Who's Gonna Fill their shoes

georgiagal1

Ok, I know this is going to sound really dumb but Im still gonna ask. I have been listening to this song and trying to figure out who all the people are hes talking about lol. So can somebody help me! Like who is "the outlaw that walks through Jesse's dream" is that Waylon? The red-headed stranger is Willie right?? Man in black is of course Johnny Cash. The Okie from Muskogee is Merle Haggard (not really sure)? Hello Darling is Conway. Who are the boys from Memphis? Who plays the wallbash cannonball...heck what is the wallbash cannonball? and whos Marty and Lefty? Sorry its soo long Im just curious :D

I'm taking a guess, as I don't know the song but I've heard the references before....

I would have no doubt that the outlaw in the dream is Waylon.

Yes, the red headed stranger is Willie.

The man in black in Cash.

The Okie from Muskogee is Merle.

Marty and Lefty....I think they're referrin' to Marty Robbins and Lefty Frizzel.

I have no clue who the boys from Memphis are... Unless they're referrin' to other Sun Records singers like Elvis, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis.

I have NO idea what the wallbash cannonball is! LOL

MA, Luke & Georgia,

Your exactly right Luke, Wabash Cannonball was a train. For some odd reason ya'll struck my curiosity and I went and did some research on the net about this train.

The first thing I found when I went looking for info was this lil song about it. Some what catchy really and it tells ya about where the train went and so forth. But even better, if you read below the song it tells who constructed the train and what it took to build in the rail for her. And if in fact ya keep reading you come to realize that the train is make believe, or so the website tells. Heh.

http://ingeb.org/songs/wabashca.html

Now let me tell you when curosity strikes me Im bound and determind to get the bottom of it all. So heres the real story behind the Wabash Cannon Ball.

It turns out that there was a real train named The Wabash Cannonball, which was what the Wabash Railroad named its express. But it did not exist until many decades after its legend had begun. The Wabash Cannonball song "probably" originated around 1862 and was brought on patrioctically by the Homestead Act. Its title and lyrics have varried since then.

Amazinly it took over sixty years for the song to be comerialized. It was recoreded by the Carter Family in 1972 for RCA records. Properly titled "The Wabash Cannon ball." The song was an instant hit, then and again for Roy Acuff nine years later. Acuff's version sold a whopping 5 million-plus copies. Acuff properly gave the Carter Family credit for the song even though his lyrics and other artists lyrics varied over the years.

You can read this story, more information and the varried lyrics at the website below.

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.htm?/~acsa/songfile/WABASH.HTM

I hope that I have been of some help. And thank you, all three of your for striking a bit of curiosity in me. It was a fun adventure through time to find out more about "The Wabash Cannonball."

Happy Trails ya'll.

~Chet Duke

• 1 month later...