DIY Tandem Bike

Hey y'all :)

My neighbours are moving to England in a month, and they were clearing out their garage today. As I was coming home from school I passed a dumpster outside their house, and saw a bike lying on top of a pile of junk. My family is good friends with theirs, but I asked them if I could have the bike before ai took it.

It wasn't in brilliant shape,it's slightly scraped and rusty, but the gears and brakes don't work.

804bd603.jpg

At this point in my life I've riden every type of bike there is (including a unicycle). Well every type with the exception of a tandem bike. For those who don't know what a tandem bike is it's a bike that two people can ride at the same time

639d249a.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't got access to a welder,so I'm planning on finding another bike,and mount it to the rear of this bike using the front wheel of the second bike as the mount between the two bikes. Obviously I'd have to drill holes in the rear bikes steering to prevent fishtailing.

CD, you're probably too young to remember a BBC (and later ITV) comedy show called 'The Goodies'. It was very popular when it aired through the '70s and early '80s (according to Wikipedia it was shown on syndication and PBS in the US around the same time), but sadly never gets re-runs. Anyway, the reason I bring them up is that there were three of them and they were famous for riding a trandem. Maybe you can try one of these if the tandem works out ok :).

Trandem.jpg

Like you, I've never ridden a tandem, but I did ride a quadracycle (aka. quadricycle) in about 1980. They were briefly popular for hourly rental at some British seaside resorts around that time. The one I rode didn't have the kids' seats at the front, but was otherwise very similar to this one:

719px-Red_DX_Surrey.jpg

Do you have enough bike parts to make one?.

719px-Red_DX_Surrey.jpg

Do you have enough bike parts to make one?.

Amazingly I rode one of these when I was in New York at Halloween. They handle like boats and the one we had weighed a ton,even without us on it.

I probably do have all the parts, but the only problems I have are I don't gave a welder to put it all together, and I haven't got anywhere to store it :(

You shouldn't have shown me that picture,because now I really want one :) haha

I found a second donor bike yesterday when i was walking my dog at a nearby river. It was missing most of the essentials,but I had replacement parts in the garage.

I started work after I had my dinner at 6,and managed to get the whole thing assembled and even managed a short cycle before 8 o clock. Unfortunately however it was already getting dark at 6 when I started,so I didn't bother taking pictures. I'll try and get a few tomorrow. There's still work do be done. For example it has two flat tires,no gears or brakes,and i want to swap the front bikes suspension forks with another set I have in school.

I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet,but I don't mind cycle around on a decrepit looking bike anyway.

I've got into the habit of naming my bikes,and this one is no exception. I'm going to call this one Allan Junior,in memory of the late Allan Wyatt,who's memorial service was held yesterday in Malibu.

Here in Australia there is an attachment like a 'trailer' for bikes to carry young children on the back. Just imagine your bike frame with only the goose neck, the top bar, the seat, & a bit of frame the the back (3rd) wheel. The trailer's gooseneck attached to the actual bikes seat pole. Sorry for the vague description, I hope you understand.

Brad

Sorry for the delay but here's a picture of the bike put together. It still needs brakes,gears,two new tires,two new saddles and a decent paintjob

ed593a67.jpg

By the way Hoss I've only ever seen those circle bikes (don't know the proper name for them) in playgrounds. Its a shame it never featured on the Dukes. Could you imagine Boss and Rosco trying to chase after Bo and Luke on that? Hahaha :D

As for the second picture, I saw one of them in New York,but instead of two seats the second seat was used to hold a guitar. I couldn't imagine it being very stable,it looks pretty top heavy.

I think you should head on over to Cooter's and see if he still has any leftover orange paint on his shelf.

Another General Lee Roger? I dunno I didn't have any specific paint plans for this bike. I don't want to go to all the trouble of a complicated paint job because it's going to be stored outside,exposed to the elements and the paint could end up getting damaged or ruined.

I was thinking of a simple cherry red paint job, maybe with silver handlebars and saddleposts.

How does that sound?