Dixie's 16th Birthday Surprise alternate ending

B.L. Davenport

Cooter knew the look on both Luther's face and Dixie's. "Dad you know she can hotwire as good as I can. I'll stay here. Dixie are you going anywhere while Dad is gone?"

Dixie's teeth were still gritted tightly. She shook her head 'no'.

Cooter said, "Let her keep the key. She'll be here when you get back."

"I'll even keep her in here with me if ya let her keep it" B.L added her own two cents into it afraid Luther might still whip Dixie.

Luther knew taking the key was a pit pointless. "If you swear you'll stay here in your room?"

Dixie managed to barely say in sniffled gasps, "I swear I"ll be here when you get back."

Luther stomped off towards the wrecker. He thought, 'Those girls are going to be the death of me."

No one moved until the wrecker pulled out. They all three breathed a sigh of relief when Luther pulled out.

Dixie threw her self in Cooter's arms and cried.

Cooter threw his arms around her and swore, "Da-- IT!!!! Ain't YOU learned a da-- thing today?"

Dixie nodded 'yes' but continued to cry. Actually she was more trying to quit crying and was more gasping for air than she was crying.

Cooter asked, "Do you want to go to your room?"

Dixie was holding on to Cooter really tight. She looked up at him and said "I don't think I CAN GO anywhere."

Cooter was holding most of her wait and he knew it. He also knew she couldn't think of setting down, "BL now what?"

BL sighed and shrugged suggesting "Carry her in there?" it was the only thing she could think of.

Cooter carefully put his hand under Dixie's knees and one her back and picked her up. He carried her into her room and was trying to figure out how to put her down on the bed without he having to set down.

While Cooter was thinking Dixie was holding on to Cooter. The last time he remembered carrying her like this was when she was when she was five and had followed him and Luke into the field and found a bees nest. That time she had so many stings on her that he was sure she'd have a reaction. "Dixie I'll stand you up and you can lay across the bed."

Dixie shook her head 'no', "Cooter please just hold me awhile." She paused and said, "I'm sorry ya'll. Really I am. But I'm loosing Luke and I won't loose something he gave me because he got it for me without me even asking him too. Cooter I know I embarassed everyone, but we do love each other. I know that hurts you to hear Cooter."

Cooter set down in a rocker in Dixie's room careful not to touch her behind as he settled her on his lap.

Dixie gritted her teeth as she got settled in his arms, "But, I love him and I want to marry him but LUTHER won't hear of it."

Cooter brushed her hari back away from her eyes, "Dixie could you be pregnant?"

Dixie thougth for a few mintues before answering. She looked down at her left hand at Luke's Mother's engagement ring that Jesse had given her at the farm. Until now Cooter and BL hadn't noticed the ring. Finally Dixie replied, "It's possible but unfortnately not likely. I've been on the pill for about a year now."

Cooter

BL

Cooter and BL had the same reaction at the same time "you WHAT?!" neither one had a clue that she was on the pill.

Dixie repeated what she'd said "I've been on the pill for about a year now"

B.L remembered a conversation that she and Dixie had had a while back "I thought you said you weren't gonna do it until you were married or absolutely sure it was the right guy."

Dixie looked at BL and said, "I am sure ya'll."

Cooter was stunned by this he had no idea the two discussed such things. Looking down he saw the ring on Dixie's left hand and asked "Where'd you get this?"

Dixie looked at her hand and smiled a little "Uncle Jesse gave it to me for Luke it's Luke's mother's engagement ring....see ya'll he DOES love me"

Cooter wasn't sure how to answer his sister. He wanted her happy but he'd known Luke Duke for years. He finally said, "Are you sure it ain't just to get him out of trouble."

Dixie raised her head from Cooter's shoulder and looked him in the eye "I'm sure, I love him Cooter."

Dixie added, "Cooter if you think you can help me up here I'll get off you lap. Thanks, ya'll for everything. I think I'm just going to try to grab a shower and go to bed, ok?"

Cooter helped her up off his lap and looked to BL, who motioned that she'd keep an eye on her.

Dixie still wasn't really steady as she took a large flannel night gown out of her drawer and headed for the bathroom. Once there she locked the door and very carefully go out of her tight jeans. She looked at herself in the mirror. It was obvious she had been crying and her behind was red from the last licks but bruises could be seen starting from the earlier whipping. This was two whippings she'd never forget and the last two she ever intended to get, unless she got caught at what she had planned.

She showered and went back to her room and layed across the bed. BL and Cooter were watching her like a couple hawks. Luther was still gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the jail Bo and Luke were setting on the same bunk. Luke asked Bo, "Why did you feel like you had to get arrested to talk to me?"

"Cause Peggy had already told us to leave today and I couldn't wait til tomorrow. Luke it really bothers me that you are chosing to protect Dixie and not fight for your own freedom. Luke this may be da-- selfish, but that ain't fair to you OR ME!" Bo said.

Luke didn't at this moment in life did not care that Peggy was at the desk or that Rosco may walk in at any time. Luke put his arm around Bo's shoulder. "Bo, I'm sorry really I am about all this. When I saw those drivers license and did teh math between the birth dates, I thought I was going to pass out. I have tried so hard to avoid this very situation. I have warned all you all about it, and yet I find myself waiting to be sentenced to prison because I assumed Dixie was 18." Luke paused, "Bo no matter what I can't change what happened. No matter what I would like to do to make this situation right. I can't largely because Luther won't budge." Luke found himself chocking up, but he was trying to be strong for Bo, "The main thing I'll miss is riding around in the General Lee with you." He swollowed hard then tried to convience Bo that he needed his help. "Bo I need you to do somethings for me. They are really important. Probably the most important is, I'm counting on you to take my part at the farm. I know my chores will be split up, but I mean more with Dais, Jeb, Coy and Vance. You know Jesse counted on me to ry to keep ya'll in line. Bo before I get back, if I come back." He saw the look Bo shot him and held his hand up for him to let him finish. "Bo, Jesse won't slow down unless you and the others get the work done first. He won't be able to work like he does in five, ten and especially not in twenty years. Family and that farm are his life and this is going to hurt him more than you know. And, Bo, don't hate Dixie. It wasn't her fault. I assumed my self into this." Luke smiled at the memories, "Bo we left up where the racing was. You got the General Lee?"

Bo only nodded, 'yes'.

Luke continued, "Then, you see where I parked. I had suggested earlier that she not mention to Daisy about staying at the farm until Uncle Jesse left. That way Luther knew she was going to be at the farm. Jesse didn't. If Daisy got home first she wouldn't have paid it too much attention. My thoughts were not real pure when I parked where I did and I knew she could stay out late. I would never had forced her, but Bo I didn't have too. As much as I'd like to marry her, Luther won't let it happen. I asked Uncle Jesse to give her my Mother's engagement ring."

Bo looked up in shock.

Luke gave him a grin, "You know that is something I've given no other girl. I want Dixie to wear it and have all the promises that go with it for as long as she wants them. Bo, if and when I get out of this, I intend to find her. She'll be well over 18 by then and I indend to knock on her door. He--, she'll likely be married with ten kids but I'm still going. Look after her, please?"

Before Bo could answer, Jesse came down the steps. He asked, "Why in Sam's Hill did you hit Ermie Ledbetter for no reason in the Boar's Nest?" It was obvious that Jesse had talked to Daisy and or Rosco.

Bo looked at him and said, "I'm sorry Uncle Jesse, but I needed to talk to Luke."

Jesse asked, "And, have you?"

Luke nodded, 'yes'.

Jesse said, "Well, then there is no sense in your staying here. I've got you bail money."

Bo shook his head an nodded, 'no'. "Let me stay with Luke. I'll have to go to court and all and I'd rather set here now with Luke than later when he's gone. Judge can likely give me time served or somethng."

Jesse shook his head at the two boys loyality to each other. "Luke?"

Luke thought, looked from one to the other and replied, "Crazy as it sounds, he's making sense. Maybe I am rubbin' off on him." Luke sighed and shook his head, "Let him stay." Frankly, Bo was a good distraction and Luke really needed him right now. "Uncle Jesse did you give Dixie the ring?"

Jesse said, "Yes, I did when she was out to the place earlier."

"She's not grounded for life?" Luke asked in total amazement.

"I figure you want the truth?" Luke nodded, 'yes'. Jesse began, "Luke, when we left here today. Cooter was upstairs waiting to tell her and BL to come straight home. Well, they came to the farm. I called Luther told him I"d have them home soon and fed them a bite to eat. I also gave Dixie the ring which she accepted and put on."

Luke smiled and nodded.

Jesse said, "Dixie told me she was scared to go home. So I went out with them. There was a bad time before court today when I went out and BL had dug herself a hole trying ot keep Dixie from geting whipped. Luther was furious. He hadn't calmed down much buy the time we got there. I stayed to make sure he whipped them not beat them."

Luke dropped his head and closd his eyes. Jesse and Bo saw chills run down both arms.

Jesse continued, "Luke she never said a word, never cried out, just took the whipping that she stepped up to first and then was made to watch BL get hers. They were off to their rooms when I left."

Luke looked up and said barely above a whisper, "Is she Ok?"

Jesse tried to assure him, "Yes."

Luke now asked the question Jesse truely hoped he wouldn't, "How many?"

Jesse sighed and said, "Luke she's ok. That's NOT important."

"It is to me!" Luke said in a bit of a sharper tone than he wanted to use with Jesse, "Sorry, Uncle Jesse. Really I am, but I feel real helpess here. Please, how many?"

Jesse looked at Luke and said, "Firstly, he made each lick count and I talked him into half what he intended to give them. ......................... Luke, .............. He gave ten licks."

Luke had had a whipping from Jesse before that equaled what Jesse described to Luke. He closed he eyes and walked to the back of the cell.

Jesse saw his fists clench repeatidly. "Luke I'm telling you she was fine."

"Uncle Jesse with all due respect, I've had ten licks from you when you were not half as mad as Luther was. Dixie did not deserve that. I might have, but she didn't deserve half of that!" Luke stated matter of factly. "He whipped her cause he could get to me............."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judge Hardcastle was on his way to the jail to tell Luke Duke what he had found when he ran into Rosco who told him that Jesse was there adn tomorrow may be a better time to talk to Luke. Hardcastle allowed himself to be re-routed to the local diner for a late dinner.

Jesse watched and added "Maybe, but she was in the wrong as much as you were. She's alright Luke her hind end is sore but that won't last."

Luke shook his head, Dixie didn't deserve none of that as far as he saw it and he'd like the chance to tell Luther and give him a piece of his mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Davenport farm Dixie had finally fallen asleep while Cooter and B.L watched over her. B.L looked at Cooter and whispered shaking her head "Where'd that defiance come from? She was worse than me, you and Lori all put together."

Cooter scrubbed his hands down his face nodding in agreement he'd never seen Dixie act that way before. Everybody thought she was the quiet good girl but she'd proved today she was just as head strong as any of the rest of them.

At the Duke farm............

At the Duke farm Jesse arrived to find Daisy and Jeb setting on the porch. Daisy had told Jeb about Bo being arrested. WIth Uncle Jesse being gone this late she surely expected Bo to return with Jesse.

Daisy was off the porch and to Jesse befire he was out of the truck good, "Where's Bo?"

Jeb was behind Daisy.

Jesse motioned them both back to the porch. He never had liked to discuss things in the midlle of the yard. "Bo's right where he wanted to be."

Daisy and Jeb's eye were wide as Jesse contined.

"He's setting right beside Luke and doesn't want bonded." Jesse explained, then added, "And, don't either of you two go pulling the same danged fool stunt he did!" Jesse grouched in frustrated annoyance.

Daisy couldn't believe what she had heard ....................

Jeb knew the two was close, but to be arrested to be with someone was a bit far fetched. He ..............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cooter looked at the sleeping form on the bed. He knew she wasn't sleeping well from the way she had been jerking in her sleep. Cooter covered his sister up as he heard teh wrecker pull in. "Well, there's Dad. Guess we can head off to bed now."

B.L looked at Dixie on the bed from her place on the end of it "Yeah guess we can" she gets up and heads out the door to her room.

Dixie had been napping but had woke up occassionally while Cooter and BL were in her room talking, but she had acted like she was still asleep. She heard Luther come upatairs talk to Cooter and BL a minute. He opened her door, seen she was there, closed her door and went to his room. Dixie threw her covers back and raised up some. She was sore. Very sore, but that was OK she thought. Quietly as a mouse she opened her closet and found a large duffle bag type suitcase. She began to put everything that meant something to her in it. She had pictures of Luke and the Dukes as well as of the Davenports and the cars. Her yearbooks. Notebooks with things songs and stories she had written with her most private thoughts. She also packed a few of her favorite outfits. Dixie made sure that she took anything that would give them any idea what she was up to with her. She smiled as she tucked the titles to Dixie Delight and her T-Bird away. She could only drive one but she'd get the T-Bird. She had a plan for that. She looked around her room again. It had been a couple hours since Luther came in. She slide the bag under her bed and went to the bathroom just to see if anyone was still awake or greeted her in the hall. They didn't. Back in her room she locked her bedroom door from the inside, tossed her bag out the window, she had dressed under her gown in not so tight jeans, T-shirt, jacket and boots which she threw down to be put on in the car. Once out the window and onto the roof, Dixie made her way to outside Lori's room and used the same tree Lori had often used to do about the same thing Dixie was doing. On the ground she gathered her boots and bag and made her way to Dixie Delight. She was lucky that she parked on a pretty good hill as she held in the clutch and drifted a good ways down the drive before she started the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In town Dixie circled town square twice to make sure she hadn't been followed before easing into an alley a short distance from the jail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the jail Bo and Luke were talking quietly. Peggy was working a crossword puzzle book at the desk. Luke looked up suddenly at Bo. Bo looked at him confused as Luke stood up and walked to the window. Bo was still looking at him as Luke said quietly, "That was Dixie Delight."

Bo said, "Are you sure?"

Luke rolled his eyes at him.

Bo shrugged, "Ok, that was a dumb question." Bo knew Luke's ear for an engine.

Luke stayed at the window as if he were trying to get a breath of what little fresh air he could. His effort was rewarded when he saw Dixie making her way up the street. Luke knew from the way she was walking that she was awefully sore but she was coming toward the window. This could only mean more trouble. He stood on the bunk hoping Peggy wouldn't think anything about it. He tried to keep up idea conversation with Bo, "Be getting hot at nights' soon I like it like this sorta cool where you can breath."

Bo who was setting on the bunk said, "Un-huh."

Only Luke heard through Bo's reply and the unsaid, 'sure you do'. Luke looked at Peggy who wasn't really paying him any attention.

As a matter of fact it had been a long day for her and she found herself getting sleepy. She looked at the coffee pot. It was empty. She picked it up and headed for the gate which she unlocked, went through and locked back. Peggy intended to use the larger coffee pot upstairs and make a fresh pot of coffee, used the restroom and be back down stairs in 5 or 10 minutes.

Luke held his hand out side the window to warn Dixie to be quiet for a minute. As Peggy went up the stairs, Luke said, "What are you doing here? Not that I'm not glad to see ya. Are you Ok? Uncle Jesse told me about you getting whipped on accound of this."

Dixie went down to set on her knees where she could take Luke's hand.

The action wasn't missed by Luke who swore, "Da-- IT!!! You aren't Ok? What the he-- was he thinking to give you ten licks?"

Dixie smiled weakly, "Luke I was sore after the ten," she bit gritted her teeth not sure whether to tell him the rest but figured it would help him understand what she was planning to do. "It was the next three hours later that did the damage."

"Next three? He whipped you AGAIN?" Dixie could see the hopelessness in Luke's eye's at his situtation but there was an underlying fury there too.

Dixie shook her head 'yes', "I asked for it. Really I did. He wanted my and BL's keys. I gave him the T-Bird key but not Dixie's."

"Why?" Luke asked.

"Cause it was something that means something to me. Becasue you bought it for me without me even asking you to." Dixie said. She spotted Bo for the first time, "Bo? What's he doing here?"

Luke shook his head at her statements about the car. "You should have given him the da-- key, Honey."

Dixie said, "I know, but like I told him I could have hot wired it if I wanted to go somewhere which I wasn't planned to until he whipped me again. Luke he WON'T whip me again!"

Luke sighed and said, "Bo here decided he needed to talk to me so he hit Ernie Ledbeter for no reason, then he convienced Jesse to let him stay in until I'm sentenced. Now, what do you mean about not letting Luther whip you again?"

Dixie began, "...............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daisy couldn't believe what she'd heard, Bo had gotten himself arrested to be with Luke that was about the craziest thing he'd ever done she thought.

Jeb knew the two was close, but to be arrested to be with someone was a bit far fetched. He asked "Is Bo CRAZY?!"

Jesse shook his head and said "This has been hard on all of us to see Luke in jail like this but it was more than Bo could take and he he thought he just had to be with Luke and getting arrested was the only way he could do that."

Jeb and Daisy just didn't understand Bo's thinking they thought he'd gone completely off the deep end.

At the Davenport farm all was quiet noone even knew Dixie had left. It had been a long day and they were all exhausted from the events of it.

Dixie began "..........

Dixie began, "Luke, I love you. But, I don't know if I can stand to watch you get sentenced for something I caused. I know that sounds selfish as he--. I also am tired of being treated like a baby. I tired of keeping my mouth shut and I refused to do it. I also REFUSE to be whipped like that again or put BL or anyone else in the position of protecting me. Sweetheart, if BL hadn't have got Cooter in there I don't know IF he would have stopped. I've got a bag in the car." She saw the pained look on Luke's face, but continued, "I'm going back to my mom's when I leave here."

Luke swallowed hard he didn't want Dixie to leave but he could understand why she would and he cursed himself for his assumption again. He closed his eyes and droped his head. "You have no idea how sorry I am for this entire mess. Dixie I really wish you wouldn't go, but I can understand you felling you have to." Luke wanted to asked Dixie to stay, but if he loved her how could he if it meant her being hurt. "I take it they don't know you are here?"

Dixie's eyes went wide as she shook her head, "No."

Luke gritted his teeth, "Da-- IT!!! So now you can't go back even if you wanted too? What about Jesse's?"

Dixie replied, "I could go there anytime. I know that and be welcomed. But, how long would Luther let me stay there?"

"Think, Da-- It! Think, Da-- It!", Luke said to himself. Luke looked at the hand he was holding and saw his Mother's ring on her hand and smiled. "That looks good there, but it needs the gold band with it."

Dixie softly replied, "Yeah, it does."

Bo saw how they were both acting towards each other and he had NEVER seen Luke like this even with Lori. He was totally in shock at Luke wanting to marry DIXIE, even after he now knew she was only SIXTEEN.

Bo........

B.L got up to go to the bathroom and decided to check on Dixie cursing when she found out the door was locked. Going back to her room she happened to look out the window and noticed 'dixieland delight' GONE! Rushing to Cooter's room B.L shook him violently "COOTER WAKE UP!" she whispered urgently.

Cooter tried to get his eyes open and groggily said, "What BL?"

"Dixie's GONE that's what!" B.L explained trying to be quiet so Luther wouldn't be woke up.

Cooter bolted up and exclaimed, "WHAT???"

"Shhh" B.L scolded "you'll wake Luther up and him and Dixie's been at it enough today."

"True. But we got to do something." Cooter stated the obvious

"C'mon we'll go look for her" was B.L's solution.

Cooter said, "She's at the Duke's. Let's go."

B.L followed Cooter out of the house hissing in pain as her behind touched the seat. They coasted out of the driveway heading before cranking up and heading to the Duke farm.

Bo got up as he heard Peggy moving around upstairs, "I'll stand over here so she'll think we're talking."

"Thanks, Bo." Luke said. Luke turned his attention back to Dixie and figured if he was going to say what he felt he only had a few minutes to do so, "Dixie, Honey, I don't want this to be the last time I see you."

"God, Luke, I don't either, but there is NO way Luther would let me come see you. It would have to be after I'm 18." Dixie said.

Luke was grasping at straws, "We'll figure something out to stay in touch. You are wearing my ring and I'm promising all the promises that go with it. I know you are young and you have a lot of life to live, so I won't even ask you to wait on me, but I'll promise you something else. One of these days when you least expect it, you are going to open the door and find me looking for you."

"I'll be waiting, Luke." Dixie said full of truth and honesty.

Bo was trying not to hear their conversation but to provide them with cover but the couldn't believe what he was seeing here. He decided to add, "If either of you want messages passed or what ever, I'll do it."

When Luke turned to Bo, he had tears in his eyes, "Thanks Bo. I really mean that."

Dixie also was pretty choked up, "Yeah, me too Bo. Take care of him for me."

That hit home with Bo, and he looked from Dixie to Luke and back to Dixie, "I'll dang sure try my best." The thoughts of Luke being locked up in anyone of many prisons through out the state miles from friends and family cut like a knife with Bo.

Luke realized he may never touch or see Dixie again. He was holding on so tight to her hand that he hoped he wasn't hurting her, though she was holding on tightly to him also. He could feel her trembling.

Dixie was trembling, but not from cold, it was the whole situation that she'd been in the last 48 hours. "Luke I don't want to go, but if they find me here. If they find me at all, I'm in for it again."

Luke knew she had to go or she would get caught by Peggy or someone. There was one very important issue they hadn't talked about, "Dixie, Jesse asked me something the other day. I answered him the only way I knew to. You were there. You know what we did and what we didn't use. He asked me if you could be pregnant. I told him it would be the only good thing to come out of this. Though I wouldn't want you to have to be alone I'd like to think that a part of me was with you. Could you be?"

Dixie said honestly, "Luke, I could be, but the chances are really slim. I've been on the pill awhile now."

Luke nodded, "I guess it's for the best really if you ain't, but swear to me, even if you never want to see me again, swear that you will find a way to let me know?"

"I promise you that." Dixie added, "I swear to you I will and I'll be proud to let the world know you are the father."

Luke smiled weakly, "Fair enough." Was what he said but their were many painful thoughts running through his head about now that he knew he didn't have time to go into. He looked at the sky and knew it was almost dawn, "Dixie I don't want you to go. I wished you could find a way to stay just the next few days." Tears were openly flowing down his cheeks, "I understand that you have to go, so don't feel guilty and don't worry about me. I can do what I have to in order to come find you one day. Do you have gas? Money?"

Dixie smiled at his last questions, "I've got a bit of money I saved. I only have about a half tank, but my garage keys says I'll be full when I leave. I also plan to take a couple select charge account cards. That should set the old man back enough to make him regret whipping me like he did." She looked past Luke, "Bo yours is one of them."

Bo grinned at her, "Dixie you don't have to do that."

Dixie said, "Believe me I want to!"

Luke asked, "When you get where you are going will you call Peggy from a pay phone or somewhere and have her tell me you made it, please."

Dixie saw the tears flowing much faster with that question. "I swear you'll know either way."

Luke couldn't do this much more, "Dixie I love you but if you are going, you've got to get out of here for they figure this out. I'm first place they'll look."

Dixie dropped down almost as if she were going to do a push up. She put her face to the bars and said, "I'm not going anywhere with out a kiss."

Luke signaled Bo to keep a look out for them. Luke got as close to the bars as he could. He had both hands through the bars and was petting Dixie's hair as he kissed her deeply.

Bo was keeping a watch but couldn't help but sneak a glance at the two lovers kissing their final kiss. It was a very long very passionate kiss and Bo knew Luke was going to be in misery a long time after it was over.

The kiss finally ended and they were eye to eye, nose to nose and mouth to mouth, when Dixie said, "Luke I love you. I always have and always will and I hope by some miracle I am carrying your child. I love you so much."

Luke stayed where he was and said, "I love you too, Dixie. Even in this situation it would make me so happy to know you were having my baby. Please let me know and please let me know you made it with out being caught. I love you enough to go through all this. I never wanted to cause you any pain. I have. I know I have. I'm sorry and I love you." Luke pulled his head back just a bit and said, "Now, get outta here!"

They squeezed each others hands and kissed a final kiss. They looked in each others eyes for a long moment not saying a word. Finally, Dixie stood up and ran as fast and as hard as she could to her car. Luke never moved. He heard her start up somewhere close by and drive to the garage. She left the engine run as she unlocked the garage, turned on the gas pumps, filled the car up, returned inside cut off the pumps, and went to the charge tickets. Any one with the name Duke or Davenport, Dixie tucked in her pocket.

Leaving no record that any of them owed Luther a cent! She smiled as she turned off the light, locked the garage and pulled out slow and easy. At the jail, she stopped seeing Luke still standing at the bars. She threw her hand up and heard him call as she pulled out, "Be careful!" Dixie tapped her brake light to let him know she heard him. She was off toward Alabama just as fast as she could go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the exact same time Cooter and BL had pulled into the Duke farm. They scanned the yard for Dixie's car. No luck. Cooter was more awake and thinking now, "She could be here, just hide the car." He looked to see if he saw any lights in the house and saw .........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile back at the jail, Bo....

Luke........

He looked to see if he saw any lights in the house and saw the kitchen light come on signaling that Uncle Jesse was fixing to start cooking breakfast. Cooter looked at B.L and said "c'mon let's ask Jesse if she's here."

The two made their way up to the door and knocked Jesse wondered who could be there so early as he made his way to the door, opening it he was surprised to see Cooter there but even more surprised to see B.L with him.

"What brings ya'll by so early?" Jesse asked

"Have you seen Dixie? she's gone" B.L answered getting right to the point

Jesse shook his head he hadn't seen Dixie since he'd dropped them off at the Davenport farm. "I'll get the others and we'll help ya'll look.

While Jesse was getting the others up and out looking Cooter and B.L continued their search going to the next logical place that Dixie would be or have been the jail. Rushing inside and straight down to the cells they saw Peggy sitting behind the desk with her crossword puzzle book. She looked up as the running feet pounded down the steps saying "sorry no visitors until 8am."

Cooter said "Peggy it's urgent Dixie's missin' we gotta talk to Luke."

Peggy rose from her chair and let them in and they rushed over to the cell Luke and Bo came over and asked "Dixie's missing?" both were of course playing dumb.

B.L was a little frazzled and reached through the bars grabbing Luke by his collar and said "I know you either know where she is or you've seen her now talk!"

Luke replied, "BL how could I have seen her with Peggy setting fifteen ft away?"

B.L still held onto Luke's shirt and pulled him closer to the bars "IF there was away you did it. NOW where is she?!

Cooter was reaching to,grab BL's hands "BL let go!"

Bo agreed with Luke of course, "She hasn't come to visit him since I've been here."

B.L refused to release Luke even as Cooter grabbed her hands and tried to remove them she didn't believe Bo either.

Peggy shook her head, "No ones been here at all until ya'll came in."

B.L wasn't buying it at all, Peggy could have not noticed Dixie if she'd been outside and she couldn't set at that desk without taking a few breaks so it was possible she had missed seeing Dixie.

"Luke I know you HAVE to know something Dixie wouldn't split without coming to see you. I'm not going to tell Luther where she is and neither is Cooter but we got to find her!"

Luke never admitted knowing where Dixie was but said, "If you find her, you'll bring her back. If she comes back, how bad will she be beat this time?"

Cooter said "She won't be beat Luke Dad don't even know she's gone."

"If we can find her he'll never know." B.L added

Luke was debating with himself. Tell where Dixie went so he could see her and her maybe get whipped again. Or keep quiet, accept that he wouldn't be seeing her for a long time and know she was safe. Luke gave himself away to everyone in the room as he looked down at the floor a second too long before answering, "I don't know where she is." He had basically agreed to go to prison to protect Dixie from pain and embarrassment, and he be da--ed if he'd possibly put her in danger now. He turned and walked to the back of the cell. The conversation was over.

Cooter sighed and took BL by the arm, "Come on. We're wasting time."

Peggy offered, "Do you want me to report this to Sheriff Coultrane?"

B.L let Cooter pull her away from the bars. B.L looked at Cooter with wide eyes hearing Peggy's offer.

Cooter shook his head and said "No thanks Peggy that's ok, Jesse and the rest are gonna help us look we'd rather not get Rosco involved."

Both knew if Rosco got involved and he found her he'd take her right back to Luther and all hell would break loose.

Luke breathed a sigh of relief when Cooter turned down Rosco's 'help'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke studied the situation. Dawn was about 5AM so Dixie should be calling the jail about 10AM. He figured it was now about 6AM, so she should be well out of the County now.

Bo asked, "Don't you think you should have told them something?"

Luke replied, "Not until she calls here telling me she's Ok."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie checked the clock she was making good time with no one in her rear view mirror.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie was about a block from her Mother's house when she pulled off at a small gas station. She placed the call to the Hazzard County Jail.

"Thank you for calling the Hazzard Jail, Sgt. Blevins speaking." Peggy said professionally.

"Peggy this is Dixie Davenport. I figure everyone has been there to asl Luke if he knew where I was. Well, he doesn't, but coul you tell him that I'm Ok and I am where I was going?" Dixie said.

Peggy tried, "Do you want me to tell him where you are?"

Dixie declined, "Peggy it's best he not know where I am, but please let him know I'm here and Ok?"

Peggy shrugged and replied, "Ok I sure will. I'm sure he'll feel better now."

Peggy hung up the phone and headed over to the cell where Bo and Luke were talking amoung themselves quietly, "Luke, Dixie Davenport just called. She said to tell you she was 'there' and Ok. I did ask her where she was and she said it was best you didn't know." Peggy saw relief flood over Luke. Maybe he did know more than she thought he knew.

Luke let out a long breath as if he'd been holding his breath a long time and said, "Thanks, Peggy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short while later Luke had a un expected visitor. Judge Hardcastle came by and took up a seat to talk to him. He looked at Luke, then reconized his cousin setting beside him on the bunk. "Luke? Isn't that your cousin?"

Luke nodded, "Yes, Sir, he is my cousin, Bo, and likely your arraignment this morning."

Hardcastle turned to Bo and asked, "Son why would I be arraigning you this morning?"

Bo cleared his throat to find his voice and answered, "I sorta picked teh biggest guy in the Boar's Nest last night and went over and decked him."

Hardcastle's eyes opened wide at the young Dukes' admission. "For no reason?"

"Right." Bo replied.

"Why would you do such a thing?" Hardcastle asked.

Bo was now feeling just a bit remorseful but answered, "I felt it was the only way to talk to Luke here for more than a few minutes."

Hardcastle studied the two cousins. He had heard the cousins were close. Finally he began, "You know son I don't have any relatives I'd go to jail for and none that I know of would go to jail JUST to talk to me. That's says something about you two. AND, make me feel my research may not have been invain. "Luke you impress me as a man who is more than willing to fight for things you feel you have too or is right?"

Luke shrugged and said, "Well, yeah, but what......?"

Hardcastle continued, "Let me finish here. I am a stickler for law. Now the law says that for the crime you plead guilty to I MUST sentence you to a prison sentence of twenty years flat." He paused, "I don't want to do that.I have heard and seen how you, Ms. Davenport, and you family are together. You point was well made when you used your Uncle Jesse, my secretary, and myself as a prime example of how you can know people for many years and not pay attention to age. Also, without any communication between you two, Ms. Davenport expressed her willingness and even the intialazation of the events. Therefore, had you been a year younger or her a year older, you would be home in your bed and her father would just have a bad headache." Hardcastle sort of grinned. He did not like Mr. Davenport's attitude, but he had a duty to the law, the courts and all parties involved. He explained this duty to Luke and Bo, then he added, "I feel in this case the punishment is far worse than the crime but if I had to I would have sentenced you accordingly. But, I have done some research and I find you have an option should I choose to incorporate it into your sentencing."

Luke was all ears.

Judge Hardcastle continued. "Luke I am not sure if you have watched the news but the United States is getting ready for a conflict with Vitenam. The nations alert level gives me the leway to instate an option into your sentence but I want to give you time to talk it over with your family. Frankly, the situation of national defense and that of our friends looks poor. In a nut shell I believe the sh-- is about to hit the fan. Therefore, should you be willingly to join any branch of military and they accept you, then I can seal your records and they will be closed. Once your tour of duty is up, should you survive, you will be a free productive US citiazen. This is totally up to you and I offer it to you because I feel you would be more benifit to our country fighting for it than locked up in a prison. Should you be dishonorabally discharged, you would have to report to me and possibly be sentenced to the orginal sentence."

Luke heard what the Judge said, "So you are offering me a one time enlistment in any branch of service I'd choose, provided they take me, verses a life locked in a cell for twenty years."

Bo felt sick. Either way he felt he'd be loosing Luke and BOTH had permanent possiblities.

Hardcastle said, "Now either way you could be injured or killed. I can't promise you a safe return either way.

Luke stated, "I fully understnad that."

Hardcastle asked, "So are youinterested?"

Luke replied, "Absolutely."

Hardcastle replied, "I'll get you more information. Is there any particular branch you'd prefer?"

Without much of a thought, Luke replied, "Marines."

Hardcastle said, "Talk it over with Jesse and everyone. I'll see if I can't get a recruiter to talk to you about your options."

Luke took a deep breath after Hardcastle left, "BO! Did you hear that? I MAY NOT have to go to prison?"

Bo...................

Hardcastle then left the two alone to discuss what he had just told Luke he'd seen the crestfallen look on Bo's face he knew he didn't like the option without him saying a word.

Bo lost it he got up from the cot they were sitting on "You may not be in a prison cell but you could DIE in a god forsaken country on the other side of the world!"

Luke got really quiet with his next statement. "Bo I'd rather die for my country than to be treated as a 'rapist' in prison. I know I basically signed my own ticket here to protect Dixie, but those guys live hard. Real hard IF they live.

Bo said "They have guards in prison to protect you there's NOONE in war! And I could still come and see you on visiting day I can't do that if your in 'nam."

Luke looked at Bo, "You'd rather me be in prison for 20 yrs instead doing a hitch and coming home?"

Bo shook his head that's not what he'd meant at all he didn't want Luke to do either one. Luke gave Bo the sincerest look he'd ever given anyone and said

"Bo I promise you I will come home from 'nam as soon as my enlistment is over. I think I'd be safer in 'nam than prison."

Bo spouted off "You don't know that!" then he flopped down on the other bunk and sulked, he'd talk Jesse into his way of thinking he thought to himself.

Dixie pulled up to her Mother's house which was likely a home of a plantaion owner during the Civil War. Her grandfather had bought it for her Mother after she had left Dixie and Cooter's father. Her Granparents had never wanted their daughter to see Luther Davenport a common mechanic from Hazzard County.

Before Dixie could get to the porch her Mother was out the door. "Are you OK? Look at you just look at you in dungarees."

Dixie sighed. She wasn't sure now which was worse. Her mother's ideas of what a lady should dress in or a whipping from Luther about how a lady should act! "Mother I have worn blue jeans for years and I am fine."

"I told you that you'd be back here. Didn't I?" Her Mother had an arrogant look on her face.

Dixie cut to the chase, "I changed my mind. I do want to go to school. But on two conditions...." Dixie paused. She felt her Mother would be only to happy to go along with. "First, I don't want ANYONE from Hazzard to know I'm here or where I go. Not even Dad. Second I want to go to school somewhere far away."

Though her Mother couldn't help but wonder about Dixie's sudden change in attitude, if it meant getting her away from the likes of the Davenport's she'd take without questions for now. "Come on in the house I still have the information on the schools I tried to get you to go to before."

Dixie went inside with her Mother and flipped through the schools. Most were either to close to her Mother or Hazzard or up North. Dixie really preferred to say in the Southern states. She finally seen one located in Asheville NC. It was the Ashville School. The location seemed far enough away without being out of the South. She flipped the information back to her Mother, "This one."

Her Mother had checked all the schools out before and knew it was a good school. She picked up the phone and made the call.

NARRATOR: Now folks, anyone who's ever tried to get into a school knows it just isn't this simply. But with a private school money talks and Dixie's Grandfather had the money to talk.

When her mother got off the phone she said, "You are in luck. The school is still on break, the Director said you could report tomorrow to get settled in."

"Mom if it's all the same to you, could we leave today? We can get a hotel tonight and be there early in the morning. Maybe we could do some shopping when we get there since you don't like m clothes." Dixie suggested.

Her Mother said, "I'll call Grandfather and tell him of your change of heart and let him know we will be leaving as soon as I can get a few things together. You are NOT thinking of taking that horrid car are you?"

Dixie bucked, "That is not open for discussion. Yes, I am. I'll get my other car there once I get settled."

Dixie's Mother saw that Davenport stubborn streak and knew when to back off if she wanted to win war about where her daughter went to school. "Ok, fine. Go in your old room and see what you have there that will be more appropriate for a private school." Dixie gave her Mother time call her grandfather and set the phone off the hook in her old room which would tie up the line in case anyone from Hazzard decided to call before they could leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile Cooter, BL and the Dukes search had turned up no sign of Dixie anywhere in Hazzard. Cooter and BL decided to...........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesse knew that Cooter and BL had been to the jail to talk to Luke. He had given them no infrmation at all. Jesse figured he may just go talk to Luke himself. Maybe at least he'd get something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo was still sulking, while Luke knew there was no guarantees, his spirit was lifted just a bit with the possible hope of not going to prison.

Jesse saw the change in both boys as he stepped over to the cells.

Luke said, "Uncle Jesse I just got what I think is good news."

Jesse was still on his own mission at this point, "Would it have anything to do with Dixie's where abouts?"

Luke sighed, "No, Sir, but I did get a massage earlier from Peggy. She told her to tell me she was safe and had made it to where she was going. She wouldn't tell Peggy where she was."

Jesse looked at Luke, "Do you have any idea where she is?"

For a long minute Luke looked at Jesse. He wouldn't tell where she was but he wouldn't lie to Jesse either. "Yes, Sir I have a few ideas. But, you do know he whipped her again after you left?"

Jesse didn't question how Luke knew that, but nodded, 'yes', "Cooter and BL told me."

"Jesse I can't protect her in here. You can't protect her at home. Trust me when I tell you she is safe now that she got where she was going." Luke nearly begged.

Jesse figured Luke knew exactly where Dixie was, but he'd leave it alone for now. "So what is the news you feel is good and has Bo, there, looking like he lost his best friend?"

Before Luke could answer. Bo jumped in, "That's because I AM loosing my BEST FRIEND, maybe for FOREVER!"

Luke closed his eyes not wanting to see Bo huring the way he was and sighed deeply.

Jesse asked gently, "Luke? Is he right? And you still think it's good news?"

Luke looked at Jesse and replied, "Yes, Sir he is right. And, Yes I still think it's good news."

Jesse looked at Bo, then at Luke. "Bo set down and let Luke talk. Then, I'll hear you out."

Bo did as asked.

Luke began, "Uncle Jesse, Judge Hardcastle found a law or something that gives him the best I can understand an option in sentencing me. If I am willing to join the military and they are willing to accept me, I could be sentenced to serve a kitch in the military as opposed to going to prison for a lot longer."

Jesse.........

Meanwhile Cooter, BL and the Dukes search had turned up no sign of Dixie anywhere in Hazzard. Cooter and BL decided to go tell Luther that Dixie had disappeared and noone knew where. First they went by the farm and saw the wrecker was gone, that meant he was either on a call or at the garage but hadn't known Dixie was gone. He probably thought she was in her room sulking. They pulled upto the garage and got out of the car walking inside, Luther was under the hood of a car.

"Uh...Dad..we uh got somethin' to tell ya" Cooter cleared his throat before continuing he wasn't looking forward to this.

Luther raised up from under the car's hood and said "What is it son?"

"Dixie's runaway." Cooter finished taking an involuntary step back when Luther faced them.

"Runaway? that's ridiculous I know she's upset with me but she wouldn't run away her door was closed she's probably sulking in her room."

B.L shook her head at Luther's words and said "No Uncle Luther she's gone so's 'Dixie Delight'."

Luther's face turned purple and he said "I bet Luke Duke knows where she is!"

"No he doesn't know Uncle Luther, I don'e rattled his 'cage' about it. We been out looking most of the night the Duke's has been helping us. We done turned this county upside down." B.L answered noone eve paying attention to her play on words, worrying about Dixie.

Luther............

Jesse listened to Luke and being a veteran himself he was proud to think that one of his boys joining the military. It was even better that it would keep Luke out of prison.

Turning to look at Bo he said "Bo I support Luke in this if he wants to join the military. I am a verteran and so are many others in hazzard.

Bo scowled but didn't say more he knew that Jesse wouldn't change his mind about being on Luke's side no matter what he said. Jesse talked to Luke a few more minutes about his decision making sure it was what he really wanted to do before leaving to go tell the others.

Jesse knew Bo wasn't at all happy, but he figured that Bo would get over it. He asked Luke, "Have you thought this out? Things aren't looking good there's a chance you'll have to go overseas."

Luke replied, "Uncle Jesse I know the risks of both prison and the military. I can't help but think I'll be much better off in the military. At least if the worse happens it will be serving my country and protecting my family."

Jesse talked to Luke for awhile longer. He hated to think of any of his 'kids' in a war but it sure set better with him than to think of Luke in prison.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luther Davenport couldn't help but to think that Luke Duke knew where his daughter was. He was off tot he jail to find out where she was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie and her Mother were heading for North Carolia. With any luck she'd be registered in school before anyone figured out that she had went to her mother's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hardcastle had called several of his many friends and would have some one in Hazzard to talk to Luke tomorrow morning. With luck he'd be signed up by noon the next day. He had explained that if Luke were accepted and willing to join that he needed him to leave for the next class as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luther............

Luther stormed into the courthouse and down the steps to the cells telling Peggy

"I wanna see Luke!"

Peggy wasn't at all sure she should let Luther inside the gate even though Luke was relatively safe behind the bars of his cell. Not having a real reason not to let Luther in she opened the gate. He barged in past her and came right over to Bo and Luke's cell looking like he might explode.

"WHERE IS MY DAUGHTER?!"

Luke jumped back a foot colliding with Bo, he wasn't usually one to back down but right now Luther had him intimidated, he swallowed hard and said "I don't know where she is. She called Peggy a lil while ago and left a message for me that she was where she'd been going and ok that's all I know I swear!"

Luther didn't believe it for a second. He looked at Luke menacingly and said "You know, I know you do so why don't you save yourself alot of trouble and just tell me?!"

"Well, I told you all I'm telling you. Want to have me arrested again?" Luke was feeling froggy there wasn't nothing else Luther could do to him that could be worse than what he'd already done.

Luther knew Luke wasn't going to say anymore so he turned on his heels and stormed back up the steps to..........

Luther knew Luke wasn't going to say anymore so he turned on his heels and stormed back up the steps to find out just when Cooter and BL knew Dixie was gone. Maybe if he could figure out how long she had been gone maybe he could figure out where she was.

Cooter saw Luther heading their way. He looked at BL and said, "I think we should have been somewhere else about now."

BL nodded watching Luther get closer and closer "Ya think we got time to make a run for it before he gets here?"

Cooter replied, "Not a chance. He's way to close!"

B.L said "I was afraid you'd say that."

Cooter knew the look on his father's face, "The sh-- is about to hit the fan." He said to BL.

BL could almost see Luther's eyes glowing red like a demon as he approached them and said to Cooter's statement "uh huh"

Luther was more ticked off after Luke had pushed his buttons than before he left for the jail. "EXACTLY what time did you know she was gone?"

Cooter replied with a bit of a squeak, "BL woke me about dawn."

Luther glared at BL. "How LONG did YOU know before you woke Cooter?"

"uh...uh" BL stuttered then said "Only a few minutes."

Luther glared back at Cooter, "Son, why didn't you wake me?"

Cooter pushed a lump in his throat down, "Cause I thought I could find her and get her back here before you knew."

Luther flew madder if that was possible "SO YOU JUST WEREN'T GONNA TELL ME YOUR SISTER WAS MISSING AND COULD BE GOD KNOWS WHERE HURT OR GOD FORBID DEAD!!!!"

Cooter was in deep and he knew it, but remembered the whipping Dixie was getting yesterday after she had already had one he-- of one earlier. "I didn't much figure you'd care after trying to beat her to death." Cooter knew Luther had about all he could take and was ready for his next move.

Luther was lighening quick for a man of his age and hard work had made him strong as a mule. He took his fist and swung at Cooter.

Cooter stepped sideways and caught the fist. "That's ENOUGH! YOU CAUSED her to leave! AND, I MAY NOT BE FAR BEHIND HER!" Cooter dropped his father's fist, turned and pushed BL out the garage ahead of him.

Luther hadn't been touched but Cooter's words hit him like being kicked in the stomach by a mule.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Early the next morning a Sgt. Powell arrived at the Hazzard County Jail. He felt that the Marines needed good men and couldn't help but wonder why he was ordered to check out someone in jail and if he signed to make arrangements to get him in the class at Camp Le Jeune in three days. THREE Days. The 'old man' (his Commanding Officer) didn't want much short of miracles here he throught as he went down to the jail. He looked at the jailor and said, "I'm Sgt. Powell. I'm looking for a Lucas Duke."

Peggy let the man inside the gate and said to one of the two men in the cell, "Luke someone to see you."

Luke hadn't been asleep just deep in thought. He saw the Sgt. with Peggy. He got up stood straight and said, "Sgt."

Sgt. Powell took in the young man's appearance. Even though he had just woken up and was in jail. Luke had his shirt tucked into his jeans, stood up straight, and spoke to him with respect. "Mr. Duke I'm not real sure why my CO sent me here to tlak to you. But, I'm here to give you information on the Marines and answer any of your questions. I understand the chances of you being willing to join are quite high?"

Luke and the Sgt. talked for several hours. Bo joined in the conversation occasionally and tried to talk Luke out of anything. Luke met the qualifications and was willing to join. The Sgt. produced a contract for Luke to sign.

Bo looked at Luke and nearly begged, "Luke. Please don't."

Luke shook his head and sighed, "Bo this is something I need to do. For myself and our country."

The Sgt. had explained that once the contract was signed he would be picked up and put on a bus two days from now to be in NC by 6am the third day. he gave Luke a list of items he'd need and told him he'd be there to pick day after tomorrow. Luke shook his hand.

As the Sgt. topped the step, Bo.............

As the Sgt. topped the step, Bo turned to Luke with a hurt look not saying a word, he couldn't believe Luke would be gone in two days. Luke sighed it seemed he just couldn't win.

Cooter and B.L had talked about what to do about Dixie's disappearance and the places she might have gone. Cooter thought their best bet was his Mom's so he was calling her while B.L stood nearby listening.

Cooter's mother answered the phone on the second ring "Hello"

"Mom is Dixie there?" Cooter asked sounding worried........

Cooter's Mother replied honestly, "No she's not here. She is alright though."

His Mother added quite pleased with herself, "It looks as if she's finally came to her senses. She decided to let me get her into a 'GOOD' school."

Cooter said, "So she has been with you?"

"Yes, dear. Just long enough to make the arrangements at her school." Cooter's Mother replied.

Cooter was smiling a bit as he asked, "Ok so where did she go?"

Cooter Mother was beyond pleased to tell her son the rest, "That, my dear, was one of her conditions when she agreed to go to school. She didn't want ANYONE from Hazzard to know where she was at."

Cooter's face now dropped, "You mean even ME? Can I have number for her?"

Cooter's Mother replied, "Yes, Dear even you. As for a number, she also told me that she did not want it given out. Do tell your father that one of out children has found her scenses. He may have won you over but Dixie came back to me."

Cooter sighed and said, "Yeah, I'll tell him." Cooter turned to BL, "Dixie went to Mom's. Let her put her in school somewhere AND she doesn't want anyone here to know where."

BL looked at Cooter, then towards the jail and asked, "No one?"

Cooter replied, "That's what my Mother said and she asked that I tell Dad."

BL ..............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesse, Daisy and Jeb spent the next day gathering thing Luke would need for Basic Training. Daisy and Jeb we worried about Luke having to go to war, but were a bit more up beat than Bo. Luke was not going to prison. He would have to go to court the day that he was to leave for Basic to be 'Officially sentenced'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke wished that he could get word to Dixie that he was not going to prison but he didn't have her Mother's address or phone number. He was sure that none of the Davenports would want her to know anything about him. Jesse had told the others to keep quiet about the sentencing option until it was official so that it wouldn't be opposed.

BL asked, "You going to tell him?"

Cooter nodded, "Yeah, I guess I am." Cooter said as he started toward the truck to go to the garage to tell Luther where Dixie was. Well, had been.

BL said, "I go with you as long as I don't have to get too close to him."

Cooter waited until she was in the truck. At the garage they both got out and walked inside the garage. Actually BL stopped in the doorway. Cooter said gently, "I know where Dixie went."

Luther looked up at his son, but didn't say anything as he didn't trust his own voice right now.

Cooter said, "Mom said she changed her mind about going to one of those boarding schools that Mom wanted her to go to when she begged YOU to let her come here and go to a regular High School. You know because she HATED the idea of going to a boarding school. I'm also to tell you that and I quote Mom, 'One of our children has come to their scenses'."

Luther sighed and found his voice, "Where is she I'll go get her."

Cooter said, "If I knew I'd already been gone. Mom said that was one of the conditions Dixie set when she agreed to go away to school that NO ONE here be told where she was or given her number."

Luther said, "She'll call or show back up."

Cooter shook his head, "No, I don't think she will."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day of Luke's sentencing arrived. The judge had seen Bo on the charges where he'd hit Ernie Ledbetter first. Bo had plead guilty. He was sentenced to seven days in jail and given credit for the time he had already served with Luke while awaiting his sentencing. Bo had then been releases. All the Dukes were there, their feelings ran deep but were bitter sweet as they knew what was going to happen.

Luther, Cooter, and BL were there. Luther still wanted the 'book' thrown at Luke. none of the Davenports were aware of the Judge's talk with Luke.

Judge Hardcastle took the bench. The court was called to order. Judge Hardcastle began, "First of all I want both of these families to know just how hard this case has been for me. I must see that justice is done. But, in this case the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I feel that Mr. Davenport's main objective here is to see that Mr. Duke here is not around his daughter. As I am sure you all know this great nation of ours is gearing up for a war. They may call it something else but for those young men who will fight it, it will be nothing short or war. I have done a lot of research these past few days and I found a statute in the state code that will give me some sentencing options in this case. First off, Lucas Duke you have plead guilty to the charges that you were charged with. Is this correct?"

Luke replied, "Yes, Sir."

Hardcastle continued, "Now, that is important, because had I FOUND you guilty you would not have been eligible for the sentencing option. Now, the law says that I must sentence you to twenty years in prison. I have seen this young man and a few of his cousins and friend in this court before. It has always been for racing, fighting because they were called a cheat or a liar or to PROTECT someone else. Usually someone's HONOR. This young man's cousin picked a fight to get arrested just to show his LOYALTY to his cousin and spend what time he with his cousin before he went to prison. Mr. Duke here plead guilty to these charges again to PROTECT the young lady in this case. He felt a RESPONSIBLE for the situation and felt a DUTY to PROTECT Ms. Davenport's HONOR. You know those words just keep popping up when I think of this case: PROTECT, HONOR, LOYALTY, DUTY. These qualities sure seem the qualities that our armed forces are looking for. So I did some research. I found that I can seal Mr. Duke's guilty plea and this case and put it in a 'frozen state' shoud Mr. Duke be willing to join the military. Well, after talking to him at lenght I was able to contact someone to talk to Mr. Duke and I believe Mr. Duke has entered into a contract with the United States Marine Corps. Is that correct Mr. Duke?"

Luke said, "Yes, Sir. I have a copy of the contract in case you needed it."

Judge Hardcastle smiled.

Luther Davenport was not liking the way this was going at all!

Judge Hardcastle looked at the signed contract which had a date for Luke to leave later that same day. He saw the dirty looks Luther Davenport was giving Luke Duke as well as himself. He continued, "As long as Mr. Duke Honorable fulfills this contract his case will be sealed and no record of this case will show up anywhere in his background. Due to the high tempers involved in this case as well as the short time to Mr. Duke's departure, I would like to hold you in 'protective custody' until you are picked up for the bus."

Luke was a bit disappointed at hearing this. He had hoped to return to the farm until that evening. He saw the look Jesse gave him and knew how big a break he was getting. He sighed and replied, "That will be fine Your Honor and thank you for this chance."

Hardcastle nodded, "Mr. Duke I want to wish you well and hope for a speedy return for you to your home and family. May God be with you in these troubled times. Please, come see me upon your return. Court dismissed."

Hardcastle had left word for the Dukes to be able to visit until Luke was picked up for his bus. Everything he needed for Basic Training was brought to the jail by Jesse for him. Luke tried and tried to assure Bo that he would be fine and it would be months IF he even went overseas. He told Bo that he would start Basic now at the end of April and not even be done with it until the end of July. Bo still wasn't happy.

Sgt. Powell arrived in plenty of time to get Luke to the bus. The Dukes accpmpanied them to the bus stop and Luke remembered something Dixie had said, "Hey Bo. Will you do something for me?"

Bo replied, "I guess so."

Luke pulled out a ten dollar bill and told Bo, "Run over to the garage and pay this on my account."

Bo now remembered what Dixie had said and smiled widely with mischief. "Alright!" He walked over to the garage adn told Luther, "I want to pay ten dollars on Luke's account."

Luther was steaming but would take the money. He reached for the index cards that held the only records of over half the county who owed the garage money. He looked through the cards three times as Bo stood smuggly trying to look innocent. Luther finally said, "I can't find his card. I know he has a tab, but I can't find the card right now."

Bo said, "Well, I'm sure it will turn up. Tell ya what, put it on my account then."

Luther repeated the process again coming up empty handed. "That's funny. I can't find yours either."

"Humm..." Bo said as he walked off, "Well when you find them, let me know huh?"

Luther was scrating his head.

Bo returned holding the ten dollars. "He couldn't find you ticket OR mine!"

Bo and Luke had one final good laught together before the bus pulled in. Luke bid his family good bye and headed off to Camp LeJeune, NC.

NARRATOR: Unknown to Luke or Dixie they were not just in the same state but closer to each other than either was to their own families! Luther learned to control his temper but he NEVER did find those DANGED account cards!

THE END!!

Note:Not quite the end just yet

Konrad had returned to Hazzard after he'd felt it safe to do so since he'd been living at the Davenport farm before his hurried departure. He had seen Sgt Powell when he'd come to see Luke and had signed up to join the marines too. He had told B.L that he needed to return to Atlanta to see his Aunt about something and came screeching around the corner just as the bus arrived to pick up Luke. He cursed himself for not leaving Atlanta earlier now he'd have to hurriedly tell B.L what he'd done and hope she didn't take the news too badly. B.L saw Konrad pull up from the garage and ran over. He came up to them with his own bag, B.L's eyes looked puzzled he hadn't taken a bag with him. He pulled her aside and sat the bag down saying

"B.L ya know that quick trip to Atlanta I just made?"

B.L nodded 'yes' and Konrad continued "it was to tell my aunt that I was leaving for the marines today too."

B.L bit her lip silent tears trickling down her face Konrad pulled her to him hugging her tightly whispering "B please don't cry, I'll be back I promise."

B.L clung to him tightly sobbing the bus driver getting impatient to be on his way honked the horn and that was Konrad and Luke's cue to get on and they did. Both watching out the window of the bus as it left Hazzard.

Luke and Konrad sat down in a seat together and Luke asked

"Where you going?"

"I joined the Marines too saw that Sgt that came to talk to you and signed up." Konrad answered.

Luke nodded then Konrad told him he was sorry he hadn't made it to the trial and asked how that had gone. Luke then told him that was why he was on his way to Camp LeJeune was Judge Hardcastle had found a loop hole that would let him join the military since he pled guilty instead of going to prison. They talked for a long while on the several hour bus trip to NC leaving their loved ones back in GA to continue on without them until their stint with the marines was up.

The End again!