Picking Up the Pieces

runningwild

Daisy nodded in response to Luke's question as she got in the car but didn't get thrown off the original topic of conversation at hand.

"I think her main dream Luke is to be here leading the quiet life with you...somewhere she can feel loved and safe with a proper family and make those dresses in that peace and quiet...I know after all this it would be what I would want..."

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"She's not the only one that has that dream," his gave Daisy a soft look. His eyes looked tired, but he figured that he didn't need to show it.

Opening the passenger door to Daisy's jeep, he hopped in and closed the door behind him. Leaning back against the seat, he stretched and spoke, "So, do you work tomorrow?"

Revving the Jeep to life, Daisy pulled out the parking lot while Jesse followed in the truck, smiling a little.

"What your dream is to settle down and make dresses? I always knew there was something strange about you Luke Duke..." She said with a giggle, knowing that wasn't what Luke meant but after everything she wanted to try and lighten the atmosphere up a little. " And yeah, I did nod at you as I was getting in, in answer to your question. I'm working from lunctime till late in the night."

A smile broke on Luke's face, "Yeah, the ruffles really bring out my eyes."

He paused, "Sorry about that Daisy. I guess I missed it because my mind feels like it's in a hundred places right now."

Sitting back, Luke just tried to enjoy the ride because he knew that it wouldn't be too long before he'd be lying in bed. Mostly, he'd be worrying, but he knew that there'd be a lot of awful dreams to deal with. He let out a soft sigh and just followed Dixie's headlights along the road.

Luke paced back a forth a little in the waiting room. Bo, had stirred a little while a nurse was checking his vitals and she had rushed Luke out. For the first time in a few days, he had felt hope that things were going to be fine and that he was going to be able to finally hear his cousin's voice.

He looked over at Cassie who had limped out of her room and was sitting in the waiting room, after hearing Luke's commotion. She just smiled at him and they shared no words.

However, just at that moment Jesse Duke came down the hall from getting a cup of coffee.

"Uncle Jesse!" Luke almost shouted at him, "Bo's awake!"

The elderly man's eyes widened, as excitement and hope washed over him.

Before long the nurse came out with a small smile, looking to the hopeful family with a small nod.

"He's awake and as far as we can see doing fine....he's still having a little trouble breathing but that's mainly where we've now taken him off the ventilator is all. He's on oxygen to make breathing a little eaisier until he can fully do it himself."

Daisy laughed happily with joy, hugging her Uncle as she smiled, glad that things were finally starting to look up again.

Luke heaved a sigh of relief, "Can we see him?" He sounded like a small child that was eager to see a new litter of puppies. With both hands on his hips, he almost seemed too anxious to wait for the nurse to respond.

Cassie had shifted in pain in her seat. She was getting ready to head back to her bed because there was no need for her to hang around much longer.

The nurse nodded again with a small chuckle at how impatient Luke seemed, knowing that the whole family had been protective and anxious about Bo's recovery through the whole of it.

"Of course in just a minute once the doctor's finished looking him over and finished running his tests to check for any other problems that may have arisen. He'll be out in just a little bit."

Luke's eyes lit up because this was his chance, "I knew he'd pull through and snap out of it." He picked up Daisy and swung her around once and sat her down. Laughs of happiness left his lips and filled the room.

The nurse just shook her hand and smiled, as she returned to her post. Cassie had limped behind her very slowly to get back to her room.

"Get this woman a wheelchair she's a hero," Luke announced to the entire waiting area. He pushed an available wheelchair over to her and motioned for her to sit down. The way he figured they had at least five minutes before they could see Bo, so he wanted to make sure Cassie got back to his room. Lord, he didn't want to look back and see Daisy and Uncle Jesse's expressions on his reaction.

"Thank you, Luke," Cassie eased down slowly. "I checked on you, now it's time for the doctors to check on me."

"Well Honey, I'll have you back to your room in two seconds. You just rest. I'll let you know how Bo is."

Cassie smiled to herself, "Don't let him know that I was wondering."

Shaking his head Luke agreed, "Wouldn't dream of it."

As he positioned the wheelchair beside of her bed, Luke offered her a hand to help get her up on her feet. She gladly accepted and after a minute was finally sitting on the edge of her bed. "I'm tough, but I'm not that tough." Cassie smiled again and it seemed to light up the room.

Luke parked the wheelchair in front of her bed, "You were always a spitfire. Now, I'm leaving this right here for if you want to come out of your room again. I don't want you walking."

Cassie nodded, "Okay, Luke. Thank you."

Daisy gasped in surprise as Luke suddenly turned and picked her up, laughing a little as he swung her round before putting her down. Shaking her head, she watched him help Cassie back to her room before looking to Jesse.

"You think maybe things can actually get back t'how they used to be..."

Jesse sighed and put an arm around her.

"Daisy girl....I dont know if they can ever be the same as before...there's gonna be reprucutions from this...they may get back to even better than before depending on what happens. Bo's awake, let's just focus on the present for now and help him through his recovery then we'll see what goes on from there...lord knows its about time I got my boys back though..."

"Now, you get some rest. I won't leave without saying goodbye." He smiled at her.

Cassie nestled into her pillow and smiled back.

Luke turned and headed out of her room and back down the hall. He almost bumped into the nurse that was keeping them updated on Bo's condition. She seemed surprised, but figured she would go ahead and tell them all. "You can go in now."

Motioning for Daisy and Uncle Jesse to follow, Luke went ahead and slipped into Bo's room. He looked better and that was the one thing that Luke noticed right off the bat. "Hey Bo."

Bo looked over to them as the doctor left the room with a small smile to the family, writing some notes down on his clipboard. The head of his bed had been raised so he could sit up properly without discomfort, his head resting against the soft pillows laid under it. Smiling a little, he whispered back - his energy still quite low and his throat dry and scratchy from having the tube down there so long.

"Hey..."

Daisy and Jesse decided that for a little while, it'd be better for Luke just to spend some time with his brother and hopefully start the process of getting everything back to how it should be again.

Luke had never felt so wonderful in his life just from hearing that Bo heard what he said to him. A smile spread on his lips and the older Duke laughed out of pure happiness. After the chuckle subsided, he had noticed that Bo was having trouble speaking.

"Well I wanted you to know that I was trying and that I wanted to be the man I'm suppose to be." His eyes focused on his younger cousin, who throughout their entire lives had been his brother. To some it would seem funny because Luke had a younger brother, but because of the circumstances, had grown to know his cousin as his brother.

"Want me to get you some water or anything you want to drink. I figure you could use a little something to soothe your throat. I can send Uncle Jesse and Daisy in to keep you company. I know they're dying to see you."

Bo nodded a little. It wasn't that he didn't want to talk to Luke...though in some ways he was dreading the kind of news Luke was gonna tell him, not knowing which way it was gonna go...for all he knew Luke could be off eloping with Cassie to halfway across the country so they could be together. But he really did need some water, having a tube shoved down your throat for a few weeks certainly didn't do it any good.

"Please..."

"Alright, I'll be back in a second," he smiled again at his cousin. Exiting the room, he looked over at Jesse and Daisy.

"I'm going to get him some water, but you two can go in a see him if you like," he started past them. "I know he'll want to see ya'll."

Luke went on past his uncle and cousin heading into a little room that included a pot of coffee and snacks. The water dispenser had an ample amount of cups, while the coffee pot had few. Luke reckoned that most visitors chose the caffeinated drink over water for the alertness it gave them.

As he filled Bo a cup of water, he paused and sat the cup down on the counter. Any prays that he had had been answers, when Bo pulled through. Shaking his head, the dark haired Duke smiled softly and picked up the cup heading back to Bo's room.

Jesse and Daisy smiled as Luke walked past, the bounce now seemed to be back in his step - one that hadn't actually been seen for many years since Cassie had first left him. He seemed genuinly happy, unlike the fake kind of happiness he had been putting on to appease everyone else.

Heading into the room, they greeted Bo with smiles and hugs and gentle questions of concern about his health. Finally the family felt like the pieces it had been shattered into were falling back into place.

Luke rounded the corner and entered Bo's room, "Here you go, Cousin. One nice cold cup of water. It's the best I can do, but just wait until you get back up on your feet. I'll buy you a beer at the Boarsnest."

Use to, Luke was a regular at the Boarsnest. Of course, this was just after Cassie had left him. The one girl that he loved had been a garbage disposal and took any and every pill you gave her. Then, Luke took himself to her level except he didn't care about narcotics. Every night Luke sat on the same barstool at the Boarsnest ordering beer after beer. Drowning his sorrows, he had a permanent seat at that bar. Luckily, for him and everyone else, he snapped out of it. He slowly got better, but a small part of him is still haunted by those long nights at that Hazzard hot spot.

Standing with his family, he plastered a bright, cheerful smile on his face. This was a blessing to Luke, who had almost lost all faith in everything.

Bo looked to him, taking the cup in a weak trembling hand that honestly he really didn't think he had the strength to lift right now. His chest twinged with pain every so often - memories he supposed from the first bullet wound he had gotten many years ago - but could also be from the fact he couldn't breathe properly on his own yet. His asthma coupled with the fact the gun shot had done some damage had taken away that ability for a little while. He would get better though, the doctors said so and by the looks of Luke, it seemed like - no matter how fake of a smile Luke wanted to plaster on his face - his older cousin looked like he needed Bo to get better to prove to the world that things were getting back to normal.

Jesse quickly took note at how Bo didn't lift the much needed water to his lips and gently put his hand over Bo's around the cup, helping him to lift the cup to his lips and take small, slow sips.

Missing the obvious fact that Bo was weak made Luke feel awful. He wanted to apologize, but he couldn't risk losing the smile on his face or the bounce in his step. Lately, that was all that Luke did was apologize.

"So, did the water help? I could always find you something else."

Daisy slid her arm around Luke, patting him on the back. It was as if she was trying to tell him to slow down. Yet, it could have been Daisy just offering her cousin a little support.

Suddenly, Luke looked like he just had the biggest realization in his life. "Oh, Bo are you hungry? I could get you something. Just let me know, Cous."

Pulling his closer, Daisy was almost as worried about Luke as she was about Bo. He seemed to be over exerting himself and working himself into an anxious fluster.

Bo frowned a little as Luke kept babbling on about things, swallowing down the small sips of water that Jesse fed him before turning his head away softly. He wasn't able to drink more than half a cup because his throat was too sore but it felt better than the dryness that had accompanied it before.

Looking to his older cousin as he asked yet another question, he sighed softly and motioned Luke to sit down.

Almost instantly, Luke closed his mouth and obeyed Bo's request silently. As he sat down, the entire room seemed to be at peace. Maybe his questions were just too much right now, but all that he wanted was for things to be like they were. To Luke, his life had seen too much, just one tragedy after another.

Opening his mouth slightly, the elder Duke cousin looked as if he was going to say something, but decided against it. He cursed himself for not understanding as Jesse and Daisy did about not having to speak.

Luke decided that for now, just as it had been all this time, that he had to just be there.