Rolling Stone mag review - not good at all.....

After reafdng their review online , I have decided not to renew my subscription. This is the worst review I have ever reaf....Rolling Stone can kiss my butt......

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/_/id/6823644?rssfeed=moviereviews&rnd=1123200200984&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.872

The Dukes of Hazzard

Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott, Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds, Willie Nelson

Directed by Jay Chandrasekhar

2005 All Movies

Rated PG-13

There's a stink coming off the big-screen Dukes of Hazzard that even fans of the TV series (1979 to 1985) won't be able to shake out of their nostrils. With Bo Duke (Seann William Scott) and his Georgia cousin Luke Duke (Johnny Knoxville) behind the wheel of the General Lee, that orange-colored 1969 Dodge Charger still flies. Everything else lands with a thud. I have no problems with the jokes being lowbrow and moronic. Hey, it's still summer. But the film oozes the desperation of people sweating hard to create the illusion that if you yell "yee-haw" long enough you'll have a good time. It's not happening.

The big news is the casting of pop princess Jessica Simpson as sexpot cousin Daisy Duke (Catherine Bach created the role for TV). Simpson had never acted in a movie before squeezing into Daisy's short-shorts. As far as I'm concerned, her record is clean. Simpson's body is unimpeachable, but her thespian talent is still undiscovered country. It's as if director Jay Chandrasekhar (Super Troopers) told her to treat her performance like a photo shoot: Turn. Smile. Pout. Primp. Her stiff line delivery could be a reaction to John O'Brien's labored, laugh-free script. Let Meryl Streep try to get a redneck to fix her car by sticking out her boobs and saying, all flirty-like, "I think something bounced up into my undercarriage."

Simpson's star billing is misleading. She merely visits the movie from time to time, letting the camera photograph her like a prize heifer. The heavy lifting falls to the boys. Scott does his Stifler thing, and Knoxville does his Jackass thing. Nothing there to erase the memory of the TV Bo (John Schneider) and the TV Luke (Tom Wopat). For Schneider, who has a gig on Smallville, and Wopat, who is a strong stage actor (Glengarry Glen Ross), Hazzard hasn't been a career hazard. Scott and Knoxville, who expend their energy climbing in and out of the General Lee, should be so lucky.

The other actors must fight over the script's slim pickings. As Boss Hogg, Burt Reynolds carries what passes for a plot. Hogg uses the auto race that ends the film as a decoy to win court permission to strip-mine Hazzard County and steal the farm where Uncle Jesse Duke (Willie Nelson) makes his moonshine. Nelson shuffles through the movie cracking jokes: "What do you call a hillbilly carrying a sheep under each arm?" Answer: "A playboy."

As Dukes drags to a close, you might ask yourself how many car chases you can watch before your eyes glaze over. At one point, the film's narrator says, "If you have to go to the bathroom, now would be the wrong time." I beg to differ. There is no wrong time to flush this turd. The only bright spot comes during the outtakes over the final credits. Suddenly, the actors seem loose, Simpson's smile is warm and natural, and we watch the stunt drivers ply their trade like kids with the world's best toys. For a few minutes, the movie flickers with a party spirit. It's too little and too late.

PETER TRAVERS

(Posted Aug 04, 2005)

After reafdng their review online , I have decided not to renew my subscription. This is the worst review I have ever reaf....Rolling Stone can kiss my butt......

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/_/id/6823644?rssfeed=moviereviews&rnd=1123200200984&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.872

The Dukes of Hazzard

Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott, Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds, Willie Nelson

Directed by Jay Chandrasekhar

2005 All Movies

Rated PG-13

There's a stink coming off the big-screen Dukes of Hazzard that even fans of the TV series (1979 to 1985) won't be able to shake out of their nostrils. With Bo Duke (Seann William Scott) and his Georgia cousin Luke Duke (Johnny Knoxville) behind the wheel of the General Lee, that orange-colored 1969 Dodge Charger still flies. Everything else lands with a thud. I have no problems with the jokes being lowbrow and moronic. Hey, it's still summer. But the film oozes the desperation of people sweating hard to create the illusion that if you yell "yee-haw" long enough you'll have a good time. It's not happening.

The big news is the casting of pop princess Jessica Simpson as sexpot cousin Daisy Duke (Catherine Bach created the role for TV). Simpson had never acted in a movie before squeezing into Daisy's short-shorts. As far as I'm concerned, her record is clean. Simpson's body is unimpeachable, but her thespian talent is still undiscovered country. It's as if director Jay Chandrasekhar (Super Troopers) told her to treat her performance like a photo shoot: Turn. Smile. Pout. Primp. Her stiff line delivery could be a reaction to John O'Brien's labored, laugh-free script. Let Meryl Streep try to get a redneck to fix her car by sticking out her boobs and saying, all flirty-like, "I think something bounced up into my undercarriage."

Simpson's star billing is misleading. She merely visits the movie from time to time, letting the camera photograph her like a prize heifer. The heavy lifting falls to the boys. Scott does his Stifler thing, and Knoxville does his Jackass thing. Nothing there to erase the memory of the TV Bo (John Schneider) and the TV Luke (Tom Wopat). For Schneider, who has a gig on Smallville, and Wopat, who is a strong stage actor (Glengarry Glen Ross), Hazzard hasn't been a career hazard. Scott and Knoxville, who expend their energy climbing in and out of the General Lee, should be so lucky.

The other actors must fight over the script's slim pickings. As Boss Hogg, Burt Reynolds carries what passes for a plot. Hogg uses the auto race that ends the film as a decoy to win court permission to strip-mine Hazzard County and steal the farm where Uncle Jesse Duke (Willie Nelson) makes his moonshine. Nelson shuffles through the movie cracking jokes: "What do you call a hillbilly carrying a sheep under each arm?" Answer: "A playboy."

As Dukes drags to a close, you might ask yourself how many car chases you can watch before your eyes glaze over. At one point, the film's narrator says, "If you have to go to the bathroom, now would be the wrong time." I beg to differ. There is no wrong time to flush this turd. The only bright spot comes during the outtakes over the final credits. Suddenly, the actors seem loose, Simpson's smile is warm and natural, and we watch the stunt drivers ply their trade like kids with the world's best toys. For a few minutes, the movie flickers with a party spirit. It's too little and too late.

PETER TRAVERS

(Posted Aug 04, 2005)

the movie isnt really meant for the new york times or the rolling stone readers. They seem to enjoy more of a high brow artist movie. Well the problem is, once you leave los angeles, and new york city there is this big wide part of america, you know most of the population that will listen to their whining. Well this part of america, could really careless about artsy fartsy film projects about penguins, expolitation of the hoot owl in the middle east, buying 3000.00 watches, having lunch with p diddy, or paying 100.00 for a leaf of lettuce and having them call it salad. So maybe the critics should just shut up, because for once there is a movie for us.

the movie isnt really meant for the new york times or the rolling stone readers. They seem to enjoy more of a high brow artist movie. Well the problem is, once you leave los angeles, and new york city there is this big wide part of america, you know most of the population that will listen to their whining. Well this part of america, could really careless about artsy fartsy film projects about penguins, expolitation of the hoot owl in the middle east, buying 3000.00 watches, having lunch with p diddy, or paying 100.00 for a leaf of lettuce and having them call it salad. So maybe the critics should just shut up, because for once there is a movie for us.

Once again, just ONE mans opinion on the flick. the rest of the world could love it. when the Dukes First premiered on CBS many years back it was said then that it would not last by many if not all critics. but sh!t, look at them now! the dukes is one of americas biggest icons of the 1900's!

once again i say to the hell with critics, they can keep on hating things and get paid for it. :roll: the fans are the Real judges here.

im gone.

-Brad

Once again, just ONE mans opinion on the flick. the rest of the world could love it. when the Dukes First premiered on CBS many years back it was said then that it would not last by many if not all critics. but sh!t, look at them now! the dukes is one of americas biggest icons of the 1900's!

once again i say to the hell with critics, they can keep on hating things and get paid for it. :roll: the fans are the Real judges here.

im gone.

-Brad

im gone.

-Brad

EXACTLY...........To Hell with the dang critics. We are the ones who will be the judge of this movie.

I still can't believe that was actually published. That writer might not have gotten a General Lee or a Dukes toy when he was a kid and still holds a grudge. Then again he might not get the basics of the show either. Damn fool...

I'm gone

Darrell

im gone.

-Brad

EXACTLY...........To Hell with the dang critics. We are the ones who will be the judge of this movie.

I still can't believe that was actually published. That writer might not have gotten a General Lee or a Dukes toy when he was a kid and still holds a grudge. Then again he might not get the basics of the show either. Damn fool...

I'm gone

Darrell