Way too many Role playing!

dukefan

Off the top, there must be at least 10 different story telling, which of most beginners and late comers and people like me who have been gone a long time , just can't play.

Maybe it's just me, but the one Kay started , which I am part of , never gets any attention like the other ones do, only mostly me , Daisy and Kay, well 80% of the time anyways.

I am just ranting, but to me there is just to many on this site.....

Off the top, there must be at least 10 different story telling, which of most beginners and late comers and people like me who have been gone a long time , just can't play.

Maybe it's just me, but the one Kay started , which I am part of , never gets any attention like the other ones do, only mostly me , Daisy and Kay, well 80% of the time anyways.

well cousin its not all bad but some of them are old and some of them are which people have ran out of ideas for

Off the top, there must be at least 10 different story telling, which of most beginners and late comers and people like me who have been gone a long time, just can't play.

Maybe it's just me, but the one Kay started, which I am part of, never gets any attention like the other ones do, only mostly me, Daisy and Kay, well 80% of the time anyways.

I am just ranting, but to me there is just too many on this site.....

I would have to disagree with you on this issue. I feel that the Role Plays are fine. RPing is an art that is supposed to give mainly the RP players pleasure, not really the audience, although if an RP is written right it can be very enjoyable for the audience.

As for old RP's, the reason why some have stopped is because of life changes in individuals, lack of ideas, or the cast of players has just gotten tired of the RP.

At one time I was an avid RP player. Now, I only RP in private. The reason I give for this is because I enjoy private RP or writing fanfiction. Sure forum RP is fun but I would like to be able to RP or RR with those muses/authors that I know and I know their styles.

See every writer has a certain style and how they like to conduct things. Just because styles don't match don't take offense. It's nothing personable, just the way it is. You can determine if your style fits their own by RPing in a chat room. If things go smooth and you can tell that this person you're working with picks up on some of the little things that you do then you may have an RP partner. If they don't, well at least you tried and had fun trying. The reasons that there are so many RP's and they go untouched are numerous. It's hard to say why a RP writer doesn't RP on the forum board anymore. So don't take offense to it, if someone no longer RP's. They may have their reasons, and those reasons are personal. I see many new comers come in here wanting to RP, which it's great that they do. However just because they want to RP doesn't mean everyone else wants to or is interested. Older writers have their reasons for quitting and they are allowed to quit when they want to. It maybe that the writer just doesn't feel like it anymore and misses the partners they had too much that to write RP or RR again in public is painful. Yes, a relationship forms between writers when you RP or RR. So if you see a lot of old RP's laying around that are unfinished, either ask the cast if they want to pick it up, or let them lay. Some stories just are never meant to be finished...

I would have to disagree with you on this issue. I feel that the Role Plays are fine. RPing is an art that is supposed to give mainly the RP players pleasure, not really the audience, although if an RP is written right it can be very enjoyable for the audience.

As for old RP's, the reason why some have stopped is because of life changes in individuals, lack of ideas, or the cast of players has just gotten tired of the RP.

At one time I was an avid RP player. Now, I only RP in private. The reason I give for this is because I enjoy private RP or writing fanfiction. Sure forum RP is fun but I would like to be able to RP or RR with those muses/authors that I know and I know their styles.

See every writer has a certain style and how they like to conduct things. Just because styles don't match don't take offense. It's nothing personable, just the way it is. You can determine if your style fits their own by RPing in a chat room. If things go smooth and you can tell that this person you're working with picks up on some of the little things that you do then you may have an RP partner. If they don't, well at least you tried and had fun trying. The reasons that there are so many RP's and they go untouched are numerous. It's hard to say why a RP writer doesn't RP on the forum board anymore. So don't take offense to it, if someone no longer RP's. They may have their reasons, and those reasons are personal. I see many new comers come in here wanting to RP, which it's great that they do. However just because they want to RP doesn't mean everyone else wants to or is interested. Older writers have their reasons for quitting and they are allowed to quit when they want to. It maybe that the writer just doesn't feel like it anymore and misses the partners they had too much that to write RP or RR again in public is painful. Yes, a relationship forms between writers when you RP or RR. So if you see a lot of old RP's laying around that are unfinished, either ask the cast if they want to pick it up, or let them lay. Some stories just are never meant to be finished...

well ive thought of a few ideas

Not very one is going to like what you write. You can't please every one.

So what that your story isn't getting that many readers as some other stories. Some people are going to like your story why others don't. Your going to have to get over it. Not everyone taste are same. Most people rr because they love to write with other people and from the sound of it you do to, but to say there are just to many on this site is wrong. You have no more say then anyone else who can post stores or not.

RPs and RRs a very unique beasts I've learned over the years. LOL. What Val says above it absolutely true. Basically RPs and RRs are easy come, easy go. Some writers just don't click right in an RP. Some of the last RPs I participated in I had to bow out of because I just couldn't get on the same wave length as the other writers. It wasn't anything personal or that I didn't like the story line (err..well..LOL) but I just couldn't keep up with the flow.

Jessi is right in that not everyone's gonna read the RPs or participate. However, Jessi, Dukefan wasn't trying to tell anybody what they can and can't post. I can understand Dukefan's frustration about being in an RR and it seems like nobody else wants to play. That seemed to be the jist of his point. I've been there but I know that that's the way it is. Cest la vie.

The important part is, write what you want to write. Write for your enjoyment. If other folks participate and all, that's even better. But the thing is, have fun with it yourself first.

So let's not turn this into an arguement over the RPs ok? :)

I always liked the idea of RPing but really haven't done it much. The main reason is that I feel bad if I don't log on one evening and it slows everybody down. Even if I do log on, sometimes I only have a short ammount of time and want to focus on other posts. I would be interested in RPing in a thread that might be looking for an Uncle Jesse.....as long as I would only be a small part in the story and people could work around me if I didn't post anything for a day or two. Even if I was only a small part, it would be fun to follow a story in detail. As it is now, I only occasionally glance at some of the stories. We sure do have some talented creative people on the HazzardNet......

You are a perfect Uncle Jesse Roger...perfect.

Just to throw my two cents in since we are talking a subject I know well...

I love to rp, I really do, but I don't rp with everyone. Please don't be offended if I dont take part in stories. As everyone has said, rp and rr tend to be unique beasts...probably because if you have any bit of an author in ya, you put yourself into the characters you play. It's easy to get frustrated when not everyone is on your train of thought.

BoJames and I are coming up on our rp anniversary. I think it's 3 years now...seems like forever. we rp and talk most every day. We know what each other likes, we know what we don't like. We know how we interpret characters, and we bounce ideas off each other real well. We can anticipate each others actions and sometimes, as those of you on chat have witnessed, each others' thoughts as well. For this reason, I guess I am spoiled. It's not that I won't rp with anyone else, I do. But for me it's really hard to adjust to someone else. Also, and pardon me if this sounds a bit silly, but sometimes rp can be a really personal thing, at least it is for me. It might be just writing a story, but like it or not when you rp or write a part of you as a person comes out into your words. So it's not something that I CAN share with just anyone...even if I wanted to.

I hope all that makes sense. LOL

I'd like to RR with you and DaisyXEnos.

I don't have an idea for a possible plot by now, but we may try something.

I'm going to start a new RR this evening (afternoon for you, LOL), and I'd like you join it.

Everyone is accepted; only a request: please, original characters (or ask me before to add created characters..... I like created characters, but not too much in a single story :)).

I always liked the idea of RPing but really haven't done it much. The main reason is that I feel bad if I don't log on one evening and it slows everybody down. Even if I do log on, sometimes I only have a short ammount of time and want to focus on other posts. I would be interested in RPing in a thread that might be looking for an Uncle Jesse.....as long as I would only be a small part in the story and people could work around me if I didn't post anything for a day or two. Even if I was only a small part, it would be fun to follow a story in detail. As it is now, I only occasionally glance at some of the stories. We sure do have some talented creative people on the HazzardNet......

You're right, Roger.

RPing requires a lot of time. For this reason I prefer Round Robin (so, even if I'm not connected, people can go on without waiting for my lines).

I agree with DaisyMae, Val and Maryanne too.

Everyone has a different way in RPing or RRing (as everyone has a unique way of writing fic), and not all styles match.

RPing or RRing is like writing fic for me. I use the same style, and maybe not everyone likes it (it's a natural thing).

I always try to build a story or write something that has a direction, and I don't like roaming, writing lines here or there by chance (especially if I don't know very well the story before joining in) .

Anyway, I like very much RR, 'cause it gives me the chance to writing even if I've not a plot, or when I have an idea but it's not complete. Well, RRing is an alternative to writing fanfic when I'm confused 'bout a possible plot.

I don't know if it's a right way to start a RR, but I like it. :p

Edited by i1976

I been reading what y'all been saying and I guess it makes since, it's just most of them I can't join, I would have to read from page one till now to be able too, and that is so much to read, and all of them are like that.

I like to rp too, write stories and so on, even though I am not that good at it, when it comes to writing it down. I do have imagination, but I am not as good into putting it into words .

I also been reading some contest about, take a pic, and make a story about it and how it came to be, now that was interesting.:)

I been reading what y'all been saying and I guess it makes since, it's just most of them I can't join, I would have to read from page one till now to be able too, and that is so much to read, and all of them are like that.

I like to rp too, write stories and so on, even though I am not that good at it, when it comes to writing it down. I do have imagination, but I am not as good into putting it into words .

I also been reading some contest about, take a pic, and make a story about it and how it came to be, now that was interesting.:)

If you want to join in, I'm going to start a new round robin.

I've not many ideas, but I'm going to try something.

What 'bout to add pics in a round robin? Just an idea.

That's understandable. Many RP's do go for pages and pages on end. I respect that you don't just jump in without wanting to read what has already been posted. That tells me you are very respectful of others work and styles. That's a noble trait to have dukefan and I respect you for it.

Yes, when a person joins an RP they should read everything from start to finish of the posts. It's a story and needs to be treated like a story. You can't read a book properly by starting in the middle and going forward then reading the begining after you've finished can you? I've seen people who try to join an rp in the middle and end up failing miseribly because they didn't read from the begining. However don't let that discourage you. I know folks, myself included, who have started in the middle of an rp and done well but the only reason why we did well was because we read from the begining to the last post before joining the RP. Sometimes RP's are great that way. Believe me, that's how I got my main muse's start was joining an RP in the middle. However I researched before I joined and thought about what I was going to say before I stepped into the 'chaos'. RP posts are best when you stop and think about how it relates to the story and how you can contribute to the story line.

So enjoy and have fun... That's really what RP's are about.

That's understandable. Many RP's do go for pages and pages on end. I respect that you don't just jump in without wanting to read what has already been posted. That tells me you are very respectful of others work and styles. That's a noble trait to have dukefan and I respect you for it.

Yes, when a person joins an RP they should read everything from start to finish of the posts. It's a story and needs to be treated like a story. You can't read a book properly by starting in the middle and going forward then reading the begining after you've finished can you? I've seen people who try to join an rp in the middle and end up failing miseribly because they didn't read from the begining. However don't let that discourage you. I know folks, myself included, who have started in the middle of an rp and done well but the only reason why we did well was because we read from the begining to the last post before joining the RP. Sometimes RP's are great that way. Believe me, that's how I got my main muse's start was joining an RP in the middle. However I researched before I joined and thought about what I was going to say before I stepped into the 'chaos'. RP posts are best when you stop and think about how it relates to the story and how you can contribute to the story line.

So enjoy and have fun... That's really what RP's are about.

Way cool Val, and thank you for the nice comment. I do respect all the rp's in here, and I would never just continue it from the last post. I like knowing what the "whole" story is about before I put my 2 censt worth...lol

I might start one soon, hard to tell, I have an idea, but I am still working on it. I love stories.

By reading what is on here already, I can developpe a better technique in my style. A lot of you are excellent writters and an inspiration to me.

Thanks for your support by telling me not to get discouraged, what you had to say made perfect sense to me.:)

Way cool Val, and thank you for the nice comment. I do respect all the rp's in here, and I would never just continue it from the last post. I like knowing what the "whole" story is about before I put my 2 censt worth...lol

I might start one soon, hard to tell, I have an idea, but I am still working on it. I love stories.

By reading what is on here already, I can developpe a better technique in my style. A lot of you are excellent writters and an inspiration to me.

Thanks for your support by telling me not to get discouraged, what you had to say made perfect sense to me.:)

You're welcome. Writing really is about style and technique but it's also about reading, which some people fail to realize. If you desire to go into writing more, don't be afraid to find books at the library about how to write short stories or English composition books. I know that sounds like school work but actually if you look through them you can find some new skills that will help improve writing and make the process easier. Also reading other people's work and learning how they write is a way to develop your skill and make it sharper. Also talking to fellow writers is another way to develop your skills, and if you get into fanfic writing or wanting to polish your RR into a story when it's finished, getting a beta reader to look it over isn't a bad thing either.

Honestly, I have to come clean. When I first started I thought I didn't need a beta reader or that looking over my work was a waste of time. I found that not to be true. It makes your story better, fresher and more enjoyable for the reader if you use those things. I'm not an expert by far but I do know that even the experts use those things.

Which really, I'm kind of glad now you bring all of this up dukefan. It's a real good way for people to understand the technical details of writing, RPing, and brought out some really good discussion on the subject. This was a nice thread to read. I love talking with people about the techniques of writing. It enriches all parties involved and allows the creation of new ideas.

You're welcome. Writing really is about style and technique but it's also about reading, which some people fail to realize. If you desire to go into writing more, don't be afraid to find books at the library about how to write short stories or English composition books. I know that sounds like school work but actually if you look through them you can find some new skills that will help improve writing and make the process easier. Also reading other people's work and learning how they write is a way to develop your skill and make it sharper. Also talking to fellow writers is another way to develop your skills, and if you get into fanfic writing or wanting to polish your RR into a story when it's finished, getting a beta reader to look it over isn't a bad thing either.

Honestly, I have to come clean. When I first started I thought I didn't need a beta reader or that looking over my work was a waste of time. I found that not to be true. It makes your story better, fresher and more enjoyable for the reader if you use those things. I'm not an expert by far but I do know that even the experts use those things.

Which really, I'm kind of glad now you bring all of this up dukefan. It's a real good way for people to understand the technical details of writing, RPing, and brought out some really good discussion on the subject. This was a nice thread to read. I love talking with people about the techniques of writing. It enriches all parties involved and allows the creation of new ideas.

Beta reader, huh Val? That is nice to know.:)

I have deep respect for writers, and for those who are just starting. I helped a friend once, she told what kind of kid story she would like to write for her course, a story about a young girl (9) and her dad, title X-mas or Christmas.

The next day I had a story wrote, I was so inspired and honored she asked my help, so the story just came straight out of me.

I then found out , just how much work it was to properly phrase things, and POV importance in the characters and so on. I never realized just how tuff, making my story readable and entertaining could be.

Publishers are very stricked on Paragraghs and details of each character and making a story interesting to read, and easy to follow.

We wrote it up at least 5 times, studying other formats and such, and our first time out, we got praised for the story, however, still needed much work on presentation and such.

Now I am getting to want to write RP, and learn as much as I can, studying others, doing research and so on, all of which you pointed out Val.

Appreciate that lots, and anything worth doing, is worth researching.:)