New users - How do I get an avatar?

MaryAnne

How do I put a picture with my username?

To set up a picture that appears with your username on the left hand side of the screen (known as an avatar), do the following:

At the top of the forums page, click on profile. This will put you into your profile to edit. Down at the bottom you'll find the avatar thing. Currently, HNet does not have onsite avatars to choose from, you'll have to use a pic that is hosted offsite somewhere (such as photobucket).

Type in the URL for the image(http://www.photobucket/somefolder/lotsapics/avatarforhnet.jpg)

The program specs state that the avatar can't be more than 80X80 pixels and can't be more than 6KB. Unfortunately a lot of our users totally blow off this rule. (Geez, guys! LOL). So, we're not gonna come down on ya too hard for a big pic, but if it's excessively huge, you will be ticketed. LOL

Also....no dirty pics eh? Uncle Jesse would be plum upset with ya. (And I'd have to arrest ya for indecent exposure LOL)

MaryAnne

• 4 months later...

The method of setting your avatar has changed. After you login, choose UserCP->Edit Avatar and put the URL to your avatar or upload your avatar.

I would suggest hosting your avatar remotely on Photobucket or a similar service cuz you never know if we'll accidentally delete the avatar folder. Things have been known to spontaneously combust around here. Just ask MaryAnne. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Go to "User CP" on the upper left of the orange link bar.

Click on "Edit Avatar" in the left hand column.

Click "Use Custom Avatar".

Then either enter the URL address for the image you want to use or upload it. Please remember the image has to fit within 150X150 size and can not be larger than 19.5KB

Ummm..okay... are you making sure it's an image file (.jpg, .gif), it's of the demensions required and no bigger than the maxium file size allowed?

I've discovered that even if the demenions are right, but the file size is too big, it'll reject. I've also discovered that if you have an image hosted off site and the file size is too big it rejects. (What the hell's up with that?)

So the image HAS to be 150X150 or less and no bigger than 19.5KB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Honest to God MaryAnne. All I saw was the little box at the top with the 'do not use avatar' thingie that I can't seem to deselect.

Is there anyway someone could post an avatar for me?

Okay, nevermind any of that stuff up there. I had something disabled on my lappie and now it's fixed. See my avatar? Isn't it preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety?

Edited by artykidd

Honest to God MaryAnne. All I saw was the little box at the top with the 'do not use avatar' thingie that I can't seem to deselect.

Is there anyway someone could post an avatar for me?

Okay, nevermind any of that stuff up there. I had something disabled on my lappie and now it's fixed. See my avatar? Isn't it preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety?

Yay! :) Yes, it is pretty!

• 2 weeks later...