Where was the Dukes of Hazzard shot?

Howdy!

The first five episodes were shot in Georgia, with footage bein' filmed in Covington and Conyers, which were small towns about 35 miles southeast of Atlanta, give r' take.

The first jump that is used in the opening credits was filmed in Covington, smack-dab in the town square. The chase/jump in "One Armed Bandits" that shows a hill and railroad tracks was also filmed in Covington.

The original Boar's Nest is located somewhere between Covington and Conyers. The building still stands, though it was in disrepair last I'd seen, and has been vacant for several years. Once a real tavern, it changed ownership a few times. On occassion, a couple of Dukes fan clubs have rented it out for their shindigs.

Uncle Jesse's farm, the original Sheriff's department, the junkyard, and the store seen in "Mary Kaye's Baby" were all genuine places. The dirt roads and highways used in the chase scenes of those early eps were real roads in Newton County, GA.

When the show moved to CA, Warner Bros created sets in the Burbank studio lots. The backroads in the chase scenes were then filmed around Lake Sherwood CA, and also Valencia CA.

There ya go! And welcome to HazzardNet, Richie.

Brian

Daney

Thanks very much for the link..Great site..I love seeing how little is changed in over 25 years....I bookmarked it now..

There is another one I had bookmarked too..

http://www.jonhollandakaboduke.com/introduction.html (Edited by Mufn. Link no longer has Dukes content. Jon must have let registration lapse.)

it is very similar, probably uses the same photos too..

tell me what you think of that one....

Darrell

Sure, but a dude named David Hofstede beat me to it. Heh heh. In the Credit where Credit is due, department.....David referenced the CA and some of the GA filming locations in his book, "The Dukes of Hazzard: The Unofficial Companion." To be fair to myself, the GA filming locations were known to me well before the book came out, thanks to a trip to Covington some years ago, and the local folks who remembered the filming.

A sweet lady who ran the Covington Floral Shop told me stories about the filming and area locations. Inside her floral shop, she had a small museum of Dukes and "The Heat of the Night" momentos. (the latter program also had footage shot in Covington).

I use the past tense, as I don't know whether the floral shop is still in business, or ran by the same proprietor. I can't remember her name, except that there was "Jo" somewhere in it. Mary Jo? At any rate, she was an absolute sweetheart, and I'll never be able to thank her enough for her time and her first-hand accounts. Covington has seen it's share of Dukes fans converge on it for one shindig or another - and great people like her, are why fans make the pilgrimage to GA.

Brian..

Did you take pictures like the ones in websites that were posted? I am sure you did....I loved seeing the pics on those websites see how little has changed, except the Boar's Nest..It reminds me of when I was a little kid in the 70's, I am only 34 lol, visiting family in NC. When I was last there last year looking at pictures and showing my kids and them saying not much has changed in the town my family is in....

Well enough of my rambling....

Darrell

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Daney

Thanks very much for the link..Great site..I love seeing how little is changed in over 25 years....I bookmarked it now..

There is another one I had bookmarked too..

http://www.jonhollandakaboduke.com/introduction.html

it is very similar, probably uses the same photos too..

tell me what you think of that one....

Darrell

Thank you alot that helps alot.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I joined to say that I have been watching the Dukes on CMT. I noticed while watching the first few episodes that I kept seeing shots that were filmed on a backroad I take to work each day. I searched further and found the ranch where most of the dirt road scenes were shot is about 5 miles from my house (Disneys Golden Oak Ranch).

Although it's a private ranch and not open to the public the main road where many scenes were shot runs along side of it. I just started getting a few screen captures and then attempting to take a picture as close as I can to the screen capture. It has been about 20 years so things have changed but you can still tell it's the same place. I have many more sitting on my Tivo wating to be captured but I thought you might get a kick out of it.

http://photo.tophersworld.com/gallery_onlocation.htm

Hey Brian.

I know exactly who you're talking about. Her name is Jo. But for reasons unknown, her last name has left my memory. I remember I used to chat with her the few times I visited the flower shop and when I attended the Dukes of Hazzard fan club's get together in Covington back in 1999. Man it was scalding hot with a nasty drought. I've heard that she sold the flower shop and I'm not sure what's she's doing now. It's been years since I last saw her.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man