Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke watches the time then removes the thermometer reading it with a frown Bo's fever isn't up high enough to cause chills although it is beginning to creep up again. Resuming his spot in the bed Luke wraps his arms around Bo pulling his cousin close and rubbing briskly up and down Bo's arms in an attempt to get his young cousin warm.

Luke holds Bo just a little tighter kissing the top of Bo's head as the phone rings

"God only knows how I wish I knew Bo.......If I knew what was happening I'd find a way to stop it."

Jesse answers the phone surprised at the voice on the other end,he hadn't expected the Doc Appleby to call so soon. Listening as the doctor tells him of his findings Jesse sinks down into a chair,his forehead creasing with worry and fear the more the doctor says. When the doctor is finished Jesse bids him goodbye with a promise from his old friend that he'll be back to stay again that night.

Sitting for a moment after hanging up the phone trying to decide best how to the rest of the family what is wrong with Bo and fearing how Bo may take the news.

Luke lays there against the headboard holding Bo tightly trying to give them both comfort as he wonders who was on the phone. Bo no longer felt overly warm to the touch but chilled like a corpse........Luke shudders berating himself for comparing Bo to a corpse he is still very much alive.

Jesse listens not hearing any sound coming from the boys room he goes back to the kitchen,finishing up the dishes all the while telling himself he's being a coward for avoiding telling Bo what the doctor had just told him. He silently prays for the right words to say when he talks to his 'kids' as he washes,dries and puts the dishes away mechanically.

Luke started to worry as Bo remained quiet you just never knew what depressing thoughts was running through his mind when he got this quiet.

Jesse put away the last fork and walked down the hall with a heavy heart feeling every one of his years knocking on the door not waiting for an answer he walks in sitting on the edge of the bed placing his arm so it falls across Bo and his hand is resting on Luke's shoulder.

"That was Amos on the phone."

Smoothing back the hair away from Bo's face before running his hand gently down Bo's cheek

"He called that doctor in Atlanta and got the results on the syring that Luke took in and it was the same as the blood sample......You've got malaria...but Doc says it can be treated with antibiotics although since it wasn't caught earlier you's may hafta go back to the hospital for IV antibiotics instead of takin' em' by mouth."

Luke watches Bo purposely keeping his own feelings of anger at bay,they didn't have malaria carrying mosquitos in Hazzard. Malaria was only something you got in the swamps and those jackasses had injected Bo with it.

Bo sniffs and blinks a couple of times, still shivering, his mouth opening and closing but unable to form any words. Maleria....people died from that....people DIED from having that....and they hadn't caught it straight away either....that was even worse...

Tears slipped gently down his cheeks....he didn't want to go back into hospital...but then again he didn't want to die either....

Jesse gently pulls Bo out of Luke's hold into his own,holding Bo tightly against him as he rubs soothing circles on Bo's back

"Shhhh it's gonna be ok now Bo we know what's wrong we can fight it and you'll get well"

Luke sits up laying a hand on Bo's shoulder squeezing it reassuringly

"Uncle Jesse's right Bo.....it's all going to be ok now"

Luke's heart skips a beat at Bo's tearful admission taking on that tone that you can't help but believe Luke tells Bo

"No your not dyin' you hear me Bo Duke don't you dare give yourself up for dead we're gonna fight this"

Jesse pulls Bo away from him gently to look into the tearful blue eyes with a slight nod and a determined look of his own

"Luke's right we're gonna fight for ya I ain't ready to give ya up and I ain't about to without one heckuva fight"

thinks then if the Lord Almighty wants Bo home with him then so be it but he's not going to let it happen without a fight

Luke looks at Uncle Jesse worriedly as Bo violently shakes again with chills silently asking what do they do now. It's obvious his own body heat isn't keeping Bo warm anymore.

Jesse realizes Bo is still clad in just his boxers pulling slightly away from Bo to look him in the eye once more Jesse wipes away the falling tears only to be replaced by more.

"Bo we's got ta get you warm.......Luke's gonna get ya some clothes and I'm gonna go get ya a hot cup of coffee to warm ya from the inside out ok."

Jesse

Jesse gets up off the bed relinquishing Bo to Luke's capable hands. Going out of the room and down the hall wiping away a tear that escaped as the despondant look on Bo's face stays in his head. Entering the kitchen Jesse sits down with a heavy sigh giving the boys time to get Bo into something warm and no doubt have a talk.

Luke holds Bo close letting him cry for a few moments before looking down into his 'brother's face seeing the wheels turning there even though Bo is crying

"Alright Bo what's going through that head of yours?..........I knows ya scared probably more scared than you've ever been in your life. But it's really gonna be ok ya gotta believe that if you just stop having any hope you aren't gonna get better."

Luke gulps as he prepares to ask the most difficult question he's ever asked Bo hoping to make him realize there's so much left in his life and that he really wants to see what the future will bring.

"Ya don't really wanna die do ya Bo?"

Bo looked tearfully up at Luke, blinking rapidly to try and clear some of the tears that nestled in the bottom of his eyes.

"I....I don't know....a part of me doesn't....but right now ii'm thinkin'....that death would be a lot eaisier than this....and what if somethin' goes wrong Luke....."

Bo swallowed. He had learned a lot about diseases in school, unfortunatly, he rememebered most of the graphic ones.

"If it gets....to bad....my organs....might fail....what if my kidneys fail and....I have to be on Dialisis for the rest of my life....or my muscles get damages and I can never walk again....so many things can go wrong Luke....its the easist way out...."

Luke gently but firmly cups Bo's chin in his hand determined blue eyes locking with frightened blue eyes.

"Beaureguard James Duke.......I won't stand for you talkin that way got me! You don't know anymore than I do what they's can do for ya there's been alot of new medicines and procedures come up with in the last 20 years. Now the Bo I know wouldn't give up no matter what and I know somewhere deep down under all that fear he's still there raring to fight this. Bo I ain't gonna let you go through this alone I promise I'll be by your side every minute and I ain't never broke a promise!"

Bo shivered again in Luke's embrace but his eyes never left Luke's. He could see in his brothers a determination and spirit that he knew should be in his own, should be in his very soul to beat this thing.

But, like Luke said, the old Bo that everyone knew was indeed in him somewhere...it was just so tiring and also painful to bring him back...he wanted to now though, after everything Luke had just said to him...he couldn't help but believe in what his cousin was saying.

With that, he looked down slightly before looking back up at him, jaw now clenched tightly, despite his shivering, and the flash of determination now spingboarded back into his own eyes. He smiled slightly at Luke through the chattering of his teeth and nodded.

Luke grins as he sees determination flashing in Bo's eyes when he looks back up,with a gentle pat to Bo's cheek

"Now that's the Bo I know and love the one who may be scared to death but nobody'd ever know it but the people closest to him.........let's get you warmed up"

he gets up off the bed gathering some warm winter clothes for Bo,soon having him bundled up in long johns,flannel shirt,and jeans.

Bo's shivering subsided a little as Luke bundled him in all the clothes, although a small tremble still remained and the cold stutter was still evident, but Bo was starting to feel a little stronger, strong enough that he slowly managed to push himself up to lean against the headboard again, leaning back against it.