1965 Chevy Impala

Swamp Molly

I noticed in The Ghost of the General Lee, and I think in a few other episodes too, there is a white Chevy Impala; in The Ghost episode it's parked downtown when the General is 'driving itself'. Can anyone tell me for sure if this is a '65? It looks like a '65 four door, which is a hard to find car.

My brother had a '65 Chevy Impala four door; he passed away a few years back at 19. We still have his car, and we collect anything we can that is a '65 Impala - especially if it's a four door.

Just a random thought, if anyone wanted to give some feedback.

I noticed in The Ghost of the General Lee, and I think in a few other episodes too, there is a white Chevy Impala; in The Ghost episode it's parked downtown when the General is 'driving itself'. Can anyone tell me for sure if this is a '65? It looks like a '65 four door, which is a hard to find car.

My brother had a '65 Chevy Impala four door; he passed away a few years back at 19. We still have his car, and we collect anything we can that is a '65 Impala - especially if it's a four door.

Just a random thought, if anyone wanted to give some feedback.

What a great question. The 1965 and 1966 Impalas have nearly identical grills, and I can't tell them apart myself without looking at the tail lights. The 1965 Impala has the three round tail lights on each side. The 1966 has the rectangular/squared taillights on each side.

I'll have to watch the episode again and see if I can figure it out. You've got me curious.

My condolences on the loss of your brother, who left you at such a young age. Keeping his Impala and furthering the collection of this vintage Chevy is a great tribute.

If you're not already aware of it, the National Impala Association can be a very helpful resource. There's a nominal membership fee, but you may find the networking opportunities useful:

http://www.nationalimpala.com/

Brian obviously knows more about these cars than I do but, going by his description, I'd say the car in 'The Ghost of General Lee' is a 4 door '65 Impala. The rear view clearly shows the three circular lights he mentioned, confirming that it's not a '66:

Impala1.jpg

It's not surprising that they're gettting rarer with Rosco around, they show him hitting it twice in the same chase (same crash from different angles). This shot was the best I could get of the front:

Impala2.jpg

What a great question. The 1965 and 1966 Impalas have nearly identical grills, and I can't tell them apart myself without looking at the tail lights. The 1965 Impala has the three round tail lights on each side. The 1966 has the rectangular/squared taillights on each side.

I'll have to watch the episode again and see if I can figure it out. You've got me curious.

My condolences on the loss of your brother, who left you at such a young age. Keeping his Impala and furthering the collection of this vintage Chevy is a great tribute.

If you're not already aware of it, the National Impala Association can be a very helpful resource. There's a nominal membership fee, but you may find the networking opportunities useful:

http://www.nationalimpala.com/

Thanks for the link!! I never knew this group existed! We're in the process of restoring the Impala, so maybe this would help. It's hard to find parts for them. Well, some parts; some are a dime a dozen, then there are some things that are nearly impossible to find without paying an arm and a leg.

We keep the Impala going; I take it to car shows and put his name on it. The car community in our county - they grieved his loss very much. Our mayor, right after he passed, at a car show dedicated the Mayor's Choice award in my brother's name; he told the crowd, "He was going to be one of the great car restorer's among us." My brother spent time with my dad in the garage from the time he was a baby. My dad has been painting for 40 years now.

My brother placed 3rd in the state at a welding competition amongst all the schools in Michigan. He also had a '73 Marathon Checker Cab he was restoring, but Dad decided it was too much and sent it off to the yard.

My brother was a complex person. He was into his cars, always running in and out of the garage working on something - almost like a mad scientist. lol Through school, he had no mufflers on his Impala and had long hair... He graduated with honors. Then he decided to go into law enforcement, cut all his hair off, and started going to college. He was only with us for 19 years, but he never sat idle - he was always making the most of his life. He died in July 2007 from a pulmonary embolism; it was unexpected and devestating. We still grieve him very much. You will hear me make a lot of reference to him. We were like 2 peas in a pod.

Thank you for the condolences.

I watched the episode on my computer last night and I do think it's a '65. I'm looking too at the picture Hoss posted.

Brian obviously knows more about these cars than I do but, going by his description, I'd say the car in 'The Ghost of General Lee' is a 4 door '65 Impala. The rear view clearly shows the three circular lights he mentioned, confirming that it's not a '66:

Impala1.jpg

It's not surprising that they're gettting rarer with Rosco around, they show him hitting it twice in the same chase (same crash from different angles). This shot was the best I could get of the front:

Impala2.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Hoss. I am definitely sure it is a '65. Although, it might be a Caprice though too. They are almost identical. I'll have to show a picture to my dad. lol He's about the only person I know that can pick it down and tell me the differences. After my brother's passing, his best friend bought a '65 Caprice four door. I myself couldn't see any differences between them - but Dad could. lol

They are beautiful cars though!! 1965, my brother used to say, first year of the wide body.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

I started watching all the episodes in order starting on Jan 1 and by amazing coincidence I just saw episode 6 of season 2 tonight before I logged in......yep, you guessed it....Ghost of General Lee. That Impala (or Caprice) looks like an antique but at the time it was only 15 years old.

In that episode it's hard to hold back the tears when Rosco tells Jesse (and others) that Bo and Luke died. I wish real life was as sweet as Hazzard where we all have happy endings but unfortunately it's not.

I'm very impressed with your tribute to him. Your brother was very blessed to have a great sister like you.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

I started watching all the episodes in order starting on Jan 1 and by amazing coincidence I just saw episode 6 of season 2 tonight before I logged in......yep, you guessed it....Ghost of General Lee. That Impala (or Caprice) looks like an antique but at the time it was only 15 years old.

In that episode it's hard to hold back the tears when Rosco tells Jesse (and others) that Bo and Luke died. I wish real life was as sweet as Hazzard where we all have happy endings but unfortunately it's not.

I'm very impressed with your tribute to him. Your brother was very blessed to have a great sister like you.

Thank you Roger.

Yeah, what really got me in the episode was when Jesse walked across the floor, after hearing the news, and he sat down; Roscoe sat down next to him.. Roscoe goes on to say how he had to get after the boys a little, and how he thinks they liked it a little and he did too, but there was never any harm meant. When he says how they and he both liked it a little, I always cry and laugh at the same time. The kicker after that is when he puts his hand down next to Jesse, Jesse puts his hand on top of Roscoe's.

Roscoe actually shows remorse for what's happened. Sure wish I could say the same for Boss. I know that Boss being callous in front of Jesse was part of the storyline, but it tugged on my heart strings a little because of him and Jesse going so far back, timewise. Although, there are other episodes where the boys were in danger and Boss was worried for them.

So Molly, did you ever find out if the car in 'The Ghost of General Lee' is a Caprice or an Impala?.

Cooter was working on this car in 'The Meeting' - it looks like a 2 door '62 Impala.

Impala3.jpg

This one is definitely a 2 door Impala; haven't found out about the other one yet. Probably this weekend. I've been swamped with school (no pun intended). lol

The Ghost episode aired last night on CMT, and I seen that Roscoe slammed into it with his patrol car. It makes me wonder how many times that happened and how many of them may have been used in taping. That might be part of the reason why there's a shortage? lol

• 2 weeks later...
This one is definitely a 2 door Impala; haven't found out about the other one yet. Probably this weekend. I've been swamped with school (no pun intended). lol

The Ghost episode aired last night on CMT, and I seen that Roscoe slammed into it with his patrol car. It makes me wonder how many times that happened and how many of them may have been used in taping. That might be part of the reason why there's a shortage? lol

I'm guessing the other one is an Impala. Near as I can read from the emblem on the driver's side, front quarter-panel, just behind the wheel well.

That's the one beef I have with the Dukes of Hazzard, as an Impala owner, is they kept beatin' those cars up. Can't say too much tho', considering how many 1969 Dodge Chargers bit the dust.

To give you a theory on scarcity - one of the things that contributed to the wholesale demise of vintage cars, is demo derbies. A few years ago I saw a demo derby in Virginia that broke my heart. Classic cars from the 60's and early 70's were being smashed like they were nothing. I'm talking cars that had solid bodies and straight frames and didn't look like there was a dang thing wrong with them.

Sometimes people don't know what something is worth, until it's gone.

That's the one beef I have with the Dukes of Hazzard, as an Impala owner, is they kept beatin' those cars up. Can't say too much tho', considering how many 1969 Dodge Chargers bit the dust.

I remember that Plymouth Fury/Belvedere owners had a similar complaint when 'Christine' was made. I think the movie highlighted the model, and as a result there are probably more around today than would otherwise be the case.

A few years ago I saw a demo derby in Virginia that broke my heart.

I get a monthly UK magazine called Classic American, and the guy who goes around US junk yards photographing possible restoration projects made the same point this month. It also reminded me of a TV interview I saw with a guy who owned several late '50s Cadillac. He fell on hard times and had to sell them, only to discover later that the buyer had chopped them up to make booths for a themed restaurant :(.