I'm a Danged Fool

Bo opened his bedroom door gently, hoping that Beth was asleep. He eased in the room and quietly shut the door.

Beth said, "I'm awake. You can quiet tip toeing around."

Bo sat down on the bed taking his boots off. Beth sat up and hugged him. "Not that I'm complaining or anything but what's that for?"

Beth was choked up as she said, "For coming home tonight." She swollowed, "Instead of being with Luke."

Bo turned to his wife and saw her very upset, "Honey. Shhh. It's Ok. I knew there was going to be trouble but I couldn't stop it. Luke did not need my help with Ralph or with getting into trouble." Bo sighed.

Beth knew the answer before she asked but had to ask anyway, "And had he, you would have been right beside him. Wouldn't you?"

Bo bite his lip as he looked into Beth's eyes before answering, "Yes, honey I would have. I'm sorry, Beth. But Luke's like a brother to me, and I couldn't stand by and watch him get in a fight he couldn't win."

Beth looked at her husband for a minute. "Bo Duke, if I didn't love you so much..."

"I know," Bo said. "But I'm sure glad you do."

He laid down beside his young bride and pulled her close to him. "Well, Mrs. Duke... is there any more reward for not getting in trouble tonight?"

Beth just smiled wickedly and pulled Bo's head down for a long kiss.

~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, Dixie couldn't sleep. She knew Daisy was asleep, and hated that there was noone to talk to. She lay there wondering if what Daisy said about Luke was really true. Would he even care if he knew he was hurting her? That was a silly question. She knew he would. Luke was a good man. But... He wouldn't care about the fact that... She was... infatuated... no... it was more than that. There was something she felt for the dark haired Duke boy that was so much more than that. But what was it?

~*~*~*~*~

The next morning.........

Cue Dixie

The next morning found Jesse up early making coffee. He hadn't slept much thinking about his fool nephew.

Dixie was still awake when she heard Jesse in the kitchen. She eased out of the bed and put on her jeans and shirt while still barefoot, she headed to the kitchen. "Anything I can do?"

Jesse just smiled at the girl who by the looks of her face and hair had not slept well if at all. "Not right now. I don't figure anybody got much sleep so I think I'll let them sleep in a bit. What's got you up so early?"

Dixie smiled a weak smile. "Well, with all the happenings of last night I really couldn't sleep.Things are sure different here than where Mom lives. Until I came to Hazzard I'd never known anyone who had went to jail. What will happen to Luke?"

Jesse asked before answering her questions, "Was Luke drinking last night?"

Dixie nodded 'no', "Not really. He'd had a beer at the Boar's Nest earlier. Then, at the lake he had opened a beer but only took a drink maybe two out of it before all this happened."

Jesse nodded and set a second cup of coffee on the table which Dixie nodded her thanks, "Well, now Sweetheart, yes things are different here. I then I have five fool nephews who usually get into trouble because they like to annoy our Sheriff. See the boys and Rosco play game with each other and Daisy and I ususal end up in the middle. I guess now you join us there. I really don't mind going after them, just don't tell them that, when it's because Rosco has made up something or they have forced him into taking them to jail. What makes me mad is when they really do something like last night to have their butt thrown in jail. I guess no matter how good I raised them their foolish pride and hot tempers win out at least sometimes. As for Luke, well, I'll head out of here as soon as I think the Courthouse is open for business. I'll bond him out but he's likely going to have to show up for Court and if Rosco saw them fighting then even the other guy can't drop the charges. Hopefully he'll just have to pay a fine which he better figure out how to make some extra money cause things are tight here," letting his own temper get to him Jesse fussed, "Or he can just set there for however long the Sheriff wants to hold him when he goes back to Court."

Dixie hoped Jesse didn't mean that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was still early when the Correctional Officer that Rosco had called into to stay at the jail because of his 'prisoners' brought in coffee and asked, "Are you two ready for breakfast?"

Luke nodded, 'no', "Coffee's fine for me. Thanks Peggy."

Ralph couldn't keep quiet, "Oh, that's cozzie, you know the guards, guess you know their families too? Ya been here so often!"

Luke saw the look cross Peggy's face. He decided he didn't have a job riding on his reply like she did. "Yeah, her husbands a State Trooper. I'll make arrangements to let him know you too. Maybe even introduce you two!"

That was it. All Peggy could take she had to turn before she laughed at them both. Luke for his reply. The other guy for the look on his face at Luke's answer!

A little later, Jesse took the truck and went for Luke. Bo wanted to go, but Jesse said, "Bo, I need you to stay with the girls and the younger boys. They need you here."

Bo nodded "OK, Uncle Jesse."

Beth walked out to Bo, who was standing alone, watching Jesse drive away, worried beyond words about Luke. "Honey, are you OK?" she asked him softly, pulling her robe around her. It was pretty chilly.

Bo nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Are you OK?"

She smiled. "I'm fine, sweetie."

He pulled her against his side and shook his head. "That Luke..."

Beth nodded. "And that Bo... They're two peas in a pod."

Bo laughed. He knew she was right. But he protested anyway. "Who's the one NOT in jail this morning."

Beth smiled. "Point made."

Dixie, meanwhile, was standing in the window, watching the dust from Jesse's truck, and hoping that he'd bring Luke back with him.

Cue Dixie

It did Luke a world of good that Jesse came after him before whoever was coming after Ralph got there. Luke couldn't help the slight smile as Peggy let him out of the cell, leaving Ralph in the one beside him. As they came up the stairs where Jesse, Rosco and Boss Hogg would be waiting, Peggy had to say, "Luke, that remark, last night, you know about Ron...."

Luke nodded that he knew what she was talking about.

"Thanks. That guy was even getting under my skin but I couldn't say anything." she explained.

"I know. That's why I did. I could! And I just might have to arrange that 'meeting'." Luke smiled wickedly.

Peggy just shook her head as they topped the steps.

Boss Hogg said, "Well, well, well, looky here. My what a joy it is to have you as a guest, Luukkee." He exagerated his name. "Where's that cousin of yours? That wife of his keeping him home?" Boss gloated.

Before Luke could answer, Jesse said calmly, "Never mind that. JD, I believe our business is complete. I'll be taking my boy home now." Jesse turned to walk with Luke close behind. Nothing was said between the two until they were in the truck and starting out of town.

Luke said, "Thanks for coming Uncle Jesse."

"Don't thank me too quick!" Jesse snapped just a bit. "What in tarnation were you doing? You know everytime you all go up there racing SOMEBODY gets in trouble and it's usually ya'll!" Jesse fussed.

Luke knew where Jesse was coming from, but had to disagree, the only time Jesse knew they were up there was when they HAD gotten into trouble, but they had been there plenty of times without anyone getting into trouble. "I know. I'm sorry Uncle Jesse. See he challenged me to a race. You know the history between us. Yes," he answered without being asked, "Robin was there...."

"So there was no way you weren't going to race?" Jesse asked.

Luke shook his head, "Pretty much........ I'm sorry. Then, he was mad that I won. So he said I jumped the line. I hadn't, but agreed to race him again. I didn't want him or anyone to think I had to jump the line to beat him. I waited until he got a good before I pulled out, then passed him after turning around. By half way back I had a good lead." Luke sighed, "As I neared the line I took the General out of gear and let it coast to the line."

"Being a bit showy are we?" Jesse asked.

Nodding Luke said, "Ah, yeah, but I couldn't help myself after he called me a cheat."

Jesse replied, "You do know you have to go to Court on this. If you are lucky you'll only get a fine. As you also know things are tighter at the farm than I care for Bo and especially Beth to know, so I sure hope you can get creative as to how you intend to pay that fine or you'll have to take the time instead."

Luke nodded. He knew as did Jesse that on something minor the Hazzard Courts usually gave you the option of like $50 or 5 days, or $100 or 10 days, etc. because they were greedy and would rather have the money and most Hazzard citizens would rather pay it than to be in jail. "I'll think of something Uncle Jesse. I know things are tight." Luke was hoping he could talk to Cooter's Father and maybe get to drive the wrecker to make the extra money. As much as Rosco and his deputies had went swimming lately he was sure Cooter and his Dad could use some time for their hip waders to dry out.

Back at the farm Dixie let out a breath she had been holding and didn't even know she was holding it when she heard Luke's voice as the other guys were evidently kidding him in the front yard as Jesse came in the door. Though she couldn't hear all of what was said she did hear: Coy ask, 'What kind of birds don't fly?' then Luke replied, 'Dead ones! Want me to show you?' Dixie was in Daisy's room when he came in so he didn't know she was there.

Luke was glad only the guys were out front. He felt a mess. He knew he hadn't sleep well and hoped he looked much better than he felt. All he wanted right then was a shower!

When Luke came out of the bathroom after his shower, Beth, Daisy and Dixie were setting the table for lunch. Luke felt much better than he had before the shower.

After grace was said the family took their seats around the table. The girls had fixed Hamburgers, fries, with a plate of lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers cut up on the side. As were the other hungry guys, Luke was eagerly filling his plate when Jeb had to be the wise guy, "Bet this is sure better than what the Hazzard Jail is serving for lunch."

Luke shot him a look, "Yeah, well, I do too. Just remember you last name is Duke too and your day will come!"

"Boys! That's enough. Not at the table." Jesse said firmly.

The very much grown 'boys' hushed. Luke wasn't happy with the teasing he was getting about spending the night in jail in front of Beth and Dixie. Always before when he and Bo had gotten into trouble, the teasing had been more of a 'guy' thing that had mainly been saved for the garage or when they were alone. Though Luke and Jeb had worked out their differences for the most part he got the feeling that Jeb was intentionally trying to annoy him. Luke watched Jeb as they ate lunch. It was becoming more clear why Jeb decided to pick on him today. 'He's trying to impress Dixie! Well, good! but not at my expense.' Luke thought.

"Well, boys, we've got to make up the work we didn't get done this morning this afternoon. If ya'll are done, we better get at it." Jesse said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That evening Luke had decided to go talk to Luther Davenport about driving the wrecker to make some extra money in case he needed it when he went to Court. Luke knew that anyone else in the County needing extra work done had pretty much saved it for Bo because they knew he needed it.

Luke went in the garage seeing Luther working on a pickup truck. "Luther, can I talk to you a minute?" Luke asked.

Wiping his hands on a towel, Luther replied, "Sure, Luke. What can I do for you?"

"Well, I know between working here and running the wrecker you and Cooter have been spread pretty thin with Rosco taking up swimming lessons. Since I have covered for you two occassionaly I was wondering if you'd let me work a little more regular for a couple weeks?" Luke asked.

Luther thought about this, he and Cooter usually took turns working twelve hour shifts which did have a tendancy to put a damper on Cooter's 'social' life at times. "Well, now, Luke you do have a point. I guess me and Cooter could both use a little free time for the garage to get caught up and he certainly won't complain if he gets a few free evenings off. This won't interfere with the farm's ah, ..... 'business' will it?" Luther asked more referring to the moonshining business.

Luke nodded 'no', "Jesse's got a couple good orders to get out but we should be able to work around those and still give you all some free time."

Luther cautioned, "Ok, Luke, but probably most of the time I'll need you will be in the evenings."

Luke read the man's mind. "I know, which just might keep me out of trouble since I won't drink if I'm driving the wrecker and I'm not seeing anyone at the moment so this should work out Ok."

Luther had to grin at the young man before him. Jesse had raised some good kids. "Care to tell me what part you'll be needing for the General Lee when you're done?"

"What?" Luke looked confussed.

Luther explained. "It's just that usually when you get so eager to work you are doing it for parts for the car."

"Nah, nothing like that. Actually, I kinda had to teach someone some 'manners' the other night after a race about the time Rosco showed up."

"Ouch." Luther replied.

"Yeah." Luke replied, "So I figured I got my tail in trouble I should be the one to get it out. Hopefully, they are as greedy as ever and decide they want the money more than me."

Luther looked skeptical, "I hope so, but wouldn't count on it. They've wanted you two for a long time."

"Yeah, I know." Luke sighed, "That's what worries me. Thanks again."

"No, problem. When Cooter comes back in I'll have him bring the wrecker out to your place this evening. Oh, Luke, here's the set of keys to the garage and the lot out back in case you have to put anything back there tonight." Luther said.

As Luke climbed in the General Lee he realized this had bee the first time Luther had given him the keys to the garage and the back lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening, Jeb yelled at Luke, "Are you coming to the Boar's Nest tonight?"

Jesse was just listening to the conversation from the other room.

Luke replied, "I might be by later when I run Cooter home."

Jeb said, "But, Luke, Cooter ain't here."

"I know but he will be when he brings the wrecker by." Luke offered as an explaination.

Jeb, still confussed, asked, "So do I or do I not have a ride home?"

"Don't count on me I'll have the wrecker tonight." Luke said as Jeb went out the door annoyed that Luke wouldn't be there to bring him home.

Jesse continued to read the paper.

Luke walked in with coffee in his hand. "You heard?"

Jesse nodded, 'yes', "Care to explain?"

"Well, after the other night, I figured with Bo doing all the odd jobs in the County that maybe Luther and Cooter might like some spare time. I can make hopefully enough money before Court to pay the fine for the other night." Luke explained, while picking up Jesse's coffee cup and refilling them both.

Jesse looked at his nephew with approval, knowing that if he was driving the wrecker he may go to the Boar's Nest but he'd be drinking coffee or soda while there. Luke knew that when working with automobiles and wreckers alcohol just plain did not mix.

~~~~~~~~~

Cooter showed up a short while later. "Luke, I can't think of how to thank you! I've been wanting to take Kathy out since that night at the Boar's Nest but I've had the wrecker every night while Dad has been busy with 'extra' cars at night."

"Say no more." Luke said slapping Cooter on his back. "I'll bring the wrecker to the garage about 7 and you can have me back here about the time work begins out here. Come on I'll run you home so you can get cleaned up if you have a 'hot' date."

"Ye -haw!!!" Cooter said as the tow headed towards the wrecker!

• 4 weeks later...

While dropping Cooter off for his date, Luke over heard Dixie asking to go out with Tommy Smith. He decided to hang around for a few minutes after hearing Luther give her permission to go out with this guy. Luke waited for Cooter and Dixie to leave the garage for the house to get ready for their various dates. Luke said calmly, "Luther, I know this is not my business and I gladly shut up any time you tell me to, but, that Tommy Smith came around wanting to date Daisy and Jesse sent him packing. He promised to shoot him if he caught him on the property." Luke paused. He knew Luther would respect Jesse's opinion. "Look, I know my reputation isn't great, but I look like a angel compared to this guy. Luther he's dangerous."

Luther was now uncomfortable with this whole situation but stood his ground, "Luke, they are going to the Boar's Nest, a public place where I plan to be. What could it hurt?"

Luke needed the extra work and didn't want to make Luther mad. He held up his hands in surrender. "Hey, I'm butting out. Tell Cooter I'll see him at 7am." Luke walked back to the wrecker. He was still annoyed. He hoped to be at the Boar's Nest in case Tommy got over friendly.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke had arrived at the Baor's Nest early. Daisy knew that he was running the wrecker and brought him a coffee. "Thanks Daisy."

Several coffees later, Luke saw Dixie walk in with Tommy.

Daisy leaned over the bar and asked, "Luke? Dixie' s out with Tommy SMITH?"

Luke sighed, "It looks that way."

"But Luke, Uncle Jesse sent him packing when he wanted to take me out." Daisy said shocked.

"I know that, and I informed Luther of that very thing. He obviously sees no harm in it so who am I to butt in?" He asked.

Daisy replied sharply. "Well, Luke, I've never known you to HAVE to force a girl to be with you like I've heard he has done."

"Daisy, you are right about that. That's something I'd never do, and he better hope he doesn't pull that with Dixie and I'm anywhere close by." Luke said.

Daisy heard the sharpness of Luke's tone. She now knew why he was here drinking coffee instead of at the farm.

~~~~~~

After a couple of hours Tommy was trying to become very familiar with Dixie's curves. Luke sat watching with his jaw cletched and his neck muscles tight. Dixie was holding her own either removing the offending hand or putting it in a 'safe' location.

Luther Davenport was also in the Boar's Nest but was apparently blind to what was going on.

Luke was waiting on either Dixie to put a stop to his roaming hands by getting loud or waiting for them to leave. He planned to follow them. He just didn't feel comfortable with and innocent girl like Dixie being in a vehicle alone with a guy like Tommy.

All too soon the phone ran. Daisy answered it, "Boar's Nest. Daisy speaking..... Sure Maybelle. Luke phone." she said.

"This is Luke." he replied into the receiver.

Maybelle said, "Luke Rosco is in Hazzard pond again and needs a wrecker on the South end."

Luke shook his head, "What else is new? I'm on my way." Then to Daisy he said, "Rosco's in Hazzard pond. Keep an eye on them will ya?" He said as he started toward the door.

"Sure thing, Sugar." Daisy replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Rosco had ridden back to town with his deputy while Luke fished the cruiser out of the pond. As Luke hooked up to the car he'd just pulled out of the pond, it began to rain, as he said out loud to no one but the fish. "I sure wish Boss would send him to driver's school." then he re-thought that statement. "Ok, I just wished he'd learn to stay out of the pond." He said as he tried to stomp out most of the water in his boots before getting into the wrecker.

As Luke drove back to town he saw someone walking toward the wrecker. It was a girl. ....... No it was Dixie! He saw she was crying as she walked toward town in the rain.

Dixie recognized the wrecker and was more than glad to climb in it after Tommy had given her two options: "Put out or get out!" She had gotten out of his car and began walking, then it began to rain. She was so angery with herself she had almost given up the long walk to town but she just couldn't give 'herself' to that lowlife! just to get a ride home.

It didn't take Luke long to figure what had happened as she climbed into the wrecker he turned on the heat and gave her his dry jacket to wear. Without so much as a word Luke pulled out and headed toward the Davenport farm.

At the farm Luke sent Dixie to the shower to warm up while he made hot chocolate. He had also placed a change of dry clothes by the bathroom door for her. Luke had no idea the shade of deep purple she'd turn later as she realized that he'd went into her dresser for them.

When she entered the living room after her shower Luke met her with a blanket, popcorn and hot chocolate. The night had been chilly even before Luke had to go into Hazzard pond after Rosco's car. He's feet were still cold but he was more worried about Dixie getting sick and what did or could have happened before he got there. After she got settled on the couch Luke sat on the arm of the couch and asked, "Dixie, are you really OK? ....... Nothing, ..... ah, ..... happened, ..... before?" Luke hoped she stop him before he had to go further.

Dixie saw Luke's discomfort and replied, "Luke, nothing happened." she bit her lip and continued, "I walked first."

Luke suspected the rest but asked, "Tell me exactly what he did."

Dixie shook her head. "Nothing. He had been grooping me all evening. He was supposed to be taking me home. He stopped just above where I was walking. It was simple, he gave me a choice to 'put out or get out' -- I got out! He didn't think I would walk that far from town with it raining, but I did." she said with tears in her eyes.

Luke was nodding. He pulled her to him and said, "Shhh, I'll take care of it. I promise you, I will take care of him." he said, Luke was mad at himself for not being more conviencing when he talked to Luther and was mad that he 'let' Dixie be put into this situation without stepping in. Luke had decided that he WOULD take this matter up with Tommy Smith, soon, very soon. Luke smiled at the thought, but for now he'd stay and watch TV and comfort Dixie so Mr. Smith wouldn't try to come here while Luther and Cooter were out. Luke planned to leave just before he figured they'd be home.

Dixie asked through tear filled eyes, "Luke, you won't tell anyone, will you? Promise me?"

Luke nodded, "I promise. Not a word to anybody but Tommy Smith himself."

Dixie was too upset to read Luke's meaning.

A couple hours later Luke left to put Rosco's car in the fenced in area behind the garage before going home. He had left the Davenport home and parked out of sight until he saw Luther come home, just to make sure Tommy didn't wait on him to leave then show up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day Jesse handed Luke an official looking letter from the Hazzard Courthouse. Luke knew what it was when he saw it. It would be his court date on the fight with Ralph Green. Opening the letter, Luke checked the calendar. It was three weeks away on a Monday morning. "Well, at least I've still got three weeks to make some money for the fine." he said as Jesse watched him mark the calendar.

Jesse wasn't all so sure they'd let him off with only a fine. The Hazzard law had wanted the boys long before they had turned 18. They had only been able to get them on a couple of things, where they had only spent the night in the Hazzard jail and then were released to Jesse. Now Rosco had seen Luke hit Ralph so it was possible they'd try to make an example of Luke........ They'd just have to wait until the court date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day, Bo and Beth went to town for another visit with Doc Applebee. He checked everything out and told them that the baby was just fine, but that Beth was probably working too hard.

She rolled her eyes. "How can I be working too hard! Bo won't let me do ANYTHING!"

Doc Applebee grinned. "Typical first time father." He patted Bo on the shoulder. "But don't make her sit around all the time either, Bo. She needs her excercise, and so does the baby."

Bo shrugged. "Heck, Doc. I'm new at this stuff."

"I know," the Doctor said. "We want that baby born healthy. All of us."

Beth nodded and promised to try not to work too hard for the baby's sake.

They rode home in Daisy's car, after repeated warnings from Jesse that, "It just ain't natural, a pregnant lady climbin' in and out of car winda's... That's what the doors are for."

Once in the farmyard, Beth turned to Bo and said, "Honey, what are we going to do?"

Bo looked at her in shock. For such a long time, she had been the strong one. And now, her eyes were filling up with tears. "Bo, I'm scared. I don't know what to do... and... I'm scared I'm not doing it right... taking care of the baby and all. And... it hurts having a baby, Bo... and I'm scared."

Bo fought tears as he replied, "...............

Cue Dixie

Bo fought tears as he replied, "Honey. I promise, it will be OK." He said, as he took her in his arms. "I'm sorry I'm putting you through this. Carrying MY child." Bo had tears in his own eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke shook his head as he marked the calendar for the 25th of the month, a Monday. Luke was saved by the 'bell' as the phone rang. He was called to a disabled car at the County line. "Uncle Jesse, I'll get this one and tow it back to the garage if I can't get if running. Then, I'll have Cooter run me home to do my chores around here."

Jesse nodded as Luke walked out hte back door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the weeks went by Luke had been working the farm, running shine, and driving the wrecker. He was getting close to the end of his 'rope'. At the end of the last week before going to court, Luke had turned the keys to the wrecker over to Cooter, at the Boar's Nest as Tommy Smith walked in. Luke ordered his first glass of shine. He drank it in two drinks before approaching Tommy Smith. He grabbed Tommy by the shirt collar and asked gruffly, "What the He-- do you think you were doing telling Dixie Davenport to 'put out or get out'?" ..............................

• 3 weeks later...

With his back against the wall and only his toes touching the ground Tommy Smith made his next mistake when he replied, "Her? She's just another slut."

Luke bounced his head off the wall for that remark.

Even though Luke had gotten his attention, Tommy decided to make his next mistake, he punched Luke in the stomach.

Luke had enough time to work up his mad so the punch barely registered as he was ready for it. While holding Tommy against the wall with his left hand he landed his own right in Tommy's stomach picking the other young man briefly off the floor before he let go of him.

Tommy landed in the floor with a 'thud'. Luke's punch had taken his air as he sat there gasping like a fish out of water.

Luke stepped back and said, "Come on. You like to tell girls to 'put out or get out'. Let's see what you can do with a man."

Tommy was now able to breath. He was also mad. He knew that all girls wanted 'it' and they just played hard to get and here was Luke Duke of all people, who changed girls like his socks wanting to start this with him in the Boars' Nest in front of everyone over just another slut. Tommy thought, 'He wants a fight. I'll give him one.' Just before he pushed himself off the floor, he asked, "What makes you any better than me, Duke?" and hit Luke hard as he tackled Luke. The two pushed several tables and chairs as they landed across one table taking it to the floor with them.

Luke proceeded to explain as he adjusted Tommy's attitude, "Be--cause, .... I, .... ain't never FORCED a girl! ...... I, ...... don't have to FORCE, ...... THEM!!!" Luke exclaimed, in between landing solid punches to varies places of Tommy Smith's body.

Both were swinging at each other as Sheriff Rosco Coltrane came out of the back room.

Rosco took one look at the front room of the Boar's Nest and said, "Freeze. Freeze. Just freeze it right there!"

Neither Luke or Tommy heard or obeyed the Sheriffs command.

Rosco walked over to the two men that were fighting. He still hadn't been able to identify them as they wrestled around the floor. He reached down and grabbed the man on top and pulled him off the other man. It was only now he seen that he was holding on to Luke Duke and Tommy Smith was in the floor looking up to see who had 'rescued' him from the oldest Duke boy. Rosco shook his head as he reached for a set of handcuffs, "Ok, you two. You're both under arrest."

Luke said, with a sigh, as Rosco cuffed him, "Terrific!" He thought to himself, 'This isn't good. Jesse's gonna throw one more fit. This is not going to look good in Court on Monday either." But Luke had waited for this night and though he was going to jail, Tommy had deserved it. It had just taken him this long to catch up with him. The only thing Luke could say that he regretted about the situation was that this was Friday night and he had to be in Court for the fight with Ralph Green on Monday. He sighed. This would just about guarentee that he would not be lucky enough to get only a fine.

Tommy looked at Rosco confused as Rosco took out the second set of handcuffs. He said, "He jumped me. Why are you cuffing me?"

Rosco imformed Tommy, "From where I stood you were both using each other as punching bags so I'm arresting you both! Kew, kew, kew, I love being a lawman it's my life!" He giggled as he escorted both young men to his cruiser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was early evening as Jesse, Bo and Beth set on the porch peeling apples to freeze for the winter. The ringing phone gave Bo his excuse to take a break, "I got it." He said already moving toward the phone in the living room. "Duke farm." he said answering the phone.

Luke was actually glad Bo had answered the phone but knew he still needed to talk to Jesse. "Bo," he said with a long sigh, "you probably need, ....... to put Uncle Jesse on here."

The concern was heard in Bo's voice, "Luke. What's wrong? Where are you? Are you alright?"

Luke had to smile, picturing his concerned cousin. He replied not too convencingly, "I'm fine. As for 'what's wrong and where am I', well, ....."

Bo was now hearing and understanding the phone calls, that he and Luke had together made so many times in the past, that Jesse had been on the recieving end of. He almost would rather be on the making end as the recieving end as he heard Luke continue what he knew he was going to say.

Luke continued, "I'm in jail for fighting with Tommy Smith."

Even before Luke had finished, Bo was calling, "Uncle Jesse. Luke's on the phone for you..........."

Jesse heard the distress in Bo's voice. He asked himself out loud, "What now?"

• 2 weeks later...

Bo left the kitchen, knowing that Uncle Jesse needed to talk to Luke alone. He walked back onto the porch and sat down beside Beth. "How are you feelin', honey?" he asked.

"Fine," she said softly. "Just... tired. A little weak. But I'm OK."

Bo looked at her. "That don't sound good. You should go see Doc."

"I saw Doc a coupla weeks ago, Bo. It's OK. I'm just tired is all."

Bo reached over to clasp her hand in his. "Dang it, Beth. Be careful. Take care of yourself. Do you know how much I love you? How much I need you to be OK? How much I need you to take care of that little young'un? Lord, Beth... I'm just as scared as anybody."

Beth looked at him. "I know you're scared, Bo. I'm scared, too. But... there's been lotsa scared mama's and daddies since the beginning of time. I'll bet Eve was scared when she was expectin' Cain."

Bo grinned. "Beth, how'd somebody like you manage to get herself into a bind with a hayseed plowboy like me?"

Beth smiled, a funny little smile, and said, "..........

Cue Dixie

Beth smiled, a funny little smile, and said, "Bo Duke. I love you. Now, what has got you so worked up? And, don't tell me that it's us." she said holding her now 'showing' belly. "Who was on the phone and what's wrong?"

Bo looked at his wife and asked himself, 'How can she know me so well?'

~~~~~~~~~~

"Luke? What's wrong?" Jesse asked as the annoyance was verbalized.

Luke let out a forced laugh, without humor, at how well the man had sized up the situation. "Uncle Jesse," Luke sighed, "I'm not sure this will do any good. I mainly am calling to let you know where I am......." Luke trialed off before finishing, "By having to be in Court on Monday, I don't see them setting a bond on Friday night......."

"So you are in jail?" Jesse let it add up though Luke hadn't said. "What in tarnation is going on?"

Luke turned away from the others in the room and closed his eyes as he answered the dreaded question, "Yes, I'm in jail, .......... for, ......... fighting."

The last word was spoken so low Jesse almost didn't hear it and he wished he hadn't have. He tried to take a claming breath before answering, but it hadn't worked, "Let me get this straight! ...... You are in jail for fighting, .......... AGAIN? .......... Just two days before you go to Court for a FIGHT?" Jesse said increasing his volume.

Luke found he could do nothing more than to sigh before confirming what Jesse had asked, "Yes, Sir." he said simply.

Jesse grumbled, "Let me talk to Rosco."

Luke replied into the phone, "Ok. I'm sorry." then to Rosco, "Sheriff, Uncle Jesse wants to talk to you."

Rosco took the phone, "Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane at your service."

"Can it Rosco." Jesse barked.

Rosco visibly moved away from the phone before asking, "What can I do fo ryou Jesse?"

Jesse Duke was entirely unhappy about the enjoyment Rosco was having. "Rosco, you and I both know Luke has to be in Court Monday. Is he going to be able to be bonded out of there until then?"

Rosco giggled, "Kew, kew, kew. Well, now, ...... I've already called the Judge. He said to just hold him and he'd just give him credit Monday for his time already served."

At hearing Rosco's statement to Jesse, Luke set his jaw and waited. This was not going to be good.

Jesse simply asked, "Visiting hours? Noon to one?"

Rosco replied almost too happy, "Yep. They sure are!" he giggled.

Jesse refrained from giving Rosco anymore satifaction, "Tell Luke that I'll see him tomorrow."

"Kew, kew, kew. I'll do it. Yes, Sir. I'll do it! Kew, kew, kew. You have a good night, Jesse." as Rosco hung up the phone.

At this moment, Jesse Duke, wished he could get to his nephew. He was sure that he could make him regret tonight far worse than Rosco could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rosco turned to Luke, "Ok, Luke this way." He said leading Luke to the cells downsatirs.

Luke moved in the direction indicated by Rosco without a word, though he could feel his own foot kicking his back side everystep of the way while the voice in his head screamed, 'You could have waited until after Monday!'

Rosco unlocked the empty cell. Luke stepped inside. Rosco locked the door with a loud 'clinch'. Though Luke refrained from jumping, he still felt the coldest chill he'd ever felt run the entire lenght of his tall frame. The chill went all the way to the core."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesse returned to the porch before Bo had the chance to tell Beth what was going on. Both Beth and Bo looked to him for answers ....................

Jesse shook his head. "Luke's in jail... again. For fightin'...again. And I might just have to whip him..."

Bo almost added "again," but bit his tongue. Jesse seemed to know what Bo was thinking because he shot daggers at him with his eyes.

Beth patted Bo's leg in a silent reminder to respect his Uncle.

Jesse said, "Bo, Beth... I'm gonna go see him durin' visitin' hours, and I want y'all to stay here."

Bo started to protest, but Jesse stopped him in his tracks. "I don't trust Coy, Vance, and Jeb without you. They sure don't listen to Daisy."

Beth closed her eyes as the baby moved around a little. "Listen to him, Bo," she thought, saying nothing. "Please listen."

Bo looked at his wife, then at Jesse. "Yessir," he said.

~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, in town, word had gotten to the Davenports that Luke Duke was in jail for fighting Tommy Smith....

Cue Dixie

Luke knew it was going to b a long night and hoped that Rosco would put Tommy in the cell upstairs instead of beside him. Luke had heard Rosco tell Jesse that the Judge said he'd give him credit for his time served on Monday. That one statement pretty much told him what he figured. There wouldn't be a bond set today and he'd not have to worry about being on time for Court on Monday. Luke also figured that he could clear his 'social calendar' for awhile too. He walked the short distance of the cell and looked out the small cell window at the stars. Luke knew that his timing had been bad but all in all he didn't regret at all adjusting Tommy's attitude. You just didn't treat girls like that and he knew if he explained this to Jesse and even the Judge that they would likely agree. But, he knew he wouldn't exlain this to Jesse or the Judge or anyone else. Dixie had asked him not to tell what had happened with Tommy and Luke knew he wouldn't tell even if it meant he'd be right here for awhile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, in town, word had gotten to the Davenports that Luke Duke was in jail for fighting Tommy Smith. Cooter walked into the garage noticably bothered after waiting on his forst customer.

Luther Davenport asked, "What's with you? You look like someone just ran away with your truck."

Dixie Davenport looked up from where she was working on the books for her Dad. Cooter did look like someone had punched him in the stomach.

Cooter began, "Ya, know I picked up the wrecker at the Boar's Nest from Luke last night then headed home. It seems that after I left, ...... that him and that Tommy Smith got into it. Ms. Blevins just stopped to get gas on her way into work. Seems Rosco took them both in last night. He called her in so he could make rounds this morning before Court."

Dixie was glad the lighting in the garage wasn't good. She felt her face turning beet red.

Luther said, "What were they into it about? I know Luke told me once he wanted to take Daisy out but that Jesse had sent him packin'."

Cooter replied, "It seems nobody knew why. They said Luke just jumped him."

Dixie was now feeling her ears burning.

"That don't sound like Luke." Luther added.

"No, it don't. Especially when he's been working here to make the money to cover the fine in Court Monday for fighting with Ralph Green." Cooter stated.

Luther added, "I don't think he'll have to worry about a fine now."

Cooter agreed, "Yeah, old Rosco's been after both those boys to long and now I think he's got Luke right where he wants him."

Dixie had a real good idea why Luke had jumped Tommy if that's the way it happened. She knew her face right now would let both her father and brother know she knew more about what was going on than she should. She got up off the stool and headed to the restroom, hoping not the be missed for awhile.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo looked at his wife, then at Jesse. "Yessir," he said. Then something came to Bo, he asked, "You're going down at visiting hours, tomorrow? Shouldn't they set bail before then?" Bo knew Jesse was mad at Luke but surely he'd go his bail. "You're not just gonna leave him there are you?"

Beth held her breath. She knew Bo had just crossed an unseen line. She knew that Jesse Duke was the most fair and loyal man she'd ever knew but she also had a feeling that you didn't push him and she felt her husband had just done so.

Jesse turned on Bo feeling the anger he was saving for Luke building. He saw the look on Beth's face as he started to speak to Bo. He bite his tounge, then toned down what he intended to say, and replied, "As much as I'd like to leave him there to teach him a lesson, no, I wouldn't just not bail him out. Yes, you are right they should set the bails before visiting hours, however, with having to be in the Judges' office on Monday, it seems that the Judge is also wanting to teach your cousin a lesson. He's put a 'hold' on him until he sees him on Monday. He told Rosco he'd give him credit for this weekend when he sentences him on Monday."

He knew what would happen on Monday just like Jesse did, before Bo could stop it, he said, "Sh--!"

• 2 weeks later...

He knew what would happen on Monday just like Jesse did, before Bo could stop it, he said, "Sh--!"

Jesse glared at Bo. "Married or not, I'll not have that kind of talk in my house."

Bo suddenly realized just how think the ice was that he was on. "I'm sorry Uncle Jesse."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Though Luke was glad not to have to see Tommy anymore, he was a bit peeved when Tommy was bonded out early Saturday morning.

Jesse true to his word had visited Luke later Saturday. Luke had explained without details what had happened between the two. He said he was tired of the way Tommy was treating girls and decided to adjust his attitude. Jesse had not to calmly informed him that Tommy and Ralph were not the only ones in need of an attitude adjustment.

~~~~~~~~~

Monday morning, Tri-County Judge Milton C. Hardcastle was in Hazzard County early. He had read the complaint for the case that he had originally been here to hear. Then, he moved on to Rosco's report from Friday nights events. Just as he was finishing up here was a knock on the door, "Come in." Replied Hardcastle, he figured it was the Sheriff.

Jesse Duke was the one who came through the door. He addressed his old fishing buddy formally since he was here on business, "Judge Hardcastle."

Hardcastle waved of the formalities, "Jesse we've known each other far to long. It's Milt."

Jesse gave his friend a thankful smile. He had known for a long time that sooner or later he'd be on the opposite side of the desk from his friend. He always hoped it would be later. "Milt, you know why I'm here." Jesse held up his hand, hoping to be able continue, "Now, I'm not hear to tell or even ask you to do your job any differently. My boy, he's got himself a temper. I know it looks really bad on him being in one fight and then in a second one before he even went to court on the first. I don't want our friendship to be involved in what you have to do and I won't hold nothing against you for doing what we both know you're going to have to do in there. What I'd like you to know is that our family is going through some changes. His cousin Bo has just gotten married and has a baby on the way. Times haven't been real good for us in many years and with two more mouths to feed I need all the hands and muscle I can get to keep that old farm going. So though I need Luke, I know he needs to be taken down a notch or two. What ever happens in there, I can assure you, it won't be near as bad as what will happen when he gets home." Jesse paused once more, "And, Milt, I'd appreciate you not letting the boy know I came to talk to you. Thank you for your time, Judge." Jesse turned and walked before Judge Hardcastle had a chance to say anything.

After Jesse Duke left, Hardcastle sat back and considered everything Jesse had said. He knew the man did need the help but he could not ignore that the young man had been in two fights so closely together. He had met Jesse Duke's boys a couple of times and always found them very well mannered and polite. He found it hard to believe that any of them could be a bully. He decided he'd go see the young man and maybe all this would be clearer afterwards.

He gathered his papers and went to the small courtroom.

~~~~~~~~~

The judge noticed when he entered that Sheriff Rosco Coltrane was so pleased with himself he could pop. Checking the time he saw it was almost time for the hearing to begin, "Sheriff you can let anyone in that's outside and then go get Mr. Duke.

"Kew, kew, kew! You got it! I just can't wait." he said as he opened the back doors of the courtroom.

Jesse had tried to get the others to stay home, but had let himself be convinced that the more support for Luke would look better. After Rosco opened the doors Jesse, Bo, Beth, Daisy, Jeb, Vance and Coy entered the courtroom and took seats right behind where Luke would be seated in a few minutes.

Though Beth had wanted to go, she found herself becoming highly emotional. She reminded herself this was Luke in trouble not Bo. Her inner voice added, 'this time' to her thoughts.

~~~~~~~~

Rosco unlocked Luke's cell door, "Ok, Luke it's time. Kew, kew, kew! Now just let me put these here cuffs on you and we'll go up."

"Like I'm going anywhere." Luke huffed.

"I know ya ain't cause you're not even gonna see the judge with out 'em." Rosco informed Luke happily.

Luke silently swore as he complied by letting Rosco, who was enjoying this far too much, place the handcuffs on him.

~~~~~~~

Luke swore again to himself when he saw the looks on his cousins and Beth's face as Rosco brought him into the courtroom. They had all visibly paled. Luke set his jaw and lifted his chin, getting ready for what would follow.

Rosco called the court to order.

Judge Hardcastle looked at the young man before him. "Mr. Duke as you probably guessed I have the paperwork from both the incidents that you have been involved in recently. I'd like to handle both these cases today instead of two different hearings if you are in agreement."

Though Luke realized he did have a choice in the matter, he heard the judge's opinion loud and clear. He replied, "That will be fine, Your Honor."

Judge Hardcastle noted both the manners as well as Luke's agreeing with him. "Would you like to enter a plead in the above matters?"

Luke let out a deep breath and replied, "Yes, Sir."

"Please stand and enter your pleas in the above matters? " Judge Hardcastle asked.

Luke stood up, very straight, and said, "Guilty as charged, Your Honor."

Judge Hardcastle noted the amount of respect given by the young man. He asked "Is there anything you'd like to say in your defense before I sentence you in these matters?"

Luke thought about it a second before replying. He knew that he needed to say something or he was sunk. "Judge, I take full responsibility for my actions. Though it is no excuse, in the first incident, I had been called a 'cheat' by Mr. Green and he had thrown the first punch. Mr. Green and I have had differences for several years now. In the second incident, Mr. Smith and I had a difference of opinion on a matter. I regret the timing of the incident and I know it makes me look much worse in the courts eyes, however, I do not regret the incident."

At the moment Jesse Duke would have liked to have rung Luke's neck.

Judge Hardcastle replied, "Be seated. The court will be in recess for twenty minutes." He stood and left the bench for his office.

~~~~~~~~~

Judge Hardcastle re-read the reports, considered Jesse Duke's situation, considered the young man before him, and made his decision. A short twenty minutes later Judge Hardcastle returned to the courtroom where Rosco called the court back to order.

Judge Hardcastle began, "Please stand, Mr. Duke for sentencing."

Luke was not at all sure he was ready for this, but did as instructed, again standing straight and tall.

The judge began, "You have plead guilty in both the matters before this court. I hearby sentence you to thirty days in the County Jail." Hardcastle paused for the information to be processed by the young man before him. Then continued, "However, I am suspending it all but ten days which I'll give you credit for your time since Friday night, and I'm putting you on six months probation. The conditions of that probation will be given to you before your release. Should you get in any trouble in the next six months I will re-instate the above sentence in 'spades'. Is that clear?"

Luke was surprised he found his voice for his reply, "Crystal. Thank you, Your Honor."

Hardcastle spoke to Rosco, "Court dismissed. Sheriff return Mr. Duke downstairs."

~~~~~~~~

Rosco stepped to Luke's side, smiling smuggly as he took Luke by the arm to escort him to his cell.

Luke allowed Rosco to lead him downstairs, where the handcuffs were removed and the door once again shut and locked with the same hated 'clinch'. Luke waited until Rosco had went back upstairs before he let out the breath he'd been holding. He knew the Judge could have given him thirty days on both charges. He wasn't happy with the ten days but it sure beat sixty days. Now, he'd just have to fgure out how to stay out of trouble for the next six months. He had a feeling that the judge would not be so kind the next time.

~~~~~~~~

Once outside the courtroom, it was Bo who spoke first, "That just wasn't fair!" He hadn't stopped to see the expression on his young wifes' face.

• 2 weeks later...

He hadn't stopped to see the expression on his young wifes' face, which at this point was a pained one, full of worry. Uncle Jesse, however, hadn't missed it. He knew not to ask Beth about it then, but to let it go until later.

Bo was still angry. Beth slipped her hand into his, afraid to let go of him. Afraid of losing him.

It was then that Bo remembered that his wife was at his side. "Honey," he said, seeing her face. "You OK?"

"I'm fine," Beth said, fighting back the tears.

Bo looked at her, knowing she wasn't fine. "Beth, talk to me..." he said.

Beth looked at him, shaking her head. "Not now, Bo. Just not now."

Bo's blue eyes filled with concern. "Is it the baby?"

"No!" Beth snapped, immediately regretting it.

Bo was hurt, but something stopped him from saying so. He just put his arm around Beth and whispered, "I love you, darlin'."

She knew she shouldn't start something right in front of the courthouse, but she was angry. "Beauregard Duke," she said, turning angry, tear filled blue eyes on him. "You listen here,........................"

Cue Dixie

Beth's comment was interrupted by Dixie, who had seen them exit the Courthouse. She had came right to Bo, "Where's Luke? What happened?"

This did not go unnoticed by Daisy, who tried to break the news to her more gently than Bo would, "Sugar, why don't you come out the farm for a bit with us?" Daisy saw the frightened look on Dixie's face then the redness as she blushed.

Dixie asked, "Should I take it Luke won't be joining us?"

Seeing that Bo had his hands full, Jesse replied, "Not for a few days I'm afraid. Daisy's right, you can go out to the farm for a spell if you want while I pick up a few things in town."

Vance broke in, "It'll save a rip back later if we stay in town. Practice is at four."

Jesse replied, "Okay, just call if you need a ride home." Jesse watched as Vance and Coy made their way off into town. He took a last look at the group remaining. He wasn't sure who was the most upset, Bo, Beth or Dixie. Bo he could understand. Even Beth he could see, as he figured, she could see Bo in the same spot. But, Dixie's reaction surprised him.

~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the farm Bo took Beth inside. He had a feeling he was in trouble even though it was Luke in trouble.

After Bo and Beth went inside, Dixie asked Daisy and Jeb, "Ok, so what happened?"

It was Jeb who found his voice first, "He got ten days. The judge gave him credit for the weekend, so he'll be home Monday."

Dixie looked at Jeb, "Monday? This is Monday."

Jeb replied, "Yeah. Next Monday." Seeing the look on Dixie's face Jeb tried to be reasonable, "Jesse said, he could have gotten thirty days on both charges. Ten days isn't bad."

"Do you intend to tell Luke that?" Dixie asked.

Jeb wasn't once to mince words, "I think, Luke knows that, already."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night Dixie went to her room early and after several failed tries wrote,

"Luke,

I know why you did what you did with Tommy. I can't help but feel responsible. I know how hard you worked here to have the money to pay the fine in Court. I can't help but think if it hadn't have been for me you'd be home now. I'm sorry for getting you into this.

I'd come see you but the way the visiting hours are they are all on school time.

Dixie"

She sealed the note and mailed it in town on her way to school the next day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rosco came down stairs about noon with the mail in his hands. He told Peggy, "I'll be here a couple of hours if you want to take a break."

"Great, I'll run home take a shower and change, maybe get something to eat on the way back. See ya in a couple hours." she said as she went upstairs.

Rosco sorted through the mail and found one he hadn't expected, "Well, well, well, looks like you are more popular than most of my prisoners." Rosco said as he walked toward Luke's cell. "Next time have them put a return address on it."

Luke took the envelope addressed to him. It wasn't a handwriting he knew. He simply said, "Ok." He took the letter and turned it over several times, trying to figure out who had written it. He opened the note and read:

"Luke,

I know why you did what you did with Tommy. I can't help but feel responsible. I know how hard you worked here to have the money to pay the fine in Court. I can't help but think if it hadn't have been for me you'd be home now. I'm sorry for getting you into this.

I'd come see you but the way the visiting hours are they are all on school time.

Dixie"

Luke shook his head. He had only did what needed to be done. There wasn't many girls who would take the time to even say what Dixie had written. He re-read the note several times and when Peggy came back on duty he asked her for paper and a pen.

She gave him a couple of stamps, envelopes, a pen and a tablet. She figured if he was writing a letter that at least it would take up some of his time.

Luke wrote,

"Dixie,

Don't feel at all responsible for my actions. I don't regret anything other than my timing. I told you I'd take care of him and I would have sooner if I'd ran into him. It was only luck, maybe dumb luck that it happened right before I went to court. I made my decisions, fully aware of the consequences, and I'd do the same thing again. None of this is your fault.

Tell your Dad, that if he wants extra help for at least the next six months I'm available. Got to find something to do to keep me out of trouble unless I want to be here longer, and I really don't. Guess I'm just too use to getting in the General and going when I want to. The cell I'm in is smaller than half of my bedroom at home. I'm just not used to having the door locked so that I can't leave, I guess.

Don't worry about visiting. I'll be home Monday and you don't need to be here. Save the part run for Monday and we'll go get them in Atlanta and maybe grab a bite to eat. I'm sure anything we can fine will out do whatever they call supper here.

Luke"

When he re-read it the note, Luke knew there was several things he wouldn't have said to anyone else and wasn't sure that he should say them to Dixie, but he had and he'd leave them. He addresed the envelope, placed the note in it, and put the stamp on it, put it in the bars and said, "Peggy, can you get this in the mail in the morning?"

"Not a problem. I'll drop it in the next time I'm upstairs." she replied.

"Thanks." Luke said as he laid down on the bunk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night in their room Beth cornered Bo, "Beauregard Duke, do you have any idea what I've gone through today?"

Bo stared at his wife blankly.

"It may have been Luke in that courtroom today, but it could have been you!" she began to cry.

Bo looked at her totally amazed, "But, Honey, it wasn't me."

Through her tears Beth said, "But it could have been." she wipped her tears with a tissue, "Bo, I just don't know if I could take it if you were locked up in a 'cage' like an animal. You know, you could have been right there with Luke."

Bo wanted to disagree with her, but didn't want to lie either. He said, "........

• 4 weeks later...

Bo wanted to disagree with her, but didn't want to lie either. He said, "Yes, I could have been. Sunshine, I won't lie to you. Had I been there and he been out numbered, I would have jumped in, just like Jeb, Coy, Vance, and even Daisy would have. But, Luke would have done the same for me or them."

"You would choose backing Luke to being home with me?" Beth asked hurt.

"Never, Honey. But, my loyality belongs where it's most needed at the time." Bo tried to explain.

"What about the consequences?" Beth asked.

"I just deal with them after all the chips have fallen." he replied.

Beth managed to say, "Even if it means going to jail?"

Bo reached to put his arm around her. He knew she'd not like his reply, "Yes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie checked the mail on her way in from school as always, but she was surprised to fine a letter addressed to her without a return address on it. Her hopes went up thinking it may be from Luke Duke, but she was sure he'd not write her back. It was probably from one of her old friends from home who had gotten the address from her Mother, but for no reason she tucked the letter safely in her book she was carrying.

After supper and her bath, Dixie said her 'goodnights' to Cooter and her Dad. In her room, she opened her book, took out the letter, got under her covers, and slowly began opening the letter. Once it was open she saw a note written as what must have been an after thought on the folder paper, "Oh, yeah, Rosco said next time put a return address on your letter. Guess he wants to be noisy! Luke"

She couldn't help but smile at the note. Then her smile grew, 'He had written back!' she thought. Then another question popped in her head, 'How did Rosco or Luke for that matter know she'd write again, when even she hadn't known, until right now.'

The letter read,

"Dixie,

Don't feel at all responsible for my actions. I don't regret anything other than my timing. I told you I'd take care of him and I would have sooner if I'd ran into him. It was only luck, maybe dumb luck that it happened right before I went to court. I made my decisions, fully aware of the consequences, and I'd do the same thing again. None of this is your fault.

Tell your Dad, that if he wants extra help for at least the next six months I'm available. Got to find something to do to keep me out of trouble unless I want to be here longer, and I really don't. Guess I'm just too use to getting in the General and going when I want to. The cell I'm in is smaller than half of my bedroom at home. I'm just not used to having the door locked so that I can't leave, I guess.

Don't worry about visiting. I'll be home Monday and you don't need to be here. Save the part run for Monday and we'll go get them in Atlanta and maybe grab a bite to eat. I'm sure anything we can fine will out do whatever they call supper here.

Luke"

Luke's words had made her smile, yet some had filled her eyes with tears. She got out her stationary and wrote, "Luke,"

That was as far as she got for a long while. She was trying to think of how to answer all that Luke had said and also what he hadn't said. Finally, she began:

"I can't help feeling at least a little responsible for your being there. I should have listened to the rumors about Tommy and not have went out with him.

I'll be sure and tell Dad about the extra help, but what does that have to do with you staying out of trouble? I couldn't imagine not being able to leave a room and I know how much of a free spirit you are ... Jeb tried to tell me basically that you were lucky and that 'ten days wasn't too bad.' I asked him if he intended to tell you that. He said he thought you knew that already. Do you believe him?????

I will save the part run for you. Sorry about the food there. I'll even buy as a welcome home present. I've got to get to bed to get up for school in the morning. Night.

Dixie"

• 5 weeks later...

Bo and Beth were alone in their room late in the evening. Beth was still upset with Bo, imagining him being in jail for fighting or something. "Beth, Sunshine... I'm sorry," Bo said. "But you've got to understand something. Luke, Jeb, Coy, and Vance are like my brothers, and if I had to fight for them, I'd do what I had to do. That's all there is to it."

Beth looked at him. "Beauregard Jackson Duke, do you think I can just sit here and accept the fact that, if Luke or Jeb or Coy or Vance got into a fight, you'd be right in it with him? Bo, what if you got in a fight right when the baby was all set to be born?" She sighed. "We might as well get some sleep. We've got school tomorrow."

"Oh, Lord," Bo said. "And we've got that essay thing day after tomorrow, don't we?"

Beth nodded. "Yeah... I finished mine."

"What're we supposed to write about again?" Bo asked.

Beth couldn't help smiling. Bo was plenty smart, but he was quite a slacker. "We're supposed to write about our best childhood memory."

"What'd you write about?"

"When we were little and you, me, Daisy, and Luke went to the carnival with Uncle Jesse, and we rode the Tilt-a-Whirl until we couldn't stand up. And then we came back to your house and played Are There Any Bears Out Tonight? until Uncle Jesse made us go to bed."

Bo laughed. "I remember that. That was fun." He put his arm around her. She sighed. It was hard to be mad at her blue-eyed country boy for long. She loved him far too much.

Bo leaned down to kiss her. "How's the baby tonight?" he asked, putting his hand over her stomach, which was now rounding out pretty well.

"Fine," she said. "Busiest baby I ever knew anything about, though," she said. "He moves around all the time."

"He?" Bo said. "So it's a He now?"

Beth nodded. "I just gotta feelin's all."

"What brought on this feelin'?" Bo asked.

"Because, he's just like a Duke boy, keepin' a girl up all night," she said with a wink.

Bo grinned. "Seems to me I know something about that." He pulled Beth close and kissed her long and sweet.

Beth smiled. "We do have school in the morning."

"But this is tonight," Bo said, with a wicked grin.

Beth sighed. "So it is."

Cue Dixie

The next morning was pretty normal at the Duke farm with the exception of the guys having divided up Luke's chores before they all headed off to school.

Luke was now thinking he had never been so bored in his life as he watched Peggy doing things to keep herself busy. There was nothing else to do but think which he sort of figured was one of the judge's reasons for putting him here. He started thinking about his actions since high school. He remembered how pleasant and down right happy his life had been when he'd had a steady girlfriend. He knew who he was picking up on Friday night and who he'd be bringing home on Friday night. Luke had gotten along so well with her family that often he'd spent the night with her brother instead of going home. He found that he actually missed her entire family, but he knew deep down they would never be able to patch things up. There had been way to much water under the bridge and Robin and Ralph seemed, ....., well, maybe not always happy, but at least they were Ok together. If that's what made her happy, then Luke would be happy for her. But he also thought of all the girls he'd taken out just to see how far he could get. 'Damn, son. You have been really lucky not to end up in the same situation as Bo.' He sighed at that thought, and asked himself, 'And what would you have done if you'd gotten more than one pregnant at the same time?' Luke had had these thoughts a couple months ago and had started laying low. He hadn't been out on a date in awhile and had also slacked off drinking. He laughed at the thought, 'and look where it got you. Locked in a cell. Good one, Luke!' Still, no one was going to call him a cheat and no one was going to try to take advantage of a girl while he was around. 'So you've gotten yourself put on six months probation when you get out of here and Rosco knows it. So, just how in the hell do you plan to stay out of trouble?' he sighed, 'Maybe just working the farm, the stills, and driving the wrecker will keep me busy enough to stay out of trouble. I'll go to the Boar's Nest and listen to the band. Now, for a steady girlfriend, ....' Luke began running all the girls in Hazzard County through his mind to try to find someone he'd like to maybe try to date steadily.... He figured that at least this would take up some time as there were a lot of girls in Hazzard County.

At Hazzard High School, Bo walked Beth to her first class, gave her a kiss and started toward his first class when he heard someone yell at him across the crowded hall, "Hey, Duke."

Bo turned to see none other than Tommy Smith heading toward him.

"I heard your cousin's now officially a jail bird after his attack on me the other night." Tommy gloated.

You could have heard a pin drop in the crowded hallway, as everyone watched for Bo's reaction.

At the moment, Bo's only thought was about Tommy's statement about Luke. Bo and Luke were closer than most brothers and this guy wanted to rub it in his face that Luke was in jail because of him. Bo, .....

Cue Beth

Bo started off toward Tommy, and Beth saw him just in time to run after him. Unfortunately for her, she had gotten bigger, and couldn't run as fast as she was used to running. "Bo!" she yelled. "Bo!"

Bo turned and looked at his wife, who was quite red-faced from running after him. "Bo, please," she said softly. "Don't."

Bo looked at her, then at Tommy. "Beth..."

Beth sighed. "Bo, if you do this..." she couldn't think of anything to threaten him with. But then, it came to her. "Bo, if you do this, you can sleep in Luke's room tonight." By this time, she was close enough to him to say it so noone else could hear.

"Beth, Luke's my cousin, and this jerk has no right to talk about him like that," Bo pled with Beth to understand.

Beth looked at him. He turned to Tommy and yelled out. "Well, at least Luke ain't the one who has to force himself on somebody!"

Tommy whirled on him. "What the hell did you just say to me?"

Bo glared. "Everybody knows you ain't never had a girl who wanted to do anything with you... I know more than one girl who wishes she'd never seen you walkin' her way." Bo had the good graces not to name names.

Beth tried to grab his arm, but Bo stepped away. "So why don't you just keep your mouth shut?"

Tommy ran toward Bo, ready to kill the blonde. Beth stepped closer, but by some miracle, both Daisy and Jeb had showed up just in time to pull her back before she got knocked down.

Beth sighed. Daisy led her away while Jeb and Kool Aid, who had also recently appeared, pulled the two apart. "Come on, y'all," Kool Aid said. "That's enough."

Bo's face was bright red with anger. "Come on, you two," the older man added. "What's this all about?"

Bo glared at Tommy, but said nothing. Tommy spoke, "Bo just needs to learn some manners is all."

"All right, all right... I'm afraid I'll have to send you two up to the office."

Bo sighed. Kool Aid had bailed them out alot, but Bo knew he couldn't now. Too many other teachers had seen everything.

Beth looked at Bo, who mouthed at her, "I'm sorry, Sunshine."

Beth sighed. Fighting like that would get Bo suspended for at least a week. "You better believe you're sorry, Beauregard," she said, more to herself than anyone else.

Daisy spoke up, ".....

Cue Dixie

Daisy spoke up, "Beth, Honey. Come on let's go down the hall." Daisy said as she hugged Beth and started toward the restroom. Bo and Tommy's fight had caused enough disturbance in the hallway without 'airing more Duke laundry' for the whole school to see and hear. Once in the bathroom, Daisy said, "Come on Sugar, let's get your face washed off and get you calmed down." Daisy didn't like seeing Beth this upset in her condition.

Beth sobbed, "Daisy, ....... he didn't have to ........ do that! ..... Now, he'll be in trouble at home and get suspended."

Daisy knew Beth was right, but said, "Until you came along, Bo had never been closer to anyone than Luke. By backing down out there, he'd have been labled a coward and 'let' Tommy talk about his family." Daisy reached out to brush back Beth's hair, "And you probably don't want to hear this, or care -- right now, but had Bo backed down after you had asked him not to, well, the guys would have really given him a hard way to go. You feel in love with my cousin, with Bo Duke, Honey, you loved him as he was. Why do you want him to change now? Yes, he's your husband, but he's also the man you fell in love with. Let him be a man. A Duke man." Daisy looked into Beth's eyes, "Ask Jesse, check the records, ... no where in our family has their been a divorce. Times and trouble may follow us Dukes but we've all always had a lot of love to give in between."

Beth stood taking in all that Daisy had said as the bell signaled they were late for class.

Everyone's favorite teacher had sent Bo and Tommy toward the office. Bo only hoped they would be sent unescorted so he and Tommy could settle somethings before reaching the office. He'd seen Daisy at Beth's side and knew she was OK. As he glaced back, he saw there was no such luck as Kool Aid stepped in behind them. Bo sighed. This day wasn't good.

In the office ..........

By lunchtime, Luke had imagined a long term relationship with half his Senior class after quickly weeding out the first half for various reasons. He figured the class above him would take less time as many had married after graduation. He'd think about them after lunch. Of all the girls he'd thought of none of them could he imagine being with the rest of his life. Sometimes he envied Bo and Beth. He just hoped that they had what it would take for the long haul. So many people he'd known had got together like Bo and Beth but things didn't work out after the 'honeymoon' was over. Luke knew he was by no means ready for marriage but he would like to have a steady girl for awhile and if things worked out between them maybe in a few years he would be ready to settle down. He had to laugh. He then figured he'd better settle his act way down, steady girl or not, unless he liked his current view -- and he didn't.

• 3 weeks later...

In the office, the principal asked Bo, "What is it this time?"

Bo shrugged. "Nothin', really. Just some people need to be taught some manners."

Tommy nodded, hissing, "Ain't that the truth."

Bo rolled his eyes, and scooted further back into a chair to keep from teaching Tommy those much needed manners right now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Beth and Daisy went to their next class, where a few of the stuck up girls managed to get their two cents in. "Did you hear about that Bo Duke causing trouble? But the Duke's always were trouble."

Beth sat there, working her jaw angrily. Some people needed to be taught a lesson or two. And for that moment, she could understand Bo's anger when his cousins were talked about.

She turned around in her seat and said so that only the offending girls and Daisy could hear, "From what I hear, you all have been trying real hard to get Jeb Duke to help you out of those pretty little skirts, so I wouldn't talk about the Dukes."

A few of the girls glared at Beth, but a few blushed bright red, because Beth wasn't lying. Jeb was pretty popular, and alot of the girls did want a trip to the lake or a roll in the hay with him.

"And," Beth added. "The only reason none of you have ended up like me yet is because Jeb had no desire to touch any of you."

Daisy looked at Beth, shocked, but amused. Mostly because Beth was right.

One of the girl glared at Beth and said, "..............

CUE DIXIE

• 2 months later...

One of the girls glared at Beth and said, in a voice that attempted to drip of shock, but failed badly, "Well, I have never!"

Beth replied, "That's only because the Duke boys don't date trash!"

Daisy had gotten her two cents in by replying with Beth's comment, "That's NOT what I heard, but it wasn't with any cousin of mine!"

As Bo and Tommy waited outside the principal's office while he talked to their teacher, Bo hoped that Kool Aid had seen enough of the arguement before the fight to see that it wasn't totally his fault. After the teacher headed back to his class the principal said, "I'll save you for last." he said to Bo. Then to the secretary, call Mr. Smith's parents and get them on their way. "Tommy step into my office." He said tiredly, though it was Tuesday morning. He took the seat behind the desk and asked, "Ok, let's have it."

Tommy started, "He's just mad becasue his cousin is in jail for attacking me. I guess Bo wanted to try his luck."

The principal asked, "Without any other reason, he hit you first?"

Not as conviencing as he would have liked sounded, he replied, "Yeah. ..... Yeah he did."

Many years of being a principal and knowing the Duke's told him different. "Ok, go out and wait for your parents. I still want to talk to them. Since both you and Mr. Duke are 18 either or both can seek further assistance from the Sheriff, however, I personaly think our courts are far too busy for every young mans fist fight. I expect to see you next week with a different attitude." The principal opened the door, "Bo come on in."

Tommy noted that Jesse Duke hadn't been called like his parents had.

"You want to tell me your side of this?" the principal asked.

Bo began, "I had walked Beth to class and was heading to mine when that jerk...."

The principal interupted, "Bo there will be no name calling in here."

"Sorry," Bo replied as he continued, "Anyway, he said somethings about Luke. Then, I said somethings about him that I guess he didn't want to hear so he came at me and well, it was on."

The principal felt he believed Bo's account more so than Tommy's but since they had both fought they would both have to be suspended. "As I told Tommy, you are both 18 and can either or both take this farther with the Sheriff if you want but I also advised him that I personally feel our courts are far to backed up with things as simple as a young mans fist fight."

Bo sighed. He hoped that Tommy didn't drag this to Court. Beth and Jesse would have a fit.

The principal continued, "And, as you well know you've earned yourself a weeks vacation. I know that you bring your wife to school and pick her up even when you aren't here. Bo you can't even be on the parking lot or you'll leave me no choice but to call the Sheriff myself. Understood?"

Having the good graces to look embarrassed, Bo replied, "Yes, Sir, I understand."

The principal asked, "So, with Luke in jail and I suppose Jesse is in the fields, who do I call to pick you up?"

Bo had at first looked surprised that the principal knew about Luke, then figured that most of Hazzard had heard about it by now. He sighed again, "If Jesse isn't home, the others are here, but I have the General Lee. I'll leave and go tell Jesse all about it. Duke's honor."

This coming from any other student wouldn't have meant much to the principal and maybe not even this one last year, but Bo Duke had seemed a lot older this year especially after he had gotten married. Bo had given his word to him which any Duke's word could always be taken to the bank. The principal saw no other real choice in this matter, he sighed and said, "Okay, Bo you can take your car home, but tell Jesse I'll be calling him this evening."

"Yes, Sir." Bo said as he got up, "Can you tell Beth or one of the others that Jesse or I'll be here to pick them up after school and let them know if it's me I'll be parked across the street."

The principal replied, "I'll get them the message."

Bo opened the door, walked right past Tommy and his Mother and headed right to the General Lee.

From Tommy's seat he could see the parking area and saw Bo Duke get in his orange piece of junk and drive off.

The principal called them into his office, "Mrs. Smith as Tommy has probably told you by now he and Bo Duke were involved in a fight earlier. I'm going to have to suspend them both for a week."

Tommy asked with a bit of an attitude, "Just why was my Mother called and Mr. Duke not?"

The principal replied shortly, "That's between Mr. Duke and myself."

Mrs. Smith spoke up, "Well, I just don't think it's fair, that Bo Duke is just as bad as his cousin. They both attacked my son."

It wasn't hard to see where Tommy's attitude had come from the principal thought.

It was just after lunch when Luke heard someone bounce down the stairs. He looked up to see Bo standing at the locked gate at the bottom of the steps, "Peggy no one was up stairs. Can I talk to Luke for a few minutes?"

Peggy was giving him a curious look as she checked her watch. "Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"Yeah, that's what I wanted to see Luke about." Bo added.

Luke groaned slightly, though he was really glad Bo was there, "What's wrong Bo?" He asked as Peggy was unlocking the gate to let Bo closer to Luke.

Bo took a stool over next to the bars where there was a painted line to keep visitors from being able to pass anything to someone in the cells. "Luke I swear it wasn't my fault."

Luke almost laughed. He'd heard this same line from his cousin since he was three and right now he looked about three to Luke. "What wasn't your fault?"

Bo began, "Me and Tommy Smith sort of got into a fight, but he's not going to talk to me about you like that."

"Dang it Bo!" Luke exclaimed. "Isn't my being here for fighting enough?" Luke tried to bite his tongue to keep from asking but he had to ask, "Just what did he say about me that got you so worked up?"

Bo really didn't want to tell Luke because he knew what would happen.

"Bo?" Luke insisted.

"That you were officially a 'jailbird' after you 'attacked' him." Bo said with a sigh.

Luke smiled at him and shook his head, "Well, Bo, I guess he's partly right on that matter, but that was no reason for you to go and get yourself in trouble. What did Uncle Jesse say?"

Bo looked downward for a second, then replied, "He doesn't know yet. With you here and Uncle Jesse out in the fields the principal let me drive home. I gave my word I'd go tell Uncle Jesse and he's gonna call Jesse tonight. I pretty much look to be grounded until you get home once I find Uncle Jesse, so I had to stop to see you first."

Luke had to smile at his cousin. "I'd say you are right about being grounded. Cousin, ....... our Uncle is the fairest man I know, but I have to warn you. Once you tell him about your fight and since he can't get to me, you might just end up paying my tab on this one."

Bo looked at Luke solumnly, "Thanks, Luke, I needed to hear that right now."

"Sorry, but I figured you'd rather expect the worst." Luke said.

Bo replied, "You're all heart. You know that?"

Luke asked, "Would you have rather 'just' expected being grounded and been surpised?"

"No. I guess you're right." Bo sighed, shook

Luke had pretty much eliminated all the girls in the class ahead of him, either because they had moved away, married, or were just not his type. He was tired of just setting there, tired of laying on the hard bunk and walking was out of the question in the small cell. He stood up and looked out the window watching life in Hazzrd passing him by. Cooter had the hood up on old man Pack's truck. Miss Tizdale had just dropped off the mail for the Couthouse. Rosco was returning no doubt with Boss Hogg's mid afternoon snack. Now, it was either worry about Bo or think of the girls in the classes below him. He knew many of these girls by association because of his younger cousins. Most would be easy to eliminate because they were childish and also under 18. Luke took in the surroundings of his cell and decided that any girl that wasn't about to turn 18 was out of the question.

He was brought out of his thinking when Peggy said, "Luke I've got a letter for you."

Luke took the letter, opened it and read, "Luke,"

"I can't help feeling at least a little responsible for your being there. I should have listened to the rumors about Tommy and not have went out with him.

I'll be sure and tell Dad about the extra help, but what does that have to do with you staying out of trouble? I couldn't imagine not being able to leave a room and I know how much of a free spirit you are ... Jeb tried to tell me basically that you were lucky and that 'ten days wasn't too bad.' I asked him if he intended to tell you that. He said he thought you knew that already. Do you believe him?????

I will save the part run for you. Sorry about the food there. I'll even buy as a welcome home present. I've got to get to bed to get up for school in the morning. Night.

Dixie"

Luke held the short note out from him a bit, then brought it back closer and re-read it. He'd write back to Dixie later. Many things were going through his head, as he again began to run the younger girls through his mind. He had eliminated several when Dixie Davenport came to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

The principal sent Kool-Aid, who was on his off period, to the class room that Beth was in. "Can I see Beth for a minute?" he asked.

The girl stood and walked over to him. "What is it?"

"Bo's suspended, honey... He just wanted to let you know that either he or Jesse will pick you up, but if it's him, he's parking across the street."

Beth nodded. "Thanks," she said softly, going back to sit down.

The other girls snickered, having heard what Kool-Aid said. Beth said nothing, but kept the same dignified set to her self as she glanced at Daisy. "Daisy, honey," she said softly. "Did I give you my notebook?"

Daisy nodded and reached down to the side of her desk. "Sorry, sugar. I forgot."

Beth smiled. "That's alright," and she looked back at the teacher as if nothing had ever happened.

~ ~ ~ ~

After school, Daisy and Beth rounded up Jeb. "Let's go," Beth said. "Before we have any more trouble."

The three of them went outside looking for their ride.

Looking around, the three of them found that...............

Cue Dixie

After leaving Luke at the jailhouse, Bo went to find Uncle Jesse and keep his word to the principal. He had checked the time by the courthouse clock and found that Jesse would likely still be on the mountain so Bo headed the General Lee in the direction of still site #4. He parked beside Jesse's truck and waited several minutes to make sure that he hadn't been followed, then he quietly started the short walk to the still site near the top of the mountain. As he approached the still sight he was careful not to trip the cans on the wire that would warn anyone at the still someone was in the area unless you knew exactly where the wire was. Both Bo and Luke could find it in pitch darkness and never trip it. When Bo was less than twenty feet away he called softly, "Uncle Jesse." so that he wouldn't take Jesse by surprise when Jesse did see or hear him.

"Bo? What in tarnation are you doing here it can't be that late." Jesse said reaching for his pocket watch.

"No, Sir. It's still early yet." Bo dropped his head just a bit expecting the next question.

"Then what are you doing here? You haven't skipped school since you and Beth have been together....."

Bo interupted Jesse thoughts, "No, Sir. And I'm not skipping now. Ya, see....." Bo pause, after Luke told him just how much trouble he may be in, Bo was really dreading this, "Tommy Smith yelled at me right in the main hall of the school today and then said something about Luke and well, ....." Bo again paused, "I ain't gonna let him talk about any of us especially Luke in front of the whole school." Bo took a deep breath and finished his story much quieter and slower, "So I, ........ shut him up. The principal let me bring the General home since he couldn't call you or Luke. I gave him my word I'd come tell you all about it, but he's still going to call you later........."

"Bo Duke." Jesse said just a bit louder than his normal voice, "It ain't enough that Luke is in jail for fighting TWICE, but now you have to get into your own fight in school no less, have you forgotten that in a few months you will have a child to set an example for? Do you want to end up in jail with Luke?"

"No, Sir, but I couldn't walk away from from this one in front of the whole school." Bo tried to justify.

Jesse was having none of it, "That is no excuse! I am never held to fighting and you two know that. You've got me so mad i could spit! Now, I want you to take the General straight home and the chores better be done when I get there."

Bo knew he was in deep on this one, "Yes, Sir." Before he started for the General he stopped and said, "The others will be needin' a ride home from school."

"I'll leave from here and get them. You stay at the house and we might just have to have us a long talk out in the barn when I get there." Jesse said. He was mad enough to whip the hid off of Bo and Luke both right now but knew that he'd never whip them to hurt them but to teach them a lesson because he loved them.

"Yes, Sir and I'm sorry for causing more problems." Bo said as he walked off.

After school, Daisy and Beth rounded up Jeb. "Let's go," Beth said. "Before we have any more trouble."

The three of them went outside looking for their ride.

Looking around, the three of them found that Jesse's truck was parked outside the front door of the school but Jesse was no where to be found. They figured that Jesse had went to talk to the principal. Jeb jumped in the back of the truck and took a seat on the side of the truck as Beth and Daisy leaned against the side of the truck.

Jeb was the first to speak, "Looks like Jesse's really mad at Bo or he'd have been here."

Daisy shot him a look. She didn't want to upset Beth any more than neccessary.

About that time Dixie Davenport came up to the truck. She had been in hall when the fight broke out as had most of the school. Seeing Jesse's truck instead of the General Lee she figured out much of what she didn't know, "I guess it wouldn't be such a good idea to ask to come over?"

Daisy smiled just a bit, "Sugar, you know you are welcome at our house anytime, but I don't think things at home will be real enjoyable tonight."

Dixie nodded, "That's pretty much what I figured." She then turned to Jeb and said, "Ya'll take care and tell that cousin of yours 'Hi' for me when you see him."

They knew she was talking about Luke ..... but no one thought anything about it ....

When Dixie Davenport came to Luke's mind he immediately crossed her off his 'list' as a possible girlfriend, after all she was Cooter's sister. His 'little' sister at that. As close as they all were it would never work. Someone would get mad or hurt and friendships with their families could be lost. The Davenports were both considered family with the Dukes and Luke felt like trying to see Dixie would be like trying to see Daisy, at least that's what his mind was telling him........