Picking Up the Pieces

runningwild

Luke accepted the squeeze, which was the only comfort that seemed to calm his nerves. Bo was right he didn't need to ask so many questions especially if he didn't expect Bo to answer anyway because of the condition of his throat.

"You're right. I'm sorry. I guess I was just excited is all."

He took a deep breath and smiled, "Now, I guess I better just keep quiet."

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first, Luke chose not to say anything to Bo's comment. Somehow he had convinced himself that he was excited that his cousin was awake, but then again he was over worried about Bo and everything.

After heaving a sigh, he looked over at Bo, "You might be right."

The pause after his comment was deafening.

"Like I said, I just need to keep quiet. I don't want to go making things worse."

"How...is keepin...quiet gonna...resolve things bet...between us?"

Bo reasoned softly, knowing now that Luke was probably just as worried about what they would talk about as he was. He didn't know what was going on, but he knew if he and Luke were to be the same, it needed to happen before either had a chance to back out and make excuses.

"It's not, Bo. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what to say. For the longest time, you wouldn't let me say anything to you, and now it's my chance. I know I'm messin' it up, but just give me a little time to get my thoughts together."

Luke looked from his cousin to his Uncle Jesse, who look solemn and somewhat proud of both of his boys. This was their chance to get things going in the right direction toward a reconciliation.

"I'm not seeing Cassie anymore, after she leaves the hospital. I'll make sure she gets out and has somebody to take to where she needs to go whether it's to a police station or back home. It's the least I can do for her. If she wouldn't have taken the bullet for me, then you might not have been so lucky."

He nodded slowly, "I plan on doing everything I can on the farm, so that Uncle Jesse and Daisy can help you during the day, then when I'm done I'm going to spend some time with ya. We'll have to get ya back up on your feet, Bo. Now, I ain't one to drive the General cause that driver's side window gives me some grief."

A light smile touched his face, "Plus, wait until word gets out that you're awake. I know every available woman in Hazzard gonna be up here to see you."

Bo smiled a little at Luke's words, pleased that it was starting to sound like the Luke he had missed for years again. Just like Jesse and Daisy had though, he couldn't help - no matter how much he disliked Cassie now - but feel just a little bit guilty that he had split them apart because of his own fears and his own want to have his cousin back. He knew it was selfish and also that Luke was happy with Cassie and visa versa...

"M...M'sorry Luke..."

Luke interjected almost immediately, "No Bo, there's nothing you should be sorry about. I'm the one that should be sorry. Because of my mess, look at what happened to you."

Putting up a strong front, Luke had fought past his desires and convinced himself that nothing was more important than his family. That process was the hardest thing that Luke ever had to do. In some ways, it was harder than any fighting his did in the Marines. Sometimes Luke's nostalgia for those long, hot days overseas was overbearing, especially in times like these.

"I was stupid, Cous," Luke found himself grinning a little. "I know you've longed to hear those words." A part of Luke wanted to kid with Bo, but a part of him just wanted someone else to take over the conversation.

Bo bit his lip gently as Luke cut him off and went on another ramble, an obvious thoughtful but defeated look in his eyes. It wasn't hard for Bo to see a front when Luke was putting one on, and this one was so blindingly obvious that it actually hurt just a little to see it...by trying to protect Luke and make him see what Cassie had done and was endangering all of them in...had he actually hurt Luke so bad that now he was lying about how he felt. He may realize that family was more important...but there was a stark difference between what your head would tell you and what your heart always would.

Swallowing gently he turned his head away softly as a lone tear dribbled its was down his cheek...he was sick of this...sick of everything to do with Cassie Morgan and the life she had brought along with her. Everyone so desperatly wanted things to be back the way they were but...how could they be...when all these thoughts would always be swirling in Bo's head and to be sure that Luke wouldn't be forgetting about her anytime soon either. Even though he would try and deny it.

Daisy sighed softly, stepping in as she saw the tear make its way down Bo's cheek and crossed over to him. Gently she wiped the tear away and ran a hand through his blonde curls gently.

"Honey, your going through a rough time right now...you look like your tired some...why dont you get some proper rest now okay...there'll be pleanty of time for talking..."

Luke's desire to speak to anyone had diminished. What had he done to himself? He'd heard Bo try to apologize, but he didn't want to listen to an apology. No one had to be sorry. Somehow sorry wasn't good enough in this situation.

"Yeah, get some rest.."

Without another word, Luke got up and walked slowly out of Bo's room. Before anyone could see which way he had went, he'd made his way right out of the hospital. He figured that everyone would've assumed he went to Cassie's room. Being that their assumption would not be the case, he hopped in the driver's side of the General Lee. For a long moment, Luke just sat there.

He knew where he was going.

Jesse sighed as he watched Luke leave the room and Daisy deal with Bo, who now had more tears running down his face from emotion that Jesse thought maybe he was just to weary to hold back anymore. He couldn't blame the boy for being scared...upset....angry even if he wanted to be. There had been a lot of things going on recently and everything was still so up in the air....but nothing was odder than Luke's strange behaviour.

Wanting to find Luke, seeing that Daisy had Bo almost settled down as she spoke reassuringly to him, Jesse slipped out the room quietly and headed out the doorway. Little did Luke know though, that Jesse understood Luke better than anyone most of the time and the first thing he knew Luke would not do was go to Cassie with the situation like this. Instead, he walked to the window and looked into the parking lot to see if he could spot the General.

After wondering where his life was going to go from here, Luke shook his head to himself. As he sat there thinking and contemplating how exactly his life would turn out from here, his mind might as well have been put on auto-pilot. He wasn't exactly thinking straight and more or less just wanted not to have to deal with this.

Sighing, Luke cranked the General Lee; it's engine roared. Finally, a sound loud enough to drown out the world.

Jesse sighed too as the General roared to life, not even going to attempt to get down the stairs before his nephew could get out the parking lot. There was no point...Luke would be long gone before he even reached the end of the hallway.

Closing his eyes, he not only prayed to his lord...but also prayed to the General to keep his eldest boy safe from harm and to help him work out his own head. Sometimes that car had more of a calming, miricle working effect than any human being could on both his boys whilst ensuring that they got to the place they needed to safely. He was a part of the family himself and boy had he earnt his right to be. Jesse just hoped that once again the General could work whatever magic it seemed to have woven inside its nuts and bolts and help bring his family back together.

Revving the engine, Luke unleashed the General in a fit of raging dust out of the hospital parking lot. In that car, he was flying; finally, he was free. The speed provided an adrenaline rush for him, but one that would not last. The eruption of squealing tires echoed throughout the hospital. Luke Duke had left the building.

Cassie was halfway asleep, when the noise awakened her. It seemed as if there would've been more insulation in the walls of such a prestigious place. Yet, any and all patients were aware of some hostility being released just outside the medical prison.

"Nurse?!"

A nurse that had been walking by poked her head in the room, "Yes?"

Cassie looked curious, "What was that?"

"Oh that," she paused, "One of Mr. Duke's visitors tore out of here."

Knowing exactly who it was, Cassie thanked the nurse and pressed herself back into her pillows. God, what she wouldn't give to take it all back.

Bo closed his eyes and huddled into Daisy as much as he could as she sat next to him on the bed, clinging to her softly as he began to fall into a sleep that should he not have been drugged up to his eyeballs he would not have fallen into.

Jesse watched the blur of orange speed away from the hospital, shaking his head softly and whispering a soft plea that Luke would never hear.

"Come back to me son...wherever you are..."

The drive consumed Luke, which calmed his anxious mind. Inside he had almost felt lost, but he couldn't bring himself to admit it. He was so happy that Bo was alright, but he just wanted to set things straight; he just wanted Bo to know that he didn't have to be sorry. Where had Luke went wrong? What was so bad about him trying to put up a strong front for everyone? They'd expected him to do for so many years with no complaint.

Sliding around the curves of Hazzard, the country was refreshing. The dust kicked up behind the General Lee. Before Luke knew it, he had brought the General to a halt outside of the Boarsnest. It did torture Luke a bit to be there, but he shook his head and let go of those feelings. As he crawled out of the General Lee, Luke walked inside and found himself sitting at the bar. It was his stool, and the bartender already knew why he was there.

"Ted, can I get a beer?"

As the door opened, Ted looked up as he always did. With Boss Hogg running the county, he knew the importance of noticing who came in and what went on as much as the next person. Raising his eyebrows as he saw Luke enter, he had already started pouring the beer before Luke had even sat down.

Sliding the drink across to him as the bar stool was occupied, he nodded a little to Luke's question but replied with a serious look.

"S'long as its only one or two..."

Luke merely nodded, but couldn't make any promises. The Boarsnest was his haven and he was going to make of it what he could. Melodies of country music's best played in the background and the southern twang rang over the patrons' conversations. Any and all background noise was easily ignored by Luke. Finally, he's been able to get away from the world and sink back into his own.

Picking up the glass, he raised it to his lips and took a satisfying long drink. A man could drown his sorrows, but Luke could drown 'em with the best of 'em. Hazzard knew that he wasn't a drunk, but they also knew if they saw him there that something awful must've went on. Gossip had already carried through the Boarsnest, when he entered. Everyone had heard when Cassie had arrived, and now everyone knew what happened to her and Bo. Some bad mouthed her, while others saw the hero in her. It was just a matter of taste. The currency of her reputation had devalued in most's eyes. Luke, on the other hand, just shrugged and brushed all those accusations off.

He knew before long that the beer glass would be empty, and then it would be time for him to order another.

At the hospital, Daisy had left Bo's room after he had fell into a solid slumber. She was almost worried that Uncle Jesse hadn't came back yet, and was more worried after hearing the commotion outside. "Uncle Jesse?" she called softly as she was standing in the hallway. In her mind, they could've been anyway, but she never ruled out Luke going to talk to Cassie. The chances were slim that he might, but he could've easily went to her with this. So, if Jesse had exited that woman's room at Daisy's beckoning, then that would be of no surprise to her.

Daisy turned and hurried toward her uncle, "Is everything thing alright, Uncle Jesse? Was that Luke causing all the ruckus?"

Daisy couldn't remember a time when she felt more worried about everything. Being a woman, sometimes her worries carried on more than they had to about any one thing, but this was a feeling consumed by everything.

Jesse nodded a little, gazing back out the window purely because it gave him something different and more peaceful to look at. The fact there were other people leaving the hospital with everything right as rain...people outside casually having a chat...people just coming and going as they pleased. Everything looked calm compared to the storm that was going on in his own life and for a moment he wished that it would all just disappear and magically be okay again. More than anything, he wished that his wife were with them...her touch always had seemed to smooth everything back to how they used to be. It was times like this that he missed her most dearly.

"Yes it was him...he flew out here like a chicken with his tail feathers on fire..."

After a moments pause he stood up properly and offered his arm to her.

"How bout we go walk in the garden..."

Daisy gratefully accepted his arm, "Sure let's go.."

A walk would allow Daisy to clear her mind a little and by having her uncle there for comfort, she could reach a peace that would allow her to offer what comfort she could to her cousins, her brothers. Never did Daisy want to end up like Luke. The Boarsnest was a dark place, and Daisy knew that better than anyone. She'd seen so many people come in and out of there. They mostly left with more problems than they came in with. Uncle Jesse didn't have to say where he thought Luke was going because they already knew that's where he'd go.

"Uncle Jesse, what do you think about everything? Do you think it boils down to it being about a girl?"

Jesse sighed as they walked, it had been a question that he had been milling over for some time.

"No...I think its what it started with...and Bo's desire to protect Luke from any harm. I can see where Bo's come from...the fact that the type of people Cassie is caught up in now and with Luke still on probation...its neither safe nor practical for them to be together really...Luke is in the police's eyes enough without adding to it..."

There wasn't a lot that Daisy could say because she did agree with what her uncle had answered with. She wanted to defend Luke, but she couldn't because she too could see where Bo was coming from.

"Luke told me.. a while back, when he first saw Cassie in town. I asked him how he felt and he said that he felt like he was alive again." She paused, "Now that tore me up Uncle Jesse. I never thought of Luke as being that type of person."

Daisy tried to smile just to keep Jesse's spirits up. "He also told me that Cassie wasn't involved with those people.. that all she had to deal with was her addiction. He thought with all his heart that she was ready.. It looks like circumstance just got 'em both."

Jesse nodded a little.

"I didn't say she was involved with those people Daisy, I said she was caught up with them. She might try and escape them but we know from experience they don't give up so easy...eventually they come back until they can't come back no more. I don't think that past will ever really be able to be escaped from by Cassie...and right now its not something we can deal with. When his probation's gone and he's free to do what he wants in life...maybe then they can work something out without all this rukus."