Was Tom a Geek in School

I'm just Curious but was Tom a Geek in his School Days ? cause he wore Glasses , Contacts when he was a little boy , Teenager , and a Young Man.

Cause he always has to wear Glasses , Contacts even when he was on the Dukes. :-?:oops:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks, I don't always check much beyond fanfics!

MaryAnne, I would like to back you up. I also wear glasses, as do most of my friends at school! I heard somewhere that believe it or not, about 1/4 to 1/2 of the population in the United States wears glasses. My eye problems were hereditary. Geekieness is NOT hereditary. Geekieness is HOW ONE ACTS not how they look.

Kitty, please, do yourself a favor ... don't steriotype. It's not always healthy, like in cases like this. (steriotype the wrong person and you can get into a bit of trouble). You might not notice how many people wear glasses because they might wear contacts, but trust me, a good portion of the pupulation does. If it's something for your safety, sometimes it can be good, but when and if it's meant to be insulting, it's a horrid thing. Another good example of hurtful steriotyping is people actually believing blonde jokes, and believing Blondes really are dumb! Being a blonde, I can prove that that one is also not true.

But a good, serious example is the song by johnny cash, what is truth... the part where the boy is on the witness stand.

"A young man sittin' on the witness stand

The man with a book says, "Raise your hand!

Repeat after me, I solemnly swear"

The judge looked down at his long hair

And although the young man solemnly swore

Nobody seemed to hear anymore

And it really didn't matter if the truth was there

It was the cut of his clothes and the length of his hair!

And the lonely voice of youth cries:

"What is truth?" "

Johnny Cash,

Verse to "What is Truth"

• 8 months later...

Did You know that Tom had to wear Contacts on Dukes on account of his eye sight is less then perfect he don't have 20/20 so i wonder if he could make it without wearing glasses or contacts in real life ?

Bahaha! Nicely put, MaryAnne.

Honestly, let's put this into perspective. Tom grew up on a dairy farm in WI, workin' his rear end off in all temperatures, through the heat of humid summers through bitter cold winters. I don't remember how many brothers he has, but he probably grew up learning how to fight at an early age as the result of some friendly family brawls. He also survived 2 years at the University of WI Madison, which is no place for the timid. Hell, the city of Madison alone is no place for the timid, and the university itself could be used to define the term, "rowdy".

There is no way in hell, let's make it clear, let's just put this to rest right now - that Tom was in any way, shape or form - a geek. His youth and young adulthood required a lot of physical, emotional and mental strength. Whether he had to wear glasses or contacts was immaterial; it didn't hold him back.

John, for that matter, was asthmatic and somewhat overweight as a kid. I'm sure he was teased and given a hard time by kids in school. It didn't hold him back, either. I'm sure that the girls who scorned John in grade school are now wishing they'd treated him a helluva lot better.

The moral of all this is: Nobody's perfect, everybody's got something to overcome or deal with - but successful people don't give in to it.

Brian

*Rising to feet, in a standing ovation, giving a hearty applause*

Bravo Brian! WELL said! You're absolutely right, you can't let other people's comments, innuendos or just plain lack of an open mind, get in the way of one's hopes and dreams.

You have to be strong and follow your dreams!

Thank you for putting it so eloquently! :)

Jax

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Bahaha! Nicely put, MaryAnne.

Honestly, let's put this into perspective. Tom grew up on a dairy farm in WI, workin' his rear end off in all temperatures, through the heat of humid summers through bitter cold winters. I don't remember how many brothers he has, but he probably grew up learning how to fight at an early age as the result of some friendly family brawls. He also survived 2 years at the University of WI Madison, which is no place for the timid. Hell, the city of Madison alone is no place for the timid, and the university itself could be used to define the term, "rowdy".

There is no way in hell, let's make it clear, let's just put this to rest right now - that Tom was in any way, shape or form - a geek. His youth and young adulthood required a lot of physical, emotional and mental strength. Whether he had to wear glasses or contacts was immaterial; it didn't hold him back.

John, for that matter, was asthmatic and somewhat overweight as a kid. I'm sure he was teased and given a hard time by kids in school. It didn't hold him back, either. I'm sure that the girls who scorned John in grade school are now wishing they'd treated him a helluva lot better.

The moral of all this is: Nobody's perfect, everybody's got something to overcome or deal with - but successful people don't give in to it.

Brian

Lol! I'd be willing to bet on that one!

• 3 weeks later...

I have worn glassess and contacts since Jr. High. I may have been a geek in some peoples book but I did everything in school from band to Girls State and Honor Society. The bunch i hung around with were considered snobs but there really was snobs in our class that we'd not associate with. We considered ourselves the 'Rebels' of the class. So I guess I fit in OK.

I am not blonde but I do have a brain -- though I didn't apply myself like my father may have wanted ( I had fun!) -- 54 th out of 204 was fine by me. I have enough credits for 2 years in college though I don't have the needed classes for a degree since I switched fields.

My parents died when I was 11 and 22. EVERYTHING I have I have because I earned it. Fair, square and legal. I have had two husbands and raised three children.

I have also worked myself into a position where I work where I'm 4th in command. Since the first of this year I have recieved a raise of $185 per month.

Kitty, if you or anyone else think I'm a geek then that's YOUR opinion. I agree with Mary Anne THERE IS NO WAY IN HE---!!!!! EITHER TOM WOPAT OR JOHN SCHNEIDER are or ever have been a GEEK! They have both came a long way from where they started and gotten there by hard work. Though DOH is still going strong NEITHER has set on their DUFF -- they both still continue to work.

Tom has worked from a dairy farm to Braodway. Baby if he can't make it in REAL life without the aid of contacts or glasses PLEASE send him MY NUMBER I"LL BE OK SO GLAD TO LEAD HIM ANYWHERE HE NEEDS TO GO!

Oh, and by the way if his eyes are SO BAD he couldn't wear contacts!!!

DIXIE

PS, I fell better now!

• 3 weeks later...

I Think Tom Is Hansom too and I always will Glasses or none I don't think of him as a Geek and I know he has come a long way it Ain't Personal I would never call him one in Real Life it was Just a Statement I Am Also A Big Fan !!!

For our two cents, Jam and I both wear glasses, although I wear contacts now. Not so much for looks, but because I have a bad habit of losing glasses. A guy friend of mine didn't wear glasses in high school, but started to in college and (in my opinion) looks incredible with or without!

I am proud to say that I was a geek in high school and was able to overcome being shy and pursue great things. I doubt there were a lot from my class who have travelled to seven foreign countries in less than five years. PPPBBBTTT!

• 2 weeks later...

I got harassed and called stupid when I was in school because I had to be in a special class for math. In fact, I was harassed so badly, my physical safety was in danger. Despite all the struggles because of my learning problems, I graduated from Jamestown Community College with an Associates Degree. I can't use it now because I am disabled with a bad back. But I nonetheless feel good about it because it was hard to attain. I am sure Tom would be proud of me for persevering. That thought also makes me feel good. My family is. :) 8)

I'm proud of you. I assist with special education classes and those kids get harassed a lot, but one of them was nice enough to get me an autographed picture of Cooter from an auto show!

One of the other teachers also has a disability and was told he would never be able to walk, but he walks now and gets onto those kids who think their disabilities will prevent them from doing great things.