Cooter's Tow Truck

bobs69

Cooter had many different trucks throughout the seasons, and even the ones that were meant to be the same had variations. Here's some of them:

Brown 1969 Chevy Fleetside

Blue/white 1967 Ford F-350 Custom (this truck was also used as the Hazzard impound truck)

Yellow 1978/9 Ford F-350 Custom

Blue/white 1970 Chevrolet C-30

Blue/white 1968 GMC C-35

Around the second season he also had a couple of Chevy pickups.

It's getting late here, I'll try to get some screengrabs tomorrow.

Here's the screengrabs I promised.

Cooter's first tow truck was this brown 1969 Chevy. This picture is from 'Repo Men', but the truck first appeared in 'One Armed Bandits' (see inset) without the plank of wood. I don't think it was driven by Cooter in that episode.

TowTruck0104.jpg

The blue and white 1967 Ford gets used from around the middle of season 1. This picture is from 'Money to Burn'. The inset is the same truck as the impound truck from 'The Big Heist' a couple of episodes earlier.

TowTruck0111.jpg

For season 3 and the first half of season 4 Cooter drives this yellow late '70s Ford. It appears many times, this picture is from 'Good Neighbors, Duke'.

TowTruck0311.jpg

In the second half of season 4, Cooter reverts to blue and white trucks. The '67 Ford reappears in a couple of episodes, eg. 'Goodbye General Lee'. The Chevy below makes a few brief appearances, sometimes swapping places with the Ford mid-chase - this picture is from 'Cletus Fall in Love' where Cooter's truck is a Ford as it leaves town, a Chevy during the chase, a Ford as the chase concludes, and a Chevy as everyone gets out!. You can easily tell the difference; from the front the Ford has a very white grille, and from the rear the Chevy wrecker bed extends over the rear wheels.

TowTruck0412.jpg

By the end of season 4 Cooter is driving this 1968 GMC. The wrecker bed looks like the same as the one on the blue and white Ford (without the towing dolly). Maybe the Ford broke and needed replacing (like when Daisy went to a '71 Road Runner because the newer car was unreliable). This picture is from 'Miss Tri-Counties'.

TowTruck0424.jpg

As well as the tow trucks, Cooter had a few other trucks. This green 1968 Chevy appeared a few times, and I think it was also the truck used by LB Davenport. This picture is from 'Witness for the Persecution' where Boss spends much of the episode rolling around in the back.

Pickup0209.jpg

A couple of episodes later and Cooter has a blue 1969 Chevy for 'People's Choice'. Emery Potter's wedding takes place on the back of it. Surprisingly, the Chevy badge has been left on the hood. After the first few episodes most of the other vehicles have their badges removed or covered with tape.

Pickup0211.jpg

I'm not sure of the make and model of this truck that Cooter owned in 'Uncle Boss'. I think the sign on the side said 'Cooter's Garage' and 'Reliable Auto Repairs'. Cooter needed an enclosed truck for this episode because he used it hide Hughie Hogg's VW Beetle in the back.

CooterVan0307.jpg

Cooter also had a large variety of 'loaner' cars, but that's another story ...

You can find that info in our FAQ.

I should note that for some reason, Mufn, your post was held for moderation. I know you're still in the clink in that Hazzard Hoosegow thread but... ROFL

Anyway, we're in the process of updating that FAQ too with better screen grabs of various vehicles and more info on Cooter's many trucks. In fact, I spent a couple of days going through episodes to grab screenshots of the different trucks. Cooter changed trucks probably as often as he changed his underwear! LOL

Of course, now Hoss has all these great screenshots. He even grabbed a couple more that I missed. I shoulda just asked Hoss to do this. ;)

I'm not sure of the make and model of this truck ...

CooterVan0307.jpg

I've been doing some research into this vehicle. Originally I thought it looked like a larger version of the security truck from 'Money to Burn' (or Swamp Molly's arms truck). That's a 1969 Dodge P-200 Step Van.

DodgeP200.jpg

Eventually, after loads of searching, I found a couple of pictures of this van. Apart from the location of the turn signals and lights along the roof it's pretty much the same. It looks like it's quite a rare vehicle. The body is made of aluminum by Flxible Southern, and this one is on a 1966 Chevy P-30 chassis, although other chassis were used.

Flxible.jpg

The van on the left of this advert again has the turn signals in a different place, but other than that it's the same.

Flxible2.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
By the end of season 4 Cooter is driving this 1968 GMC. The wrecker bed looks like the same as the one on the blue and white Ford (without the towing dolly). Maybe the Ford broke and needed replacing (like when Daisy went to a '71 Road Runner because the newer car was unreliable). This picture is from 'Miss Tri-Counties'.

TowTruck0424.jpg

As well as the tow trucks, Cooter had a few other trucks. This green 1968 Chevy appeared a few times, and I think it was also the truck used by LB Davenport. This picture is from 'Witness for the Persecution' where Boss spends much of the episode rolling around in the back.

Pickup0209.jpg

A couple of episodes later and Cooter has a blue 1969 Chevy for 'People's Choice'. Emery Potter's wedding takes place on the back of it. Surprisingly, the Chevy badge has been left on the hood. After the first few episodes most of the other vehicles have their badges removed or covered with tape.

Pickup0211.jpg

I'm not sure of the make and model of this truck that Cooter owned in 'Uncle Boss'. I think the sign on the side said 'Cooter's Garage' and 'Reliable Auto Repairs'. Cooter needed an enclosed truck for this episode because he used it hide Hughie Hogg's VW Beetle in the back.

CooterVan0307.jpg

Cooter also had a large variety of 'loaner' cars, but that's another story ...

Cool old truck pics. My father in law have one old truck. I am visiting his home next weekend so will get some pics of the truck.. I would love to get one:)