I'm a Danged Fool

Dixie gazed at the oldest Duke boy full of wonder and a good helping of a teenaged crush. Even though she had captured his attention once at the Boar's Nest for a dance she thought he was just being another 'big brother' to her. She had made a little money working at the garage and intended to do some shopping of her own while Beth was shopping for baby things. She was younger than Beth or Daisy and in no way wanted to end up in Beth's situation and she considered herself a 'good girl' but she wasn't too sure she could refuse on certain Duke boy should the situation present it's self. But Dixie was sure that Luke only thought of her as Cooter's little sister. Why else would he have given her the nickname that had haunted her since her arrival in Hazzard, 'Kiddo' she thought. Yes, that's all she was or would ever be to Luke Duke and her daydreams about him would never get a chance because for one he thought of her as a kid and secondly her father would NEVER let her date him. Even she had heard about his 'reputaion' with girls -- though he never seemed like that around her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo said to Beth, "Ya'll be sure to be real careful this evening. I love you."

Beth answered for all to hear, "I love ya too Bo. We won't be gone real late. Just going to do a bit of shopping and maybe get something to eat."

Bo replied, "Take your time, Honey. I'll be right here. I'm still tired after that 'fishing' trip this morning."

Beth just smmiled as she turned to leave the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke said, "I'm going to stretch out for a bit. Yell at me when they call for the wrecker."

Bo replied innocently, "Well, there's always the chance that you won't get a call."

Luke replied flatly, "There was that chance until YOU just said THAT. Thanks BO."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't 45 minutes later the phone rang. It ws May Belle the operator redirecting the call for the wrecker from the garage to the Duke farm.

Bo answered the ringing phone. "Duke Farm. Yeah, he's here. Where at? I'll tell him." Bo went to the room he and Luke had shared until he and Beth had gotten married, "Luke."

"Sh--! What?" replied a sleepy Luke.

"Rosco's in Hazzard pond again." Bo said quietly. "May Belle just called."

Luke sat up and reached for his jeans. Yes this was the never ending day from he--! He thought.

Luke pulled his jeans on and went downstairs. Bo tried not to smile at his cousin. Once Luke was gone, Bo went to talk to Uncle Jesse. He'd had some things on his mind, and knew that there was nothing like the old man's wisdom to help him out.

Jesse was in the kitchen, mopping up behind Coy and Vance who'd done no more than hit it with a lick and a promise. "Uncle Jesse?" Bo said softly.

"Yeah?" Jesse said, smiling at his nephew.

"I gotta talk to you. I mean, I woulda talked to Luke, but there's some things even Luke don't know."

Jesse nodded. "Time is a good teacher. And experience is the best."

"Well, Uncle Jesse, I know you helped take care of me and Luke and Daisy when we were babies and all... And you didn't have none of your own, but you still know alot about 'em... Dontcha?"

Jesse smiled. "Yes, Bo. I know enough."

"Well, Uncle Jesse... I don't know nothin' about babies... Except what we learned in Health, and that was 4 years ago."

Jesse nodded. "Well, what they teach you in them classes don't amount to much. Every baby's different and special. And every baby needs to be took care of a little different."

Bo sighed. "I was afraid of that. I don't know nothin' about takin' care of babies or anything!"

Jesse walked over to Bo, who was sitting in a kitchen chair, and patted his shoulder. "You'll learn, Bo," he said. "And I'll be beside ya, and Beth will. And believe me, most mamas take to it pretty quick."

Bo smiled. Leave it to Jesse to make him feel better.

~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, in town...

Cue Dixie

Luke pulled his jeans on and went downstairs. Bo tried not to smile at his cousin. Once Luke was gone, Bo went to talk to Uncle Jesse. He'd had some things on his mind, and knew that there was nothing like the old man's wisdom to help him out.

Jesse was in the kitchen, mopping up behind Coy and Vance who'd done no more than hit it with a lick and a promise. "Uncle Jesse?" Bo said softly.

"Yeah?" Jesse said, smiling at his nephew.

"I gotta talk to you. I mean, I woulda talked to Luke, but there's some things even Luke don't know."

Jesse nodded. "Time is a good teacher. And experience is the best."

"Well, Uncle Jesse, I know you helped take care of me and Luke and Daisy when we were babies and all... And you didn't have none of your own, but you still know alot about 'em... Dontcha?"

Jesse smiled. "Yes, Bo. I know enough."

"Well, Uncle Jesse... I don't know nothin' about babies... Except what we learned in Health, and that was 4 years ago."

Jesse nodded. "Well, what they teach you in them classes don't amount to much. Every baby's different and special. And every baby needs to be took care of a little different."

Bo sighed. "I was afraid of that. I don't know nothin' about takin' care of babies or anything!"

Jesse walked over to Bo, who was sitting in a kitchen chair, and patted his shoulder. "You'll learn, Bo," he said. "And I'll be beside ya, and Beth will. And believe me, most mamas take to it pretty quick."

Bo smiled. Leave it to Jesse to make him feel better.

~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, in town...

Cue Dixie

Meanwhile, in town... Luke had pulled Rosco out of the pond and was unhooking the soaked cruiser beside Cooter's Garage. "Cooter should have you running as good as new by tomorrow, Sheriff."

"Are you sure it weren't you or that danged cousin of yours that ran me in the pond?" asked a soaking wet Rosco P. Coltrane.

"No, Sir. You can ask Uncle Jesse or May Belle. We were right at the farm when the call came in." said Luke sincerely.

Rosco said, "Well, you just be sure you don't have any part in running me off the road again."

"Sheriff, I only want to go home and not be called out again." said a very tired Luke Duke.

Rosco noted the tiredness in the young mans voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Luke drove home a familar set of head lights came inot his rear view mirror. I was Beth and the girls.

Meanwhile, in town... Luke had pulled Rosco out of the pond and was unhooking the soaked cruiser beside Cooter's Garage. "Cooter should have you running as good as new by tomorrow, Sheriff."

"Are you sure it weren't you or that danged cousin of yours that ran me in the pond?" asked a soaking wet Rosco P. Coltrane.

"No, Sir. You can ask Uncle Jesse or May Belle. We were right at the farm when the call came in." said Luke sincerely.

Rosco said, "Well, you just be sure you don't have any part in running me off the road again."

"Sheriff, I only want to go home and not be called out again." said a very tired Luke Duke.

Rosco noted the tiredness in the young mans voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Luke drove home a familar set of head lights came inot his rear view mirror. I was Beth and the girls.

Beth smiled when she noticed Luke in front of her. She picked up the CB and said, "Sunshine to Lost Sheep 1. What brings you out tonight?"

Luke replied. "Rosco. 'Nuff said."

Beth laughed. "Has my husband been behaving himself?"

Luke laughed back, "Bo? Never."

Dixie grinned. She loved just to hear the sound of Luke's voice. He was such a great guy. she just knew it. No matter what people said about him. But she also knew that he was too old for her, and that if she ever went out with him, the sh-- would hit the fan with Luther. So she just kept her dreams to herself.

Beth was just following Luke back to the farm, when all of a sudden...

Cue Dixie

Beth smiled when she noticed Luke in front of her. She picked up the CB and said, "Sunshine to Lost Sheep 1. What brings you out tonight?"

Luke replied. "Rosco. 'Nuff said."

Beth laughed. "Has my husband been behaving himself?"

Luke laughed back, "Bo? Never."

Dixie grinned. She loved just to hear the sound of Luke's voice. He was such a great guy. she just knew it. No matter what people said about him. But she also knew that he was too old for her, and that if she ever went out with him, the sh-- would hit the fan with Luther. So she just kept her dreams to herself.

Beth was just following Luke back to the farm, when all of a sudden...

Cue Dixie

Beth was just following Luke back to the farm, when all of a sudden... one of Beth's front tires blew. Being a front tire she had little control of the Camero. Luke had rounded the curve ahead and didn't see her fight the car for control as best she could while trying to slow down before she hit the ditch.

As she hit the ditch Beth's head hit the driver's side window, temporarily stunning her. They had been going just fast enough that the impact with the ditch caused Daisy to also hit her head on the front windshield.

As the car came to a sudden stop Dixie realized that both her friends were unconsious. Being only 15 at the time Dixie decided quickly she needed someone else to help her friends. She leaned up front and grabbed the CB, "Little Shotgun to Lost Sheep 1. We have a problem back here."

Luke sighed, "Ok I'm turning around."

~~~~~~~~~~

Luke didn't expect the problem they'd had to be what he found. Dixie was out of the car and trying to get Beth to talk to her. Daisy had started to come around. Luke said as he reached the drivers side, "See about Daisy. Beth. Hey, Beth talk to me. " Luke said while trying to keep her as still as possible. He reached for the CB mic, "Lost sheep 1 to Shepard. Lost Sheep 1 to Shepard. Come in Shepard."

Jesse had been drinking coffee on the front porch when he heard Luke call him . He got up heading for the base station in the kitchen. "This is Shepard go ahead."

"Get Lost Sheep 2 and get out to Opussumm Hollow Road, now." Jesse could hear the distress in Luke's words. He got Bo and headed out the road which lead to the farm. Even Luke's words of distress hadn't prepared either Bo and Jesse for what they saw before them. The wrecker's tail lights and Beth's Camero head lights setting side ways were all they could make out at first.

By the time Bo go to Luke's side he had gotten Beth to answer him and was asking. "Are you hurt? Did you hit the steering wheel?"

"The only thing that hurts is the side of my head. No, I don't think I hit anywhere else." she said.

Jesse was now at the boys side. "Don't let her move anything. Beth, Honey, where do you hurt?"

"Just the side of my head." she replied. "I'm really fine."

By this time Bo and Luke had the driver's door open. Jesse said, "Well, let's just run you and Daisy back to town and get ya checked out." He glared at Daisy so she'd not protest, figuring if she went without a fuss then so would Beth.

Luke suggested, "Bo go on and get inthe truck. I'll bring Beth over to you and she can ride on your lap."

At this time Bo Duke was a bundle of nerves. He didn't even argue with Luke who knew he had to move Beth very slowly and easily in case she was hurt more than she knew. Luke said to Beth, "OK, I'm going to lay your head on my shoulder, then I'm going to get ya out of here. You just let me do the work OK?"

"Ok, Luke. But I'm fine." she fussed.

"I'm glad, Honey. Just let Doc be the judge Ok?" He said as he held her head as still as possible, then lifted her into his strong arms and carried her to the pickup where Bo waited to take her. Luke gently sat her down on her husbands lap. "Bo when you get to town you move and keep her still until Doc looks at her."

Beth asked, "What about my car? Is it OK?"

Luke said, "It'll be at the farm before you. I don't see any damage, but we'll have Cooter over first thing tomorrow now go on and don't worry about the car."

Jesse, Bo, Daisy and Beth pulled out heading for town, leaving Luke and Dixie alone. Luke said, "Ok, here's your first lesson in using a wrecker. Now I want you to release this lever as I pull the cable and we'll have this thing out of here in a second." Sure enough in under five minutes Luke had the car out of the ditch and chained down to the wrecker. "That should about do it." For the first time he saw that Dixis was trembling. "Are you cold?"

"No, just shaky." she said through trembling lips. "I was so scared about Beth and the baby."

Luke said, "I think they will be just fine." He thought if she shook any harder she'd fall down. "Come here." He opened his arms to assure her that she, Daisy, Beth and the baby would be Ok.

Dixie liked to think she was a 'tough' person but at this moment she was very insecure, all she could say was, "Please, hold me."

Luke had been holding her, but tightened his grip on the young girl. After a minute or two Luke noticed this felt so natural. Though he knew he was a bit older than her, this felt so very good. She looked up to him for the assurance she needed. This was one of the things he'd missed with the girls he'd been seeing. It felt so good to be able to reassure someone by just holding them.

Beth was just following Luke back to the farm, when all of a sudden... one of Beth's front tires blew. Being a front tire she had little control of the Camero. Luke had rounded the curve ahead and didn't see her fight the car for control as best she could while trying to slow down before she hit the ditch.

As she hit the ditch Beth's head hit the driver's side window, temporarily stunning her. They had been going just fast enough that the impact with the ditch caused Daisy to also hit her head on the front windshield.

As the car came to a sudden stop Dixie realized that both her friends were unconsious. Being only 15 at the time Dixie decided quickly she needed someone else to help her friends. She leaned up front and grabbed the CB, "Little Shotgun to Lost Sheep 1. We have a problem back here."

Luke sighed, "Ok I'm turning around."

~~~~~~~~~~

Luke didn't expect the problem they'd had to be what he found. Dixie was out of the car and trying to get Beth to talk to her. Daisy had started to come around. Luke said as he reached the drivers side, "See about Daisy. Beth. Hey, Beth talk to me. " Luke said while trying to keep her as still as possible. He reached for the CB mic, "Lost sheep 1 to Shepard. Lost Sheep 1 to Shepard. Come in Shepard."

Jesse had been drinking coffee on the front porch when he heard Luke call him . He got up heading for the base station in the kitchen. "This is Shepard go ahead."

"Get Lost Sheep 2 and get out to Opussumm Hollow Road, now." Jesse could hear the distress in Luke's words. He got Bo and headed out the road which lead to the farm. Even Luke's words of distress hadn't prepared either Bo and Jesse for what they saw before them. The wrecker's tail lights and Beth's Camero head lights setting side ways were all they could make out at first.

By the time Bo go to Luke's side he had gotten Beth to answer him and was asking. "Are you hurt? Did you hit the steering wheel?"

"The only thing that hurts is the side of my head. No, I don't think I hit anywhere else." she said.

Jesse was now at the boys side. "Don't let her move anything. Beth, Honey, where do you hurt?"

"Just the side of my head." she replied. "I'm really fine."

By this time Bo and Luke had the driver's door open. Jesse said, "Well, let's just run you and Daisy back to town and get ya checked out." He glared at Daisy so she'd not protest, figuring if she went without a fuss then so would Beth.

Luke suggested, "Bo go on and get inthe truck. I'll bring Beth over to you and she can ride on your lap."

At this time Bo Duke was a bundle of nerves. He didn't even argue with Luke who knew he had to move Beth very slowly and easily in case she was hurt more than she knew. Luke said to Beth, "OK, I'm going to lay your head on my shoulder, then I'm going to get ya out of here. You just let me do the work OK?"

"Ok, Luke. But I'm fine." she fussed.

"I'm glad, Honey. Just let Doc be the judge Ok?" He said as he held her head as still as possible, then lifted her into his strong arms and carried her to the pickup where Bo waited to take her. Luke gently sat her down on her husbands lap. "Bo when you get to town you move and keep her still until Doc looks at her."

Beth asked, "What about my car? Is it OK?"

Luke said, "It'll be at the farm before you. I don't see any damage, but we'll have Cooter over first thing tomorrow now go on and don't worry about the car."

Jesse, Bo, Daisy and Beth pulled out heading for town, leaving Luke and Dixie alone. Luke said, "Ok, here's your first lesson in using a wrecker. Now I want you to release this lever as I pull the cable and we'll have this thing out of here in a second." Sure enough in under five minutes Luke had the car out of the ditch and chained down to the wrecker. "That should about do it." For the first time he saw that Dixis was trembling. "Are you cold?"

"No, just shaky." she said through trembling lips. "I was so scared about Beth and the baby."

Luke said, "I think they will be just fine." He thought if she shook any harder she'd fall down. "Come here." He opened his arms to assure her that she, Daisy, Beth and the baby would be Ok.

Dixie liked to think she was a 'tough' person but at this moment she was very insecure, all she could say was, "Please, hold me."

Luke had been holding her, but tightened his grip on the young girl. After a minute or two Luke noticed this felt so natural. Though he knew he was a bit older than her, this felt so very good. She looked up to him for the assurance she needed. This was one of the things he'd missed with the girls he'd been seeing. It felt so good to be able to reassure someone by just holding them.

Bo was on pins and needles until Doc Applebee had seen Beth. "She has a mild concussion," Doc said. "She'll be OK, but just keep her awake for a few hours. And call me if anything seems different. The baby should be fine... everything seems normal."

Bo nodded. "Thanks, Doc."

Daisy proved to be just fine, as well, though a little shaken.

Bo helped Beth out to the truck, and she rode home on his lap. Beth was tired, so she laid her head on Bo's chest. "Honey," he said softly. "Somethin' must be wrong with those tires of yours... That's three of them blown in a very short time."

Beth nodded. "My daddy bought them tires from Boss Hogg."

Bo shook his head. "JD Hogg's gonna pay for putting you and the baby in danger. Not to mention Daisy and Dixie."

Beth sighed. "Don't worry about it tonight, honey. Just get me home."

He sighed. "Anything you say, Sunshine."

~*~*~*~*~

Luke had towed the car back to the farm, and taken Dixie with him. The whole ride home, he had held her close to his side. She was still shaking even when they got back to the house. Luke decided to unhook the car later, knowing that Dixie needed him. He took her inside, and directed her to sit in a chair in the kitchen while he fixed her some warm milk. "Here ya go, honey," he said softly, handing her the cup.

She took it and sipped it a little. She tried to calm her nerves, but her hands were still shaking alot, and she was scared to death. "Luke, I was so scared!" she said, beginning to cry again. "Beth and Daisy were both unconcious, and I was worried they'd..." she was sobbing by now. "I didn't..." She couldn't continue.

Luke took her arm, helped her to stand, and put his arms around her again. "Honey, it's all over now. There's nothing for you to worry about. Please don't cry."

Dixie's tears were soaking Luke's blue checked shirt, but he wasn't worried about that. "Dixie, please don't cry. I'm right here... I'll always be here if you need me. I promise you that."

She was still crying, but Luke's comforting words helped. "Promise?" she asked, looking him in the eyes.

"Yeah," Luke repeated. "I promise. On my life."

She closed her eyes against the replays of the accident, and Luke just held her and let her cry into his chest. "It's OK, honey," he said. "Shh..." he whispered into her hair.

~*~*~*~*~

When Jesse and Bo got back with the girls, ......

Cue Dixie

Bo was on pins and needles until Doc Applebee had seen Beth. "She has a mild concussion," Doc said. "She'll be OK, but just keep her awake for a few hours. And call me if anything seems different. The baby should be fine... everything seems normal."

Bo nodded. "Thanks, Doc."

Daisy proved to be just fine, as well, though a little shaken.

Bo helped Beth out to the truck, and she rode home on his lap. Beth was tired, so she laid her head on Bo's chest. "Honey," he said softly. "Somethin' must be wrong with those tires of yours... That's three of them blown in a very short time."

Beth nodded. "My daddy bought them tires from Boss Hogg."

Bo shook his head. "JD Hogg's gonna pay for putting you and the baby in danger. Not to mention Daisy and Dixie."

Beth sighed. "Don't worry about it tonight, honey. Just get me home."

He sighed. "Anything you say, Sunshine."

~*~*~*~*~

Luke had towed the car back to the farm, and taken Dixie with him. The whole ride home, he had held her close to his side. She was still shaking even when they got back to the house. Luke decided to unhook the car later, knowing that Dixie needed him. He took her inside, and directed her to sit in a chair in the kitchen while he fixed her some warm milk. "Here ya go, honey," he said softly, handing her the cup.

She took it and sipped it a little. She tried to calm her nerves, but her hands were still shaking alot, and she was scared to death. "Luke, I was so scared!" she said, beginning to cry again. "Beth and Daisy were both unconcious, and I was worried they'd..." she was sobbing by now. "I didn't..." She couldn't continue.

Luke took her arm, helped her to stand, and put his arms around her again. "Honey, it's all over now. There's nothing for you to worry about. Please don't cry."

Dixie's tears were soaking Luke's blue checked shirt, but he wasn't worried about that. "Dixie, please don't cry. I'm right here... I'll always be here if you need me. I promise you that."

She was still crying, but Luke's comforting words helped. "Promise?" she asked, looking him in the eyes.

"Yeah," Luke repeated. "I promise. On my life."

She closed her eyes against the replays of the accident, and Luke just held her and let her cry into his chest. "It's OK, honey," he said. "Shh..." he whispered into her hair.

~*~*~*~*~

When Jesse and Bo got back with the girls, ......

Cue Dixie

When Jesse and Bo got back with the girls, he found the house quiet. Everyone was in bed except Luke who was on the sofa with Dixie setting beside him. She had her head on his chest with her feet on the sofa. Luke had pulled the blanket off the back of the couch and covered her with it. He had his arms protectivly around her back with his sock feet on the coffee table. They were both sound asleep.

Jesse shook his head. As comfortable as they looked it wouldn't be proper for him to leave them like that. He nudged Luke who instinctively tightened his grip on Dixie. "Luke." Jesse said.

Luke's eyes opened as usual to his name. Being very tired it and not used to sleeping on the sofa it took him a minute to realize where he was and what was going on. When he did he said, "Uncle Jesse. How are Daisy and Beth?"

"They are both fine and in the kitchen. Now you two need to head to bed." he said motioning to Dixie who was still asleep."

"Oh, .. ah, .... yeah. She didn't want to go to bed until she knew they were all OK. She was really shook up cause they were both knocked out on her." Luke explained as he was setting up trying not to wake Dixie. Luke pulled the young girl onto his lap and put his feet in the floor, standing up all in one motion. As he walked towards Daisy's room he said to Daisy who was nt he kitchen. "Hey, how about getting the door Daisy."

Daisy opened her door for Luke who entered her room and layed Dixie down in Daisy's bed then straightened the cover he also managed to pick up over her. They he went back to the kitchen where Bo and Beth were at the table. Luke walked up behind Beth and put both hands on her shoulders in a brotherly fashion, "So how is 'Mama'?"

Beth replied, "Other than a headache and being sleepy and not able to go to sleep, I'm fine. Thanks Luke."

"Hey, no problem. Just glad I was out there. You've got yourself a good friend in there." he said pointing toward Daisy's room. "She was worried to death and shaking like a leaf." Luke turned to the sink for a glass of water. "Is there anything I can do for you all?"

Bo said with a devious grin, "Stay up with us for a few hours?" He knew Luke had had way to little sleep the night before accompanied with a great quanity of alcohol.

"Hey, I'm the walking dead now. Is there anything else I can do?" Luke asked. Then thought, "Tell ya what, give me a couple hours and if she needs to stay up long I will get up and keep her awake for ya." Luke said sincerely.

Bo replied, "Thanks Luke, but hopefully it won't be neccassary. Go to bed Luke."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke took Bo's advice and did go to bed. The funny thing was he couldn't go right to sleep. He kept thinking about how good Dixie had felt to just hold. Then, he tried to rationalize that, 'that was just plumb silly'. She was Cooters sister. His little sister at that. Here he was twenty and she couldn't be more than eighteen or nineteen. There were plenty of girls his age who would like to go out with him. 'Yeah' he said to himself. 'That's what got you in this mess in the first place -- trying to go out with all the girls his age who wanted to go out with him -- to see what he could 'GET',' Luke still thought he was being silly, but each time he closed his eye he felt and smelled Dixie Davenport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning Luke was awake earlier than he had intended to be. He hadn't slept well at all. Finally before dawn he awoke very uncomfortable still thinking about Dixie. He gave up, got up, put on just his jeans, took a T-shirt and walked quietly onto the front porch barefooted where he set trying to figure out his thoughts until Jesse got up so he could get a shower and coffee without waking the rest of the house.

Beth was the first to join Luke, despite the small amount of sleep she'd had. "Mornin', Luke," she said. "I just wanted to thank you for last night."

Luke grinned. "No problem. I thought we'd lost ya there for a minute. Just glad you're OK. You take care of that little nephew cousin of mine," he said, patting Beth's stomach.

Beth smiled. "No other baby could ever have an Uncle like you."

Luke grinned. "Lord, I hope not. I'd start feelin' sorry for 'em."

Beth looked at Luke for a moment. "Thanks for takin' care of Dixie last night."

Luke shrugged. "No problem there."

"Maybe not, but it was good of you anyway. You looked like wild horses wouldn't have taken her away from you until she was OK." Then Beth smiled that funny little smile of a woman who knows something that a man doesn't think she knows, and maybe doesn't know himself.

Luke knew that smile. Had seen it too often from Daisy, Beth, Robin... And he'd never liked it too much. "What's that supposed to mean?" he finally asked.

Beth smiled mysteriously. "Stay out of trouble, Luke," she said simply.

Luke looked at her, then shook his head. Women.

Cue Dixie

Beth smiled mysteriously. "Stay out of trouble, Luke," she said simply.

Luke looked at her, then shook his head. 'Women.' he thought to himself, but replied to her. "Stay out of trouble. Honey, it's my middle name! That would be totally impossible!" He was glad Beth had came out. She was a good distraction.

"You, Luke Duke are impossbile. Just like that husband of mine!" she said as they heard Uncle Jesse enter the kitchen.

Luke laughed. "I'm going to grab a shower and try to get human." He said, but thought, maybe I can get that perfume Dixie had on last night off me and get my head screwed back on straight.

Uncle Jesse sat down by Beth with a smile. "What was that all about?"

"Nothin', Uncle Jesse... Just thanking Luke for helping me last night. Which reminds me! Bo and Luke need to help me get the baby stuff I bought out of the car. Dixie had a few bags, too." Beth smiled, knowing what Dixie's bags contained.

~*~*~*~*~

Luke scrubbed himself clean in the shower and put on his own cologne so as not to smell Dixie's perfume, which had been making him crazy all night.

He got out of the shower wrapped in a towel, and walked out into the hall, not expecting anyone else to be up. But ..........

Cue Dixie

He got out of the shower wrapped in a towel, and walked out into the hall, not expecting anyone else to be up. But as he opened the bathroom door to make a quick leap for his room and some clean clothes, Dixie and Daisy were just opening the door across from the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the kitchen Jesse and Beth heard: Daisy say, "Luke!" At the exact same time, Luke said, "Sh--! Sorry!" Only a split second later two doors slammed and they heard female laughter! Then then they heard another door open, a sescond door open adn then close.

Jesse and Beth looked at each other. Jesse said, "What in tarnation?"

Before anyone could answer Daisy and Dixie came into the kitchen still trying not to giggle, followed shortly by a freshly showered Luke.

Jesse say the looks that were passing between the three as they sat down for breakfast. Jesse asked, but he knew the answer, "Luke do you care to tell me about all the door slamming in there?"

Trying to look innocent he said, "How was I supposed to know they'd pick today to get up with BEFORE the chickens. Usually its me and you having to wake everyone in the house up."

"Never mind THAT! I've told yo that there are female living in this house and until you get your own house you are not to cross the hall in a towel." Jesse scolded.

"Yes Sir!" Luke replied.

Bo had just entered the kitchen. "Tell me you didn't try to scare my wife again."

"Cute Bo!" Luke replied.

Jesse said, "Drop it and go wake those other three sleeping beauties!"

Bo grinned, "I'll take Coy and Vance," he said, having no desire to tangle with Jeb first thing in the morning.

"Thanks, cousin," Luke replied. "You're all heart."

Bo simply smiled an innocent smile and kept walking toward Coy and Vance's room. Those two were no trouble to get up.

Luke walked into Jeb's room and involuntarily gasped. Jeb was gone, and there was a note on his chest of drawers.

Cue Dixie

"Sh--! I can't get a break here." Luke said seeing the note to Jesse. He sighed, picked up the note and returned to the kitchen.

Jesse laughed, "Well, that was quick Luke. I didn't even hear ya'll screaming at each other." Jesse knew that not only were the two still not happy with each other, but that Jeb was just plain hard to wake up.

Luke nodded. "Nope no screaming at each other this morning......."

Before he could explain, Bo asked, "How did ya manage that?"

"Simple. He's not there." Luke said hold up the note. He knew this was going to some how come back on him.

"Not there? What do ya mean, not there? I think you boys think thiose windows are revolving doors. Do I have to nail them all shut? Give me that note!" Jesse fumed.

Jesse unfolded the note and deciphered Jeb's chicken scratch.

"Uncle Jesse,

I'm sorry about this, but I'm just sick of being told what to do by everybody. I'm a man, Uncle Jesse, and it's time I was treated like one, so I'm leaving. I took my bike and my money. Everybody else's stuff's where it should be.

I hate to be like this, but I've got to be my own man now.

Love you all,

Jeb Stuart Duke"

Daisy was on the verge of tears. "Bo, Luke, go find him!"

Bo stood and walked toward the door, Luke following close behind. As they walked out to the General, Luke shook his head. "What kind of dang fool thing is Jeb tryin' to pull now?" Luke sighed.

Bo just shook his head as he climbed into the General's driver's side

window.

Cue Dixie

Bo asked at the end of the drive way, "Which way?"

Luke replied, "I have a hunch. I'm figuring he went looking for Paige."

Bo looked shocked, "Luke she is a 'working girl'."

"I know THAT and you know that, but since our 'bill' is taken care of there. ....... I wonder if Jeb knows that? Or if he thinks maybe she will just give up her 'job' there to be in 'love' with him?"

Bo asked, "You are serious? Right?"

"Do you have any better ideas?" Luke asked.

Bo shook his head. "Reckon not."

Luke shook his head. "If I've told that boy once..."

Bo interupted. "You have, Luke. Now let's go." Bo turned onto the road that would lead them through Chickasaw County and Osage to Alabama. "You better hope you're right," he said.

"I just wish Jeb had a CB on that da-- bike!" Luke said angrily.

"Same here," Bo said, as he upshifted the General.

Bo ran the General for all he was worth, hoping that Jeb hadn't gotten very far.

But unfortunately, he had gotten far enough ahead of them that Bo and Luke both figured he'd be in Alabama before they got their hands on him. Luke keyed the CB mic, and said, "Shepherd, this is Lost Sheep One. Seems Biker Boy left somethin' behind in Alabama. We're gonna go and try to get to him before he finds it."

Jesse trusted his nephew's judgement. "OK, Luke. But y'all be careful."

"Yessir, Uncle Jesse," Luke replied. "We'll find him."

Luke put the CB mic down, and said, mostly to himself, "I hope."

Cue Dixie

Luke looked at Bo. "You know I figured something out. I must be a terrible roll modle to you guys. I think for the past year or better I've forgotten that I'm suppose to set the example. I guess after Robin, I have set a darned bad one! I'm sorry about that Bo. Maybe you and Beth wouldn't have gotten into this fix if I'd acted more responsible. Now Jeb is showing off. How does Uncle Jesse put up with us all?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo grinned. "Good question. But the truth is, what happened with me and Beth had nothing to do with you. We make our own mistakes, Luke... And we can't blame 'em on nobody else."

Luke shrugged. "All I know is, Jeb's in one heck of a hurry to make a big one of his own."

Bo shook his head. "That girl's just gonna make him sorry he ever saw her. Ain't no tellin' what she's been through and done."

Luke nodded. "Stupid guys like me, for one thing. And... Lord knows if she even knows what love means."

As they headed toward Alabama, the boys were silent, hoping they weren't too late to keep Jeb out of trouble.

When they arrived at the club, nothing could have prepared them for seeing.....

Cue Dixie

When they arrived at the club, nothing could have prepared them for seeing a handcuffed Jeb being put in a patrol car and a not happy bar owner looking on.

Luke said, "Oh, Sh---!!!!! To late!"

"Da--!!!" replied Bo, "Now what?"

Luke said, "First let's talk to him," pointing to Jesse's friend, "Then, we'll know if we can help Jeb or if we have to call Jesse."

The owner said, "Bo, Luke. Man I'm sorry I had to do that. He came in and caused a ruckuss with one of my girls. You all know I run a quiet place. Can't have too much attention, but you two have always been Ok here. Next trip leave the young one home Ok? And tell Jesse I'm sorry aout this."

Luke shook the man's hand, "You got it on both accounts. I'm sorry for the trouble. I was afraid something like this would happen that's why we were behind him after we discovered him gone. Tell Paige I'm sorry also."

"How did you know it was Paige that he started with?" he asked.

Luke replied, "Just a hunch. Let's go get him Bo."

A greatful Jeb was released to Luke several long hours later after Luke promised their judge Jeb would not be back anytime soon and the bar owner had called saying he'd not press charges. It was going to be a long ride home!

~~~~~~~~~

Jeb was pretty upset. He thought he loved Paige, and thought she loved him. But unfortunately for Jeb, he had to learn the cold hard truth sometime. Luke almost felt sorry for his cousin. "Did you know that her goin' upstairs with you was just doin' her job?" Luke asked.

Jeb's face told his cousin that he didn't know. At least, not until she was yelling at him and he was in cuffs.

"Da--," Luke said. "Boy... I shoulda made that a little more clear."

Jeb looked at his cousin for a long moment, and said, ".....

Cue Dixie