Now, you know why he had him run blocker?"

"So he could... Oh, Uncle Jesse, Bo wouldn't leave Luke and Jeb to get in trouble. He's got more loyalty than that."

"I know that... But Luke was just giving him the option."

Beth smiled. When Luke Duke got back, she was going to give him a big hug and thank him for at least trying to keep Bo out of trouble.

"You gonna be able to sleep now, honey?" he asked.

"Probably not, but I'll try. Baby's givin' me a fit tonight."

"Well, I'm gonna let you try. Call me if you need me."

"Thanks, Uncle Jesse."

~**~**~**~**~

Meanwhile, in Osage County...

Cue Dixie

Meanwhile, in Osage County... Bo had caught up to Luke and Jeb. Luke motioned Bo to come around him so they could go back to the original 'cat and mouse' game they had been running before running into Sheriff Little. Luke keyed the CB mic and simply said, "Same as before, ....... just take it a bit slower." then he added, "AND, ..... keep .... your eyes OPEN!"

Bo replied, "Got ya."

To Jeb, Luke said, "Keep your eyes open too! ..... I tell ya I don't like this place ..... at all."

BALLADEER: "Well, now it took the boys just over an hour to reach the other side of Osage County and I don't know who was more relieved that they had made it without any trouble ..... Them or ME!"

Bo, Luke and Jeb breathed a sigh of relief when the crossed out of Osage County. Luke figured to have smooth sailing to their drop off place in Anniston, AL. Jesse had been friends with a small time tavern owner there for years. As a matter of fact he felt he was doing his patriotic duty seeing that the service men were sold quality shine at, DeFords, the most popular bar near the Army base. Being the suppliers of such top grade shine, Luke, Jeb and Bo had never had a problem finding someone to keep company with until dawn when the local law went home. Tonight, would be different for Bo, all he was interested in was getting back to Beth. As for Luke and Jeb, well, they were having a 'good' time. Jesse's friend always managed to set the three young men up with only the best rooms as a bonus for the delivery of such top grade moonshine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just after dawn, Dixie Davenport, pulled up to the Duke farm. She found it odd that the General Lee wasn't anywhere insight at this hour. Daisy and Jesse were in the kitchen as she entered. "Mornin' all. Where's the Generel Lee?" Dixie knew the guys weren't at her house or the garage.

Cue Beth

Meanwhile, in Osage County... Bo had caught up to Luke and Jeb. Luke motioned Bo to come around him so they could go back to the original 'cat and mouse' game they had been running before running into Sheriff Little. Luke keyed the CB mic and simply said, "Same as before, ....... just take it a bit slower." then he added, "AND, ..... keep .... your eyes OPEN!"

Bo replied, "Got ya."

To Jeb, Luke said, "Keep your eyes open too! ..... I tell ya I don't like this place ..... at all."

BALLADEER: "Well, now it took the boys just over an hour to reach the other side of Osage County and I don't know who was more relieved that they had made it without any trouble ..... Them or ME!"

Bo, Luke and Jeb breathed a sigh of relief when the crossed out of Osage County. Luke figured to have smooth sailing to their drop off place in Anniston, AL. Jesse had been friends with a small time tavern owner there for years. As a matter of fact he felt he was doing his patriotic duty seeing that the service men were sold quality shine at, DeFords, the most popular bar near the Army base. Being the suppliers of such top grade shine, Luke, Jeb and Bo had never had a problem finding someone to keep company with until dawn when the local law went home. Tonight, would be different for Bo, all he was interested in was getting back to Beth. As for Luke and Jeb, well, they were having a 'good' time. Jesse's friend always managed to set the three young men up with only the best rooms as a bonus for the delivery of such top grade moonshine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just after dawn, Dixie Davenport, pulled up to the Duke farm. She found it odd that the General Lee wasn't anywhere insight at this hour. Daisy and Jesse were in the kitchen as she entered. "Mornin' all. Where's the Generel Lee?" Dixie knew the guys weren't at her house or the garage.

Cue Beth

• 4 weeks later...

Uncle Jesse smiled. "The boys had to go out early this mornin'. They took the General."

"Oh," Dixie said, thinking that the explanation was a little strange. Why would the boys be out before dawn in the General Lee? "Is Beth here?"

"Yeah," Daisy said. "She's in her room. She didn't sleep too good last night."

"She feelin' bad?" Dixie asked.

"Yeah. Kinda. Baby's givin' her a fit."

Dixie sighed. She felt sorry for her friend, though she knew that being a part of the Duke family was nothing to be sad about.

She walked down the hall and knocked on Beth's door...

Cue Dixie

Uncle Jesse smiled. "The boys had to go out early this mornin'. They took the General."

"Oh," Dixie said, thinking that the explanation was a little strange. Why would the boys be out before dawn in the General Lee? "Is Beth here?"

"Yeah," Daisy said. "She's in her room. She didn't sleep too good last night."

"She feelin' bad?" Dixie asked.

"Yeah. Kinda. Baby's givin' her a fit."

Dixie sighed. She felt sorry for her friend, though she knew that being a part of the Duke family was nothing to be sad about.

She walked down the hall and knocked on Beth's door...

Cue Dixie

She walked down the hall and knocked on Beth's door... "Beth?" she called quietly at the door.

"Come on in. I've been awake." came Beth's reply.

Dixie opened the bedroom door to find her friend looking as if she'd been awake most of the night. "Beth? Are you OK? You look really tired. How could Bo leave you to run around with Luke with you not feeling well? Where are they anyway?"

Beth wasn't sure what Dixie had been told about where the boys were and she was totally stumped for an answer. She knew she couldn't tell even here best friend where the boys really were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Early that morning found Bo behind the wheel of the General Lee, Jeb was driving Black Tilley, and a much hung over Luke road in the passenger seat of the General Lee.

Now, normally Luke might have took Bo's head off for butting into his business, but with the headache Luke had, he KNEW better than to even consider shouting at Bo. AND inside he knew he drank far more than his usual amount of alcohol last night. He had done a lot of thinking last night, the more he'd thought about his life since he and Robin had broken up and since Bo and Beth had gotten married the more he realized he'd really been messing up. The more this sunk in the more he had drunk. Then, the 'Ladies' of the establishment had started coming over with 'offers' that Luke normally might have taken. Tonight though he'd seen how this type of behavior lately might have given him a few moments of 'pleasure' but had basically done considerable damage to his 'reputation' with 'nice girls' AND more so their parents! -- though his male friends thought him VERY lucky. Luke was now beginning to see that lucky he wasn't -- he was more, for the first time in his life, lonely. Bo and Beth were not just married but were sole mates and shared their thoughts and dreams with each other and though Luke and Bo were still closure than most brothers they didn't get the chance to REALLY talk much anymore. Then their were the girls Luke had been 'dating', 'Huh! If that's what you want to call it Luke!' he silently scolded himself. he knew Bo had been right several months ago when he had said Luke had only been seeing those girls for 'one thing'. He had only been seeing these girls once maybe twice then he'd move on -- not developing a 'relationship' of any kind, which is what he had wanted for quiet sometime now. Though he now realized that he now very much missed having this type relationship with a girl.

Luke had been deep in thought when Bo asked, "Luke? I'm not trying to judge or anything and I don't mean nothing by it, ..... But didn't you hit the liquor just a bit hard last night?"

Luke groaned before answering very quietly, "Yeah, ....... Bo, ...... I guess I kind of did. ............" Luke paused for a long minute before adding, "It's just that after we'd settled up old DeFord there and we all had that one drink together you went off to your room, Jeb was being Jeb --playing pool then he got an offer to go upstairs..."

Bo had to interupt, this was getting too good, "Did he GO?"

Luke reached for his head, "Shhhhhh! and Yes, he went." Luke sighed unhappily. He hoped Jeb would have better since than to try to act like him.

"Oh, sorry!" whispered Bo. Then curiousity won as he asked again loudly, "With WHO?"

Luke shut his eyes against the pain Bo had just caused him and sighed before answering. "Paige." He steeled himself for Bo's response.

"WHAT? ....... He went SPTAIRS with Paige? But Luke you and her usually ........." Bo left the rest to the imagination.

Luke answered, "Yeah, well, I'd already told her I wasn't interested."

Bo turned and looked at Luke with total surprise, "Come again! You told her WHAT?"

Jeb broke in on the CB as Bo had sweeved badly almost running into a hugh ditch, "HEY! You awake up there?" Jeb shouted.

Luke raised up to get the CB mic, "Yeah, he's awake and the both of you are trying to kill me this morning! REMIND me not to drink heavily around you two agian!"

Jeb responded confussed, though he knew by Luke's actions this morning he was 'paying' for last night, "What? Trying to Kill you? What are you talking about?"

Luke held the CB mic out to Bo, "Here you two talk to each other. VERY quietly, please."

Bo had to laugh, "I'll tell ya later. Oh, and we have got to TALK today!" Bo stressed.

Jeb just laughed!

Bo said, "So if I was upstairs alone and Jeb was upstairs with Paige. ...... What did you do?"

Luke replied simply, "I sat at the back table thinking, drinking and just watching everyone. I hadn't been in bed more than an hour when you came knocking. You never want to come home this early."

Bo replied, "Today I have something nice and warm to go home to."

Luke nodded, "Yeah. ....... I guess you do at that." At this moment Luke envied his younger cousin possibly more than he ever had.

Bo turned into the Duke driveway very glad to be home.

She walked down the hall and knocked on Beth's door... "Beth?" she called quietly at the door.

"Come on in. I've been awake." came Beth's reply.

Dixie opened the bedroom door to find her friend looking as if she'd been awake most of the night. "Beth? Are you OK? You look really tired. How could Bo leave you to run around with Luke with you not feeling well? Where are they anyway?"

Beth wasn't sure what Dixie had been told about where the boys were and she was totally stumped for an answer. She knew she couldn't tell even here best friend where the boys really were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Early that morning found Bo behind the wheel of the General Lee, Jeb was driving Black Tilley, and a much hung over Luke road in the passenger seat of the General Lee.

Now, normally Luke might have took Bo's head off for butting into his business, but with the headache Luke had, he KNEW better than to even consider shouting at Bo. AND inside he knew he drank far more than his usual amount of alcohol last night. He had done a lot of thinking last night, the more he'd thought about his life since he and Robin had broken up and since Bo and Beth had gotten married the more he realized he'd really been messing up. The more this sunk in the more he had drunk. Then, the 'Ladies' of the establishment had started coming over with 'offers' that Luke normally might have taken. Tonight though he'd seen how this type of behavior lately might have given him a few moments of 'pleasure' but had basically done considerable damage to his 'reputation' with 'nice girls' AND more so their parents! -- though his male friends thought him VERY lucky. Luke was now beginning to see that lucky he wasn't -- he was more, for the first time in his life, lonely. Bo and Beth were not just married but were sole mates and shared their thoughts and dreams with each other and though Luke and Bo were still closure than most brothers they didn't get the chance to REALLY talk much anymore. Then their were the girls Luke had been 'dating', 'Huh! If that's what you want to call it Luke!' he silently scolded himself. he knew Bo had been right several months ago when he had said Luke had only been seeing those girls for 'one thing'. He had only been seeing these girls once maybe twice then he'd move on -- not developing a 'relationship' of any kind, which is what he had wanted for quiet sometime now. Though he now realized that he now very much missed having this type relationship with a girl.

Luke had been deep in thought when Bo asked, "Luke? I'm not trying to judge or anything and I don't mean nothing by it, ..... But didn't you hit the liquor just a bit hard last night?"

Luke groaned before answering very quietly, "Yeah, ....... Bo, ...... I guess I kind of did. ............" Luke paused for a long minute before adding, "It's just that after we'd settled up old DeFord there and we all had that one drink together you went off to your room, Jeb was being Jeb --playing pool then he got an offer to go upstairs..."

Bo had to interupt, this was getting too good, "Did he GO?"

Luke reached for his head, "Shhhhhh! and Yes, he went." Luke sighed unhappily. He hoped Jeb would have better since than to try to act like him.

"Oh, sorry!" whispered Bo. Then curiousity won as he asked again loudly, "With WHO?"

Luke shut his eyes against the pain Bo had just caused him and sighed before answering. "Paige." He steeled himself for Bo's response.

"WHAT? ....... He went SPTAIRS with Paige? But Luke you and her usually ........." Bo left the rest to the imagination.

Luke answered, "Yeah, well, I'd already told her I wasn't interested."

Bo turned and looked at Luke with total surprise, "Come again! You told her WHAT?"

Jeb broke in on the CB as Bo had sweeved badly almost running into a hugh ditch, "HEY! You awake up there?" Jeb shouted.

Luke raised up to get the CB mic, "Yeah, he's awake and the both of you are trying to kill me this morning! REMIND me not to drink heavily around you two agian!"

Jeb responded confussed, though he knew by Luke's actions this morning he was 'paying' for last night, "What? Trying to Kill you? What are you talking about?"

Luke held the CB mic out to Bo, "Here you two talk to each other. VERY quietly, please."

Bo had to laugh, "I'll tell ya later. Oh, and we have got to TALK today!" Bo stressed.

Jeb just laughed!

Bo said, "So if I was upstairs alone and Jeb was upstairs with Paige. ...... What did you do?"

Luke replied simply, "I sat at the back table thinking, drinking and just watching everyone. I hadn't been in bed more than an hour when you came knocking. You never want to come home this early."

Bo replied, "Today I have something nice and warm to go home to."

Luke nodded, "Yeah. ....... I guess you do at that." At this moment Luke envied his younger cousin possibly more than he ever had.

Bo turned into the Duke driveway very glad to be home.

Beth ran from her room, recognising the General Lee's motor.

She met Bo halfway off the porch, and was in his arms before she knew what happened. "Honey, I was so worried," she said, softly as tears of relief began to fall.

"Honey, don't cry," Bo said, brushing the tears away. "Please don't cry!" Bo knew that if Beth cried long enough, he'd be crying right along with her.

She sniffled. "I can't help it, Bo. I was so worried, and I thought you wouldn't come back."

"Honey, come he-- or highwater, I'll always come back to you. Remember that." Bo's eyes promised her that he wasn't lying. He'd fight anything or anyone to get to her if she needed him.

Dixie walked over not long after. She knew that Beth and Bo needed a minute. So she waited, then walked over to Luke and Jeb. "Hey, boys! What has y'all out so early in the morning?"

Luke looked at Jeb, who was looking to him for an answer to give the girl. "Uh..."

Cue Dixie

Beth ran from her room, recognising the General Lee's motor.

She met Bo halfway off the porch, and was in his arms before she knew what happened. "Honey, I was so worried," she said, softly as tears of relief began to fall.

"Honey, don't cry," Bo said, brushing the tears away. "Please don't cry!" Bo knew that if Beth cried long enough, he'd be crying right along with her.

She sniffled. "I can't help it, Bo. I was so worried, and I thought you wouldn't come back."

"Honey, come he-- or highwater, I'll always come back to you. Remember that." Bo's eyes promised her that he wasn't lying. He'd fight anything or anyone to get to her if she needed him.

Dixie walked over not long after. She knew that Beth and Bo needed a minute. So she waited, then walked over to Luke and Jeb. "Hey, boys! What has y'all out so early in the morning?"

Luke looked at Jeb, who was looking to him for an answer to give the girl. "Uh..."

Cue Dixie

Luke looked at Jeb, who was looking to him for an answer to give the girl. "Uh..." Luke tried to think quickly thru the fog of his hang over. "Didn't Beth tell you?"

Dixie shook her head 'no', "Ya'll pulled in right before she had the chance."

Luke was trying to come up with something believeable when he looked up as the screen door squeaked.

Seeing the faces on the five teens before him, Jesse could almost guess what was going on, so he said, "Well, did you boys catch any fish? You were sure gone early enough this morning."

Relieved, Luke answered, "Nope, we sure didn't. Not even a bite."

Dixie looked a bit puzzled, "Beth, you're crying because they went fishing?"

Luke looked at Jeb, who was looking to him for an answer to give the girl. "Uh..." Luke tried to think quickly thru the fog of his hang over. "Didn't Beth tell you?"

Dixie shook her head 'no', "Ya'll pulled in right before she had the chance."

Luke was trying to come up with something believeable when he looked up as the screen door squeaked.

Seeing the faces on the five teens before him, Jesse could almost guess what was going on, so he said, "Well, did you boys catch any fish? You were sure gone early enough this morning."

Relieved, Luke answered, "Nope, we sure didn't. Not even a bite."

Dixie looked a bit puzzled, "Beth, you're crying because they went fishing?"

Beth shook her head. "No, I'm crying because I'm the pregnant lady. It's my job. I didn't know the boys were going fishing so early, and it scared me when I woke up without Bo."

Bo shook his head. "She was just mad because she can't stand a morning without a look at my dazzling body, and my sparklin' blue eyes."

Beth shook her head. "Well, bein' married sure hasn't affected your ego, honey," she said, forcing a smile for Dixie's benefit.

Bo grinned. "Course not! My ego's very important to me."

"Sure..." Beth said, playfully swatting his chest.

Bo grinned. "You shouldn't do that, honey," he said, pulling her close for a kiss.

Luke shook his head. Who would have ever thought? He was supposed to be the smart Duke. The one with all the answers. And yet, here was his crazy wild cousin, living the good life with a good woman. And Luke was the one who'd used more girls than most people'd even known in their lives. And he was alone. And feeling it more and more keenly everytime he saw Beth give Bo that look that said she loved him.

Beth smiled, leaning into Bo's chest. Bo stood there, his chin on her head, stroking her hair, and talking with the rest like it was the most natural thing in the world. And really, for him, it was. Bo Duke had been a ladies' man since middle school.

Beth sighed as Bo tightened his arms around her protectively.

Dixie turned to Luke, then to Jesse. She wasn't stupid. She knew a shuck and jive when she heard one. And she knew a shuck and jive from the Dukes even better. But she shrugged. She figured that, for the time being, there was no point in worrying about it.

"Hey, Dixie," Beth said softly, "You wanna go shopping tonight? There's still a few things I could use in the baby's room."

Dixie replied, "....."

Cue Dixie!

Beth shook her head. "No, I'm crying because I'm the pregnant lady. It's my job. I didn't know the boys were going fishing so early, and it scared me when I woke up without Bo."

Bo shook his head. "She was just mad because she can't stand a morning without a look at my dazzling body, and my sparklin' blue eyes."

Beth shook her head. "Well, bein' married sure hasn't affected your ego, honey," she said, forcing a smile for Dixie's benefit.

Bo grinned. "Course not! My ego's very important to me."

"Sure..." Beth said, playfully swatting his chest.

Bo grinned. "You shouldn't do that, honey," he said, pulling her close for a kiss.

Luke shook his head. Who would have ever thought? He was supposed to be the smart Duke. The one with all the answers. And yet, here was his crazy wild cousin, living the good life with a good woman. And Luke was the one who'd used more girls than most people'd even known in their lives. And he was alone. And feeling it more and more keenly everytime he saw Beth give Bo that look that said she loved him.

Beth smiled, leaning into Bo's chest. Bo stood there, his chin on her head, stroking her hair, and talking with the rest like it was the most natural thing in the world. And really, for him, it was. Bo Duke had been a ladies' man since middle school.

Beth sighed as Bo tightened his arms around her protectively.

Dixie turned to Luke, then to Jesse. She wasn't stupid. She knew a shuck and jive when she heard one. And she knew a shuck and jive from the Dukes even better. But she shrugged. She figured that, for the time being, there was no point in worrying about it.

"Hey, Dixie," Beth said softly, "You wanna go shopping tonight? There's still a few things I could use in the baby's room."

Dixie replied, "....."

Cue Dixie!

Dixie replied, "Sure. Sounds like an excuse to get away from Dad and Cooter." she was hinting for an invitation to spend the night.

Beth said, "Great. What do ya say we all go in and have some breakfast that Jesse's been cooking since before dawn."

Everyone headed eagerly towards the delicious smelling food, except for Luke who said, "If it's all the same to ya'll, I think I'll grab a hot shower and join ya'll for coffee before we start the chores."

Jesse gave Luke a knowing nod, "That'll be fine Luke."

Luke headed for the shower.

Daisy looked gave Luke a questioning look, it just wasn't like any of her cousins to turn down a meal. When she got no explaination from him she looked to Bo who simply said, "Don't ask."

Jeb sighed at the thought of the chores. He too had had a long night and it was now the beginning of a longer day. "Bo, don't even think it. I've got the shower next."

BALLADEER: "See folks the really bad thing about running moonshine at night is it sure cuts into a body's sleep, cause the farm work still has to be done the next day. However, the good thing is most of it can be done when you get ready to do it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone finished up breakfast and headed to the front porch for more coffee.

As Luke came out and sat on the banister with his coffee, Jeb wasted no time in heading for the shower.

Beth suggested to Daisy who had been in the kitchen earlier when she and Dixie were talking, "Daisy, I asked Dixie to go do a little shopping later this evening would you like to come, too?"

Daisy replied, "Why sure honey. Since the boys did their thing this morning we'll do ours tonight."

"Sounds good." Beth replied.

Luke poured a second cup of coffee and asked with all but a plead, "Uncle Jesse, after the morning chores, what else are we doing today?" He was thinking but didn't say it, 'Please, nothing hard.'

Jesse had noted the ruff edges on at least two of his nephews when they had pulled in earlier, so he figured he'd have a little fun, "Well, I thought maybe we'd go out on the back forty and try to get that old stump out of there."

This was probably the one thing that Luke had not wanted to hear. He sighed.

Jesse continued, "Or we could set some of those fence poles ya'll have been dodging for the last six months."

Luke knew better than to say anything negatively about either suggestion.

"Or, we could just worry about the morning chores ......" Jesse paused for effect, "Then you all could take the pick up and get me sume 'supplies'. It won't be too long now til the garden'll be coming in and I need to stock up on some jars, and sugar and such. Then ya'll be back here in time to do the evening chores and if I don't miss my guess, I'd say by then you'll be wanting to call it a night."

Luke smiled at his Uncle. He knew Jesse knew he'd had a little much to drink last night. "I'd say your right on target as usual Uncle Jesse. Thanks."

Jesse now gave him a stern look, not missed by any of the others. "Suppose we work us in a nice LONG talk in there somewhere today too."

Wisely, Luke simply said, "Yes, Sir."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That afternoon Luke had just finished his chores when he saw Jesse setting on the porch cleaning some freshly cut rhubarb. Having a LONG talk with his Uncle Jesse was like being called to the principals office and not knowing what you'd done, but the problem was Luke was pretty dern sure what he'd done. He wiped his hands and headed toward the porch. It was better to face this now than to try to dodge it. He sat down on the steps and looked up at Jesse, "You wanted to talk to me?"

Jesse looked up seriously, "Yes. Luke I do. ........ Now, you know our family has made moonshine for over two hundred years. I've never tried to hide that from any of ya'll and I've never objected to ......"

Luke was right he knew where this was going. "To us drinking some of it, but last night I carried it quiet a bit to far."

Jesse just looked at his oldest nephew. Sometimes the boys could be harder on themselves than he'd ever be on them if he just let them talk.

"I'm sorry for coming in here like I did this morning especially with company and all." Luke was thinking of his defense but everything he was thinking he knew Jesse would shoot down. "I, ...... ah, ...... it." taking a deep breath before continueing, Luke started, "Last time was the first time in awhile that I've really looked at myself pretty hard. The fact is I didn't like what I was seeing. Ya know when I was trying to convience Bo to tell ya about the baby that we'd had some pretty heated arguements. Well, I have been thinking some lately about a couple of the things he said and I'll have to give it to him, he is right on several points. The more I thought last night, the more I drank, the more I looked at myself, the more I didn't like what I saw, and, yes, the more I drank. I'm usually the one to get them moving in the mornings when we go on a run like that. Well, this morning Bo was up really early to get back home to Beth."

Jesse interupted at this point, "And the rest is 'history' shall we say?"

Luke replied, "Right."

Jesse saw that Luke was kicking himself harder than anything he could say at this point so he figured to change the subject but he still did intend to address last night with Luke. "So how did it go last night?"

Luke looked up surprised. Jesse hadn't even fussed at him for drinking to much. "Everything went OK, except some small minor trouble in Chickasaw County."

"Ya, call any trouble with Big Ed Little 'minor trouble'?" asked Jesse.

Luke began, "Yeah, Bo was out in front running fast to draw out anybody hidding. He found Sheriff Little, who while I eased by searched the General Lee. From what I understand he wan't none to happy about the doors not opening and Bo driving a race car on 'his' roads but Bo layed on this story about 'having' to get married and having another girl he was going to try to explain things to and the General was the only car at home."

Jesse asked, "And?"

"Well, it seems Little bought the story. Told him not to be driving anything that fast in 'his' county and not to bring the General Lee back in 'his' county." Luke relayed the story to Jesse leaving out the part about the ticket.

Jesse laughed, "Well, like I've always told ya. If ya have to shuck and jive a person it's best to keep it simple and as close to the truth as ya can so's it believeable."

"That's what Bo said he done. It will, however, cost us the price of the speeding ticket that he wrote, but I figured it was better for him to get a speeding ticket than for Bo to have out ran him and let him in on our route." Luke explained.

"Well, I reckon one ticket for all the runs you boys have made ain't too bad just don't let it becoem a habit." Jesse scolded. "So, ah, Luke, what was it Bo said about you that he was right about and you're not liking? I mean it had to be pretty serious."

"Uncle Jesse, it's just that, I've always been the careful one. The one to take things really seriously, where Bo's always had this outlook that things will just 'work out'. Here he and Beth ....." Luke paused to find the right words.

"Are in a situation because they weren't careful and things are working out? Now, Luke, you know it's going to take a lot of hard work on both their parts to get them through the long haul." Jesse cautioned.

"I know that. And, believe me I wouldn't want to be in his shoes with any of the girls I've dated. ...... 'Dated?' ...... Just how can I even call it 'that'....."

Jesse was seeing where Luke going with this.

"You know what I've been up to since me and Robin broke up." Luke figured he was in it this far he'd go ahead and spell it out. "I've only went out with all those girls for one thing. I ain't proud of it. I've always been 'careful' -- I hope. But, when I see Bo and Beth, Uncle Jesse I miss seeing the look Beth gives Bo from the girls I've been with. He--, yeah, its gotten me a reputation that the guys think is cool, but I can't think of a 'decent' girl in the tri-states that would or would be able to go out with me knowing my reputation."

Jesse was glad to hear some sense coming from Luke on this matter. He hadn't approved of Luke's ways and figured it was just a stage he was going through. He was glad to see he was right. "So, what do you intend to do about it?"

"Actually, I decided a couple of weeks ago what to do. Last night was the first time I put it into action though. There's a young, ah, 'lady' that works where we deliever. She came over to the table last night with an offer and I told her I wasn't interested." Luke explained without telling that Jeb HAD taken her up on her offer. Luke figured he'd have THAT talk with Jeb later, no need to let Jesse in on it right yet.

Jesse said, "I see."

Luke continued, "I figure to lay really low for awhile and maybe I'll run into someone that we can both decide to get to know better before just hopping into the hay."

"Well, Luke, I can honestly say that I'm glad to here you thinking like this. I just hope it works." said Jesse

"Uncle Jesse did you see how Beth reacted over this run this morning? Dixie isn't blind. I'm glad you came up with the 'fish' story because I didn't know what IF anything had been said about where we were." Luke dove into the part of the conversation he dreaded.

Jesse sighed, "I saw. It'll just take her sometime to get used to all of this and of course her being with child doesn't make it any easier to deal with her emotions or to worry less. She'll come around. After all, your Mama did, and Bo's Mama did, and Daisy's Ma....."

"I get the picture." Luke said smiling. "I care about Beth and all but that's not what I'm worried about. What if Bo is to worried about what she's thinking to worry about what he should be thinking about?"

"I'll talk to them before our next run. I need those supplies to cook up a big batch before this weekend." said Jesse he saw Dixie walking up the drive way to meet Beth and Daisy for their shopping trip, "Now, you just work on your problems."

"Hi, Uncle Jesse, Luke. Is Beth or Daisy around?" Dixie asked.

Jesse replied, "I think they are out back in the garden."

"Ok, thanks. Oh, Luke, Cooter said he'd bring you the wrecker by about 6. He's looking forward to having the night off tonight. I think he has a hot date and didn't want you to forget you were driving for him tonight." Dixie said as she started for the backyard.

Luke just shook his head. He had forgotten. "The never ending day from he--." He said before realizing he'd put his voice behind his thoughts.

Jesse stood to take the rhubarb in the house. He placed his hand on his nephews shoulder and said, "Maybe everything will be calm tonight and you won't have to even leave the farm."

A calm night in Hazzard? Luke was scared to even think that way as tired as he was. That would almost guarantee a bad night!

Cue Beth

Dixie replied, "Sure. Sounds like an excuse to get away from Dad and Cooter." she was hinting for an invitation to spend the night.

Beth said, "Great. What do ya say we all go in and have some breakfast that Jesse's been cooking since before dawn."

Everyone headed eagerly towards the delicious smelling food, except for Luke who said, "If it's all the same to ya'll, I think I'll grab a hot shower and join ya'll for coffee before we start the chores."

Jesse gave Luke a knowing nod, "That'll be fine Luke."

Luke headed for the shower.

Daisy looked gave Luke a questioning look, it just wasn't like any of her cousins to turn down a meal. When she got no explaination from him she looked to Bo who simply said, "Don't ask."

Jeb sighed at the thought of the chores. He too had had a long night and it was now the beginning of a longer day. "Bo, don't even think it. I've got the shower next."

BALLADEER: "See folks the really bad thing about running moonshine at night is it sure cuts into a body's sleep, cause the farm work still has to be done the next day. However, the good thing is most of it can be done when you get ready to do it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone finished up breakfast and headed to the front porch for more coffee.

As Luke came out and sat on the banister with his coffee, Jeb wasted no time in heading for the shower.

Beth suggested to Daisy who had been in the kitchen earlier when she and Dixie were talking, "Daisy, I asked Dixie to go do a little shopping later this evening would you like to come, too?"

Daisy replied, "Why sure honey. Since the boys did their thing this morning we'll do ours tonight."

"Sounds good." Beth replied.

Luke poured a second cup of coffee and asked with all but a plead, "Uncle Jesse, after the morning chores, what else are we doing today?" He was thinking but didn't say it, 'Please, nothing hard.'

Jesse had noted the ruff edges on at least two of his nephews when they had pulled in earlier, so he figured he'd have a little fun, "Well, I thought maybe we'd go out on the back forty and try to get that old stump out of there."

This was probably the one thing that Luke had not wanted to hear. He sighed.

Jesse continued, "Or we could set some of those fence poles ya'll have been dodging for the last six months."

Luke knew better than to say anything negatively about either suggestion.

"Or, we could just worry about the morning chores ......" Jesse paused for effect, "Then you all could take the pick up and get me sume 'supplies'. It won't be too long now til the garden'll be coming in and I need to stock up on some jars, and sugar and such. Then ya'll be back here in time to do the evening chores and if I don't miss my guess, I'd say by then you'll be wanting to call it a night."

Luke smiled at his Uncle. He knew Jesse knew he'd had a little much to drink last night. "I'd say your right on target as usual Uncle Jesse. Thanks."

Jesse now gave him a stern look, not missed by any of the others. "Suppose we work us in a nice LONG talk in there somewhere today too."

Wisely, Luke simply said, "Yes, Sir."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That afternoon Luke had just finished his chores when he saw Jesse setting on the porch cleaning some freshly cut rhubarb. Having a LONG talk with his Uncle Jesse was like being called to the principals office and not knowing what you'd done, but the problem was Luke was pretty dern sure what he'd done. He wiped his hands and headed toward the porch. It was better to face this now than to try to dodge it. He sat down on the steps and looked up at Jesse, "You wanted to talk to me?"

Jesse looked up seriously, "Yes. Luke I do. ........ Now, you know our family has made moonshine for over two hundred years. I've never tried to hide that from any of ya'll and I've never objected to ......"

Luke was right he knew where this was going. "To us drinking some of it, but last night I carried it quiet a bit to far."

Jesse just looked at his oldest nephew. Sometimes the boys could be harder on themselves than he'd ever be on them if he just let them talk.

"I'm sorry for coming in here like I did this morning especially with company and all." Luke was thinking of his defense but everything he was thinking he knew Jesse would shoot down. "I, ...... ah, ...... it." taking a deep breath before continueing, Luke started, "Last time was the first time in awhile that I've really looked at myself pretty hard. The fact is I didn't like what I was seeing. Ya know when I was trying to convience Bo to tell ya about the baby that we'd had some pretty heated arguements. Well, I have been thinking some lately about a couple of the things he said and I'll have to give it to him, he is right on several points. The more I thought last night, the more I drank, the more I looked at myself, the more I didn't like what I saw, and, yes, the more I drank. I'm usually the one to get them moving in the mornings when we go on a run like that. Well, this morning Bo was up really early to get back home to Beth."

Jesse interupted at this point, "And the rest is 'history' shall we say?"

Luke replied, "Right."

Jesse saw that Luke was kicking himself harder than anything he could say at this point so he figured to change the subject but he still did intend to address last night with Luke. "So how did it go last night?"

Luke looked up surprised. Jesse hadn't even fussed at him for drinking to much. "Everything went OK, except some small minor trouble in Chickasaw County."

"Ya, call any trouble with Big Ed Little 'minor trouble'?" asked Jesse.

Luke began, "Yeah, Bo was out in front running fast to draw out anybody hidding. He found Sheriff Little, who while I eased by searched the General Lee. From what I understand he wan't none to happy about the doors not opening and Bo driving a race car on 'his' roads but Bo layed on this story about 'having' to get married and having another girl he was going to try to explain things to and the General was the only car at home."

Jesse asked, "And?"

"Well, it seems Little bought the story. Told him not to be driving anything that fast in 'his' county and not to bring the General Lee back in 'his' county." Luke relayed the story to Jesse leaving out the part about the ticket.

Jesse laughed, "Well, like I've always told ya. If ya have to shuck and jive a person it's best to keep it simple and as close to the truth as ya can so's it believeable."

"That's what Bo said he done. It will, however, cost us the price of the speeding ticket that he wrote, but I figured it was better for him to get a speeding ticket than for Bo to have out ran him and let him in on our route." Luke explained.

"Well, I reckon one ticket for all the runs you boys have made ain't too bad just don't let it becoem a habit." Jesse scolded. "So, ah, Luke, what was it Bo said about you that he was right about and you're not liking? I mean it had to be pretty serious."

"Uncle Jesse, it's just that, I've always been the careful one. The one to take things really seriously, where Bo's always had this outlook that things will just 'work out'. Here he and Beth ....." Luke paused to find the right words.

"Are in a situation because they weren't careful and things are working out? Now, Luke, you know it's going to take a lot of hard work on both their parts to get them through the long haul." Jesse cautioned.

"I know that. And, believe me I wouldn't want to be in his shoes with any of the girls I've dated. ...... 'Dated?' ...... Just how can I even call it 'that'....."

Jesse was seeing where Luke going with this.

"You know what I've been up to since me and Robin broke up." Luke figured he was in it this far he'd go ahead and spell it out. "I've only went out with all those girls for one thing. I ain't proud of it. I've always been 'careful' -- I hope. But, when I see Bo and Beth, Uncle Jesse I miss seeing the look Beth gives Bo from the girls I've been with. He--, yeah, its gotten me a reputation that the guys think is cool, but I can't think of a 'decent' girl in the tri-states that would or would be able to go out with me knowing my reputation."

Jesse was glad to hear some sense coming from Luke on this matter. He hadn't approved of Luke's ways and figured it was just a stage he was going through. He was glad to see he was right. "So, what do you intend to do about it?"

"Actually, I decided a couple of weeks ago what to do. Last night was the first time I put it into action though. There's a young, ah, 'lady' that works where we deliever. She came over to the table last night with an offer and I told her I wasn't interested." Luke explained without telling that Jeb HAD taken her up on her offer. Luke figured he'd have THAT talk with Jeb later, no need to let Jesse in on it right yet.

Jesse said, "I see."

Luke continued, "I figure to lay really low for awhile and maybe I'll run into someone that we can both decide to get to know better before just hopping into the hay."

"Well, Luke, I can honestly say that I'm glad to here you thinking like this. I just hope it works." said Jesse

"Uncle Jesse did you see how Beth reacted over this run this morning? Dixie isn't blind. I'm glad you came up with the 'fish' story because I didn't know what IF anything had been said about where we were." Luke dove into the part of the conversation he dreaded.

Jesse sighed, "I saw. It'll just take her sometime to get used to all of this and of course her being with child doesn't make it any easier to deal with her emotions or to worry less. She'll come around. After all, your Mama did, and Bo's Mama did, and Daisy's Ma....."

"I get the picture." Luke said smiling. "I care about Beth and all but that's not what I'm worried about. What if Bo is to worried about what she's thinking to worry about what he should be thinking about?"

"I'll talk to them before our next run. I need those supplies to cook up a big batch before this weekend." said Jesse he saw Dixie walking up the drive way to meet Beth and Daisy for their shopping trip, "Now, you just work on your problems."

"Hi, Uncle Jesse, Luke. Is Beth or Daisy around?" Dixie asked.

Jesse replied, "I think they are out back in the garden."

"Ok, thanks. Oh, Luke, Cooter said he'd bring you the wrecker by about 6. He's looking forward to having the night off tonight. I think he has a hot date and didn't want you to forget you were driving for him tonight." Dixie said as she started for the backyard.

Luke just shook his head. He had forgotten. "The never ending day from he--." He said before realizing he'd put his voice behind his thoughts.

Jesse stood to take the rhubarb in the house. He placed his hand on his nephews shoulder and said, "Maybe everything will be calm tonight and you won't have to even leave the farm."

A calm night in Hazzard? Luke was scared to even think that way as tired as he was. That would almost guarantee a bad night!

Cue Beth

Beth was out in the garden when Dixie came around from the front yard. "Hey, honey!" she said, picking another ear of corn.

"Hey," Dixie said with a smile. "Are we goin' soon?" she asked.

Beth smiled. "Just as soon as me and Daisy get done here."

Dixie pitched in and they got all the corn in. They all went inside so that Daisy and Beth could wash up and get ready to go.

~*~*~*~*~

While the girls were getting ready, Luke was having a talk with a very cocky and headstrong Jeb Stuart Duke. "Jeb, just what the he-- are you trying to prove?" he said, staring his cousin down.

"Just WHO the he-- made you my father?" Jeb shot back.

"I'm not tryin' to be your father!" Luke replied angrily. "I'm just tryin' to keep you from makin' an @$$ out of yourself!"

"What, like you?" Jeb replied. "At least I ain't been with every girl in the county, married or not."

Luke shook his head. He'd done alot of things in his time, but adultery was NOT one of them. "You better watch it, Jeb!" he said. "There's some things you don't say..."

"Oh, come on, Luke," Jeb said, trying to reason with his cousin. "I'm a Duke! You expect me to beat Enos's record?" he added, referring to Enos's being the "oldest virgin in Hazzard County."

Luke sighed. "Would that be such a bad thing?" he asked, his voice full of regret.

"Luke, this ain't you!" Jeb said, disappointed in his cousin.

"Yes, it is," Luke replied. "The fella who's done everything with every girl in Hazzard... and some outside... THAT'S not me."

Jeb turned his back to Luke. "Don't talk to me, Luke. You're just a da-- hypocrite."

Luke started to get angry, but then, he just hung his head. "You're right, Jeb," he said sadly. "You're exactly right."

Jeb looked at his cousin, and immediately felt a pang of guilt for what he'd said. "Sorry, Luke," he said, sincerely.

"If anybody should be sorry," Luke said, "It's me. I'm the one who's been setting the example. I'm the one who made it look like love's just a three letter word... Just a one-night stand. If I'd been better about these things, maybe Bo and Beth wouldn't be in such a mess. And maybe you'd quit runnin' around like a..."

"Luke," Jeb said, touched by his cousin's honesty, but far too proud to admit it. "Thanks... but no thanks... I happen to like Paige."

"More than Lisa?" Luke asked angrily, striking a nerve.

"I don't recall the part where this became any of your business!" Jeb snapped.

"What's gotten into you, Jeb?" Luke yelled, immediately kicking himself for being so loud. "We're family. And family helps each other!"

"Well, I'm sick of your 'help'! And Bo's too!" Jeb stamped his foot without meaning to. "You, Bo, Uncle Jesse... All of you! I'm not 10 anymore! Quit making me be!"

Luke shook his head. "Fine. Just don't blame me when you get ready to settle down and no decent girl will touch you with a 10 foot pole.

Jeb glared at Luke, pulled on his boots, and stormed downstairs.

~*~*~*~*~

Bo, who had been sitting in the livingroom with Uncle Jesse, heard Jeb

stomping down the stairs, and...

Cue Dixie

Beth was out in the garden when Dixie came around from the front yard. "Hey, honey!" she said, picking another ear of corn.

"Hey," Dixie said with a smile. "Are we goin' soon?" she asked.

Beth smiled. "Just as soon as me and Daisy get done here."

Dixie pitched in and they got all the corn in. They all went inside so that Daisy and Beth could wash up and get ready to go.

~*~*~*~*~

While the girls were getting ready, Luke was having a talk with a very cocky and headstrong Jeb Stuart Duke. "Jeb, just what the he-- are you trying to prove?" he said, staring his cousin down.

"Just WHO the he-- made you my father?" Jeb shot back.

"I'm not tryin' to be your father!" Luke replied angrily. "I'm just tryin' to keep you from makin' an @$$ out of yourself!"

"What, like you?" Jeb replied. "At least I ain't been with every girl in the county, married or not."

Luke shook his head. He'd done alot of things in his time, but adultery was NOT one of them. "You better watch it, Jeb!" he said. "There's some things you don't say..."

"Oh, come on, Luke," Jeb said, trying to reason with his cousin. "I'm a Duke! You expect me to beat Enos's record?" he added, referring to Enos's being the "oldest virgin in Hazzard County."

Luke sighed. "Would that be such a bad thing?" he asked, his voice full of regret.

"Luke, this ain't you!" Jeb said, disappointed in his cousin.

"Yes, it is," Luke replied. "The fella who's done everything with every girl in Hazzard... and some outside... THAT'S not me."

Jeb turned his back to Luke. "Don't talk to me, Luke. You're just a da-- hypocrite."

Luke started to get angry, but then, he just hung his head. "You're right, Jeb," he said sadly. "You're exactly right."

Jeb looked at his cousin, and immediately felt a pang of guilt for what he'd said. "Sorry, Luke," he said, sincerely.

"If anybody should be sorry," Luke said, "It's me. I'm the one who's been setting the example. I'm the one who made it look like love's just a three letter word... Just a one-night stand. If I'd been better about these things, maybe Bo and Beth wouldn't be in such a mess. And maybe you'd quit runnin' around like a..."

"Luke," Jeb said, touched by his cousin's honesty, but far too proud to admit it. "Thanks... but no thanks... I happen to like Paige."

"More than Lisa?" Luke asked angrily, striking a nerve.

"I don't recall the part where this became any of your business!" Jeb snapped.

"What's gotten into you, Jeb?" Luke yelled, immediately kicking himself for being so loud. "We're family. And family helps each other!"

"Well, I'm sick of your 'help'! And Bo's too!" Jeb stamped his foot without meaning to. "You, Bo, Uncle Jesse... All of you! I'm not 10 anymore! Quit making me be!"

Luke shook his head. "Fine. Just don't blame me when you get ready to settle down and no decent girl will touch you with a 10 foot pole.

Jeb glared at Luke, pulled on his boots, and stormed downstairs.

~*~*~*~*~

Bo, who had been sitting in the livingroom with Uncle Jesse, heard Jeb

stomping down the stairs, and...

Cue Dixie

Bo, who had been sitting in the living room with Uncle Jesse, heard Jeb stomping down the stairs, and... knew before Jeb reached the living room this wasn't going to be pretty.

Jesse folded his paper slowly, as Jeb prepared to exit the house he said in a low but powerful voice, "Jeb Duke. You turn right around here, and explain to ME your disrepect in OUR home."

Jeb was furious with Luke and had let his anger rule his actions but disrepecting Uncle Jesse anywhere was out of the question let along in Jesse's house. Jeb stopped in his tracks. He still had his hand on the door a split second before he intended to slam open on his way out. He closed his eyes. Bit his lip and turned to face Uncle Jesse. Swollowing hard he said, "I'm sorry Uncle Jesse. It won't happen again. Luke was pushing my buttons."

Luke was just walking into the living room.

Jesse looked from Jeb to Luke and asked, "Luke. Jeb here says your 'pushing his buttons'. Is that so?" Jesse knew that 'his' kids had only lied ONCE to him and he didn't figure Luke making that same mistake again after the last time resulting in the General Lee's keys being taken for over two days.

Luke had sure learned his lesson from the last time and didn't plan on loosing his keys again, but he wouldn't tell on Jeb either. It was a bond the cousins shared but though you might have to lie to someone else this family knew better than to lie to each other. "Yes, Sir. I probably was pushing his buttons a bit and I aplogize for doing it in the house and causing him to make such a comotion in the house."

Jesse waited for Luke to continue but he didn't. "Well, do you care to let me in on what the subject of the matter was?"

Luke looked to Jeb who had visibly paled, then to Bo who looked like he wanted out of this room before Jesse realized he was still there, then to his Uncle who was NOT patiently waiting for an answer. "No, Sir. I think that is something that would be better coming from Jeb himself."

Jeb looked shocked. He knew they had always promised each other they wouldn't tell on the other, but Jeb had never been in the situation with Luke knowing something really serious on him. He was sure that Luke would think it was for his best interest and tell Jesse. Jeb, now, almost wished Luke had told -- it would have saved him from telling.

Jesse looked to Jeb, "Well, son?"

Jeb cleared his throat. Then said, "He's trying to tell me WHO I can or can't date."

Luke said with an unhappy smile, "Date! That's NOT what I'd call it Jeb. That's what I was trying to explain to you." he sighed, "Jesse I was trying to tell him a 'free' roll in the hay with your girlfriend was 'better' than a 'paid' one with a 'business girl'." Luke said without telling that Jeb had taken up the 'offer' he'd refused the night before. And to be quiet truthful, all Luke knew for sure was that Jeb and Paige went up the steps together. What did or did not happen was for only them to know.

Jesse looked at 'his three boys'......

Bo, who had been sitting in the living room with Uncle Jesse, heard Jeb stomping down the stairs, and... knew before Jeb reached the living room this wasn't going to be pretty.

Jesse folded his paper slowly, as Jeb prepared to exit the house he said in a low but powerful voice, "Jeb Duke. You turn right around here, and explain to ME your disrepect in OUR home."

Jeb was furious with Luke and had let his anger rule his actions but disrepecting Uncle Jesse anywhere was out of the question let along in Jesse's house. Jeb stopped in his tracks. He still had his hand on the door a split second before he intended to slam open on his way out. He closed his eyes. Bit his lip and turned to face Uncle Jesse. Swollowing hard he said, "I'm sorry Uncle Jesse. It won't happen again. Luke was pushing my buttons."

Luke was just walking into the living room.

Jesse looked from Jeb to Luke and asked, "Luke. Jeb here says your 'pushing his buttons'. Is that so?" Jesse knew that 'his' kids had only lied ONCE to him and he didn't figure Luke making that same mistake again after the last time resulting in the General Lee's keys being taken for over two days.

Luke had sure learned his lesson from the last time and didn't plan on loosing his keys again, but he wouldn't tell on Jeb either. It was a bond the cousins shared but though you might have to lie to someone else this family knew better than to lie to each other. "Yes, Sir. I probably was pushing his buttons a bit and I aplogize for doing it in the house and causing him to make such a comotion in the house."

Jesse waited for Luke to continue but he didn't. "Well, do you care to let me in on what the subject of the matter was?"

Luke looked to Jeb who had visibly paled, then to Bo who looked like he wanted out of this room before Jesse realized he was still there, then to his Uncle who was NOT patiently waiting for an answer. "No, Sir. I think that is something that would be better coming from Jeb himself."

Jeb looked shocked. He knew they had always promised each other they wouldn't tell on the other, but Jeb had never been in the situation with Luke knowing something really serious on him. He was sure that Luke would think it was for his best interest and tell Jesse. Jeb, now, almost wished Luke had told -- it would have saved him from telling.

Jesse looked to Jeb, "Well, son?"

Jeb cleared his throat. Then said, "He's trying to tell me WHO I can or can't date."

Luke said with an unhappy smile, "Date! That's NOT what I'd call it Jeb. That's what I was trying to explain to you." he sighed, "Jesse I was trying to tell him a 'free' roll in the hay with your girlfriend was 'better' than a 'paid' one with a 'business girl'." Luke said without telling that Jeb had taken up the 'offer' he'd refused the night before. And to be quiet truthful, all Luke knew for sure was that Jeb and Paige went up the steps together. What did or did not happen was for only them to know.

Jesse looked at 'his three boys'......

Jesse looked at 'his three boys'. "Now, boys!" he said, angrily. "We Dukes have never held to payin' for a lady's company." He smiled just a bit. "We've never had to, far as I could tell." He shook his head. "So, Jeb, Luke's right about that. But either way, we'll have no disrespectin' each other in this house."

Jeb nodded. "Yessir, Uncle Jesse."

Luke agreed. Both boys knew that Jesse had said his piece, and as far as him, the case was closed. But Luke knew how hardheaded Jeb could be. And Jeb knew that Luke wouldn't let this thing die. All three boys went to do their chores. Coy and Vance would have been helping, but had been talked into doing the morning housework by the girls.

A little later, Daisy, Dixie, and Beth came down stairs, ready to go. Luke watched Beth watching Bo, and again felt the heartache that came from thinking about the things he'd done. Unfortunately, he was too deep in thought to notice that Beth wasn't the only one sending a loving look in the direction of a Duke boy.

Cue Dixie.

Jesse looked at 'his three boys'. "Now, boys!" he said, angrily. "We Dukes have never held to payin' for a lady's company." He smiled just a bit. "We've never had to, far as I could tell." He shook his head. "So, Jeb, Luke's right about that. But either way, we'll have no disrespectin' each other in this house."

Jeb nodded. "Yessir, Uncle Jesse."

Luke agreed. Both boys knew that Jesse had said his piece, and as far as him, the case was closed. But Luke knew how hardheaded Jeb could be. And Jeb knew that Luke wouldn't let this thing die. All three boys went to do their chores. Coy and Vance would have been helping, but had been talked into doing the morning housework by the girls.

A little later, Daisy, Dixie, and Beth came down stairs, ready to go. Luke watched Beth watching Bo, and again felt the heartache that came from thinking about the things he'd done. Unfortunately, he was too deep in thought to notice that Beth wasn't the only one sending a loving look in the direction of a Duke boy.

Cue Dixie.

Dixie gazed at the oldest Duke boy full of wonder and a good helping of a teenaged crush. Even though she had captured his attention once at the Boar's Nest for a dance she thought he was just being another 'big brother' to her. She had made a little money working at the garage and intended to do some shopping of her own while Beth was shopping for baby things. She was younger than Beth or Daisy and in no way wanted to end up in Beth's situation and she considered herself a 'good girl' but she wasn't too sure she could refuse on certain Duke boy should the situation present it's self. But Dixie was sure that Luke only thought of her as Cooter's little sister. Why else would he have given her the nickname that had haunted her since her arrival in Hazzard, 'Kiddo' she thought. Yes, that's all she was or would ever be to Luke Duke and her daydreams about him would never get a chance because for one he thought of her as a kid and secondly her father would NEVER let her date him. Even she had heard about his 'reputaion' with girls -- though he never seemed like that around her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo said to Beth, "Ya'll be sure to be real careful this evening. I love you."

Beth answered for all to hear, "I love ya too Bo. We won't be gone real late. Just going to do a bit of shopping and maybe get something to eat."

Bo replied, "Take your time, Honey. I'll be right here. I'm still tired after that 'fishing' trip this morning."

Beth just smmiled as she turned to leave the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke said, "I'm going to stretch out for a bit. Yell at me when they call for the wrecker."

Bo replied innocently, "Well, there's always the chance that you won't get a call."

Luke replied flatly, "There was that chance until YOU just said THAT. Thanks BO."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't 45 minutes later the phone rang. It ws May Belle the operator redirecting the call for the wrecker from the garage to the Duke farm.

Bo answered the ringing phone. "Duke Farm. Yeah, he's here. Where at? I'll tell him." Bo went to the room he and Luke had shared until he and Beth had gotten married, "Luke."

"Sh--! What?" replied a sleepy Luke.

"Rosco's in Hazzard pond again." Bo said quietly. "May Belle just called."

Luke sat up and reached for his jeans. Yes this was the never ending day from he--! He thought.