Dixie's 16th Birthday Surprise alternate ending

B.L. Davenport

If you managed to read to page 11 of 12 of Dixie's 16th Birthday Surprise and wasn't satisfied with that ending or just want a different look, I am posting this alternate ending. The story had been outline a couple different ways but ended far too soon for me. So if you want to see what happens to Luke and Dixie after they are caught together in the back seat of the General Lee here's a different look. If you are just checking this story out and want more background information, check out Dixie's 16th Birthday Surprise. If you are reading, drop me a PM, I love the view counter, but just because you clicked on doesn't mean you read it. So let me know how you'd like to see this end. Thanks. Dixie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Easter school break. Everyone had a touch of Spring fever. They all headed out to the lake for a bit of racing. No one paid much attention to Luke giving Dixie a ride out as they now had Luther's permission to somewhat date. Now with two convictions of racing and several points on his license Luke decided to let Bo race the General tonight. He gave the General Lee a once over. As before, Dixie and Luke watched several races. Dixie had planned to stay with Daisy tonight unknown to Jesse. She now, virtually, didn't have a time to be in. Her Dad knew she was staying with Daisy. By Jesse not knowing she planned to stay, he'd not pay any attention if Daisy beat her home.

The night progressed without any law showing up. Though Bo had raced the General Lee several times it was Luke's turn to drive him home. Most everyone was heading off on their own to take the long way home tonight. Luke would be taking Dixie home. "I'm going to just make sure this fire is out." Luke called.

Dixie said a bit nervous, "That was slick." As everyone else pulled out on there way home.

Luke just smiled. He did make sure the fire was out then suggested riding down to the lake. He pulled the General Lee down into an open meadow that was just off the dirt road where they had raced. Luke asked, "Are you in any hurry to get home?"

Dixie replied, "No, not at all."

Luke said, "Good." He went to the trunk of the car and took out a a partial Mason jar of moonshine that he had been sipping on all evening. Luke placed the car keys on the dash, fixed him a glass of shine which Dixie was also sipping on. Luke was figuring on staying out until almost dawn then drifting the General Lee into the drive. He and Dixie would sneak in before Jesse got up. He and Dixie talked about all sorts of things for quiet some time. Luke poured the last of the shine into their glass and tossed the Mason jar to the bushes.

As he turned around Dixie had move into the back seat of the General Lee, she said innocently, "There's more room back here."

Luke cleared his throat before saying, "Well, yes there is. Are you sure?"

Dixie smiled, "I am very certain, ..., there is more room back here." she said slowly.

Luke didn't need a second invitation to join her in the back seat...

While Dixie and Luke was in the backseat of the General Lee steaming up the windows B.L and Konrad was doing a little window steaming of their own in the backseat of his car at Hazzard Pond. They however weren’t interrupted by ‘eager beavers’.

Konrad kissed down B.L’s neck and murmured against her warm skin “ I think I’m in loveâ€.

B.L had her head tilted back while Konrad was kissing her neck and said breathily“me tooâ€

LATER,

Trooper Mitchell was riding with his young partner down on lake road where they had caught some 'kids' racing several months ago. The new State Trooper was very eager to make a name for himself. His lights hit a car parked in a meadow. He indicated this to his Senior partner, "What do you make of that?" Trooper Mitchell knew the car and was pretty sure what was going on but the young Trooper insisted on checking into it.

The Senior partner replied, "You've probably got a couple kids making out. Lets go to the barn."

The young trooper said, "Let's at least check it out." He was far to eager for Trooper Mitchell but was far enough in his training that Trooper Mitchell was giving him the lead in a lot of stops. As they turned, both Troopers recognized the General Lee with the windows (What little windows there were) fogged up.

As Luke was kissing Dixie passionately he opened his eyes to the bright light of a flash light. "Sh--!" Luke sighed.

Once she realized they had company Dixie gasped.

The voice behind the flash light said, "State Police. Get out of the car."

Now Luke was really cursing! He said, "Give us a second OK?"

"Where are the car keys?" Another voice asked. He was afraid Luke was going to try to pull out. It was the voice of the younger Trooper who had been looking to get a 'feather in his cap' by arresting Luke the time before.

Luke replied as he handed Dixie her clothing. "On the dash, I'll hand them to you." He was trying to buy some time. He reached for the keys and handed them to the Trooper that had the light. Luke covered Dixie the best he could while she got dressed, then he put on his jeans, took his shirt and boots with him as he got out of the car. He turned to help Dixie out of the car. Both of their appearances were a bit unorganized. After stepping into his boots Luke plopped on the hood of the General Lee as he buttoned his shirt and motioned for Dixie to take the seat beside him on the hood. She did and he wrapped his arm around her to comfort her. He whispered in her ear, "I told you there would be nights like this!" Luke had finished the last of the shine and had opened a beer prior to the Troopers arrival which he had in his hand and now took a drink.

The new Trooper asked, "Have you been drinking?"

Luke knew that they had him already for at least indecent exposure, but he just hoped he could talk Dixie out of trouble. So he decided to be honest with them. "Yes, I have been drinking but I didn’t intend to go anywhere until morning."

The young Trooper, taking the lead, said, "You are trespassing on private property. I need to see your license."

Luke was more than peeved, as he handed him his driver's license.

"I want to check the registration too." said the young Trooper.

Luke replied, "Mr. Peabody has never complained about us being out here. It's over the driver's visor. I can save you the time." he said looking at Trooper Mitchell. "My license is valid with six points for racing. The registration will come back to myself and Bo Duke and expires April next year."

Trooper Mitchell waved his hand. "Let him run it. It will give him something to do. He--, I'd never have stopped!"

The younger Trooper returned. "Ok, your license checks out like you said it would. Can the young lady drive this home or do I need to call for a wrecker?"

Luke didn't want a wrecker called. Knowing all He-- would break loose when Luther Davenport had to come and pick up Dixie from the Sheriffs office without finding her out here with him. He also knew that Cooter's Dad had the wrecker after midnight. Dixie had been drinking too. He figured to play it down, hoping they would just take her home so he lied. "Well, she can't drive a standard."

The younger Trooper said to Dixie, "Well, just for the sake of knowing who's who here let me see your license."

Dixie looked at Luke. She was shaking like a leaf. Luke replied with a sigh. This was becoming a very long night, "Go ahead give him your license." He took another drink of beer.

The young Trooper asked, "Have you been drinking?"

Luke answered for Dixie. "She's had a little to drink."

Dixie handed her license to the young Trooper who wasted no time in going to run it.

Luke asked Trooper Mitchell while the other Trooper was running Dixie's license. "I figure he's already stacking charges against me. Starting with Trespassing and Indecent Exposure which is fine. But, can we keep her out of this? Maybe just take her home or call her Dad and tell him I was racing again or something?"

Dixie looked at him in utter disbelief. It had never crossed her mind that Luke would be charged for 'nothing'.

He said only loud enough for her to hear, "I'm likely not going home tonight. ... I know that, ..., and it's OK. I'm just trying to get you home without charges."

The older Trooper smiled for a brief second. "I'll do what I can to tame the 'eager beaver'."

"I'd sure appreciate it." said Luke. He again sipped the beer.

The young Trooper came back to the General Lee like the forest was on fire, with his hand on the but of his gun, saying, "Duke, ..., get, ... on, ..., the hood, ..., NOW!"

Luke looked confused at the Senior Trooper. Luke was getting a bit disgusted at this point. "What is his problem?" he said getting on the hood of the General Lee still holding the beer. He was making all this fuss over a couple of misdemeanors?

"Hoooawh! Calm down! What?" Trooper Mitchell said, “This is not really necessary.†He motioned to Luke to relax.

The younger Trooper showed Trooper Mitchell the licenses he had in his hands indicating the information in question.

Trooper Mitchell said showing his annoyance with the 'eager beaver', "I'll handle this! Luke is all your information correct here?"

Luke sighed as he looked at his driver's license he'd seen and shown to every law enforcement person in the Tri-Counties. "Yeah, it's right. Why?"

Trooper Mitchell just waved him off. "Miss Davenport is all your information correct?"

Dixie checked her license. It took a minute to find her voice when she said, "Yes, Sir, it is. What's wrong?"

Again, the Senior Trooper waved off her question. He handed Luke both driver's licenses, "Tell me the names and date of births on these.

Luke read his license, "Lucas K. Duke, Jan. 10, 19?6."

Trooper Mitchell said, "And the other one?"

Luke read, "Dixie Lee Davenport, April 8, 19?0. So?"

The Trooper saw Luke's confusion. "How old are you?"

Luke replied a bit annoyed, "Twenty."

"How old is Miss Davenport?" he asked.

Luke replied very annoyed and very sure of himself, "Eighteen."

Dixie shot Luke a confused look.

Trooper Mitchell said, "Look again. Do the Math. How old are you two?"

Luke replied, "Jan. 10, 19?6, twenty. April 8, 19?0, eight ..." There was a long silence as Luke looked at Dixie.

Dixie shook her head, 'No.' She was very innocent and confused about what was so important about her age and what difference two years could make.

Luke stared at both the driver's licenses before him for several minutes. He sighed loudly, and said while shaking his head, "I'll be a So-#$--$($& SIXTEEN?" Luke gasped almost unable to breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie was still confused and nodded 'yes'. "Yeah. What's wrong with that?"

At this point Luke almost passed out; he still remembers his knees going so weak he had to set down on the hood of the General to keep from falling. He had been preaching to Bo since before Bo turned 18 to ID any one before he even bought them a drink, to be really careful since the law was trying to bust them they could put someone up to setting them up. He had preached and preached! He had also thought that he had been so careful in this area, since he had been 18. “Sixteen….. Oh, ….. Hell.†Luke looked utterly defeated at this point, but managed to try to explain, "Ever heard the term 'jail bait?'." The wind was definitely out of his sails.

Dixie replied honestly, "No? What are you all talking about?"

Luke whispered, "Sixteen? not eighteen? What was with the Big Birthday?"

Dixie was far to innocent to know what was wrong. She replied, "The eighth was a big Birthday. My sweet sixteen. Luke what is wrong?"

The look that was on Luke's face was like none Dixie had ever seen on his face before. It was of sheer TERROR!

The younger Trooper said, "Miss, you are under eighteen. He's over four years older than you. Which makes what was going on in that back seat when we came up very illegal for Mr. Duke here."

Luke was scaring her and he knew it but it was all he could do right now to breath. His chest was tight. He felt numb all over and he was struggling to breath to keep from passing out. He had been so careful to not let this happen. For the two years he could buy beer he'd ever asked his dates to see their ID before he bought them a beer, now THIS!

The young Trooper said in a voice of authority. "Mr. Duke on the car and spread 'um!"

Before moving, Luke said to Dixie, "This is all my fault. Just remember that. Nothing that happened tonight was your fault. I assumed way too much. I wouldn't have changed a thing except I would have hoped, I'd have waited until you were eighteen if I weren't such a jacka-- and assumed I knew everything." he finished the three quarters of beer in one drink as he slide off the hood.

Trooper Mitchell said to Dixie, "Come on you can ride up front with me as soon as we get a wrecker out here."

Luke now knew he certainly didn't want Mr. Davenport out here to tow the General Lee under these circumstances. He said, "I'll sign a waiver or whatever. Don't call a wrecker. Mr. Peabody and all of Hazzard know this car. It will be Ok here."

The younger Trooper said, "Suit yourself!" As he began to frisk Luke who was spread eagle against the car. At the moment the Trooper placed the first handcuff on Luke, he got a glimpse of Dixie who was crying.

Luke couldn't take the fact she was hurting like this and her crying tore him apart. He pulled away heading towards Dixie. Both Troopers turned their attention on Luke. Being a bit more skilled, Trooper Mitchell downed Luke. He had his left shoulder and arm behind his back and was putting pressure on it. Luke was still fighting. Trooper Mitchell applied more pressure as he said, "Calm down! I can, ..., and will, ..., break it!" he cranked the arm even harder. Finally Luke felt the pain above the adrenaline rush he had gotten when he saw Dixie crying and relaxed, letting the Trooper cuff him. Luke would be sorry of that move tomorrow, when the moonshine wore off and his shoulder began to hurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trooper Mitchell had always been a close friend of the Dukes but had to do his job. Once Trooper Mitchell got him to the car he said, "Luke I'm going to cut you as big a break as I can. Even after THAT stunt. I'm only charging you with Indecent Exposure, Public Intoxication , two counts of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor and now Resisting Arrest instead of the Felony."

Luke looked at him in disbelief.

The Trooper continued. "However, if her Father pushes, I'll have to drop one Contributing and charge you with the Felony charge of Statutory Rape . Understood?"

Luke felt a slight relief but was sure it would be short lived once Mr. Davenport found out.

The younger Trooper said, "What?"

Trooper Mitchell told him, "I'll be writing this report."

The younger Trooper stomped to his side of the car.

(Statutory Rape is defined as a n. ---- Sexual relations with a person who has not reached the statutory age of consent.(even if both parties participating are willingly)

Rosco was at his desk when the Troopers brought Luke in to the jail. Dixie was told to take a seat at Rosco's desk which she did. Rosco had no idea what was going on. He said, "You can just put him up here until we process him." referring to the upstairs cell.

Luke managed to find his voice, "Rosco if it's all the same to you. I'd just as soon go downstairs. It will probably be safer there once Luther is called."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as the State Police reached the jail with Luke and Dixie. Luther was called to pick her up. All he had been told was that he needed to pick up his daughter at the jail and to see Trooper Mitchell. He wondered just what kind of trouble Luke Duke had managed to get Dixie into now. "Cooter I've got to go to the jail to pick up Dixie."

Cooter asked, "Why?"

Luther answered, "That I'm not sure of."

"I'm coming with you!" Cooter replied.

Konrad and B.L was just pulling up into the yard after their rendezvous at Hazzard Pond just in time to see Luther and Cooter coming out the front door. B.L stuck her head out the window and asked “Where ya’ll going this time of night?â€

Luther said “To get Dixie at the jail!â€

B.L said “jail!?†then looked at Konrad with an ‘uhoh’ look. Luther and Cooter didn’t give B.L time to ask what Dixie was in jail before leaving. Well always one to want to be in on the action B.L told Konrad “follow ‘em this should be interesting.â€

Trooper Mitchell was still writing his report when Luther got there. He explained the situation and Luther and Cooter flew mad. B.L groaned hearing Trooper Mitchell’s explanation of the situation and she looked at Dixie who looked about as miserable as a girl could look. She went to the younger girl and hugged her comfortingly. Konrad just stood back watching it all he didn’t really know what to say or do he couldn’t believe Luke had managed to get himself in this mess he felt sorry for Dixie Luther was furious and the poor girl looked a little afraid. They wanted to see Luke! at one point Cooter said, "Just arrest me and put me downstairs WITH LUKE, Rosco!!!"

Luther wanted the book thrown at Luke.

Luke could hear the commotion upstairs. He expected at any minute Luther and or Cooter to storm down the stairs leading to the cells.

What Luke didn't know was that it had taken both Troopers, Rosco, and Dixie's pleading, along with promises from Rosco and the Trooper of their own arrests to convince them both to leave the jail.

When Peggy, the correctional officer, arrive downstairs, Luke was setting on the bunk Indian style. He had been staring at nothing replaying the nights events.

Cooter and Luther were to mad to say anything to Dixie at this point. At the farm Luther pointed to her room and said, "Don't even come out until you are called for."

To Dixie that wasn't so bad an idea as she was not at all looking to dealing with her father. Or should she say being dealt with BY her father.

Cooter and Luther were far too mad to get any sleep that night.

Dixie didn't sleep either. She was worried about what was going to happen to Luke. She felt really bad for him being in this situation because of her. HOW had Luke thought she was 18 instead of 16? She truly didn't know that there was over fours years difference in their age, but had she known she also wouldn't have known that it made a difference.

B.L followed Dixie to her room and stayed up with her all night talking. At one point Dixie asked “B what’s the big deal with me being 16 and Luke 20?â€

B.L sighed and answered “Luke is technically an adult and you are still a child so in the eyes of the law he’s took ‘advantage’ of you no matter how willing you were. Over four years age difference is illegal.â€

Konrad had decided it was best for him not to be seen nor heard in that house considering his name was Duke. He went back to the Duke farm but didn’t want to wake anybody up although he truly doubted they were asleep but he went to the barn anyway and slept in the loft.

At the jail Peggy as she asked Luke, "Do you want to make a call now?"

"What time is it?" asked Luke.

Peggy looked at her watch, "Three thirty."

Luke shook his head, "Not now, there's nothing Jesse can do until morning anyway. Unless Luther wakes him now, it will be better to call about five thirty, if that's Ok?"

Peggy gave him a slight smile. "It will be fine. I'll let get the phone for you then."

Luke knew no news was good news but had to ask, "I heard," he nodded towards the steps. "Did Trooper Mitchell change the charges yet?" he asked glumly.

"He told Mr. Davenport what he charged you with. He also told him what you could be charged with, then he said he'd give him until tomorrow to think about it. For now they stand the same as he told you." Peggy explained.

Peggy looked at the clock it was 5:30am. She got the phone hooked up where the cord would reach to the cell.

Sleep had alluded Luke, though he was laying on the hard bunk starring at the ceiling. Peggy's movement had gotten his attention. As Luke sat up he saw Peggy coming his way with the phone and a large cup of coffee. She handed the coffee to Luke and sat the phone down on a shelf on the wall near the side of the cell.

Taking a drink of the coffee Luke looked at the phone and sighed. "You know all my life I have been able to tell Uncle Jesse anything, but I don't think I can tell him this." He had decided hours ago to prepare Jesse the worst then hope for the best. He heard how upset Luther and Cooter had been. He doubted that even Uncle Jesse could calm them down enough to keep him from being charged with the felony. He sighed again.

For Peggy she didn't know what to say to make this any better for Luke. She had been party to the events upstairs last night as she had came in, in the middle of it.

Luke asked, "What time is it?"

"5:40 am" was all Peggy said.

Luke knew he had to call now before Jesse discovered him not home. Reaching through the bars Luke picked up the phone. "Maybelle get me the Duke farm please."

Jesse had just poured his first cup of coffee when the phone rang. Looking at the clock. Jesse knew no one called here that early unless something was wrong. "Jesse Duke." he answered.

Luke bit his lip hard at the sound of Jesse's voice. He knew what he was going to say would hurt Jesse more than it did him IF that was possible. "Uncle Jesse ..."

"Luke? Where are you?" Jesse asked not sure he wanted to know.

There was a long silence before Luke answered, "In jail."

"What in tar nation did you do now? Let me guess been in another fight with just anyone who wanted to fight? OR maybe the last time wasn't long enough, so you went out racing again, you're sure to get your license revoked if you keep of this foolishness!" Jesse wasn't happy.

Jesse was answered with total silence.

"Luke. Tell me what they charged you with." replied Jesse sternly.

Luke stood rock solidly still, yet he felt him shaking uncontrollably on the inside as he said, "St, ... Stat, ..., Statu, ... tory, ... Rape." Luke's voice had cracked up badly and the last word was almost unheard, but Jesse heard him LOUD AND CLEAR.

Jesse almost dropped his coffee cup, "What? Who? Did they manage to set you up?"

"Jesse, I only wished it were one of their set ups." Luke said as he turned his back to Peggy. His eyes had, against his will, filled with tears. "Just listen a minute. That's not the formal charge yet. Though I'd bet my life it will be after seeing the Judge.

Jesse replied, "Peggy's there? Ask her when is the earliest I can come talk to you about this and see what we can figure out.

Luke did and replied, "8:30 am."

Jesse said, "Luke I'll be setting there at 8:30am. Who's is the girl?"

Luke would rather tell him that in person but figured he'd better prepare him in case he ran into the Davenports, "Thanks, Uncle Jesse." Luke paused, his voice barely heard by Jesse. He cleared his throat, "Dixie Dav, ... en, ... port."

Confused Jesse said, "What? Didn't you all just tell me she had her 18th birthday party?" Jesse voice was a bit loud for the hour of the morning.

Luke sighed, "It's a long story. I've got to go. It makes me feel better knowing at least you think like I did."

Jesse looked at the phone confused now more than ever, "Luke, I love you."

"I love you too." Luke handed the phone to Peggy. He laid on the bunk and faced the wall.

The next morning, Dixie wasn't asleep. She hadn't slept all night. She either cried or thought about Luke all night. Last night was supposed to be special and unforgettable. It had been special right up until the flashlights came on. As for unforgettable Dixie was sure that neither her, Luke and half the County would ever forget it, either.

Cooter said, "You got to deal with her sometime."

Luther replied, "I know. I'm just trying to calm down a bit first. It just don't seem to be workin'."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesse pulled up in front of the Courthouse and jail just before 8:30am. He had to know what went on with Luke, but in order to try to help him. He hoped there would be SOMETHING he could do.

Jesse took a seat outside Luke cell. "Ok, Luke what happened?"

Luke sighed, "You remember Dixie's big birthday party, we all went all out for. Well, it turns out it was her 16th birthday NOT 18th!..."

Jesse interrupted, "Did she tell you she was 18?"

Luke gave Jesse a brief sad smile, "No." he sighed, "I figured that out ALL on my own. I know, ... I assumed myself into a God awful lot of trouble."

Jesse asked, "So what did they charge you with?"

"Trooper Mitchell said he'd give me as big a break as he could and ONLY charge me with Indecent Exposure, Public Intoxication, two counts of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, and Resisting Arrest. Luther can insist on him charging me with the felony, which, ... after what I heard going on upstairs I figure he will." replied Luke.

Jesse gave Luke a look of reassurance, "I'll go talk to Luther." he said simply.

"I appreciate it, but Jesse, ... I'm not so sure that will help. Just make sure Dixie is Ok. She had no idea what was wrong last night and as mad as Luther was I'm sure she has lived hard." said Luke with concern. "Jesse, I had a lot of time to think last night about a whole lot. Other than the age thing, I'm not a bit sorry for what happened. I do love Dixie."

Jesse looked surprised.

Luke continued after seeing the look, "Yeah, I said that. ... I just thought I loved Robin. Then I ran around trying to prove something." he shook his head, "I guess I proved what a jerk I can be... He--, ... as far as I know, ... I was Da-- lucky that none of them showed up pregnant. And then there was Lori, who DID end up pregnant and I didn't even know til it was too late. I tried to get her to get over me and I tried to get over her but we just kept coming back to each other. I loved her, part of me still does, but we've proved it will never work." he paused. Jesse just let him talk, "I love Dixie. I am not saying what I'm about to say to try to get me out of anything. I want to marry her and I intend to tell the Judge that this morning. When you talk to Luther, if you think it will help you can tell him that for me."

Jesse looked at his nephew. It seemed he had watched him grow up right before his eyes in the last five minutes. Luke looked much older than his twenty years. "Your sure about that?"

"As sure as I've been about anything for quiet sometime, now. No matter what happens. I love her. She will have to live with what we did last night. It might be easier for her, at least if she has my name. I don't want anyone to think that she was just the last in a long line of conquests." said Luke with seriousness.

Jesse asked, "Luke is there any doubt about WHAT was going on last night?" Jesse continued a bit embarrassed, "I mean, ..."

Luke stopped him, shook his head 'no', looking into his Uncle's eyes. "No, what they said they saw was EXACTLY what they saw." he sighed. Luke felt himself shake inside as he stood up straight to tell Jesse the rest of his decisions, "I know in order to prove it though they will want 'tests' ran on Dixie. I won't let that happen. I'll not let her go though that."

"Luke, ..." Jesse was interrupted.

Looking Jesse in the eyes, "I'll plead guilty and hope for the best if it comes to that. IF they run the tests it will only confirm what did happen and put her through He--. Her having to live with my assumption is bad enough."

"Luke you could talk yourself right into prison." informed Jesse.

"I know that." he sighed.

"Isn't there any doubt? Those tests could come out shedding some doubt." said Jesse.

Luke shook his head no. "The evidence would be there."

Jesse looked him in the eye, "Could she be pregnant?"

Luke got a kind of far off look and smiled just a bit before answering, "That would be the only good thing to come out of this. Yeah, she could be." He seemed a bit satisfied at that thought.

Jesse stood up looking Luke face to face, saying a bit loud, "Luke have you lost all your senses? How long have you two been SEEING each other?" Jesse asked worriedly.

Luke knew what he meant since he had been given permission from her father to take her some places, "Last night was the only time."

Jesse asked, "You swear?"

Luke nodded yes, "Yes." he continued, "Can I ask you to do something for me that I might not get to do myself, depending on what goes on upstairs?"

Jesse realized so far Luke had not asked him to do anything for him. He had not asked him to talk to the Judge. He hadn't asked him to talk to Luther, Jesse had offered. He hadn't even asked Jesse to get him out of jail. "What is it, Luke?"

Luke looked very serious. "On my dresser is a small white box. It has been there since I dated Robin. I just recently figured out Dixie's size and had it sized and cleaned. I had plans to give it to her myself but never found the right moment. Will you see she gets it. NO matter what happens I want her to have it."

Jesse knew the box. "Luke would that be your Mother's engagement ring?"

With tears in his eyes for the first time since Jesse arrived, Luke bit his lip before he answered. He said as his voice cracked just a bit, "Yes, ... it is. If she'll have it after all this, I'd like her to have it, ... and all the promises that goes with it."

"You'll be able to do that yourself." Jesse tried to assure Luke.

Luke shook his head, "I'm not so sure about that."

Jesse left to go check on Dixie and talk to Luther. He noted the garage wasn't open yet so everyone was likely still at the farm.

Luther Davenport wasn't a bit surprised to see the white pickup coming down the driveway.

Dixie heard the familiar pick up coming down the road and quietly made her way onto the porch. B.L followed Dixie onto the porch inching around her and standing in front of Dixie so that she was between her and Luther. As Jesse walked onto the porch he stood a little in front of B.L putting himself between the obviously furious Luther and the two girls. "Luther our families go way back." he began.

Luther nodded but his eyes never left Dixie who was standing just outside the door on the other side of Jesse Duke, and behind B.L "That's true Jesse and I'm just as sorry as you to see it all end this way, but what Luke did to my little girl I won't stand for!"

Jesse calmly said, "I've talked to Luke this morning. He would like to do what he can to fix the situation."

Luther ground his teeth speaking through them clenched he asked, "Can he give back her VIRGINITY?!"

Dixie flinched as if she had been smacked.

Jesse continued calmly, "Luke knows what you and most everyone else is going to think. He told me that Dixie wasn't just another girl. He said he loves her." Jesse sees steam coming out of Luther's ears and his face is turning red. "Hear me out ... He'd like to marry her."

Jesse tried to explain further, "Luke knows that even if you allow her to marry him that you may not change your mind about the charges. He's not saying that to get out of trouble. How happy do you think she'd be knowing you sent him to prison? Luther," Jesse said very gently hoping not to set Luther off, "Luke says she could be with child."

Luther spoke again barely controlling his anger, "It doesn't matter if he marries her or not I WON'T drop the charges!" The last bit about Dixie possibly being with child was more than Luther could take he took a step toward Jesse intending to go THROUGH him and B.L to get to Dixie. Dixie backed farther away from her father.

Jesse said calmly in a commanding voice, "LUTHER DAVENPORT! Touch one hair on that girls head while you are THAT mad and I'll have Rosco lock you up!"

Luther looked at Jesse when he spoke but he was too mad still to think rationally he said "I'm not gonna touch one hair on her head but her a-- is MINE!"

Luther was about 10 shades of purple, and Cooter was obviously hot under the collar too.

Jesse stepped closer said in a voice that even worried Cooter, "Luther DON'T do it. Don't touch her while you are this mad. Whip her if you must but do it when you aren't mad!"

Luther said "Jesse I may NEVER be calm again!"

"Luther YOU or I, NOR them can change what's happened." Jesse said calmly, "But we all need to do what's best for them."

"What's best for HER is a whippin!" Luther fumed.

Dixie finally got a bit brave and spoke up, "I talked LUKE into the backseat! He didn't FORCE me into anything. Uncle Jesse I've loved Luke a LONG TIME!! I didn't know me being 16 was a problem, I swear that! I'd never have put Luke in this situation if I KNEW! Uncle Jesse PLEASE don't LET LUTHER send LUKE to prison." Dixie had spit her father's name out like she had a bad taste in her mouth and was barely able to say the word 'prison'.

Jesse held his arm out as Dixie stepped toward him and buried her face in his overalls. He wrapped his arm protectively around Dixie's shoulders.

Luther was still seething as he glared at Dixie, "YOU talked HIM into WHAT???? MY 16 year old daughter has now got the reputation of a WHORE. HE's done this to one too many girls Jesse. I'm going to see to it that I do everything in my power to have the book thrown at him." Luther's voice was raising.

Dixie held on to Jesse for dear life!

Jesse felt her grip on him tighten, as he said, "Luther Dixie is not the first 16 year old to ever be with a boy."

Luther's eye flew open and he said, "Jesse, Luke ain't NO BOY he's a MAN! He should have known better than to take advantage of a 16 year old child!"

B.L got brave or stupid she’d never really know what possessed her to speak “Uncle Luther REMEMBER when I was 16!†Luther glared at her and said “don’t remind ME!!!

Dixie looked up at her father with tears in her eyes, "I'm NO CHILD and Luke DID know better, but HE unlike this family thought I was 18 not 16! If I'd have known it made a difference I would have told him how old I was and I da-- sure wouldn't have pushed him in that situation!!!!!"

Luther replied, "I've got to go talk to Trooper Mitchell Jesse. I'm not backing down from this."

Jesse humbly asked, "Don't do this to my boy?"

Luther replied coldly, "He did it to himself."

“Luther what’s it gonna solve? What’s done is done it won’t undo it just gonna make things bad between good friends!†B.L added with more fire than Jesse had used in his plea purposely leaving out ‘uncle’ a term of deep respect and love that she had always used without thinking twice about it.

"BL I already told you I'm not backing down from pushing this.â€

“Your just being stubborn and unreasonable!†B.L said with her hands on her hips.

"And as her Father I CAN BE!"

Dixie shook her head and said, "BL he's not going to listen. He's worse than Rosco trying to put the Duke boys away!"

“He’s being an a—hole!†B.L fumed she was madder than he—none of this was fair to Dixie or Luke sure what they’d been caught doing was illegal because of Dixie’s age but she was willing so B.L thought it was all just a waste of time and energy just for the sake of punishing Luke for assuming something instead of asking.

Dixie agreed and started walking off the porch, "Yeah I know!"

Jesse was trying his best to hush the two girls that were only making Luther worse. B.L followed Dixie off the porch and they got in the Judge heading for the jail without a word to Luther about where they were going. Luther and Jesse got in their vehicles and headed to the courthouse too. Jesse went downstairs to see Luke when he arrived looking ten years older he shook his head sadly and said “I tried Luke but he won’t budge.â€

At the Courthouse while Jesse was talking to Luke for a minute. Luther was meetinwith Trooper Mitchell. Bo, Daisy, BL, Dixie, Konrad, Cooter and Jeb were waiting to be let in the Courtroom. Rosco opened the door at the same time Jesse came down the hall. Luther was with Trooper Mitchell behind him. They all entered and took seats in the courtroom wiating for Luke to be brought upstairs.

Meanwhile Judge Hardcastle who been called a bit eccentric and true to all of Hazzard he did things his way in his Courtroom. He had called Peggy and given her instructions to bring LUke to his Chambers instead of immediately to the courtroom.

Peggy went downstairs, locking the gate behind her. She opened a large metal 'gun cabinet' that hadn't housed guns in it for probably the last hundred years and took out a set of hand cuffs and leg irons. She sighed as she went to unlock Luke's cell, she said, "Luke. Time to go."

Seeing the restraints, Luke asked, "You don't need those."

Giving him a weak smile, she said, "I know. Rules." She placed the handcuffs on Luke in the front, then instructed him to turn around so she could place the leg irons on him which he did. Wearing the flip flops that he'd been given in place of his boots made it possible for the leg irons to fit.

Peggy was directed wait outside the door. She did as ordered by the Court. The Judge closed the door behind him as he followed Luke into his private office.

Luke did so though he was more than a bit nervous.

The Judge took a casual position at his desk and opened one the files before him. He looked up to see Luke setting stone still with his cuffed hands in his lap. "Relax, son. This conversation isn't on the record. I want to know more about this case than the 'black and white' of this complaint. I know you have been before me on several occasions. I have also been friends with your Uncle Jesse for many years, though that will not influence me in any way."

The Judge thumbed through the file again. "How old are you?"

Luke replied, "Twenty."

"Were you drinking?" asked the Judge.

"Yes. " said Luke.

"On a scale of 1 to 10 how intoxicated were you if 1 is sober and 10 is the drunkest you've ever been?" questioned Judge Hardcastle.

Luke thought for a minute. He had drank quiet a bit over a long period of time and had also eaten. He answered, "A three. I might have been over the legal limit when they showed up but I could have driven home."

"So it takes something more than a couple drinks to make your thinking unclear?" the Judge asked.

Luke nodded, "Yes."

The Judge now did something very uncharacteristic for a Judge, but it is Hazzard. He reached into his top desk drawer and took something out, then asked, "What were you drinking?"

Luke replied, "When the Troopers showed up, I had a beer."

The Judge opened yet another desk drawer and dug around in it a few minutes before asked Luke, "You wouldn't be opposed to a little Jack Daniels would you?"

Luke Looked a bit surprised as the Judge tossed a handcuff key to him. "I don't suppose we need those bracelets for this conversation. Do we?"

"No, Sir. I'm not going anywhere until this is straightened out." replied Luke who was beginning to calm down just a bit.

"Good. Good. Now, you can take those things off and put them on the table while I pour us a drink. Then, we are going to talk about last night. You will tell me the truth?" He said as he handed Luke a good sized drink.

"I've never lied to you. If I have done something, I'll tell you I did." Luke said looking the older man in the eyes.

"Luke I intend to talk to all the parties involved in this. I understand from the Troopers the charges may change." Judge Hardcastle began as he took a sip of his drink.

Luke had taken his drink and set it on the table. He surely didn't want to seem over eager for it. Luke smiled a sick smile and shook his head, "From what I could hear last night when Luther Davenport came to pick up Dixie, yeah, he wants the book and the bookcase it is on thrown at me!"

"That's my understanding too." The Judge asked, "How long have you known Miss Davenport?"

"Dixie? Since we were small kids. She has lived with her Mother out of here until last summer." replied Luke.

"This isn't a test or anything. Drink up." The Judge motioned to Luke's untouched drink. "Did you know she was younger than you?" the Judge asked.

Luke took a sip of his drink before answering. "Well, everyone knows she is Cooter's 'little sister' but he is older than me. She had been talking about a birthday coming up. Saying things like, 'after this birthday maybe I can make my own decisions about things like staying here.' Now, I know my last big birthday when I could do a lot more things than I had before was my 18th one. With her appearance, actions, and statements I just knew she meant her 18th birthday." Luke gave a weak smile, "Yeah, this time I assumed one He-- of a lot!"

"Yes, I'm afraid you did. You mean to tell me as long as you have known Ms. Davenport you didn't know her age?" asked the Judge.

Luke thought a long moment before answering. He was trying to word his response just right. "You said you have known my Uncle Jesse for years. Do you know how old he is?" Luke watched the puzzled look on the Judge's face. When Luke saw his expression change to where Luke was certain the Judge did not know Jesse's age, he continued, "Ms. Meade has been your secretary for years and years. Is she older or younger than you?"

Luke's point had sunk in. Judge Hardcastle said, "You do realize the three of us went to school together. You have a point. I don't know who's older or how old they are, but ..."

Luke interrupted, "I know that it is not important for you to know. I was just making a point."

Now the Judge got to the meat of the discussion. "Were you both willing?"

Luke said matter of factly, "Yes. Between you and me, she made the first move on me. Everything that happened was my fault. I let it happen. I should have known better. He--, I did know better!"

Luke continued, "I know what her Father wants. I can't change that, any more than I can change what happened last night. I know no matter what happens to me, this is going to be hard for Dixie to live with, the way it's getting blown up like this. Judge Hardcastle I'd like to do my best to make things as easy for her as I can. For one reason or another since she has been here, we have spent a lot of time together. I have known I cared for her for quiet some time now. With her, what happened, wouldn't have happened if I hadn't already decided that I love her." Luke let that register with the Judge before continuing.

Judge Hardcastle looked a bit surprised. He knew Luke's history of running around.

"Yeah, Jesse gave me that same look. It's true. I cared enough about her to wait until she was, I thought, eighteen." Luke explained.

"Did Mr. Davenport know you were seeing her?" asked the Judge.

Luke sighed and began, "Luther had given me permission about seven months ago to take Dixie to the Boar's Nest when he was there and he'd follow us home or I was expected to be just a very few minutes behind him. Then, about a month ago he let her start going ot the different places with me as long as a group would be there. Like last night, only she was staying with Daisy. Uncle Jesse didn't know that. Luther did. She was riding home with me as she had done when she's stayed with Daisy in the past. After everyone left we were alone and knew we didn't have to hurry home. We talked along while and then I turned around and she had gotten in the back seat and invited me back and...." Luke put his hands up defeatidly.

"I see. That explains quiet a bit." Asked Judge Hardcastle.

Judge Hardcastle explained, "When I talk to Mr. Davenport, if he wants the charges changed, I'll have to allow the Troopers to do so. You also need to know that if he does this you and Dixie will have to submit to a number of tests..."

Luke held up his hand. "I won't let her be put through that."

The Judge sighed, "If her Father insists, then, I'll have to order the tests."

Luke looked the Judge in the eye. "At this point we're just talking correct? If I say something now will I be bound to follow it in court?"

Hardcastle's was curious now. "No, you are not under oath. We are just trying to get this worked out."

"Ok, if he insists the charges be changed. I have every intention of pleading guilty to keep Dixie from having to go through with the tests." said Luke.

Hardcastle looked at the young man in front of him. "You do realize that if you plead guilty at that time there would be no backing out. I want you to know that it would very likely mean going to prison."

"I understand that. But, I won't let Dixie be hurt anymore by this than she already is being. He can have me locked up and throw the key away but it won't change what happened. He doesn't realize that by bringing this all out public like this, he is doing her more harm than if he'd just swept it under the rug. Luther could have settled this easier for everyone involved with a good old 'shot gun wedding'. He--, I told Jesse, I'll tell you, and if I could get in the same room with him, I'd tell him, I'd be more than willing to marry Dixie even if he doesn't want to drop the charges just so she could hold her head up in this town."

The Judge was impressed by Luke's willingness to try to made things right for the young lady involved. Most young men in his situation would be more concerned about themselves. Hardcastle said, "I see. Jesse is aware of your decisions?"

Luke said, "Yes."

"Well, I'm going to have him brought in here in a few minutes and make sure. Then, I'm going to do my best to see to it that he explains how the law can work to protect you and frankly I'm going to try to convince him to change your mind." said Hardcastle. "There is no point in throwing your life away because of this and I don't want to be the one who sentences you to prison without every avenue being explored first."

Realization of the Judge's words sank in hard. Luke asked, "Could you arrange something before this is over, if you see it's going badly? ... I'd like to see Dixie two minutes, to apologize."

Judge Hardcastle looked at the young man before him being so unselfish. "I'll do what I can. Now, finish that drink and get that 'jewelry' back on before you ruin my bad imagine."

"I'll do it." The Judge went to the door

Luke finished the drink, replaced the handcuffs and handed the judge back the key. "Judge Hardcastle, I truly would like to marry Dixie. Could you express that to her father for me?"

Judge Hardcastle spoke at lenght to Jesse, Dixie and Luther. This was a bad situation for both families. He truely wished the father would just drop the charges and let them get married if that's what they both wanted and he wanted his daughter's honor in tact.

Hardcastle knew Mr. Davenport wouldn't change his mind and Luke Duke was determined to protect the young lady. They were both being stubborn as mules. He called for Dixie into his Chambers.Dixie walked in.

Judge Hardcastle shook his head no, "I'm sorry. I talked to him until I was blue in the face. He still wants to go through with this. I can't stop him. But this is my Court and there's not any law that I know against letting you a Luke have a little talk before we proceed."

Dixie gave the Judge a greatful look. "Thank you so much for everything!"

Judge Hardcastle looked to the small room where he'd let Luke and Jesse talk things over. He opened the door slightly, "Luke I've heard a lot of good and bad about you today, but I'm a man who makes his own decisions. There's a Correctional Officer outside the other door. Jesse and I'll be in here. I want your word that you'll take this time to say what needs to be said and not do anything stupid."

Luke looked the Judge in the eye and said, "I give you my word as a Duke."

Hardcastle looked at Jesse who nodded 'yes'. "Ok, I'll give you as long as I can." He reached for the handcuffs and removed them, then stepped aside to let Luke enter his chambers.

"Thank you." said Luke as he stepped inside. He heard Hardcastle close the door. Dixie had been setting in a chair as he stepped into the room she met him as he crossed the room to her. He took her in his arms and held her for several long moments. Though he couldn't hear her, Luke knew she was crying as the warm tears soaked into his shirt. He breathed in the scent of her strawberry shampoo mixed with the melon scent of her body spray. Luke knew she needed to cry and be held and he needed to hold her. Finally, Luke knew there were things that needed to be said between the two of them that didn't need an audience. He took Dixie by the shoulders, standing her up and wiping her tears. He cleared the lump in his own throat, and said, "I could have stayed like that all day, but there are things that need to be said here."

Dixie dried her tears and nodded 'yes'.

"I take it that your Dad is still going through with this?" he asked.

Dixie bit her lip as tears welled up in her eyes.

Luke gave her a bit of a smile of reassurance, "I didn't really expect him not to. I want to tell you a couple of things that I would have eventually gotten around to telling you. The only reason I'm saying them now is not to try to get out of anything or just make you feel better, I want to say them to you. I want you to hear them from me. The day you came to the garage all dressed up asking to go out with Tommy?"

She nodded that she remembered.

Luke continued, "You blew my mind. It was like you had grown up over night. You went from being my 'kiddo' to a young lady right then and there in my mind.

Then, there was the dance at the Boar's Nest, it was all I could do that night to keep from kissing you right there in front of your Dad, Cooter, Jesse and everyone else. Then there was all the preparations for your birthday party. Like I said I just took it that it was your eighteenth not sixteenth birthday -- that was my fault. I want you to know I don't regret a thing that happened the other night. No matter what anyone else tells you, you were not just another girl. I respected you enough not to make a move on you until I thought you were 18..."

Dixie interrupted, "And as I recall, it was my idea."

Luke smiled at the memory and looked her in her eyes, "Yes, but it's only because you moved first. My thoughts weren't totally pure when I parked by the lake to begin with. Because our families have been so close, I would not have made any move on you if I hadn't cared about you. ... Dixie, I love you. The other night would not have happened if I hadn't already decided that."

"Luke I have loved you since I was a kid but you are right, things changed between us over night even before my first kiss." she said.

"Your first kiss? That was your first kiss?" Luke said shocked. "Lady, if that was your first kiss, ... wow!"

"Guess I had a good teacher." she said meaning Luke himself.

He smiled at her, and said very seriously, "I also want to ask you something. ... I don't know how any of this is going to turn out. ... I don't know if this will be possible or not but I intend to ask. ... You don't even have to answer, but I want to ask you this here and now." he paused, looked her in the eyes and began, "Dixie Davenport would you honor me by being my wife?..."

His question was interrupted by her answer, "Yes, Luke anytime, ... anywhere."

Now it was time to explain something to her. "Ok, I have intentions of asking the Court if they can to grant this if your Father won't allow it, but I can't promise it can happen. Even if your Father goes through with this, I'd like you to at least have my name, even if we can't be together. That is if you'll have it. I think it could make things easier for you here. At least it should show that I do love you and I wasn't just out to use you and move on."

Dixie smiled a bit for the first time. "Luke I love you. I want to be with you. Yes, I'll marry you anytime, anywhere. If I can't have you, yes, I'll still marry you."

Luke said as he was fighting tears of his own, "Jesse will have something for you that I was waiting for the right time to give you." he paused, "There is something you need to know before we go back in. To prove the charges that your Father is insisting that I be charged with there are tests that would have to been done on you, ... I don't intend to let them be done. I fully intend to plead guilty and take my chances before I'll let you be put through all that."

"Luke I can't let you do that!" she said.

He shook his head and said with determination, "I'm going to. I will not let you suffer anymore for my carelessness. Please give me this. Please let me do what I can, as small as it is to protect you all that I can."

Dixie saw the helplessness on Luke's face. It was not like him. He was always in charge and was doing his best to take charge of what he could in this situation. Dixie realized how important it was for Luke to feel like he had some control in this. She closed hers eyes and and shook her head, 'Ok.'

Luke reached out and took Dixie back into his arms. "Thank you. God, knows it's not much but it's all I can do." He held her for several minutes. Each lost in their own thoughts of each other. Luke petted her hair as he held her thinking of how he could ask something very difficult of her but something her needed her to do for him. "Dixie I need you to do something very difficult but that is very important for me?"

She replied into his strong chest, "Anything."

"Hear me out first." He tilted her face up to him. "When we go back in there, ... I need you to be strong for me. No out bursts. No tears. ... Cry now if you are going to, but not in there?"

Dixie for the first time saw tears in his eyes, yet he refused to cry. She saw him gather control of himself but also saw how important it was to him that she not cry in the Courtroom. "All I can say is I promise to do my best."

Luke squeezed her tightly, "That's all I can ask." Once again Luke held her hoping that she would cry herself out before re-entering the courtroom.

There was a knock from the door Judge Hardcastle had went out. There was a minute before it opened, Judge Hardcastle said from the door. "Two minutes." and shut the door back.

Luke and Dixie looked at each other. He dried her tears, tilted her face toward him and kissed her as passionately as he'd kissed anyone before.

A knock at the door brought the kiss to an end. A minute later the Judge opened the door. "That's about all I can do." he said.

Both Luke and Dixie thanked him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judge Hardcastle instructed Jesse to take Dixie and return to the Courtroom. After they had left he sized up the tension in the room. He poured into Luke's glass from earlier a straight shot of liquor. "Drink up we don't have long."

Luke took the glass. "Thanks for everything you have done for us both. I know you have got to do what you have to do." Luke finished the drink in one drink.

Hardcastle replaced the handcuffs. He opened the door for Luke to enter the Courtroom.

Dixie's first test of what Luke had asked (her not crying) came as soon as Luke walked in the Courtroom when Dixie saw that he was handcuffed and leg ironed. She hadn't noticed the leg irons when they were talking but she knew he hadn't had the handcuffs on. Dixie found herself looking to Jesse for the strength she needed to keep herself from falling apart. She and Jesse had talked before going into the Courtroom. Jesse had explained to her that it would be harder for Luke to be strong for her if she fell apart. Jesse gave her a look of reassurance. Though Jesse was more worried about Daisy and Bo falling apart on him than he was Dixie.

Rosco called the Court to order.

Judge Hardcastle asked Trooper Mitchell, "Do you have the amended complaint ready?"

Trooper Mitchell replied, "Yes, Sir." He handed Rosco the complaint who handed it to Judge Hardcastle.

Judge Hardcastle studied the complaint for several minutes. "Mr. Davenport I will ask you once last time. Are you sure that you want to have these charges amended?"

Luther Davenport looked at Luke with contempt before answering the Judge, "Absolutely."

"So be it." replied Judge Hardcastle. "Lucas Duke you are now being charged with Indecent Exposure, Public Intoxication, one count of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, Resisting Arrest, and Statutory Rape. Do you understand these charges?"

Luke was standing straight and tall when he answered in a voice that he hope sounded confident, "Yes, Sir."

"You, Mr. Duke are entitled to an attorney, a preliminary hearing and a jury trial. Due to the seriousness of these charges I will have to order that both you and Miss Davenport undergo some medical testing which I will set up after this bond hearing." Stated Judge Hardcastle before continuing. "Do you wish to have an attorney appointed, Mr. Duke."

Luke took a deep breath before answering, "No, Sir, Your Honor."

Everyone in the Courtroom looked at Luke in shock.

Luke continued, "I don't need an attorney. If I could I'd like to waive the preliminary hearing, jury trial and all."

Judge Hardcastle shook his head. He could be a very hard case but he hated to see a young person not even give the system a chance to help them. Guilty or innocent he liked to see cases go through the Court to insure everyone was given what they were entitled to by law. "Mr. Duke I strongly advice against this. By waiving your rights now, you will have no recourse later."

"I understand that. Miss Davenport has been through far too much as it is over this matter. I'd just as soon get it over as quickly as we can so she can move on." stated Luke.

Judge Hardcastle sighed and asked, "Are you prepared to enter a plea and wave this bond hearing?"

Luke answered, "Yes, Sir. But, if I may first I'd like to ask the Court to honor one request. I am unsure if there is a way the Court can intervene in this matter or not, but I'd like to ask the Court to give or seek permission for Miss Davenport to marry me regardless of the outcome of the charges?"

Judge Hardcastle set back and studied the young man before him for several minutes before speaking. "Mr. Davenport, standing before myself today in this Court is a young man who has made a grave mistake. I see him owning up to that mistake and trying everything in his power to make amends for this mistake. I know that a law has been broken and you are seeking justice which you will get if you insist on continuing this matter, but, don't you think it would serve your daughter, this Court, this State and this young man far better to end this matter here?"

Mr. Davenport said in a loud voice, "I want him to pay for making a WHORE..."

His sentence was cut short as Luke shoved past Jesse who was standing to his right and was heading full force at Mr. Davenport. Jesse, Bo, and the other along with and Rosco caught Luke about the time the State Troopers caught Mr. Davenport. Luke and Luther were in the center of the Courtroom face to face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judge Hardcastle pounded his gavel and exclaimed, "Order! I will have order in my Court!"

Everyone stopped right where they were with Luke and Luther still face to face.

Hardcastle spoke with authority, "I will have NO name calling in this Court Mr. Davenport. Mr. Duke I will not tolerate disruptions like this even if it was provoked. We will recess for ten minutes I suggest everyone check their temper at the door on your way back in. Court dismissed for ten minutes."

Peggy led Luke and Jesse back to a witness room at the side of the Court room.

Once she shut the door, Jesse said, "Luke, now I know none of this is easy but you don't want the Judge on your bad side either."

Luke shook his head in agreement, "I know, Uncle Jesse, I sort of lost it for a second there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BL and Daisy went out with Dixie as she couldn't go back with Jesse and Luke. "Dixie, Honey, your Dad is just mad. He didn't mean ..."

"Yes he did, Daisy. He has told me I was a whore and once a whore always a whore, that no one would ever want me as a wife after this." said Dixie with tears in her eyes.

Daisy smiled, "Sugar that's not what I heard in there."

Dixie smiled weakly, "That may be but my Father will NEVER allow it. He swore he'd make Luke pay but I think I'm paying too."

B.L was mad at Luther but trying to stay calm for Dixie's sake. "Daisy's right Luther's just mad. He don't mean it or he'd think the same thing about me and if he does he aint said so. Luke loves you and he said he'd marry you that oughta count for somethin' cos it wasn't just words he MEANT it. The look on Luke's face had said that he meant every word."

Dixie tried to get a grip and replied, "Yeah I know. I got to talk to him and he asked me to marry him just now, but it won't happen.

BL sighed and put her arm around Dixie's shoulders "probably not Luther's a stubborn man and no amount of beggin' pleadin and threats will make him change his mind on this most likely."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo and the other boys walked out with Cooter. Bo began, "Cooter?"

Cooter turned on them defensively, "Now, Bo, guys, I know you are all on Luke's side here, but messing with MY sister is going way too far!"

Bo said, "We've all been friends too long for this to come between us."

Cooter replied, "Bo, I know that, but it will come between us. That's why it was so wrong what Luke did. I know you all will back Luke. I have to go with Dad on this one."

Bo knew Cooter was right that this would come between them and simply asked, "What will is solve, Cooter?"

Cooter knew Bo was also right about not solving anything but for Luke to mess around with Dixie, well, Cooter felt that his trust in his friend had been betrayed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesse advised, "The first chance you get in there to talk apologize to the Judge."

"I will, Uncle Jesse." said Luke. Then he sighed heavily, "Luther's not going to let me marry her. ..." He paused and looked down slightly, "Uncle Jesse I'm sorry for all this. Please tell the others that." After another long pause Luke looked up at Jesse. "You do know I'm going in there to plead Guilty."

"Luke, I see no way out of this right now, but I wished you'd not do that, so maybe it would buy sometime to think about another option. I do understand your reasons for doing it, if you do. I also want you to know I'm proud of you for the way you have conducted yourself through this all. Luke, always know, that we all love and support you." said Jesse.

Rosco opened the door, "It's time."

Everyone entered the Courtroom again. Rosco called the Court to Order. The Judge said to the court reporter, "Please read the last bit of transcript."

She said,

"Judge Hardcastle, 'Are you prepared to enter a plea and wave this bond hearing?' Luke answered, 'Yes, Sir. But, if I may first I'd like to ask the Court to honor one request. I am unsure if there is a way the Court can intervene in this matter or not, but I'd like to ask the Court to give or seek permission for Miss Davenport to marry me regardless of the outcome of the charges?'Judge Hardcastle, 'Mr. Davenport standing before myself today in this Court is a young man who has made a grave mistake. I see him owning up to that mistake and trying everything in his power to make amends for this mistake. I know that a law has been broken and you are seeking justice which you will get if you insist on continuing this matter, but, don't you think it would serve your daughter, this Court, this State and this young man far better to end this matter here?'Mr. Davenport, 'I want him to pay for making a WHORE...' "

After the reporter read this Judge Hardcastle directed, "Mr. Davenport, please answer the question without any name calling this time."

Luther answered, "I want him to pay. I will never give my daughter permission to marry him."

During the break Judge Hardcastle had checked into the legalities of this all. He said, "I am sorry Mr. Duke, Ms. Davenport, without parental permission I can not give permission from the courts for you two to marry." he paused, "Mr. Duke are you still prepared to enter a plea?"

Luke answered, "Yes, Sir and I would like to say I am sorry for my part in the disruption earlier."

Judge Hardcastle asked, "Do you need the charges read again before entering your plea?"

"No, Sir." replied Luke.

"Very well. Please stand and approach the bench." said the Judge. This still obviously bothered him. "How would you like to plead to the above charges in this matter?"

Luke stood up standing as straight as he could and approached the bench. "Guilty as charged Your Honor."

Behind Luke there was movement which never registered to him. Daisy gasped. Bo stood up only to be sat back down by Jesse.

At the other table Luther smiled. Cooter dropped his head. Dixie bit her lip to keep from crying out.

Judge Hardcastle said, "Enter a Plea of Guilty to the above charges. I can set up a sentencing hearing for ...one week from today." he paused.

Once Luke was settled in the cell, Peggy let the Dukes and two Davenports. Bo was the first to speak after, "Luke! Did you HAVE to do that? Are you CRAZY?"

Standing holding hands of both Daisy and Dixie, Luke replied evenly, "Yes, I did. And, No, I'm not."

Bo voiced what was on the others mind but no one (except Luke and Jesse -- unknown to the others) had talked about . "By saying you're guilty on this you'll..." Bo paused trying to choke the lump in his throat back down to try to talk to Luke in the short time they would have. "Luke, you'll go to jail..." Bo looked up to try to stop the tears that were threatening.

Luke knew his next statement to Bo was likely to upset him, Dixie and Daisy more so than the others so Luke tried to speak with a calmness he didn't feel.

Peggy gave them as long as she could but finally told them it was tme to go for the day.

Dixie was the last to go upstairs with Jesse. Outside she was met by Daisy and BL.

Cooter was waiting a few feet away, "Dad wants you home now!"

Dixie glared at Cooter and told Daisy, "We got to go. I'll be in touch."

Dixie got in her car that Luke had bought for her, 'Dixie Delight', BL got in with her and they headed toward teh Davenports. Cooter turned in and Dixie grabbed another gear as she passed the turn off. The car tried to come around on her and BL was holding on for dear life. Dixie smiled as she straightened the car and continued down the road. She fully intended to go to the Dukes.

BL's eyes were wide open, "SH-- where are you going?!"

"B. I ain't going back there. Not now anyway." Dixie stated.

"Well if you don't slow down you ain't goin nowhere but the pearly gates" holding onto the door with a death grip.

Dixie looked at BL, "B. I got it. She does this! The General's worse!"

"I wouldn't know Bo won't let me drive the General." BL grumbed.

"Ya know Luther's gonna kill us cos we're SUPPOSED to go home." BL said.

Dixie sighed, "B I'm dead either way. It would only end in a screaming match again tween us."

B.L nodded agreement "Yeah I'd probably be in that screaming match too...probably gonna get killed msyelf."

"BL I'm REALLY sorry about ALL this! I know you are stickingyour neck out for me and I'll always rememebr that." Dixie said sincerely.

B.L looked at Dixie and smiled "Honey Luther ain't doin' you or Luke fair. You didn't do nothin' I ain't done I just didn't get caught and with a guy 4 yrs older than me."

Dixie looked at BL and almost forgot she was in control of the car, "WHAT?" She nearly ran off the road!

B.L rolled her eyes at Dixie "I ain't innocent and you know it. DIXIE LOOK OUT! If you cant drive any better than that I'LL drive!" She was holding on for dear life and pale after Dixie almost runs off the road.

Dixie got the car under control, waved off BL's comment, and said, "I got her! BUT, WHEN?? It wasn't that long ago you said you'll hadn't!"

"Same night as you and Luke at Hazzard Pond." BL admitted with a slight grin.

Dixie hit the breaks hard and said, "WHAT????? WHERE????? YOU MEAN YA'LL COULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT INSTEAD OF US? And wouldn't have been a DA-- thing said!"

B.L nodded "That's exactly what I mean!"

"DA-- IT!" that bit of information was more than a very stressed Dixie could handle right now!

"If it'd change things I'd tell on myself but it wouldn't help except it might take some of Luther's wrath off ya." BL offered.

"No, BL, that's not my problem with the whole thing. It's just so da-- UNFAIR!!! We both had a 50 - 50 chance of getting caught. With ya'll Luther may have been mad but Konrad wouldn't be going to prison!" Dixie was just barely holding it together but she wasn't mad at BL. She was more mad at LIFE and the unfairness of it all.

B.L nodded in agreement "No he'd be DEAD!"

Dixie turned to BL with the car still in the middle of the road, "BL I'm the cause of Luke going to prison for years and he won't even fight it. I might as well be dead."

BL turned in her seat a little putting a hand on Dixie's shoulder "Dixie you didn't know what you were doing was gonna cause all this. It's just a fluke of circumstance."

Dixie said with tears flowing, "NO it's MY life!"

BL sighed, "Well Dix I don't know what else to tell ya except to suggest we get out of the road and to Jesse's" BL wanted to get to the Dukes and tell Jesse how Dixie was talking and let him know that frankly she was worried about Dixie."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the Duke farm Jesse had his hand full even before Dixie and BL got there. Bo was beside himself with LUke facing prison.

"Uncle Jesse he can't do that he just can't" Bo was just about to have a breakdown he was so upset over what was happening to Luke.

"Bo, he's doing what he thinks is best for Dixie it's all he can do. We's got to support him not fall to pieces."

Bo shook his head 'no' furiously "Can't you make him see sense?"

Jesse sighed this was hard on all of them but Bo was especially taking it hard even harder than Daisy. "No Bo I've talked to him and he's determined to go through with this, there's nothing I can say to make him change his mind."

Bo was about to blow a gasket, "UNCLE JESSE! Luke CAN'T do THAT! He CAN'T just LET THEM take him to PRISON!!!"

Jesse put his hand on Bo's shoulder "Bo, he don't want to go to prison but if he pleads innocent they will do tests on Dixie to prove what they did and Luke said he WOULDN'T let that happen."

Bo wasn't being really rational, "He's choosing protecting her over Himself! Over ME!!!" He had all he could take and stormed out the back door!

Jesse knew Bo just needed time to work things out in his mind so he watched him head toward the barn. He knew he was going to the hayloft.

Jesse looked out the window he wasn't any happier about the thought of Luke going to prison than Bo was but he also had to think about all the other 'kids' not just worry about Luke. He hoped Luther would calm down and not ruin his relationship with Dixie over this.

As Jesse was having these thoughts Dixie and B.L pulled up in 'Dixieland Delight'. Jesse went out on the porch as the two girls got to the steps. B.L looked a little shakey and pale.

"Now didn't Luther tell you two to go straight home?" Jesse asked them gently

B.L nodded and said "Yes sir but she got me in the car and instead of following Cooter on home she grabbed another gear kept going and ALMOST killed US!!"

Dixie swallowed and threw herself at Jesse wrapping her arms around him burying her face in his overalls and sobbing "I....I...w...w...was...af...afra....afraid....ta....go....hoooome!"

Jesse wrapped his arms around the sobbing girl and looked to BL for an explanation. B.L sighed and answered the unasked question.

"Luther still ain't 'dealt' with her and she's afraid of what he's going to do. You saw how he was at the house! "

Jesse said, "Girls I've tried to reason with him too."

Dixie looked up at him, "Uncle Jesse I almost couldn't walk for a month over a hickey. He'll kill me over this!"

Jesse said "I'm sure he's not going to kill you he'll calm down."

B.L spoke up "Uncle Jesse he bounced Konrad's head off the wall ALL the way downstairs when he saw him coming out of my room one morning BEFORE all this. I just thought he was furious then but I ain't never seen him THIS mad!"

Uncle Jesse sighed. He wasn't real sure how he could help the girls. "First I'll call him and let him know ya'll are here. Then, we'll set down a spell and get you both calmed down. THEN, I'll go with ya'll out to the farm and make sure if he's going to whip you he does it right."

B.L's brow wrinkled and she asked with one corner of her mouth quirked up in a grin trying to lighten the mood. "How about makin' sure he don't whip us at all?"

Jesse replied, "I'll do my best girls, but I can't stop him if he's determined to whip ya'll."

Dixie said, "I'll take a whippin' but he's really scaring me."

Jesse said, "Now ya'll go find Daisy and I'll call Luther."

The girls walked off toward Daisy's room.

Jesse asked Maybell to get him the Davenport farm.

Luther answered with anger in his voice, "Davenports!"

"Luther this is Jesse Duke." Jesse said.

"What do you want Jesse?" Luther growled.

Jesse replied, "I'm calling to let you know that BL and Dixie are here........"

"I TOLD them to come STRAIGHT HOME!" Luther was about to explode as if it wasn't bad enough they were now outright defying his orders.

"I know that's why I'm calling you." Jesse said calmly.

Luther took a deep breath and let it out slowly and tried to speak civilly "Thank you for letting me know they are ok Jesse, tell them I said get home NOW!!"

"I'm going to try to get them to eat a bite of lunch and then I'll see to it they come straight home."

"I guess that'll be ok" Luther agreed grudgingly.

Jesse added, "Luther this is a bad time for us all, but you have got to try to calm down a bit before they get there."

"Calm down?! How the HE-- am I SUPPOSED to calm down when my 16 yr old daughter is a WHORE and my neice ain't any better?!" Luther snapped.

Jesse cautioned sternly, "Luther don't make me get Rosco involved in this. They act like they are scared to come home."

Luther made a real effort now to calm down at the threat from Jesse to get Rosco involved, "No need to get Rosco involved I'm calm"

Jesse knew better but answered, "Just try to calm down and I'll have the girls home soon." Jesse didn't mention that he fully intended to go with them home.

Luther sighed and said "I want them home in an hour ONE hour no longer!"

"Ok see you in an hour." Jesse said and hung up the phone. Luther hung up on the other end a little harder than necessary. He looked at Cooter sitting on the couch and said "Well they decided to go to Jesse's he's gonna bring them home in an hour. He said they was actin' like they was scared to come home."

"Well, Dad I am on your side here and all but I can't says I blame them. You are almost over that line of being out of control. I know I was too the other night when I told them to arrest me and put me in the cell with Luke, but I have calmed a bit, but you ain't."

Luther turned red at Cooter's comment and shouted "I AM CALM!"

Cooter raised his eyes wide open and said calmly, "No ya ain't."

Luther pinched the bridge of his nose squinting his eyes shut tightly for a few seconds trying to calm down "Jesse threatened to call Rosco and get him involved."

"Well the way you are acting, I can't say I blame him. I know they did wrong but you are out for blood. I'm afraid myself you will take your anger at Luke out on Dixie."

Luther sank down in his recliner his head in his hands Cooter was right he had to calm down before he dealt with Dixie or he'd hurt her and he didn't want to do that. He was furious with Luke and Dixie but he couldn't let his anger at Luke loose on Dixie. He stood up and said "I'm gonna take a LONG walk before Jesse gets here with the girls."

Cooter sighed hoping his Dad walked off some of the anger before he got back. Luther picked up the shot gun and walked out the door he was going to do some target practicing while he was out. He walked out the door and toward the woods at the side of the house.

Cooter knew from the amount of rounds, that with each shot, Luther's pictured target was his 'life long friend', Luke Duke. He sincerely hoped that Luther's shooting practice would calm him down. Luther had to have shot at least a hundred rounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile Judge Hardcastle was doing legal research. He did not want to send Luke to prison but if the law deeemed it necessary he would, but with the conflict now raging he was almost certain there was a legal loop hole that would give Luke Duke an option of Prison or Military. From what he had seen the young man wasn't afraid to fight for the right reasons. He just had to find the law that said he could that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke on the other hand had already faced the fact that he wasn't ever going home a young man. He was mentally trying to prepare himself for a lifetime of being told where to go and when to go.

NARRATOR: And that folks ain't a Duke's nature!

Bo on the other hand was setting in the hayloft trying to fiugre out just what Luke's logic was in this situation. He knew there were often times that Luke came up with plans he didn't fully understand but he just for the life of him couldn't figure out Luke's thinking AT ALL this time. He had been so worked up over Luke he had not even thought of going after the General Lee. Luke had told him that he had left him parked in the meadow and Mr. Peabody's. Bo was sure he knew exactly where he'd find the General Lee. He climbed down and seen that Jesse and Daisy was busy talking with Dixie and BL. So, he decided to have Jeb give him a ride out to the Peabody place.

Jeb easied the motocycle off the road. Even in full daylight only the flag on the top of the car could be seen. How had teh Troopers spotted it last night.

Bo wondered as he got off the bike and just stood looking at the car.

Jeb asked, "Bo are you alright?"

Bo snapped out of his thoughts and answered, "Yeah, Jeb. I'm Ok. Tell Uncle Jesse I took the General out for a drive, huh?"

Jeb nodded as he pulled out.

Bo made his way to the car. The backs of both seats were still leaning forward which told Bo they had gotten out of the backseat without bothering to get into the front seat first. In the back floor board was Luke's socks. He had obviously gotten dressed in a hurry. This was confirmed by the red halter top sticking out of the back seat that Dixie had worn under a button up shirt last night. Bo figured she had just grabbed the button up shirt. Bo took another look at the General Lee and everything about it confirmed what he knew about last night. Bo bit his lip trying to keep control. He was mad. No he was furious that Luke was in this situation and NOT even trying to get himself out of it. Bo knew he had to talk to Luke and talk to him now. He had to try to talk some scense into Luke before it was too late. Bo headed the General Lee straight for the Boar's Nest.

Daisy was at work by then and she was just a bit suprised to see Bo come in. She could only hope he wasn't coming in to get drunk. Bo ordered a beer which he barely touched. Daisy was keeping an eye on him. He appeared that he was waiting on someone instead of trying to get drunk. She wondered what was on his mind as the place began to fill up. Daisy was now a bit too busy to watch Bo like she had been but she asked the bartender, "Is that still his first beer?"

Charlie shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Yeah, something wrong?"

Daisy said, "I hope not. Maybe he's just thinking, but sorta keep an eye on him for me huh?" She knew Charlie knew the boys well. Word about Luke and Dixie had spread like wildfire.

It was about 9pm when Sheriff Rosco P. Coultrane stopped in to make his normal rounds and for a cup of coffee. He only had taken a few sips of coffee when a commotion broke out behind him.

Bo had now finished his nearly full beer in just a couple drinks, got up before anyone knew what was going on, walked over to the biggest guy in the place who happened to be Ernie Ledbetter, and swung a punch that landed Ernie out of his chair and in the middle of the floor. Ernie was now up and swinging at Bo who had hit him for apparently no reason on Earth.

Rosco got up and grabbed Bo back the back of shirt collar, "Freeze it right there! Bo Duke you are under arrest! What is with you just hitting a person for no reason????"

Bo never said a word as Rosco cuffed him and headed him out the door.

Daisy didn't have a clue what had gotten into Bo's head either as she watched Rosco put him in the car he had a very satisfied look on his face as Rosco drove him toward the jail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke was setting on the hard bunk looking at the same spot on the floor that he had been looking at for the last two hours. He was thinking about the conversation with Judge Hardcastle in his chambers where he had explained the charges and the penalties. He knew before that the laws of this state took charges like his seriously, but when the Judge had fully explained that even if the misdemeanors were dropped or the time he'd get ran together with the Statatory Rape charge that he'd be lucky to be home in twenty years. He was now thinking of the little things he had given up: Jesse's breakfasts, walks in the woods, swims in the lake, but what was even more painful to think about was not being able to ride in the General Lee with Bo.

It was then he heard doors upatairs and foot steps. Luke turned his attention to the stairs where he saw a handcuffed Bo being brought down the satirs by a giggling Sheriff. Luke looked at his cousin confused, "Bo?? What is going on???"

Bo still hadn't said anything but had what Luke though was a look of satifaction.

Rosco opened the cell beside Luke.

Bo asked, "Rosco can you put me in with Luke?"

The picture was now perfectly clear even to Rosco who shook his head and opened the door of the cell to Luke's cell putting Bo in with Luke.

Bo looked at Luke with tears in his eyes, "Luke I HAD to talk to you!"

At that moment all Luke could do was nod. He heard the pain in Bo's voice which cut straight to his heart.

It took him several minutes before he could ask, "Bo just WHAT did you do to end up here?"

Bo swallowed the lump in his throat and said proudly, "Punched Ernie."

Luke asked in disbelief, "YOU punched Ernie? Why?" Luke had to ask because it was usually him and Erinie who did not see eye to eye, not Bo.

Bo grinned, "He was the biggest guy in the Boar's Nest."

Luke asked, "You just punched for no other reason than he was the biggest guy there?"

"Yelp." Bo said with total satisfaction, "Got me here to talk to you didn't it?"

Luke.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*****Note: In my state right now there is no such charge of "Statatory Rape" the charge that come closest to this situation would be Sexual assault in the third degree, which the sentence is 1-5 years, but since we are in the fictional world of Hazzard County where men like to protect the female in their lives they have passed laws to 'deal' with men who disrespect women. So the penalty for "statatory rape" in this case is twenty years flat.

Luther was back at the house and had put the shot gun back in it's usual place. He was considerably calmer now after shooting off 100 rounds or so. Cooter was out doing chores mostly to avoid being in the house with Luther.

Jesse was still at the farm with B.L and Dixie talking to them while they were eating some lunch. The phone rang and Jesse got up to answer it

"Hello, Duke farm Jesse Duke speaking"

"Uncle Jesse it's Bo"

Jesse swallowed his big toe had been hurting him he just wondered what Bo had got himself into. "Where are ya Bo?"

Bo swallowed Jesse was not going to like this one bit "I....I'm in jail"

"WHAT?!" Jesse couldn't believe with all that was going on with Luke that Bo would go and get himself arrested.

"Uncle Jesse just let me explain, I needed to talk to Luke and this was the only way I could.? Bo explained sounding desperate and hoped Jesse would understand.

Dixie and B.L were looking at each other with puzzled looks wondering what was going on now.

Jesse took a deep breath and let it out slow saying "I'll be down as soon as I drop B.L and Dixie off at home."

Bo replied, "You don't have to come Uncle Jesse. Please. Let me stay with Luke?"

Jesse sighed, "I'll be down to see what's going on."

Luke looked at Bo, "I take it he wasnt' real happy with you?"

"No." Bo said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After hours of research and several phone calls Judge Hardcastle found the legal loop hole that he was looking for. He headed off to the jail to explain what he'd found out to Luke. This would give him time to think and talk over his options with his family. But, at least now he did have options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Davenport farm, Jesse pulled in right behind Dixie and BL. Luther was a bit suprised that Jesse came with them.

Jesse walked up on the porch and was met by a visibly calmer Luther Davenport.

"Jesse?" Luther asked surprised to see that the Duke patriarch had come with the two girls, "There was no need....."

Jesse replied, "I was going out anyway. I got to go to town, but I wanted to make sure things were Ok here."

Luther said, "Yes of course things are fine her. I just plan on giving these girls what they should have gotten earlier."

Dixie sighed and looked at BL then gave Jesse a pleading look.

"Uncle Luther I was just tryin' to keep you from killin' Dixie" B.L plead her case.

Jesse saw that Luther did intend to whip them and BL wasnt helping matters. "Luther just how much of a whippin' do you intend to give these girls?"

Luther didn't appreciate Jesse's question but answered him, "I figured 20 licks would be good. I was going to stop counting at fifty earlier!"

Dixie and BL's eye went wide! Dixie and B.L's knees started to shake and go weak as they paled white as a sheet. Tears trickled down their faces. Both were hyperventilating and looked as though they were going to faint.

BL started to cry at the thought of 20 licks and began to beg him not to give her that many, when she saw a warning glance from Jesse to be quiet.

Jesse said, "I also suspect they will be grounded?"

Luther replied certainly, "To their room, when not at work or school, for LIFE."

Jesse suggested, "Why don't ya consider grounding them longer and giving them half as many licks? Luther you've been whipped like I have. You know when it's not a whippin' anymore but a beating."

Luther nodded and tried to sound sincere, "I know Jesse I'm not going to give them that many I was just scaring them."

Jesse shook his head and said, "I'll just be sticking around til your done if ya don't mind."

Luther was not happy at what he now saw as interference, but would later realize that Jesse was looking out or him and the girls. He gritted his teeth and replied, "So be it! Ya'll are ground for your LIVES and then some! Now, who's first?"

Dixie had seen his leather strap already on the porch and waiting. She wasn't ashamed for her actions with Luke and intended to show that with all the defiance she could still muster up. She straightened her shoulders and stepped toward Luther. She then bent over, grabbed her ankles, gritted her teeth and swore not to give him the satisfaction of uttering a single word. From the first lick she knew Luther had waited in his eyes too long to do this and he da-- well intended to make them count! By the third lick she was holding her breath and her eyes were tightly closed trying in vain not to shed any tears. Her behind was as on fire as it had EVER been. By the ninth lick Dixie had tears dripping off her face and hitting the porch.

Luther said and he gave the nine licks time to sink in, "BL's watching you. You WILL remain out here and watch her!" He had known after the tenth lick Dixie would have went to her room as quickly as possible. He delivered the tenth and final lick very firmly.

Dixie almost fell as she stood up. It was a combination of the pain of the whippin' and where she had held her breath which was now coming in short sobbing gasps. But she still didn't say a word.

B.L managed to stay still through the first 9 but was crying almost uncontrollably. When the 10 lick landed it was hard enough to literally raise her feet off the ground to begin to go to her room as she was told.

Both girls slowly and QUIETLY made their way up the stairs to the bedrooms. Since BL's room was closest to the top of the stairs both girls went there.

Dixie finally let go of 'herself' and began to cry uncontrollably. Not just becasue of the whippin', but for Luke and for BL too. Dixie knew BL wouldn't have gotten whipped at all if it wasn't for her trying to protect Dixie.

Once Jesse was certain the girls were Ok, relatively speaking, he left to go see what was in those danged boys minds!

Dixie and BL had finally managed to calm down and ended up drifting off to sleep.

Luther got a wrecker call and as he started out the door saw the Judge, Dixieland Delight as well as Dixie's Thunderbird setting in the front yard. He turned around and headed upstairs. He opened BL's door and said in a booming voice. "I want ya'll car keys now!"

It took BL a second to get awake but she held out her keys. She had finally been able to get comfortable and intended to do the least amount of movement as possible.

Dixie reached in her pocket and handed Luther one key of her key ring.

Luther knew it was the Thunderbird key. He said, "I want the other key too." Even Luther did not expect the answer Dixie gave him.

"No." she said calmly but defiently.

"I don't have time for this. I have a wrecker call. You two are grounded. I want the key." Luther said. His blood was ona slow simmer.

BL gave Dixie a look and said, "Dixie are you NUTS!?"

Dixie set up and winced as she set on her sore bottem that was likely to be a he-- of a lot sorer. "Luke bought ME that car. You have no claim to it. Besides this is all about principal. You know da-- good and well either of us could hot wire any car out there IF we intended to go somewhere which I don't! But, I WON'T give YOU the keys!"

Luther glared, "Yes, you will!" He pulled off his belt.

BL's eyes went wide.

Dixie said, "No I won't." She knew she'd pay for this stubborness. She knew that when she defied him but she was just past the point of caring.

"Bend over. We'll see how long it is 'fore you beg me to take the key." Luther demanded.

BL felt hopeless but she wasn't stupid. She'd literally stuck her behind out for Dixie way too far as it was.

Dixie gave him just the slightest grin as she stood up, showed him the keys and put them down the front of her jeans, then she turned around and bent over.

BL knew this wasn't good. The Davenports could be stubborn and she now knew where Dixie got her stubborness from. It had to be from Luther. The man certainly could not deny she was his. BL knew four things at this moment: One Luther would whip her till he got the key; Two Dixie would let him beat her to death first; Three BL couldn't stop him and Four Dixie needed help. BL bolted down the stairs even with her sore behind hoping to find Cooter. He was out side in the yard, she yelled, "Cooter!"

Cooter............

Cooter looked up from what he was doing and said "what? I thought you and Dixie were upstairs asleep by now."

B.L knew there wasn't time to explain alot most likely by now Luther had started in on Dixie "Luther's gonna whip Dixie again cos she won't give him 'Dixie Delight's key!"

"SH--! Ain't that girl learned a da-- thing today?" he asked himself more than B.L and took off running in the door and bounding up the stairs with B.L following slowly and stiffly behind.

Luther had Dixie bent over and was indeed whipping her he had the belt pulled back for another lick saying "Give ME the key Dixie!"

Dixie knew it was coming again and her butt was already on fire after three licks but she just didn't care "NO!!! AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!"

B.L cringed those would be Dixie's famous last words she was sure. Cooter went over and put a hand on Luther's wrist to the hand that was holding the belt. "Dad don't she's had enough today, remember what Jesse said afore ya whipped her earlier? This is crossin' that line."

Luther nodded and opened his hand letting the belt fall to the floor he knew of father's who beat their kids and he refused to be one of them no matter what his kids were doing. Dxie opened her eyes when there was no belt connecting with her behind at her refusal to still hand over her car key.

Cooter.......