Picking Up the Pieces

runningwild

Bo sighed and hung his head, not turning around. Luke could talk all he wanted, but it wasn't words Bo wanted to hear...it was proof. He'd seen all the evidence that had been backing up everything that he had been saying to Luke...he's seen nothing that showed him Luke was being serious.

Finally Bo turned again, looking back to Luke.

"I can't forgive you...not this eaisly and not this soon...you've got a long way to go to prove to me that the man I looked up to is still there somewhere...I can't just take your word for it anymore."

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'll try to give you proof Bo because I know I'm not fit to have my word taken anymore." Luke let out a deep sigh and looked Bo square in the eye.

"I don't expect you to forgive me, but I think I could forgive you. There's where we differ, Cousin."

Pushing around the dirt beneath his feet with the toe of his right boot, he shook his head. That seemed to be the only thing anyone could do while talking to Bo mostly because there was nothing to say to him that could change his mind.

Luke wanted to be spiteful, but still his next question was asked whole heartedly. "I don't even know if she's still alive. I lost you both, Bo. It's like you're hanging over the edge of a cliff and here's my chance to pull you back over just so I can save you."

Holding out his hand, he wanted to show Bo that he meant business and that he wanted to mend things between them.

Luke held his hand out for a second longer before pulling it back in. He excepted his defeat in trying to take a step forward in the long process of regaining Bo trust. Slowly he just nodded look toward the ground, then his gaze went back up to Bo.

"Thank you."

That was all he could say to Bo for telling him about Cassie. He was grateful that his cousin wasn't mad enough not to let him know just that.

"So, you want me to go ahead and fill you in on what I figure we should do about Sawyer?"

"Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm just jumping the gun."

Luke lingered in his spot for a few extra seconds, before turning his back to Bo and walking back to his seat. He guessed that there was no reason for him to just stand there because Bo didn't want to talk to him.

Daisy had pulled back into the driveway, in a hurry. Dust was flying every which-a-way along with her hair. "Uncle Jesse! Uncle Jesse!" She had caught wind at the Boarsnest that Luke had been busted out of jail.

Jesse stepped out of the house wiping his hands off with a dry dish towel. "What is it, Daisy?"

"Luke's been busted out!" Daisy was a little worried and over excited all at the same time.

"I know Darlin'. Bo got him out a while ago and they're waiting on us up at one of the still sites." He paused, "Come on it's time for us to get up there and see what's going on."

Daisy nodded and headed back to her Jeep and waited on her Uncle Jesse to hop into his old pickup. Once he pulled out she followed him with a whole mess of excitement building up in her.

Meanwhile, in town Sawyer had made it back to his rented hotel room without any trouble. No one had recognized him and if they did they wouldn't remember what he did for anything. He was high on his own horse and happy that he could bury that Duke boy farther into the ground with charges. He was sure that Luke Duke would never see the day of light again. Sitting in the available chair placed in the room, the bathroom door swung open.

"Did you get him out?" The female voice sounded hopeful.

Sawyer smirked, "He's out."

Cassie was overjoyed by this news, "Oh, thank you Sawyer! Thank you!"

He just simply nodded, "Don't mention it, Dimples."

Sawyer's plan was coming along beautifully. Cassie had been released from jail and he picked up right up. He told her that he could get Luke out of jail, when in reality he was feeding Luke lies about how he was going to let him rot. Actually, he had caught wind from a few buddies of his that Bo Duke would be heading back to Hazzard and he knew today would be the day to put his plan into action. There was no doubt in his mind that Bo Duke wouldn't help his cousin bust out of jail today. Bo hated Sawyer that much and wanted him to get what was coming to him. On the other hand, he didn't tell Cassie how Luke got out of jail, which is what made his plan perfect. She would think that he had helped her as repayment for her helping him evade the police. In reality, he wanted all along to get both Duke boys and Cassie together so he could finish his job. To him, that didn't seem to be too hard.

Bo sighed as he felt his front getting warm and rolled over carefully onto his front so the sun could tan his fairly well tanned back. From being on the track and covered up so much, his skin had kinda lost that healthy glow and he was looking forward to having it back.

He rested his head in his arms with closed eyes, imagining that he was at the lake where he so wanted to be at that moment without any worries, cares, fears or anything like that.

It wasn't too long before the sound of vehicles could be heard coming up the dirt path. Well it wasn't so much as path, but over the years its come to that because of the tire tracks. First, Uncle Jesse pulled up in his truck, then Daisy right up behind him.

Jesse got out of his truck slowly while Daisy was a little more zealous about jumping out. "Okay, let's get the talking started, I'm sure before too long Rosco and Enos are going to catch up to you boys."

Daisy hurried over to Luke and gave him a hug, which he returned graciously. Then, she turned to Bo, "Come on Bo, sit up can't nobody count on you listening when you're all sprawled out like that."

"I can listen just fine like this Daisy.."

Bo mumbled, too comfortable where he was to even consider moving from his spot, wishing that he'd actually heard Luke's plan earlier now so that he wouldn't have to have listened now and he could just relax. He knew that Daisy was going to keep asking him if he had heard what had been said every ten seconds.

"Well Bo Duke if I catch you sleepin' then you're gonna get it," Daisy said crossing her arm giving him a stern look before breaking into a smile.

Jesse leaned against Bo's car to keep an eye on Bo and to get comfortable to listen. He figured that Luke had a decent plan on how to get that fella put behind bars.

Luke moved closer to the group, "Alright, just hear me out. I'm still fuzzy on how some of this is going to work out, but I think we can do it." He smiled, "Well that Sawyer fella's in town and I'm sure he's not going to stick around for too long. He's either going to leave later on tonight or tomorrow. There ain't no place for him to stay in Hazzard except for the hotel. So, we need to set up a stake out around town to watch his every move. We don't need for him to get out of our sight. Once we catch him out of his room, I'm going to sneak in. Then, if Bo's willing I might need for him to go with me. But, then I'm going to need Daisy to get Enos and bring him to that room."

He looked over at Daisy and winked, "Just turn on your charm, Honey. You'll get him right there. But, you can't bring him until we give you a signal. That we're going to have to work out once we figure out which room he's in because it'll be hard to let you know when to head in without a radio."

Turning to his Uncle Jesse, he started telling him his job. "You just need to stay put in a place where you can see the hotel real good. Read the newspaper or something. I don't want him seein' you."

"Now, we're going to need Cooter's help, so whoever wants to get in touch with him can because I can't use the CB without drawing attention to myself. We have to be sure to keep Rosco and Boss Hogg as far away from this little operation as possible. Once we put everything in motion, we'll mostly have to play it by ear. This guy's dangerous so if you're put in a dangerous situation get out of there fast."

Luke looked from Daisy, to Jesse, to Bo before nodding, "So, what d'yall think about it?" He half waited for Bo to object, but what he wanted was some input, somebody to try to help him out with this.

Luke looked over at Bo, "You don't care about that Bo. Why would you even ask? I'm trying to show you that I meant everything I said. If I have to push her out of my life so that you'll forgive me, then so be it. If she wants to contact me she will, but I know that she knows what kind of shambles my life's in."

In truth, Cassie was only with Sawyer because she was going to contact Luke as soon as Sawyer got him out of jail. However, Sawyer's plan was going to let Cassie's plans play right into his hand.

Bo rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Oh c'mon...think outside the box would ya. Why would Sawyer offer t'help Cassie in the first place when Cassie is the one that can send him down to the slammer all by herself with all the evidence she can spill. You really think Sawyer is just gonna let Cassie run around free doin' what the heck she likes? I ain't interested in Cassie, I'm interested in not letting my family get hurt an' you asked what I was thinkin' of the plan. I think we don't need one...I think that Sawyer's got one all his own up his sleeve."

"You want to just play into his hands then, Cousin?" Luke stressed the last part of that out of frustration. "I don't know what to do anymore. I'm trying to figure out how to make everybody else happy, to make things right. And, the only thing that I can come up with is this plan. I'll admit that its not my best, but come on what do you think we should do? Wait around until Sawyer decides to kill us?"

Luke let out a hard sigh and didn't dare look over at Jesse or Daisy because he knew that both of them weren't going to get in the middle of this conversation. At least, not yet.

"Course i'm not suggesting that, for pete's sake. I'm saying lets let Sawyer think we're playing into his hands. You know for dang sure Cassie's gonna call the first chance she gets, she's gonna wanna meet up with ya in secret...but Sawyer's gonna follow...so lets reverse the trap and have the police and us waiting there for him already..."

Bo said with surprising logic...

The surprising logic let Luke with a surprised look on his face. Never once did he expect Bo to be so cooperative with everything. Actually, Luke's face fell into a look of relief and happiness.

"Cousin that's the best thing you've said all day!" A huge grin fell on his face, "Does that mean I'm now the one with the good looks and you've got the brains?"

Daisy shook her head as humor touched her face. On the other hand, Uncle Jesse shook his head.

"Well that means we've got to get everybody back to the farm and make sure that Rosco and Enos don't come there for Luke."

"I'm on it Bo, just get Luke back to the farm," Daisy smiled at Bo because she was happy that he wasn't been too ruthless towards Luke. Turning on her heels, she headed to her jeep. "I can keep Enos busy for a while. Bye Ya'll and good luck."

Uncle Jesse shook his head, "I'm going back to the farm. I'll give Cooter the call to tow Rosco's car. Ya'll get on scat!" Jesse headed back over to his truck to get the CB.

Luke headed over to the passenger's side of the car, "I know you're doing this for yourself, but thanks. Now, come on let's go back to the farm. Once we get there you can avoid me by walking into another room."

Luke looked over at Bo, "Why'd you put the General in storage?" The question was simple and he figured there was more than a simple answer to it. "I mean this is a nice car, but I figured you'd take the General with you. It'd been your car."

Jesse had talked to Cooter, who was keen on the idea. Of course, Jesse was smart enough not to give away their true conversation. All anybody who would overhear the conversation would know was that Cooter was hauling a car for the Dukes. Luckily, Cooter knew which car they wanted hauled with minimal detail.

Bo's jaw clenched as Luke mentioned the General, his temper constantly on edge along with all the other emotions he was feeling. Depending which one was provoked, they would come full force.

"No Luke, the General was OUR car...we built him TOGETHER and right now we ain't together as brothers or cousins so there's no point drivin' him...expecially not when slidin' in the dang windows makes me feel sick t'my stomach..."

Luke felt like he'd just been punched right in the stomach. It was apparent to him that The General Lee was their car and they had worked on him together.

"Okay, okay!" Luke shouted. "I guess I just can't get nothing right with you Bo. I've turned myself into a real jackass. I would've just wanted you to have the General with me out of the picture and all. You worked so damn hard on it that I thought you deserved it, if I couldn't be around."

Turning his head around, he stared at Bo while he was driving. "What's the safe words around you, Bo? I don't know what I'm allowed to say to you and what I'm not."

Luke wouldn't let something that simple silence him, "You're hurt and nothing else in this world matters does it? You don't give a damn about me."

This side of Luke was coming from being by himself for a long time. Somehow, he managed to revert back to somewhat the same state of mind that he carried during Vietnam.

"No your right, I dont give a damn about you because you're not Luke Duke. If you actually manage to find him somewhere then you tell him that I miss him, that i'm looking for him and that I wish he'd come back because I care about him a heck of a lot..."

Bo didn't say anything more, skidding into the farmyard just seconds later, getting out the car and slamming the driver's side door, stalking off across the yard and jumping the fence to walk into the back fourties.